Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2696 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization May 31, 2013, 00:01 Scottish Martial Arts

Anyone else find it thoroughly depressing that we now look back on KOTOR as a "deep" game? While a d20-based game, I distinctly remember my initial impression being one of surprise at how stripped-down and basic the character system was in comparison to NWN and the Infinity Engine games.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dungeons and Dragons Online: Shadowfell Conspiracy Preorders
7. Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online: Shadowfell Conspiracy Preorders May 23, 2013, 19:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Julio wrote on May 23, 2013, 17:02:
DDO was much better than Neverwinter is. Neverwinter is a cookie cutter, minimal character customization game. That being said, we're really lacking quality D&D RPGs these days.

No kidding. 4th Ed came out 5 years ago next month, and there still hasn't been a single video game, either on PC or console, that has made use of the ruleset. This is particularly egregious because for all 4e's drawbacks as a tabletop game, as compared to 3.5, it is nevertheless a ruleset which seems almost tailor-made for a CRPG.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend
18. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend May 17, 2013, 11:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2013, 11:07:
Hard Reset just feels like Sin to me, only with robots that all look the same.

and it's much more "on rails" than any of the cods I've played.

Honestly, I haven't played Hard Reset, so I wasn't commenting on its quality, so much as the argument that the design mores of modern FPSes are preferable to those of 15-20 years ago. Again, I'd a lot rather play Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Half-Life, or Shogo, then anything that's come out since 2006 or so.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend
16. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend May 17, 2013, 10:11 Scottish Martial Arts

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2013, 08:52:
I bought Hard Reset after the accolades it received here, and finally installed it earlier this week, but man, you can't go back in some genres, vanilla FPS being chief among them.

I donno, I'd take a Doom-clone over a COD-clone any day of the week, let alone a late-90s, early-00's fps over what we have today. I used to adore shooters, but for me at least, COD totally ruined the genre. Honestly, the last shooter I truly loved was probably HL2, and the last multiplayer FPS was Quake Wars: Enemy Territory.

edit: I really liked L4D1 and 2, also. Since then though? Maybe it's just a result of getting heavily into flight sims, but there really hasn't been a shooter that's made an impact on me in over 3 years.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 10:20 Scottish Martial Arts

I could only stomach the first paragraph or two of the article. I will say however, that while I can sympathize with Sagal's position -- 20-something trans people who are trying to establish themselves in careers almost always find that no one will give them a chance and hire them, and thus their immediate future is one of destitution -- the fact of the matter is that she lied to people for money. There's no way to justify that. Sometimes we're dealt really shitty hands in life -- and certainly being a trans women who doesn't have money for the medical interventions which will make your life easier qualifies -- but we kinda have to just learn to deal with it, and get through a bad hand as best we can. Lying to people for money in order to alleviate your own suffering may be understandable, but it doesn't make it any less wrong or immature.

Likewise, Sagal seems to have unrealistic expectations about sexual reassignment surgery if she considers it "life saving". For most, but not all, trans people, it's living and being accepted in your desired gender role which is quite literally life saving, and so possibly the surgery -- breast implants, facial feminization, etc. -- which facilitates that could be so called; in almost all cases, however, trans women will report that the genital surgery is kind of neutral because by that point if people are going to perceive you as female, they already do, and what's underneath your clothes has basically no effect on that perception. Trans women who have had SRS are usually glad to be able to use a public swimming pool again, and not to have to worry if things became untucked, etc. but that's a convenience thing as opposed to fundamental emotional well-being.

Whatever: troubled person does something stupid on the internet, inspiring exaggerated spiteful animosity on the one hand, and utterly retarded white knighting on the other. News at 11.

News Comments > Bethesda Game Vulnerability
11. Re: Bethesda Game Vulnerability May 12, 2013, 11:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Yep. For kiddies like yourself with an attention span shorter than your penis who need non-stop "badda-boom!" ... "badda-boom!" action, the TES games may in fact be a bit boring.
For us adults it's a slightly different story. Maybe you'll understand in a decade or so when you're in your teens.

It's quite amazing how far we've fallen if the Elder Scrolls are considered "adult" and "cerebral". I like the Elder Scrolls series, but if you're looking for complex systems design, or even good systems design, you have to look elsewhere. It's definitely a case of the sum being greater than the parts and getting wrapped up in an experience, rather than there actually being some compelling design work going on. I'd argue that the Elder Scrolls are a little boring too, but boring because the gameplay is so simple, repetitive, and easily mastered.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 May 10, 2013, 10:18 Scottish Martial Arts

bigspender wrote on May 10, 2013, 04:11:
i've always thought flight sims were boring ass games that are really hard to play - but then DCS:A-10c was on special on steam so i bought it, bought a $30 joystick - and have been playing this game for 6 months now. its awesome!
FC3 is part of the same series and its just as good!

Wait until you take the plunge and get the Warthog HOTAS, rudder pedals, and TrackIR: with proper hardware -- and even without -- DCS A-10C is simply one of the best gaming experiences currently available on the PC. Hell, this has become enough of an obsession for me that I plan to take flying lessons and become a pilot, of both fixed and rotary wing aircraft, once my student loans are paid off -- cause good god is learning to fly expensive, especially with helicopters.

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 May 10, 2013, 01:00 Scottish Martial Arts

Quick question - as this is not stand alone expansion - what do I have to buy to get full experience? DCS E-Shop page is confusing and kind of a rip-off by the looks of it

For Flaming Cliffs 3? Since Ubisoft still holds the IP rights for the Lock-On franchise, which the Flaming Cliffs series is technically a part of, and since Ubisoft are scumbags who want to squeeze every last cent out of a decade old flight sim, you must have a valid Lock-On or Flaming Cliffs 1/2 installation on your PC in order to activate Flaming Cliffs 3. So what does this mean in practical terms?

1. Order the cheapest used copy of Lock-On: Modern Air Combat you can find from Amazon or Ebay: all you need are the discs with which to install it. Install LOMAC and run a mission once.

2. Download and install the free DCS: World -- which includes the Su-25T aircraft plus a 100 mission campaign also for free -- client from the DCS website.

3. Purchase Flaming Cliffs 3 from the e-shop, and download the installer.

4. Install FC3 and load up a mission. You'll be asked for the serial code that you were given when you bought the module, and once you click submit you're done.

Admittedly this is a lot of steps, and kind of a pain in the ass, particularly the bit about tracking down a copy of LOMAC so as to satisfy the Ubisoft attorneys. If you're interested in one of the single aircraft modules (A-10C, Ka-50, P-51D, or UH-1H) you just install DCS World, buy the module you want (there's a module manager inside the DCS World client as of the latest patch, making this process even easier), download the module, install, and activate with the serial key.

If you're new to DCS, I'd actually recommend starting with the A-10C. It has an excellent training component that is perfect for flight sim newbs, is a straightforward and easy jet to fly, and is all around a cool plane to fly and fight in. The avionics are substantially more complex than what's in FC3, but the excellent in-game training, detailed manual, and clickable cockpit (no memorizing hotkeys, just flip the switch) make it a surprisingly gentle learning curve for what is arguably the most complex flight sim ever made, although Falcon 4.0 BMS Mod probably has a better claim to that title.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 May 9, 2013, 21:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Awesome trailer, as per usual for GlowingAmraam. Interestingly, this is less of a Flaming Cliffs 3 trailer and more of a DCS circa May 2013 trailer: in addition to the FC3 aircraft, the A-10C, KA-50, some tank from Combined Arms, and the recently released Huey all make an appearance.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization May 9, 2013, 12:49 Scottish Martial Arts

Aside from the initial lessons in the driving school car, I learned to drive in a manual transmission car: an '86 Volkswagen Quantum Synchro, essentially a VW stationwagon body built around an Audi engine. Best car I've ever driven, bar none. Sadly, as parts got rarer and rarer, it simply became too expensive to maintain: in the end, it needed a new $4000 catalytic converter to pass a smog check, despite only having a blue book value of under $500.

At any rate, perhaps out of nostalgia for my first car, I still prefer to drive stick, and when I'm in a position to buy my first new car, it's gonna be a manual.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only
14. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only May 9, 2013, 01:47 Scottish Martial Arts

A game with MP and SP is often half-assed at both.

While such a sentiment makes sense in theory -- resources are split between two divergent designs and thus neither is as good as it could have been if all the available resources had been devoted to one design -- I'm not sure it has worked out that way often enough in practice for it to be a reasonable induction. Doom, Jedi Knight II, Soldier of Fortune II, Ghost Recon, Return to Castle Wolfenstein: all, for their time, big budget games that had Single Player and Multiplayer components that were equally excellent. More recently you have Arma 2, Starcraft 2, and - if for someone reason you like console cover shooters this is agreed to be the pinnacle of the genre in both SP and MP -- Call of Duty Modern Ghost Ops at War XIX. I could probably list a bunch more recent games that were equally, or close to equally, good in single and multiplayer if I actually could stomach your average console title, but I can't, so most of my (all too limited) game time these days is spent with Digital Combat Simulator, which also happens to have outstanding single and multiplayer modes.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only
10. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only May 9, 2013, 00:23 Scottish Martial Arts

How long have we been saying we want SP and MP as separate entities?

I'm not so sure about that. Remember Unreal 2? How it had this awesome multiplayer that was cut at the last minute because Atari wanted "Unreal 2 to be SP and Unreal Tournament to be multiplayer"? And how Unreal 2 while pretty alright as a single player game didn't have enough content or spark to sustain an audience? And then, when sales failed to meet expecations, they patched back in the XMP multiplayer mode, and it remains one of the best multiplayer shooters ever? But by that time, Unreal 2 had failed at retail, and not enough people had a copy of Unreal 2 to sustain a community for the new multiplayer?

I'd be willing to bet that Unreal 2 would've been a much more successful game, both successful financially, and successful for those who tried to be a part of a new multiplayer community for a dying game, had they actually shipped a complete SP/MP product.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
5. Re: Diablo III Patched May 8, 2013, 00:03 Scottish Martial Arts

Beelzebud wrote on May 7, 2013, 22:54:
I just find it so frustrating, because i've always loved Diablo games, and the actual game play on this one is not bad at all.

They just completely lost the thread when they decided to tune everything around the damned auction houses.

That was my take as well. The game itself, that is killing challenging monsters with fun abilities, was quite good, but the itemization and economy were so hosed as to remove any long term viability to the game. I took my Demon Hunter part way through Inferno, and, although I had a great time doing it, I have no particular desire to pick it up again.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2013, 20:56 Scottish Martial Arts

ViRGE wrote on May 7, 2013, 19:24:
I probably should have been clearer. I was referring to the gameplay, not the lore.

Uh, has there ever been a Battletech CCG? There was Mechwarrior: Dark Ages, but that was more like Warhammer 40k -- buy the specific mini so it can be part of your army! -- as opposed to a CCG. Again, Mechwarrior Tactics is a video game version of (Classic) Battletech, a hex-based board game that optionally featured miniatures, with a monetized mech engineering (Want more heatsinks? BUY THEM!)component.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed May 6, 2013, 12:36 Scottish Martial Arts

So the fact that he brings up MechWarrior Tactics - itself based on a CCG - is fitting.

I thought MechWarrior Tactics was based on (Classic) Battletech, a miniature and hex based board game? You could spend money building up a collection of hand painted minis, but you could just as easily use basic counters to represent your units.

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders
9. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders May 1, 2013, 09:32 Scottish Martial Arts

What will the door gunners be able to shoot at? Does DCS feature infantry? (even if it is basic avatar like infantry?)

Yes. Their animations are extremely limited, and the series has mostly focused on mechanized forces, but leg infantry are definitely in the game. Just did some gun and rocket runs against them in fact.

And the terrain isn't really a problem. If you're wanting a Vietnam sim, this isn't it, but I did a 90 minute cross-country flight from Tblisi, through Gori and the Kashuri Gap, and into Kobuleti last night that was a blast. I was following a river valley for navigational purposes, which made for some very enjoyable low level flying. I did however manage to completely fuck up the landing -- come to think of it, I don't think I've successfully landed yet in the Huey. A new map would be nice though.

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders
2. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Beta Access with Preorders Apr 30, 2013, 21:28 Scottish Martial Arts

It's probably for the best, as flying this thing is so bloody difficult that it would just be embarrassing to fly with other people. Gonna need at least a few weeks, before I'd feel comfortable being seen behind the cyclic of the Huey. (I haven't crashed or anything, but god damn does my flying look sloppy, almost like a top that is starting to lose its spin and wobble out of control)

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Ubuntu version 13.0.4 is now available Apr 26, 2013, 01:38 Scottish Martial Arts

When did they cut support to 9 months? I thought the non LTS releases were supported for 18 months.

With this release. I believe they're trying to encourage non-enthusiasts to stick with the LTS releases, but I may be completely misremembering their reasoning.

News Comments > Air Conflicts: Vietnam "Takeoff" Trailer
3. Re: Air Conflicts: Vietnam Apr 17, 2013, 13:25 Scottish Martial Arts

Much more interested in DCS UH-1 Huey, which is immenent at this point. Once the 1.2.4 patch for DCS World is ready, the Huey module will launch at the same time. The 1.2.4 changelog is out at this point and all indications suggest that its just undergoing final testing before launch. Once you catch the simulation bug, thus sort of arcade stuff just doesn't cut it anymore.  

News Comments > Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to "Next Adventure"
32. Re: Skyrim Development Ends; Bethesda on to Apr 15, 2013, 14:51 Scottish Martial Arts

FO3 was an amazing game and I liked it better than NV like many other people. It was ghastly if you were a fallout 1-2 fan and expected a clone of these, because it's a completely different game.

It had poor writing, poor system design, cookie-cutter dungeon design, decent art direction but some horrifically incompetent art (look at the proportions of the character models sometime, particularly their hands), poor loot progression (mortal sin for what was essentially a dungeon crawler), poor combat, and while it provided a whole world for you to explore, exploration by and large wasn't very rewarding. And of course it's technical design bore no resemblance whatsoever to the originals, the world didn't feel much like Fallout, and the story barely meshed with the proceeding titles, but hey I'll be kind and assume to be valid the argument that fans of a franchise shouldn't expect a truly "next-gen" sequel to be anything like its predecessors. Even then, however, you're still left with the fact that taken on its own merits, FO3 wasn't well designed at all. If you only judge a game by whether or not you had fun playing it, and not by how engaging or intriguing the gameplay that creates that fun is, then I guess FO3 was alright. But then you can have a lot of fun playing checkers, even though when compared to chess it's not a particularly interesting or compelling game.

2696 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo