Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2696 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 E3 Trailer
6. Re: Portal 2 E3 Trailer Jun 15, 2010, 18:43 Scottish Martial Arts

Looks good. I'm sure it will be fun. I can't believe a PS3 port was the surprise.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PS3 Portal 2
5. Re: PS3 Portal 2 Jun 15, 2010, 17:10 Scottish Martial Arts

So this was the surprise? Damn it, Valve.  

News Comments > Avadon: The Black Fortress Interview
2. Re: Avadon: The Black Fortress Interview Jun 15, 2010, 04:01 Scottish Martial Arts

Hmm, looks fine to me. I honestly can't think of a game where good graphics made it more enjoyable than it otherwise would have been.  

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Digital Incentives
9. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Digital Incentives Jun 11, 2010, 21:37 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2010, 21:16:
Fuck digital! I want some more stuff like a lunchbox and bobblehead. Now that was worth the CE price!

I donno, my bobblehead sits in the lunchbox, which in turn sits under my bed. The only reason I bought the collector's edition was that the standard edition had sold out.

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: obsidian Jun 9, 2010, 02:30 Scottish Martial Arts

space captain wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 23:02:
i get the feeling that once this project came along, nearly all work on alpha protocol came to a stop

because yeh.. its a hot mess

I haven't played it yet, but it sounds like the consensus is that it's yet another Obsidian diamond in the rough?

News Comments > Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor
18. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 8, 2010, 23:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Rosco wrote on Jun 8, 2010, 22:49:
I'd still wish it would be They Hunger: Lost Souls

Isn't that dead in the water? The amateur level designer who made the first 3 They Hungers, plus that really awesome vanilla HL level pack, doesn't seem to be making levels anymore.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Trailer
8. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Trailer Jun 7, 2010, 03:34 Scottish Martial Arts

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 22:00:
I just finished the second one last night. It was okay; nothing great, though.

It looks like you play as Paxton Fettel in this one. I thought he died at the end of the first game?

If you're interested, check out the FEAR 2 DLC. It explains why Fettel is back among the living, or at least haunting the living, or something.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 7, 2010, 01:10 Scottish Martial Arts

Sepharo wrote on Jun 7, 2010, 00:32:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 6, 2010, 23:58:
Doesn't mean a coke can is art.

A can of Coke most certainly is art.

You're being facetious, right?

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2010, 23:58 Scottish Martial Arts

Um... don't most videogames have art directors and 3D modellers in the end credits? The question is solved a priori.

I'm sure there was an artist who designed the promotional World Cup images on my can of coke. Doesn't mean a coke can is art.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2010, 19:59 Scottish Martial Arts

Gamers need to study art history. The "Is it art?" question was answered decades ago.

Out of curiosity, what is Art History's answer? I spent my college years studying Greek and Latin, and under the rubric of literature video games make very poor art. I'm curious though to hear what someone more knowledgeable of the visual arts would make of video games.

Also, I completely agree with Hump. There's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying a pleasant distraction from time to time. There's no need to try to justify killing zombies or leveling your character with the label of "art"; it justifies itself. Also, trying to classify games as art, as if Half-Life has as much to say about the human condition as Paradise Lost, is a pretty effective way of limiting your intellectual horizons. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a pleasant distraction, but if you're looking for something more meaningful there are much better places to look than in video games, so you shouldn't pretend otherwise.

News Comments > Portal 2 Surprise Planned
13. Re: Portal 2 Surprise Planned Jun 1, 2010, 18:49 Scottish Martial Arts

ASeven wrote on Jun 1, 2010, 18:36:
At this point I don't think it's HL2:Ep3 but rather HL3. And maybe that's the surprise.

I hope it's something like that. It occurred to me that this Fall it will have been 6 years since Half-Life 2 was released. It was also 6 years between Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2. So much for quick, episodic releases, huh? At least Valve seems to have gotten their scheduling act together, with their last few projects shipping on time.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alpha Protocol
11. Re: Maybe it's me.... Jun 1, 2010, 18:46 Scottish Martial Arts

Actually, "gem in the rough" describes pretty much all Obsidian games. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

So true. If only Obsidian could hire some more talented programmers and have larger budgets for their projects, because they really have the best writing team in the industry, and their design is always very ambitious, in a good way.

News Comments > Shogun 2: Total War Revealed?
14. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 18:12 Scottish Martial Arts

S2M wrote on May 28, 2010, 14:04:
I wonder if this will be the Total War that fucking works instead of the last two abortions.

Seriously. Shipping with some AI for once would be a nice improvement. I remember reading that they have just 1 programmer working on the AI for their games. Just 1! It certainly shows.

News Comments > Total War Countdown
17. Re: American Civil War? May 25, 2010, 18:59 Scottish Martial Arts

joe2tiger wrote on May 25, 2010, 15:17:
I think the next likely step would be the American Civil War. During that time period, warfare was also very active around other parts of the globe too! I think that would be very exciting. If they are going to do a sequel, I honestly want them to go back to Japan on Shogun Total War.

The American Civil War would work phenomenally well as a Total War game. Of course, since it would be a Total War game, there would be no pathfinding or enemy AI whatsoever rendering the coolness of the concept completely moot.

A WWI game would be difficult to pull off. Were it me, I would limit the focus to August 1914, from the German invasion of Belgium through the Miracle at the Marne. The German goal for the campaign would be to avoid getting hung up the Marne, and instead driving on to Paris thus ending the war. The French and British, meanwhile, would need to do what they did historically: stop the momentum of the German advance so that Paris is no longer directly threatened. During that month, while there were extreme casualties, the war was very much one of mobility and maneuver.

News Comments > 3DMark 11 Announced
8. Re: 3DMark 11 Announced May 25, 2010, 03:58 Scottish Martial Arts

killer_roach wrote on May 24, 2010, 18:36:
zirik wrote on May 24, 2010, 17:16:
FPS underwater? didnt we have aquanox already?

Darn, you beat me to it...

Wasn't that more of a space-sim style game, just underwater?

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Changes
6. Re: Fallout New Vegas Changes May 25, 2010, 03:56 Scottish Martial Arts

I know it's an RPG, but one thing I never really liked was that as you increase your skill in a gun skill, those guns do more damage. Realistically, that makes no since, especially now that that it is an FPS RPG. Just because you're more skilled at using a gun, it doesn't magically make its bullet do more damage.

That's only the case in Fallout 3. In the previous games, skill affected your accuracy and was pretty much essential if you wanted to use a weapon. Damage was fixed for each weapon, although using different ammo types affected your potential damage, i.e. AP rounds did half-damage but ignored armor damage threshold vs. JHP rounds which did full-damage but were stopped by heavier armors.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer
20. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 May 19, 2010, 23:30 Scottish Martial Arts

From the article:

A new F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer combines live action sequences with gameplay footage to promote F.E.A.R. 3

Come on, guys, are we really debating whether the live action footage is live action?

Oh, and Point Man looks like Paxton Fettel, because the two of them are brothers, and Paxton Fettel is alive and kicking after the events of FEAR2: Reborn.

News Comments > Epic on Piracy and PCs
99. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 19:42 Scottish Martial Arts

People who think piracy leads to lost sales have evidently never heard of a demand curve. Jesus, the suits ruining gaming, in addition to knowing shit about games, apparently don't know shit about basic microeconomics either.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation May 5, 2010, 06:31 Scottish Martial Arts

I have fond memories of Goldeneye. Admittedly, it was the first FPS I played seriously. I had played the shareware for Doom and Quake prior to it, but for whatever reason hadn't gotten into them: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II was the first PC shooter I totally got into. At any rate, I remember really liking the objective system and non-linear levels. Multiplayer was of course a blast, particularly 4 person last man standing on Facility. I haven't played the game since '98 or so, so I have no idea if it has held up at all.  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Should we thank Roger? Apr 23, 2010, 20:19 Scottish Martial Arts

That so many people have been defending games (the majority of comments on Ebert's own blog, well over 1000, defend games as art) shows that games have taken their place along side other types of artistic culture

Couldn't it also just mean that most gamers have bad taste? Don't get me wrong, I love games, but even at their best they're pretty shallow and crass compared to, say, Plato's Republic or Paradise Lost.

2696 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo