Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2677 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator Trailer
19. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Trailer Dec 23, 2009, 02:22 Scottish Martial Arts

how about material from the game itself

Yeah, cause carefully produced marketing material is a great indicator.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Trailer Dec 23, 2009, 00:18 Scottish Martial Arts

I don`t care about their track record of other games. All I know is that I (and many) loved AVP Jaguar and PC version.

I don't know how to make this any clearer: the people that made the AvP games that everyone remembers fondly DON'T WORK AT REBELLION ANYMORE. The people that ARE actually making the new AvP game have made some really bad games in recent years. Just because a company is called Rebellion doesn't mean it's the same company it was a decade and a half ago.

So which is a better predictor: the games made over a decade ago by a team that isn't working on the new game, or recent games made by the team that IS working on the new game?

To be clear I want this game to be good. I love the AvP series, at least the games -- never bothered with the movies -- but given the utter crap that Rebellion puts out these days I'm remaining sceptical until I play a demo.

13. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Trailer Dec 22, 2009, 21:43 Scottish Martial Arts

How can anyone be worried about this title when it was Rebellion who perfected and brought it to us on PC in the first place?

Because that was over a decade ago and the bulk of the team behind the original is long gone? You need only look at Rebellion's track record to see that they have consistently produced mediocre and bad games for years now.

They simply could not do that with Rogue Warrior.

They couldn't reference the million or so modern day, military themed shooters that are out there? Okay...

6. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Trailer Dec 22, 2009, 18:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Damn, I thought that sounded like Henriksen. But he's actually playing Bishop? Or is that name just a reference, and not the same character?

I'm not an Aliens lore expert by any means, but my understanding is that the Bishop android was modeled after one of the bigwigs behind Weyland-Yutani. In this case, Henrickson is playing the executive and not the android.

1. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Trailer Dec 22, 2009, 16:59 Scottish Martial Arts

Wow, nice trailer! Still worried about Rebellion being behind the wheel after Rogue Warrior though...  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Patched
5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Patched Dec 20, 2009, 02:53 Scottish Martial Arts

Ha Ha. I don't see how that could even be misconstrued that way to anyone with any modicum of reading comprehension. The subject is "several bugs," not "fixes." >_>

Blue has since revised the sentence. The original line read: "A whole bunch of bug fixes are the order of the day, including several that could result in server crashes."

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 19, 2009, 05:07 Scottish Martial Arts

Saw this posted a few days ago another forum. The look on everyone's face after the first private screening is priceless.  

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 2 Reviews Will Exceed the Original
27. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2009, 17:25 Scottish Martial Arts

Seriously man. According to you there's Fallout, and nothing else was ever created that was worth anything. Calling Mass Effect's writing "shit" is just insane.

I freely admit that my all time favorite games are all about a decade old. That said games still come out that I really enjoy. Of games that were released in the last few years I absolutely loved Supreme Commander, The Orange Box, Left 4 Dead, NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. I also enjoyed Command and Conquer 3, Crysis, F.E.A.R. 2, STALKER, Bioshock, and the WoW expansions. I still like video games, there are just fewer and fewer that really wow me.

17. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 2 Reviews Will Exceed the Original Dec 18, 2009, 06:06 Scottish Martial Arts

It's one of the better written games out there...

Which says a lot more about the abysmal standard of writing of video games than it does about whether or not the writing in Mass Effect was any good. Hint: It wasn't.

there's just flat out no way that you can call the game terribly voiced.

Uh, male Shepard voice? Any of the non-major NPCs? Any of the alien characters? Keith David, Lance Henrickson, and Jennifer Hale were all fine, but the rest of the voice was pretty middling.

If you want a shooter, play a shooter. RPG's have dialog

I didn't say I wanted a shooter, I said I wanted better writing. For the record, I've played through the entire Ultima series, the Gold Box series, the Infinity engine games, both Fallouts, both Neverwinter Nights, Darklands, KotOR series, and a smattering of the Might and Magic and Wizardry series, so I think it's safe to say I know what an RPG is and can be called a fan of the genre. Oh and I played through Mass Effect too.

All that said, dialogue has to serve a purpose, otherwise it's boring. Dialogue becomes interesting when it is full of characterization, establishes dramatic tension or releases it, or advances the plot. If you're dialogue isn't actively DOING something, if every word doesn't serve some greater purpose, then the reader/viewer quickly loses interest. By and large, video game dialogue tends to exist just to advance the plot where the speakers are just interchangable mouth pieces for the player's next objective. With this in mind, video game dialogue needs to get to the fucking point so that the action of the story can move along. Ever heard the phrase "Brevity is the soul of wit"? That applies here. Hearing characters drone on and on with hackneyed, laughably bad lines is hardly an entertaining experience.

Bioware needs to either take an editor's pen to their script and slash the bloated dialogue to the bare essentials, or higher more talented writers who can actually come up with something interesting for the characters to say for all their lines, and not just a few.

15. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2009, 05:16 Scottish Martial Arts

Let's hope it doesn't exceed the original's excessive dialogue. More action less talk please.

Hear, hear. Either that or hire writers who can actually write dialogue. It's bad enough that they recycle the characters and plot from game to game, but on top of that they give us tons of terribly written and voiced dialogue to suffer through. I often wonder if their writers have ever read anything other than shared-fiction sci-fi and fantasy series, because that's the only explanation I can come up with for a "writer" to actually write this shit.

News Comments > Infinity Ward on MW2 Fixes
11. Re: Infinity Ward on MW2 Fixes Dec 18, 2009, 04:32 Scottish Martial Arts

quit your crying, there is plenty of other games to play so if you cant stand mw2 for some bug stop playing it play something else and wait for a fix.

Except that -- you know -- he paid sixty bucks to be able to play it, not to wait around for them to fix it.

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Beta Access and Trailer
3. Re: Command & Conquer 4 Beta Access and Trailer Dec 12, 2009, 19:40 Scottish Martial Arts

the Nod Cyborg Commando, a mechanized infantry unit.

Not quite. Mechanized infantry are infantry that ride into battle in armored vehicles, then dismount to fight while the armored vehicle provides support. Mechanized infantry is designed to work in tandem with tanks, where the armored vehicles allow the infantry to keep pace with the tanks, then once contact is made with the enemy, the infantry can dismount and fight as infantry in support of the tanks. Mechanized infantry is distinct from motorized infantry, in that motorized infantry is carried around in trucks, which are unarmored, and therefore can't be safely brought directly into contact with the enemy. Therefore, motorized infantry will dismount several kilometers away from the enemy and move to contact on foot.

In the case of this NOD unit, he's best described as power armored infantry.

News Comments > Call of Duty: World at War Patch & Server
7. Re: Call of Duty: World at War Patch & Server Nov 25, 2009, 02:49 Scottish Martial Arts

Yeah ah.. buying the game 'as is' would make the devs think that us smarter gamers are okay with the game in its current state.. of course we are not.

As others have pointed out we're screwed either way. If we buy the game then they conclude that we'll accept a gutted, neutered product. If we don't buy the game then they decide the PC market is no longer worth developing for.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 02:50.

News Comments > Warcraft 4 Probably Years Off
15. Re: Warcraft 4 Probably Years Off Nov 23, 2009, 20:50 Scottish Martial Arts

Yeah, I just wanted everything under the b.net store, since I can login and download my other blizz games from there.

Bah. Real gamers still have their boxed retail copies.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2009, 20:51.

News Comments > Dark Forces II Steam Tips
2. Re: Dark Forces II Steam Tips Sep 17, 2009, 12:49 Scottish Martial Arts

Started playing Dark Forces II last night. The engine hasn't exactly aged well, but it's still damn fun!

Yeah, the engine has aged, but the game hasn't. Still one of the greatest first person shooters ever made.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Aug 28, 2009, 12:14 Scottish Martial Arts

I got the feeling that the article had the 10+ years old titles from those companies in mind.  

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2 Slo-mo Science Trailer
4. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 Slo-mo Science Trailer Aug 14, 2009, 02:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Still no server files, what the fuck monolith.

They announced awhile back on the forums that they won't be releasing server files. It was at that point I decided that I won't be buying their next game.

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes Stats
1. Re: Battlefield Heroes Stats Aug 13, 2009, 13:49 Scottish Martial Arts

Did BF Heroes launch already?  

News Comments > New Left 4 Dead DLC Next Month
25. Re: New L4D DLC Nears Aug 4, 2009, 18:04 Scottish Martial Arts

That's not a fact, and it's certainly debatable.

He did preface that statement by acknowledging that it was opinion, and you may or may not agree. That said, I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Valve titles are worth the wait.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2009, 15:11 Scottish Martial Arts

I was going to recommend Cal's in Chelsea, but in looking for a link I discovered that the place has closed down since last I was in New York. Crap.  

2677 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo