Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2681 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup
19. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 10:41 Scottish Martial Arts

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:33:
You're opinion. Guess what? Not everyone thinks like you.

So you really think Bioware has improved since BG2? Seems to me that they've just gotten more self-indulgent and formulaic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leaked
59. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 15:55 Scottish Martial Arts

Sorry to interrupt the circle jerk, but the author of the article has admitted his mistake and amended the article.  

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
7. Re: Evening Screenshots Mar 2, 2012, 03:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Looks like an electronic version of Battletech.

Awesome.

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Takes Off
19. Re: Microsoft Flight Takes Off Feb 29, 2012, 15:25 Scottish Martial Arts

Civilian flight sims are about mastering procedures and flying carefully within narrow parameters. I find them a lot of fun, but if you're not willing to spend the time mastering those procedures, then simply flying around looking at scenery does get boring.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2012, 19:21 Scottish Martial Arts

So Blue, when are you going to cover the Jennifer Hepler story?  

News Comments > 2012 BAFTA Nominees
13. Re: re: 2010 BAFTA Nominees Feb 16, 2012, 17:22 Scottish Martial Arts

Meh, no mention of DCS: A-10C so list doesn't count.  

News Comments > BAFTA Audience Award Voting
5. Re: BAFTA Audience Award Voting Feb 9, 2012, 15:10 Scottish Martial Arts

Popular and good are not always synonomous.

True, but in this case Human Revolution did sell quite well.

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
2. Re: On Skyrim DLC Dec 11, 2011, 16:32 Scottish Martial Arts

I'd a lot rather prefer full expansions than bite-sized DLC. The Morrowind expansions were superb and full of content.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2011, 15:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Kastagir wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 14:15:
Too many people have recognized Obsidian's incompetence.

I do find it interesting that when Obsidian releases a buggy game, they're incompetent, but when Bethesda releases a buggy game, they're endearing.

News Comments > Take On Helicopters Demo
10. Re: Take On Helicopters Demo Nov 30, 2011, 19:38 Scottish Martial Arts

Alpha Geist wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 18:48:
Scottish Martial Arts, are/were you in the military as a pilot?

Afraid not. I did Army ROTC in college but wasn't able to get a commission for medical reasons. Were it not for the medical disqualification, I would've branched infantry or aviation. Tactics, military history, and military hardware and equipment remain one of my biggest interests, but any practical experience is limited to a handful of ROTC field training exercises.

7. Re: Take On Helicopters Demo Nov 30, 2011, 15:10 Scottish Martial Arts

DCS: Black Shark is the current gold standard for helicopter sims, and is only 20 bucks on Steam. It does simulate a coaxial configuration helicopter however, so the physics are a little different from a standard configuration helicopter. Still, 95% of the physical properties of helicopter flight are the same and would be a great aid to your understanding. Check out chapters 4 and 5 of the Black Shark flight manual, for more info on aerodynamics and physics of helicopter flight. You also might be interested in the US Army's field manual on the fundamentals of flight.  

5. Re: Take On Helicopters Demo Nov 30, 2011, 14:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Viranth wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 13:57:
Being used to BF3 helis, how much harder is this? hehe

I'll let you know once my glacial connection finishes downloading the demo.

I would imagine though that this is a step up from BF3 but not as difficult as DCS: Black Shark.

3. Re: Take On Helicopters Demo Nov 30, 2011, 13:55 Scottish Martial Arts

Not to my knowledge. I haven't been following the sim that closely, but the real heli pilots on the official forum have been complaining that a lot of stuff is missing, backwards, or just plain wrong with the flight model.  

1. Re: Take On Helicopters Demo Nov 30, 2011, 13:34 Scottish Martial Arts

Still in shock that the flight model for this sim doesn't model vortex ring states or retreating blade stalls. Makes me wonder what the point of a civil helicopter sim is if the only danger in flying a helicopter is running into the terrain. Still I'll probably check out this demo -- I do love flight sims.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
31. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 29, 2011, 19:51 Scottish Martial Arts

Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 14:13:
Man, that video.
I understand that for some people being a pilot is a dream, same with people in Japan buying that train simulator, but for me that crosses the line into "work, not game," with the likes of Animal Crossing and WoW.

It's actually quite fun if you don't insist on instant gratification. Much of what makes complex flight simulators so enjoyable is the sense of learning, and immediately putting into practice, a skill. If you like helicopters and learning more about them, then learning the work flow behind starting one up is immensely gratifying. And that's the other thing: just watching the video without any narration makes it look like you're flipping switches without rhyme or reason. What's actually going on is an organized process that follows the same general outline but allows for individual customization. The uploader's start-up procedure is quite different from mine, but knowing the general outline allowed me to follow what he was doing and predict what he was going to do next.

If you're curious the basic outline is as follows:
turn on battery or external power so you can start up the APU
turn on APU to power engine start up
start up engines
shut down APU
turn on electrically powered systems now that the engines are generating electrical power
configure systems/turn on miscellaneous systems
take off

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 28, 2011, 01:41 Scottish Martial Arts

Want to fire a Maverick at a target in Simulation Mode?

1. Make the HUD the Sensor of Interest (SOI ) by tapping the coolie hat up once.
2. Press the Master Mode Control Button until CCIP mode is set.
3. Tap the DMS left or right to call up the Maverick weapon profile.
4. Tap coolie right until the Maverick screen is displayed on the right MFCD.
(Alternatively, press the OSB button labeled “MAV”)
5. Press and hold coolie right to make the Maverick screen SOI.
(Alternatively, press the “MAV” OSB button a second time)
6. Use the slew control on the throttle to point the Maverick screen at the target.
7. No lock? Keep trying. Stabilize the Maverick sensor with respect to the ground by tapping the TMS key aft.
8. Once the target is locked (indicated by a flashing cross on the Maverick display), press and hold the weapons release button for at least 2 seconds to launch the missile.
9. Wait for the big gooey explosion.

The review makes it sound a lot more complicated than it is. Those steps are accurate, but it's all part of an intuitive workflow that you quickly pick up on. I use a checklist for startup and shutdown so I don't forget anything, but otherwise flying an A-10C is pretty straightforward. Learning all of the CDU functionality takes a little bit of time though, I'll give you that.

Edit: And yes, I'd say that DCS is superior to IL-2.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 27, 2011, 15:00 Scottish Martial Arts

I did get DCS:A10 though & its AWESOME!!

Thumbsup

Best flight simulator ever, imo.

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
25. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 04:09 Scottish Martial Arts

The 1988 one. The 2001 sequel is supposed to be one of the worst games ever made afaik.  

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
23. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 03:21 Scottish Martial Arts

Meh, I'm playing Pool of Radiance for the first time and loving it. Not seeing much need to give Bethesda my money.  

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Collections
22. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Collections Nov 10, 2011, 14:35 Scottish Martial Arts

And if you've been paying attention, you will have bought these off GOG for pennies in the past few months already anyway.

Or you still have your original boxed copies.

2681 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo