Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2645 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Alpha Protocol
11. Re: Maybe it's me.... Jun 1, 2010, 18:46 Scottish Martial Arts

Actually, "gem in the rough" describes pretty much all Obsidian games. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

So true. If only Obsidian could hire some more talented programmers and have larger budgets for their projects, because they really have the best writing team in the industry, and their design is always very ambitious, in a good way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shogun 2: Total War Revealed?
14. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 18:12 Scottish Martial Arts

S2M wrote on May 28, 2010, 14:04:
I wonder if this will be the Total War that fucking works instead of the last two abortions.

Seriously. Shipping with some AI for once would be a nice improvement. I remember reading that they have just 1 programmer working on the AI for their games. Just 1! It certainly shows.

News Comments > Total War Countdown
17. Re: American Civil War? May 25, 2010, 18:59 Scottish Martial Arts

joe2tiger wrote on May 25, 2010, 15:17:
I think the next likely step would be the American Civil War. During that time period, warfare was also very active around other parts of the globe too! I think that would be very exciting. If they are going to do a sequel, I honestly want them to go back to Japan on Shogun Total War.

The American Civil War would work phenomenally well as a Total War game. Of course, since it would be a Total War game, there would be no pathfinding or enemy AI whatsoever rendering the coolness of the concept completely moot.

A WWI game would be difficult to pull off. Were it me, I would limit the focus to August 1914, from the German invasion of Belgium through the Miracle at the Marne. The German goal for the campaign would be to avoid getting hung up the Marne, and instead driving on to Paris thus ending the war. The French and British, meanwhile, would need to do what they did historically: stop the momentum of the German advance so that Paris is no longer directly threatened. During that month, while there were extreme casualties, the war was very much one of mobility and maneuver.

News Comments > 3DMark 11 Announced
8. Re: 3DMark 11 Announced May 25, 2010, 03:58 Scottish Martial Arts

killer_roach wrote on May 24, 2010, 18:36:
zirik wrote on May 24, 2010, 17:16:
FPS underwater? didnt we have aquanox already?

Darn, you beat me to it...

Wasn't that more of a space-sim style game, just underwater?

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas Changes
6. Re: Fallout New Vegas Changes May 25, 2010, 03:56 Scottish Martial Arts

I know it's an RPG, but one thing I never really liked was that as you increase your skill in a gun skill, those guns do more damage. Realistically, that makes no since, especially now that that it is an FPS RPG. Just because you're more skilled at using a gun, it doesn't magically make its bullet do more damage.

That's only the case in Fallout 3. In the previous games, skill affected your accuracy and was pretty much essential if you wanted to use a weapon. Damage was fixed for each weapon, although using different ammo types affected your potential damage, i.e. AP rounds did half-damage but ignored armor damage threshold vs. JHP rounds which did full-damage but were stopped by heavier armors.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer
20. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 May 19, 2010, 23:30 Scottish Martial Arts

From the article:

A new F.E.A.R. 3 "Point Man" Trailer combines live action sequences with gameplay footage to promote F.E.A.R. 3

Come on, guys, are we really debating whether the live action footage is live action?

Oh, and Point Man looks like Paxton Fettel, because the two of them are brothers, and Paxton Fettel is alive and kicking after the events of FEAR2: Reborn.

News Comments > Epic on Piracy and PCs
99. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 19:42 Scottish Martial Arts

People who think piracy leads to lost sales have evidently never heard of a demand curve. Jesus, the suits ruining gaming, in addition to knowing shit about games, apparently don't know shit about basic microeconomics either.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation May 5, 2010, 06:31 Scottish Martial Arts

I have fond memories of Goldeneye. Admittedly, it was the first FPS I played seriously. I had played the shareware for Doom and Quake prior to it, but for whatever reason hadn't gotten into them: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II was the first PC shooter I totally got into. At any rate, I remember really liking the objective system and non-linear levels. Multiplayer was of course a blast, particularly 4 person last man standing on Facility. I haven't played the game since '98 or so, so I have no idea if it has held up at all.  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Should we thank Roger? Apr 23, 2010, 20:19 Scottish Martial Arts

That so many people have been defending games (the majority of comments on Ebert's own blog, well over 1000, defend games as art) shows that games have taken their place along side other types of artistic culture

Couldn't it also just mean that most gamers have bad taste? Don't get me wrong, I love games, but even at their best they're pretty shallow and crass compared to, say, Plato's Republic or Paradise Lost.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 23, 2010, 18:17 Scottish Martial Arts

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite book and movie, Tanto Edge?  

News Comments > Penny Arcade Adventures Discontinued
7. Re: Penny Arcade Adventures Discontinued Mar 30, 2010, 04:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Humor : Penny Arcade :: Oil : Water  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: no more consoles!!! Mar 29, 2010, 22:43 Scottish Martial Arts

space captain wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 22:10:
i want some of the shit that market analyst is smoking

what the holy hell - "hi there im a bean counter thats never touched a video game in my entire life, so let me tell you how video game technology will play out for the rest of all time"

Did you read the article or just the headline? This beancounter actually makes a pretty compelling argument.

News Comments > C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans
19. Re: C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans Mar 29, 2010, 17:01 Scottish Martial Arts

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 09:06:
Never heard of it.

I don't see how you can dismiss the idea though... a persistent ranking system with a base you level up, like CnC4 has, but with more traditional CnC gameplay outside of that, along with tons of maps, modes and units, all online all the time, could easily be the best RTS release in years for me.

I like the CnC story, but now that it's over I would like to see a game in the Battlefield vein.

Sole Survivor was an online only Command and Conquer title released during Christmas '97. Essentially it recreated class-based team first person shooter gameplay, a la QW Team Fortress which was massively popular back then, in the Command and Conquer Gold engine. You would pick a unit from the roster of GDI and NOD units, be assigned to a team, and would then control your unit alongside your team in games of CTF, "football", king of the hill, and deathmatch. Your unit would level up as it got kills and collected pickups, which would sometimes include single-use special abilities like an Ion Cannon strike. It was a neat idea on paper but was absolutely terrible in practice, never catching on, selling poorly, and quickly falling into obscurity, which would explain why you've never heard of it.

Sounds like your idea, now that you've fleshed it out a bit, is a bit different. Nevertheless, Sole Survivor is a game that should never be emulated.

News Comments > C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans
15. Re: C&C4 Patch & MP Map Plans Mar 29, 2010, 07:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Or just an online-only Battlefield type game, but with CnC, and more of a classic style. That could have rocked.

Command and Conquer: Sole Survivor called, and it wants its terrible idea back.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2010, 02:24 Scottish Martial Arts

Fallout fanboys can never get another good RPG, unless that RPG is made 100% of pure, blinding nostalgia.

Yeah, cause video games are just SO fucking good these days.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2010, 17:29 Scottish Martial Arts

What Fallout fans wanted was Fallout 3. What we got was The Elder Scrolls: Washington, D.C. I'm still amazed that people don't understand why longtime fans of a series might be disappointed by a sequel whose gameplay doesn't even remotely resemble its predecessors. When a spin-off game, Fallout Tactics, has more gameplay in common with its predecessors than the supposed direct sequal, you have a problem. Honestly, if you boil Fallout down to Supermutants, Vaults, and the Brotherhood of Steel, what you're left with really isn't even all that good. Gameplay made Fallout great, and yet Fallout 3 played like the Elder Scrolls. No wonder fans didn't care for it.  

News Comments > Deus Ex 3 Image
12. Re: Deus Ex 3 Image Mar 5, 2010, 05:26 Scottish Martial Arts

The original game did not sell very well, and is more a cult favorite than anything.

Deus Ex far exceeded all sales projections made by Ion Storm and Eidos. Did it sell 14 million copies like Modern Warfare 2? No, but the game was a huge financial success for all the parties involved and proved to be highly profitable.

News Comments > Tim Cain Interview
6. Re: Tim Cain Interview Feb 23, 2010, 17:38 Scottish Martial Arts

Probably because every game you released required 847,000 patches to become marginally playable, maybe? You think?

Eh, that's not really true. Arcanum was stable and mostly bug-free at release. I just completed two back to back playthroughs of VTMB with only the single official patch, released in December 2004, and had no crashes and the most significant "bug" I encountered was that the Malkavian script needed another proofreading pass. ToEE was buggy at release and had a serious memory leak in the Elemental Nodes. ToEE also had serious problems with XP Service Pack 2. In otherwords, ToEE is really the only seriously buggy game they released.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Underway
11. Re: StarCraft II Beta Underway Feb 17, 2010, 18:41 Scottish Martial Arts

I only learned you could register your CD keys on Battle.net today.

Oh well, I'm set for the next beta.

That's no guarantee for getting in

News Comments > Diablo III Female Monk Reveal
15. Re: Diablo III Female Monk Reveal Feb 10, 2010, 03:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Honestly, you don't need intelligence to play this game... just an index finger on each hand.
One for clicking shit, the other for using potions... unless you're one of those unruly folks who can click faster than I can hotkey.

Sounds like you never played past the normal difficulty level. Diablo isn't that complex a game, but on nightmare and hell it gets a lot more involved, where character builds, ability usage, and tactics play a much larger role. Chugging potions will only take you so far.

And Bioware? Seriously? The company that's been making the same fucking game over and over again since 2002? When even xbox players are talking about how dumbed down Mass Effect 2 is, you know it's bad.

2645 Comments. 133 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo