Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2708 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 May 9, 2013, 21:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Awesome trailer, as per usual for GlowingAmraam. Interestingly, this is less of a Flaming Cliffs 3 trailer and more of a DCS circa May 2013 trailer: in addition to the FC3 aircraft, the A-10C, KA-50, some tank from Combined Arms, and the recently released Huey all make an appearance.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization May 9, 2013, 12:49 Scottish Martial Arts

Aside from the initial lessons in the driving school car, I learned to drive in a manual transmission car: an '86 Volkswagen Quantum Synchro, essentially a VW stationwagon body built around an Audi engine. Best car I've ever driven, bar none. Sadly, as parts got rarer and rarer, it simply became too expensive to maintain: in the end, it needed a new $4000 catalytic converter to pass a smog check, despite only having a blue book value of under $500.

At any rate, perhaps out of nostalgia for my first car, I still prefer to drive stick, and when I'm in a position to buy my first new car, it's gonna be a manual.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only
14. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only May 9, 2013, 01:47 Scottish Martial Arts

A game with MP and SP is often half-assed at both.

While such a sentiment makes sense in theory -- resources are split between two divergent designs and thus neither is as good as it could have been if all the available resources had been devoted to one design -- I'm not sure it has worked out that way often enough in practice for it to be a reasonable induction. Doom, Jedi Knight II, Soldier of Fortune II, Ghost Recon, Return to Castle Wolfenstein: all, for their time, big budget games that had Single Player and Multiplayer components that were equally excellent. More recently you have Arma 2, Starcraft 2, and - if for someone reason you like console cover shooters this is agreed to be the pinnacle of the genre in both SP and MP -- Call of Duty Modern Ghost Ops at War XIX. I could probably list a bunch more recent games that were equally, or close to equally, good in single and multiplayer if I actually could stomach your average console title, but I can't, so most of my (all too limited) game time these days is spent with Digital Combat Simulator, which also happens to have outstanding single and multiplayer modes.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only
10. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only May 9, 2013, 00:23 Scottish Martial Arts

How long have we been saying we want SP and MP as separate entities?

I'm not so sure about that. Remember Unreal 2? How it had this awesome multiplayer that was cut at the last minute because Atari wanted "Unreal 2 to be SP and Unreal Tournament to be multiplayer"? And how Unreal 2 while pretty alright as a single player game didn't have enough content or spark to sustain an audience? And then, when sales failed to meet expecations, they patched back in the XMP multiplayer mode, and it remains one of the best multiplayer shooters ever? But by that time, Unreal 2 had failed at retail, and not enough people had a copy of Unreal 2 to sustain a community for the new multiplayer?

I'd be willing to bet that Unreal 2 would've been a much more successful game, both successful financially, and successful for those who tried to be a part of a new multiplayer community for a dying game, had they actually shipped a complete SP/MP product.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
5. Re: Diablo III Patched May 8, 2013, 00:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Beelzebud wrote on May 7, 2013, 22:54:
I just find it so frustrating, because i've always loved Diablo games, and the actual game play on this one is not bad at all.

They just completely lost the thread when they decided to tune everything around the damned auction houses.

That was my take as well. The game itself, that is killing challenging monsters with fun abilities, was quite good, but the itemization and economy were so hosed as to remove any long term viability to the game. I took my Demon Hunter part way through Inferno, and, although I had a great time doing it, I have no particular desire to pick it up again.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2013, 20:56 Scottish Martial Arts

ViRGE wrote on May 7, 2013, 19:24:
I probably should have been clearer. I was referring to the gameplay, not the lore.

Uh, has there ever been a Battletech CCG? There was Mechwarrior: Dark Ages, but that was more like Warhammer 40k -- buy the specific mini so it can be part of your army! -- as opposed to a CCG. Again, Mechwarrior Tactics is a video game version of (Classic) Battletech, a hex-based board game that optionally featured miniatures, with a monetized mech engineering (Want more heatsinks? BUY THEM!)component.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed May 6, 2013, 12:36 Scottish Martial Arts

So the fact that he brings up MechWarrior Tactics - itself based on a CCG - is fitting.

I thought MechWarrior Tactics was based on (Classic) Battletech, a miniature and hex based board game? You could spend money building up a collection of hand painted minis, but you could just as easily use basic counters to represent your units.

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders
9. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders May 1, 2013, 09:32 Scottish Martial Arts

What will the door gunners be able to shoot at? Does DCS feature infantry? (even if it is basic avatar like infantry?)

Yes. Their animations are extremely limited, and the series has mostly focused on mechanized forces, but leg infantry are definitely in the game. Just did some gun and rocket runs against them in fact.

And the terrain isn't really a problem. If you're wanting a Vietnam sim, this isn't it, but I did a 90 minute cross-country flight from Tblisi, through Gori and the Kashuri Gap, and into Kobuleti last night that was a blast. I was following a river valley for navigational purposes, which made for some very enjoyable low level flying. I did however manage to completely fuck up the landing -- come to think of it, I don't think I've successfully landed yet in the Huey. A new map would be nice though.

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders
2. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders Apr 30, 2013, 21:28 Scottish Martial Arts

It's probably for the best, as flying this thing is so bloody difficult that it would just be embarrassing to fly with other people. Gonna need at least a few weeks, before I'd feel comfortable being seen behind the cyclic of the Huey. (I haven't crashed or anything, but god damn does my flying look sloppy, almost like a top that is starting to lose its spin and wobble out of control)

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Ubuntu version 13.0.4 is now available Apr 26, 2013, 01:38 Scottish Martial Arts

When did they cut support to 9 months? I thought the non LTS releases were supported for 18 months.

With this release. I believe they're trying to encourage non-enthusiasts to stick with the LTS releases, but I may be completely misremembering their reasoning.

News Comments > Air Conflicts: Vietnam "Takeoff" Trailer
3. Re: Air Conflicts: Vietnam Apr 17, 2013, 13:25 Scottish Martial Arts

Much more interested in DCS UH-1 Huey, which is immenent at this point. Once the 1.2.4 patch for DCS World is ready, the Huey module will launch at the same time. The 1.2.4 changelog is out at this point and all indications suggest that its just undergoing final testing before launch. Once you catch the simulation bug, thus sort of arcade stuff just doesn't cut it anymore.  

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
32. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 14:51 Scottish Martial Arts

FO3 was an amazing game and I liked it better than NV like many other people. It was ghastly if you were a fallout 1-2 fan and expected a clone of these, because it's a completely different game.

It had poor writing, poor system design, cookie-cutter dungeon design, decent art direction but some horrifically incompetent art (look at the proportions of the character models sometime, particularly their hands), poor loot progression (mortal sin for what was essentially a dungeon crawler), poor combat, and while it provided a whole world for you to explore, exploration by and large wasn't very rewarding. And of course it's technical design bore no resemblance whatsoever to the originals, the world didn't feel much like Fallout, and the story barely meshed with the proceeding titles, but hey I'll be kind and assume to be valid the argument that fans of a franchise shouldn't expect a truly "next-gen" sequel to be anything like its predecessors. Even then, however, you're still left with the fact that taken on its own merits, FO3 wasn't well designed at all. If you only judge a game by whether or not you had fun playing it, and not by how engaging or intriguing the gameplay that creates that fun is, then I guess FO3 was alright. But then you can have a lot of fun playing checkers, even though when compared to chess it's not a particularly interesting or compelling game.

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
22. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 14:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 11:43:
Good, now get to work on Fallout 4.

Good god, no. Skyrim vastly exceeded expectations and was a superb title, but it only exceeded expectations because Fallout 3 was so ghastly. Bethesda needs to stick to what they do well rather than mangling vastly different franchises until they fit the mold that Bethesda has made for itself.

News Comments > America's Army Beta Signups
21. Re: America's Army Beta Signups Apr 9, 2013, 09:05 Scottish Martial Arts

Thats because most troops are very lousy shots in combat conditions, it takes a certain type to be able to stay cool enough to actually do anything other than spray & pray under fire.

The other piece is that American soldiers are generally trained to, when under fire, keep up a steady volume of return fire, even if they can't yet see individual enemy soldiers. The idea is that if you are in contact and under fire, you generally are going to have a difficult time maneuvering, so at that point if you aren't at least firing your weapon in the general direction of the enemy -- and thus providing some minimal degree of suppressive fire so that friendly elements out of immediate contact can maneuver to kill the enemy -- then you aren't contributing to the fight.

News Comments > Op Ed
55. Re: Op Ed Apr 7, 2013, 11:14 Scottish Martial Arts

PHJF wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 08:47:
The next time somebody comes to me with a problem of theirs I'm going to tell them to fuck off because at least they aren't in Afghanistan. Problem solved!

I didn't mean to come off that way, although rereading my posts I certainly did sound as if that was what I suggesting. My main point was that people just need to keep things in perspective.

Having worked with foster kids for a while now, the average age I work with is about 15 or so, and about 8 out of 10 of the kids I work with are completely fucked. Let me repeat that: 15 years old and your life is completely fucked. Now strictly speaking, there's generally nothing physically stopping them, such as being wheel chair bound, from turning their life around, but the sum total of the shit they have been through, and all the things that their shitbag parents neglected to teach or instill in them, is such that they don't have the habits, knowledge, or skills to make the decisions necessary to turn things around. Aristotle was absolutely right when he suggested that good habits are essential to virtuous behavior, and that those who develop bad habits at an early age will rarely if ever live virtuous lives. And by the time the kid is a teenager it's generally game over: their habits have formed, they have a natural (for their age) distrust of authority figures and desire to assert themselves as individuals, and no one ever instilled in them virtues that create a moral compass (shoplifting is bad, recreational drugs probably won't move my life forward, school is essential to having any sort of life, etc.). These kids are absolutely making bad choices, but who, in their right mind, would think these bad choices are on them, and not on the people whose only qualification to raise a child was a functioning womb and a wad of sperm? The thing is though, it's the kid who gets to bear the consequence of parental incompetence: a ruined life for the next generation.

Your life, and my life, is pretty good in comparison, huh? I'm certainly not going to get worked up if I ever find myself making less than my coworkers for some arbitrary and unfair reason. I'd try to fix it, sure, just as we should try to fix unequal pay between men and women, but we shouldn't pretend that, in the scheme of things, this is some great evil. A minor evil, to be sure, but not a great one.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Apr 7, 2013, 03:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Flatline wrote on Apr 7, 2013, 02:52:
The inequality and gender bias against women is HARDLY a "first world problem". It manifests in different ways depending on the culture. Here in the US, it manifests in a payroll prejudice, and slut shaming if you're raped (I'll go ahead and point to Stubenville to show you what I mean). In some countries, you're put to death if you're the victim of the rape because you've slut shamed your family so bad by being raped.

I've bolded the key part. Sure, pay inequality is part of a larger problem that is serious. That yuppy women make slightly less money than yuppy men, however, is not the moral equivalent of being stoned to death for being raped.

In a perfect world, society would treat men and women equally. We don't live in a perfect world. That some women chose to treat their marginally smaller income as a horrific crime of oppression that has rendered them helpless victims is not proof of great injustice, but proof of their own self-absorption and ingratitude for how good they have it. You know, the word cisgendered, antonym to transgendered, was thrown around a few times in this thread and the article that prompted it. Do you know how many transgendered women are unemployed, and thus making zero pennies on the dollar, as opposed to 85 pennies? No one knows for certain, but estimates are in the 50-60% range. If you get to know the trans community a bit, anecdotally, you'll quickly discover that the ONLY trans women who are not destitute are either sex workers or post-college transitioners who are software engineers. Everyone else flounders in poverty. Not to mention the snide remarks, stares, etc. they get for just having the temerity of going out in public, nor to mention the anguish they experience for not having the security of being secure in their gender identity. There's some privilege for an upset upper-class feminist to check: having the privilege of the world treating your gender as if it's normal and natural.

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Apr 7, 2013, 02:46 Scottish Martial Arts

Quboid wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 20:29:
It's not the biggest problem in the world, but does that mean we should ignore it? Should we ignore everything except whatever is the biggest problem?

Didn't say that. But it strikes me as a very first world problem compared to what I see on a daily basis. And if I worked with poor people from the third world, rather than foster kids from the San Francisco Bay Area? Well, the cup of rage would runneth over the next time I meet some educated, well-to-do, white or Asian woman who feels a great injustice has been done to her because she is statistically more likely to make marginally less money than her male coworkers.

Is it an injustice? Sure. Should we right injustice where ever possible? Of course. But is it comparable to being 11 years old and having a dad who sells your food stamps so he can buy drugs for himself and his girlfriend? No, absolutely not, and anyone who suggests that it is needs to wake the fuck up. There's a lot of evil in this world, and most of it is beyond anyone's ability to fix. The Greek's were right: human existence is inherently tragic. Don't settle for injustice, but also be grateful that Zeus didn't give you a destiny from the jar purely of evil, rather than the jar containing evil mixed with the good, because chances are, there are people -- not far away in the third world, but in the very city in which you live -- who, through no fault of their own, have lives much worse than yours.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 17:16 Scottish Martial Arts

That or they want to be on record as doing their part to "make the world a better place" without having to actually put much effort into it beyond, say, a drive-by piece on a blog.

Seriously. Talk is cheap. As is visiting Tijuana for a whirlwind 4-day weekend to "build houses for the poor." Anyone that actually tries "to make the world a better place" for a career, as opposed to making the occasional impassioned blog post, can tell you how intractable most social problems are. By the time you've met a 12 year old gang member, a 13 year old meth addict, and a 14 year old prostitute, or two, you begin to recognize that any change you effect will be marginal at best, and anyone who thinks they've "done their part" by writing a blog post is completely blind.

And to be perfectly blunt, given the scope and severity of what your average foster kid, for example, has been through, the fact that upper middle to upper class college educated cisgendered white women make about 15% less than their male counterparts strikes me as relatively minor problem in the scheme of things.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 15:44 Scottish Martial Arts

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 13:38:
I much prefer, rum, sodomy, and the lash.
Keep your rum and lash (not sure what that is TBH :|) but I'm all for sodomy - Vodka helps here!

*30 mins of politically incorrect comments that weren't published here*

He was paraphrasing Churchill's famous quip that the history of the Royal Navy is that of "rum, sodomy, and the lash." And a lash is simply an improvised whip, with whipping being a common disciplinary measure on board Royal Navy vessels of the Age of Sail.

As for the article in question, anyone whose stated objective is to "raise awareness" needs to be put against a wall and shot. I've gradually shifted leftward in my political convictions over the last decade or so -- although I still consider myself a moderate pragmatist -- but one thing that continues to irk me is leftwing "activists" who feel that "raising awareness" accomplishes anything more than their own self-satisfaction.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 5, 2013, 20:37 Scottish Martial Arts

bigspender wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 18:29:
guide for installing windows 8? LOL whats next guide to getting inside a car?

Yeah, that article was a major WTF. I figured something from "Overclockers Club" would be a performance tweaking guide for a fresh Win8 installation or something. But no, it's literally a three page guide of "insert installation media, follow the prompts, and set a good password".

2708 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo