Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2707 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 16:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Atomic wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 15:36:
Too much talk here about the comic. This isn't about the comic, which in context was a pretty good scathing commentary on the lack of morality in video games. This is about their childish and continued insipid response to being criticized.

Exactly. That someone was horribly offended by the original comic is kinda retarded. That a lot of people have been offended by PA's insipid, adolescent, self-righteous response to criticism isn't.

All they had to say was "A few people were offended by our Dickwolves comic, and for that we are sincerely sorry. To be clear, we do not take rape lightly. But on the other hand, this is a comic, comedy has often offended, intentionally or not, as far back as Aristophanes, and that means occasionally we're going to say something that is upsetting to some. Our intent is to amuse and inform, not hurt, but in the course of the former, the latter is occasionally going to happen. And again, for that we are sorry."

Had they done that, they would have taken the moral high ground and there would have been no controversy. Instead, they started babbling about free speech and censorship, when nothing of the sort was being infringed, resorted to provocative and insulting behavior, and then merchandized the whole controversy. That Krahulik then turns around a few years later to say that he regrets eventually putting the middle finger away, by ending the sale of Dickwolf merchandise, suggests that he is a petty, petty man.

I honestly don't care about the dickwolves comic, and think people often seek out ways to be offended, but Krahulik has revealed himself to be a pretty ugly, childish, and small person over the course of this controversy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter
7. Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter Sep 6, 2013, 01:05 Scottish Martial Arts

You are aware that flight simulations have substantially more things to model than an FPS, correct? There is a finite budget of computing resources to work with, and when you have a full fluid dynamics based flight model consuming CPU cycles, alongside an electrical systems model, fuel flow and hydraulics model, damage model, radio physics model, numerous avionics systems, ballistic models, plus a well over a hundred AI entities per mission, also consuming CPU cycles -- when you have all of that going on under the hood, you have to expect that the game isn't going to look like Crysis. But even then, DCS has some moments where the visuals are pretty stunning.  

News Comments > DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta
8. Re: DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta Sep 5, 2013, 03:53 Scottish Martial Arts

Just had my first flight in the Mi-8. It is a much more stable aircraft to fly than the Huey, however I found it very difficult to control the aircraft below the translational lift threshold. Still I had a very enjoyable 25 minute formation flight with the included free flight quick start mission. Totally vortexed on landing approach though.

For those considering buying this, I think it's more appropriate to call this an alpha release rather than a beta release. A lot of features remain unimplemented or partially complete, for example the damage model. What's there looks very very good, but this is a very early release. I suspect Belsimtek probably needed an injection of revenue to meet expenses. Still, it looks like this will be a pretty nice sim, and unlike, say, Cliffs of Dover, this isn't broken or anything -- it works fine -- it's just not done yet.

News Comments > DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta
7. Re: DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta Sep 4, 2013, 23:15 Scottish Martial Arts

Meh, if you've got the attention span, it gets rewarded in spades. I'll never forget that moment when I first completed a Black Shark Georgian Oil War mission intact, not because I had gotten lucky, but because I had mastered the aircraft systems and had mastered the tactical employment of an attack helicopter. It took over a year of consistent practice and study before I developed the technical and tactical skills to be successful in that aircraft, but now that I can there are fewer gaming experiences more satisfying than doing a mission analysis, a terrain analysis, developing a flight plan and scheme of maneuver, and then executing the mission successfully.

It's really an entirely different species of game.

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access
20. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 4, 2013, 03:46 Scottish Martial Arts

I have a good set of pedals and an excellent stick as well (Warthog HOTAS). Ideally, for a chopper sim, you want a stick with a lot of throw, which the Warthog does not have, but it works very well nevertheless. It's not the landing the Huey is impossible; it's just that it takes concentration and practice to stick your landings. At initial release it took MAJOR practice to reach that point, but it is much easier now, and apparently much more in accordance with what flying an actual Huey is like. Likewise, this is not my first chopper sim: I have a good 300 hours in DCS Black Shark, which also was not an easy chopper to fly.

I must admit that I find it odd that you can land in choppers but not fixed-wing aircraft. The same principles apply; they are just implemented differently. For a standard visual approach, you enter a standard traffic pattern at 1500' AGL, execute turn onto base and turn onto downwind legs while losing airspeed to the point where it's safe to operate flaps, which of course varies by aircraft. On downwind you can safely lose some altitude, and drop flaps to 10-15 degrees, again depending on aircraft and what flaps settings you have available. As you turn onto crosswind, drop full flaps and your undercarriage, while continuing to lose altitude. As you turn onto final, you should be roughly 500' AGL and roughly 1 minute from the runway threshold. Adjust pitch to get landing angle of attack -- most modern jets have AoA indexers which tell you exactly what you need -- trim, then adjust throttle for -400ft/min or so. At this point landing is basically hands off, but you want to pick a spot past the runway threshold -- the runway number generally works well -- and keep it fixed in your canopy, adjusting throttle to ensure it stays fixed. As you pass over the runway threshold and approach 40-50' AGL, execute a flare, i.e. cut throttle and raise pitch so that you have -100ft/min vertical velocity. Touch down, and apply wheel brakes until the nose is down. Slow to taxi speed, and follow Ground directions to the ramp.

18. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 3, 2013, 12:18 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 04:25:
I have to kinda agree with Cutter. If you're gonna plunk down for a Huey sim, you kinda want to re-enact your favorite 'Nam missions, both true AND fictional. Not having a map of 'Nam you can tool around in absolutely detracts from the appeal of this sim, regardless of how well DCS is simulating it. I want to be picking up wounded soldiers from a hot LZ, dropping supplies to the besieged Khe Sanh base, and doing strafing runs to soften up the beachhead before landing to hit the waves and call in a napalm strike.

All of that is in there, just in the Caucasus region, rather than Southeast Asia.

17. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 3, 2013, 12:16 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 01:00:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 17:40:
Because your average battlefield tard would totally be willing to invest 20 hours of concentrated practice time just to avoid entering a vortex ring state every time they transition out of translational lift during landing approach. And you're average battlefield tart totally know what vortex ring state, dissymmetry of lift, retreating blade stall, and translational lift are, right? Right?

You are saying that as if flying helicopters is any kind of super difficult challenge in DCS:Huey. Although it's nice to see a helicopter sim having "nearly" correct physics now... but to say that you need 20 hours of practice to land an Huey in DCS is absurd. Assuming you understand what to do and what not to do, landing is simple and never goes wrong.

And while it's a decent heli sim, it is still lacking massively in terms of physics beyond the engineering idea of the machine itself. A good heli sim simulates environment effects and interacts with them. When was the last time you had your helicopter engines in a sim choke on a dust-storm? Or have frozen parts on your helicopter that affect sensors? Or when was the last time you tried to land on a burning oil platform with the problems that FIRE and the air drafts cause to an helicopter in all it's facets?

Did you play with the initial flight model that shipped or did you wait until after the first few patches before taking the plunge? They tweaked the weight of the stabilization bar after a couple of patches which dramatically stablized the aircraft in the pick-up and hover, and likewise reduced the tendency to enter vortex ring state. At launch, a solid 10-15 hours of practice was absolutely necessary to not enter vortex ring state on transition out of translational lift. Either that or not enter vortex ring but completely blow the landing approach and borderline lose control of the aircraft, as you overcorrect with collective trying to avoid vortex ring, but undercorrect with antitorque and go pitching and yawing away as your vertical velocity sky rockets into +15m/sec.

I had a friend who was not into flight simulators try flying the huey for the better part of an hour: he literally could not control the aircraft. The pick-up, the hover, forward flight; it didn't matter the flight regime because as soon as I would pause get him behind the controls and TrackIR recentered, he would unpause and within seconds would be mastering the art of inverted helicopter flight (hint, helicopters don't fly upside down). For someone like him, i.e. brand new to sims, then 20 hours would be the bare minimum.

Either you are a sim god, or have extensive real life rotary wing experience, because last May, the official forums were filled with threads like "My flight log says 32 hours, and I STILL can't reliably land". It simply was very, very tough to negotiate the transition between translational lift and low-speed flight, as the attendant loss in lift almost ALWAYS led to vortex ring unless you were spot on with the collective. And of course more collective means more torque, which means your feet had to be spot on as well or you would yaw like a mother fucker. I suppose it wasn't hard not to vortex -- just give way too much collective and completely blow your landing approach -- but it was VERY hard to avoid vortex while maintaining your glide path.

Even with the tweaked flight model, this shit isn't easy, not by a long stretch, which leads me to wonder if you don't have the game flight model enabled.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2013, 12:26.

5. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 2, 2013, 17:40 Scottish Martial Arts

Because your average battlefield tard would totally be willing to invest 20 hours of concentrated practice time just to avoid entering a vortex ring state every time they transition out of translational lift during landing approach. And you're average battlefield tart totally know what vortex ring state, dissymmetry of lift, retreating blade stall, and translational lift are, right? Right?

Battlefield and DCS: Huey are totally different games for totally different audiences. To compare sales numbers to make a point is pretty retarded.

2. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 2, 2013, 17:23 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:42:
Much as everyone loves the Huey it just isn't all that exciting in non-combat environment, particularly a non Nam environment to be specific.

Speak for yourself. This is probably the best rotary-wing simulator ever made.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - America's Army: Proving Grounds
12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - America's Army: Proving Grounds Aug 30, 2013, 01:50 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 22:02:
Long way from these old Army commercials.

Or this one. Or this.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
18. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 09:53 Scottish Martial Arts

Drop the RMAH and redesign the itemization and loot tables. Result: great game. I actually thought the slaying of monsters in D3 was much more fun than in past Diablos, which is important because that's how you spend the majority of the game. The trouble was that the loot was such garbage that it felt like there was no reward for slaying said monsters.  

News Comments > Thief in February
5. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 10:38 Scottish Martial Arts

One other thing that irks me about this title it looks to be set in a sort of steampunk setting, but wasnt the setting of the early games fantasy medieaval?

It was fantasy + industry. Thief: The Dark Project had a more medieval feel to it, but The City was still clearly in the early stages of an industrial revolution. Thief II however started to feel more Victorian. Still though, much of the sort of stuff we associate with steam punk you didn't really see.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders
3. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders Jul 29, 2013, 10:01 Scottish Martial Arts

InBlack wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 09:39:
Considering how utterly horrible Cliffs of Dover turned out (and still is) I would recommend that anyone who even remotely likes aeroplane simulations to stay away from this until they release the game.

With that said, simming is probably the most fun Im having with my PC at the moment. DCS: World is where its at and its modules obviously.

The press release is a bit misleading because the development team behind Cliffs of Dover was dissolved about 8-10 months ago, cancelling their '41 Barbarossa sequel to CloD in the process. 1C elected to contract 777 Studios, the developers of Rise of Flight, to develop a Stalingrad IL-2 game, using 777's engine tech. This is about as clean a break as possible from CloD.

And Clod, once patched, wasn't THAT terrible. The launch was arguably the worst I have ever seen -- the game simply did not work in April '11 -- and the mission content remains quite weak, but the simulation itself, once patched, ended up being pretty solid. That reminds me: I need to try it out again since I got my Warthog HOTAS at the end of last year.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 18, 2013, 09:16 Scottish Martial Arts

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 02:16:
The Romans, they go to the houses?

I had no clue what they were talking about the first time I saw that scene, but it is hysterical if you've studied even a bit of Latin.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 17, 2013, 23:47 Scottish Martial Arts

I wasn't trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I agree with you entirely. I just find the split infinitive controversy to be an interesting one, and as an aside I wanted to express my take on it: just because something is impossible to express in Latin, doesn't mean it's ungrammatical to express it that way in English. But again, that's just an aside, and beside the main point, on which we completely agree.  

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 17, 2013, 23:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Split infinitives aren't necessarily a no-no, as it applies a Latin paradigm to English grammar: "Well, the Romans couldn't say such a thing in such a way-- ire fortiter is to go boldly, not to boldly go -- so even though we can, we must never say it that way." That said, what taught me to write well did not involve technology, and in fact was the standard tool of writing instruction for 2000 years until we decided we could do better by fixing what wasn't broken. I learned to write by learning the Latin language and reading its literature. Those kids whom we do still force to learn Latin, almost to a one, develop superlative language skills. Of course, that raises the question of whether it's that Latin makes kids good with language, or it's that kids good with language gravitate to Latin, but the correlation is unmistakeable.  

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Jul 13, 2013, 10:22 Scottish Martial Arts

Turns out I was remembering correctly. I just had the date wrong: mid-November 2003 not mid-October.

I thought writing this all down might help. My Dad and I were driving home this evening from Congresswoman Eshoo's office (I delivered my service academy nomination application) and witnessed a severe car accident that left two people dead and another in the hospital. We were about to pull off the freeway when we saw a car swerve out of control and flip over three times. We immediately parked the car and ran forward. The car was upside down and the driver was hanging unconscious in her seat belt and because of the way the car had landed was trapped. Both of the passenger side passengers were out of the car and relatively unhurt and there was a woman conscious but with a head injury in the backseat. My Dad's Army Special Forces Medic training kicked in (one reason why the Army is a good thing vFunct), gave me his cell phone to call 911 and immediately got the conscious woman out, sitting at the side of the road and had her apply pressure to her head. My Dad then went to work on getting the unconscious woman out of the car. It was at this point that I noticed there was a fifth passenger, a woman who turned out to be 16, who had been thrown from the vehicle and now lay on her side about ten meters from the overturned vehicle. I called my Dad who, unable to open an airway because of the driver's position and unable to get the driver out of the vehicle, had decided to leave the driver for the firefighters and paramedics. He came to the young woman on her side, opened an airway, and proceeded to check her for injury. I had repeated the injuries he listed off into the phone and then concluded the call. He suggested that I look after the two unhurt male passengers. One of them had his wits about him and I got him sitting at the side of the road but the other one was losing it. It was about this time the firefighters arrived. The man who was falling apart became dead set on finding his wallet and cell, I was unable to deter him so I decided it would be best to help him find it and then get him sitting down. As we walked past the vehicle the firefighters were working on getting the driver out. After finding the mans wallet and cellphone I walked him back to where his friend was and I noticed that the firefighters had the driver out and were working on her. I went over to see if I could help with the young woman but paramedics had arrived and were taking over for my Dad. The next time I looked at the driver I noticed that she had died and been covered. The paramedics worked on the young woman for about five minutes longer and had just gotten her onto one of the wooden boards when she died. A State Trooper came by to talk to me and my Dad about what we had seen and what we had done to help. We then left.

Sorry if this was kind of rambling but I'm still rather shaken. I had seen dead bodies before but I hadn't watched a person die while doing my best to help them. I just wanted to type this out to calm down.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Jul 13, 2013, 10:10 Scottish Martial Arts

Ladron3dfx wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 06:46:
On the radio I heard, one of the two deceased female victims of the plane crash was actually covered in foam retardant on the tarmac, thus not visible and accidentally run over by one of the emergency rescue vehicles.

I can see that happening. The only mass casualty situation I've experienced featured one of the victims being thrown out the back window of an SUV (she wasn't wearing a seatbelt) as it bounced and rolled across the freeway. Given that it was dark, and given how far she was thrown from where the SUV landed, a good 50m beyond it, I think it was probably 5 or minutes or so before anyone realized there was another victim -- my perception of time was of course dilated at that point from all the shock and adrenaline so maybe it wasn't that long, maybe it was longer. Even if we had found her right away though, she was completely fucked: her ribcage was so badly damaged that it could no longer support the function of her lungs and she was asphyxiating, a condition known as a flailed chest, something which is almost always fatal. I kinda remember writing something about that experience on this board too, it would've been mid October 2003, when I was a senior in high school. I suppose I'll have to look through my post history.

edit: Nope, I guess I didn't write about that car accident immediately after it happened. I could have sworn I did though; I suppose it was on another forum or something. I'm kinda bummed about that as it was a pretty formative experience for me, and was a major factor in my recent decision to go back to school for a pre-med postbacc this time next yet, and then go on to medical school to become a trauma surgeon.

It is rather interesting to have used a forum for so long that you can go back and see what you were like and what you were thinking as a teenager though.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2013, 10:19.

News Comments > Microsoft Reorganizes
18. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 12:22 Scottish Martial Arts

InBlack wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 09:58:
So....apart from the XBone, what else falls under Devices?? Is Microsoft going to be making mice again?

I for one want them to start making flight sticks again, there is a serious lack of competition with regards to Thrustmaster and Saitek...

The Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS is pretty much the perfect stick for fixed wing aviation. That thing is simply unbeatable in its build quality, precision, functionality, and physical attractiveness. It's less ideal for rotary-wing aviation to the short throw of the stick, and the fact that a dual throttle is nothing like a collective, but for the truly hardcore chopper heads there are speciality manufacturers out there who produce incredible cyclic, collective, anti-torque pedal, seat combinations. Expect to drop about a $1200 on them though.

Still having more competition in the market is never a bad thing.

News Comments > Rambo Trailer
10. Re: Rambo Trailer Jul 10, 2013, 21:52 Scottish Martial Arts

TangledThorns wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 20:32:
This looks like a joke. On another note, I'd luv to see another Rambo film!

Same here. The last one was pretty awesome: there was something almost lyrical about the extremely graphic violence, and while still a dumb action movie, it actually had some thematic richness that I totally wasn't expecting, i.e. power vs morality, and the notion that the rightness of a cause does not guarantee its success, yet a right cause can somehow be diminished when forced to turn to violence. Likewise, while Stallone's face is showing his age, he remains a remarkably beefy and intimidating looking dude for his age, and thus can still carry an action movie.

Moar Rambo plz

2707 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo