Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2682 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 3 Turns 5
28. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 03:39 Scottish Martial Arts

Sepharo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 03:26:
I guess I was being a smartass because it's still gravity even though you made it sound like it wasn't.

Well perhaps I should clarify by stating that a bomb in freefall is experiencing acceleration dude to EARTH's gravity in atmosphere. A meteor meanwhile got it's start at acceleration from a gravitational slingshot somewhere out there in the universe, but after millenia of accelerating through vacuum, it's going to be going a LOT faster than that bomb.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 03:13 Scottish Martial Arts

Sepharo wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 03:05:
Do meteors have some sort of propulsion system I'm not aware of?

Yes. We are talking about the debris of planets and moons here, which themselves are orbiting a star or traveling through space at VERY fast speeds. It's not like a meteor just falls from the sky. Rather, a meteor will typically be traveling at tens of kilometers per second when it enters the atmosphere. Yes, it will have slowed down substantially by the time it hits the earth, but compared to an object starting with zero vertical velocity that falls to earth, i.e. a bomb, a meteor is a formula one race car, compared to the bomb's one-speed bicycle.

edit: a Google search says that meteors are typically going between 25,000 - 160,000 mph. Meanwhile, terminal velocity varies by object and atmospheric conditions, but realistically you're only looking at a several hundred miles per hour at most. Perhaps I should amend my analogy to supersonic jet versus one-speed bicycle.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2013, 03:21.

24. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 02:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 00:23:
Must have played a different game then I did.

In Fallout I spent more time out of towns then in them. Gecko hunting, rad scorpion cave, slaver missions, hunting to rat god, etc... And many parts of the town did act like a dungeon. Again the rat god caves were started in a town, doing the mobster tactics and then taking them down, the final church/area of the first Fallout. A big reason for this was for game size issues, they just couldn't make that many different locations and keep the game in a semi-manageable size. This is also why the whole overworld and not one giant area.

P.S. In Fallout 3, the first town is built into the massive crater of an unexploded bomb. The CRATER of an UNEXPLODED bomb. Think about that one for a moment. Fallout 3 writing kills brain cells. Fact.

It's called an impact crater. You know, like a meteor crater, except this one isn't nearly as large. It happens when something with mass and force hits an object like sand. Basic physics... any of this ring any bells?

More likely you haven't played Fallout 2 recently. Since you're citing areas from it, let's run through Fallout 2's locations shall we?

1. Arroyo -- village plus temple of trials and hunting grounds so 50/50 split
2. Klamath -- mix of urban area along with the tunnels beneath trapper town and the Toxic Caves, so about 50/50
3. The Den -- pure urban area
4. Klamath -- rural town with a farm field infested with rats, 90 town/ 10 "dungeon"
5. Vault City -- Pure urban area, and quite large too
6. Gecko -- pure urban area
7. Broken Hills -- town with a sewer and a mine, 75/25, notable for being the most unfinished area in the game
8. New Reno + Golgotha + The Stables -- huge, content rich urban area plus some ancillary locations that were definitely not dungeons
9. Sierra Army Depot -- dungeon, and fairly large and interesting one at that
10. Redding -- very cool town, with arguably the worst dungeon in the Fallout series: the Wanamingo Mine. 66/33 urban dungeon split
11. The Raiders -- small and very deadly dungeon
12. NCR -- very large urban area
13. Vault 15 -- Squatter camp plus raider hideout. 25/75 town/dungeon.
14. Vault 13 -- abandoned "town"
15. Abandoned Military Base -- Dungeon
16. San Francisco -- large urban area, plus a small dungeon area in the Tanker 80/20.
17. Navarro -- Enclave base. Could be one huge combat encounter, or it can be a rather interesting exercise in bluffing and disguise.
18. The Enclave Platform -- same as above.

The overwhelming majority of your gameplay hours are spent in towns and urban areas talking to NPCs, solving quests, and having gun battles when negotiations breakdown; maybe only 20-25% of your game time is going to be in what anyone would call a dungeon.

As for an impact crater, you're seriously going to tell me that the force of gravity on an object the size of a refrigerator would make a football field sized impact crater that is a half dozen stories deep? Seriously? Unexploded ordinance tends to bury itself deep in the ground, so the half-dozen stories down part isn't implausible, but unless the thing goes off, there isn't going to be a crater. A meteor leaves an impact crater, sure, but then it's going many, many times faster than an object being affected by gravity, now isn't it?

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2013, 03:04.

20. Re: Fallout 3 Turns 5 Oct 29, 2013, 00:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 23:26:
Comparing a 5 year old game with a game that's not even out yet? So powerful!

ROFL. So a console open-world shooter, by virtue of its age, is now old school, while a revival of an RPG classic that *GASP!* actually has strong mechanical continuity with its predecessor is the new shit? Like, I said: ROFL.

Fallout 3 was a pretty good game taken on its own merits -- although the writing was so bad as to make David Gaider look like Homer in comparison -- but it basically had nothing in common in terms of mechanics and world design with its predecessors.

Consider this: where do you spend the majority of your gameplay hours in Fallout 1 and 2? Towns. You explore towns, and interact with NPCs, with negotiations frequently breaking out into brutal violence, as if there is a thin veneer of civilization which is ready to tear apart at a moment's notice, with the PC only occasionally venturing into an abandoned vault, or mutant infested cave. What about Fallout 3? Well there were like 4 full towns in the entire game and most of the game was spent dungeon crawling (subways anyone?). Bethesda quite literally made an Elder Scrolls game set after the apocalypse, which is great if you want Oblivion with Laser Guns and Mutants, but less great if what you wanted was Fallout 3.

I could go on about the lack of mechanical continuity -- Fallout was very much designed like a tabletop game, for example encouraging players to know the formulas that connected SPECIAL attributes with derived attributes and skills, among other things -- or the dramatically different aesthetic of the Fallout 3 world -- I've been convinced for a while that Beth had written a script for some other game that was canceled, and that they then reused it for Fallout 3, quickly renaming a few characters and factions to make it sound more like Fallout -- but the point is that Fallout 3 wasn't really a Fallout game in much of anything but name. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad game, and in fact if the script hadn't been so cringe-inducing awful, I probably would have quite liked it, but nevertheless, I think a lot of Fallout fans remain bitter to this day over how the whole thing turned out.

P.S. In Fallout 3, the first town is built into the massive crater of an unexploded bomb. The CRATER of an UNEXPLODED bomb. Think about that one for a moment. Fallout 3 writing kills brain cells. Fact.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 25, 2013, 00:40 Scottish Martial Arts

mag wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 22:25:
I found BF3 kind of unplayable, though. I'm not colorblind, but I found it essentially impossible to distinguish characters from background. Depth of field, motion blur, the blue/green/yellow filter they apply to everything. Whatever it was, I couldn't see shit.

I never played BF3 but this was my EXACT complain with Bad Company 2. There was simply too much visual noise to be able to distinguish player from background. This might be realistic but it's not particularly fun.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2013, 18:53 Scottish Martial Arts

The vigors were guns by other names -- the exact opposite of the design approach that animated PSI powers in SS2. The gear was largely irrelevant, and since it was placed randomly it became more of "Pick a crappy bonus" thing than something that allowed you to build a character. The companion was just down right creepy; the extent to which they were trying to tug at the heartstrings of virgin nerds was both blatant and disturbing, particularly when it's revealed what the PC's relationship is to the companion. The setting was clever, but ultimately underutilized. The writing was largely directionless, lacked dramatic impetus and committed the greatest sin possible: telling a story that was boring. Including some throw away political allegory -- even if it's an allegorical analysis I am inclined to agree with -- doesn't make a tepid story good. The skylines were a gimic that did little to enliven gameplay, as were the tears.

It was a decent enough game, and I guess it at least tried to be different in aesthetic from Call of Duty, but the gameplay nevertheless consisted of progressing through linear levels with two weapons at a time and regenerating health against about a half-dozen enemy types. In other words, the gameplay was pretty typical of a modern console shooter.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Oct 19, 2013, 16:21 Scottish Martial Arts

nin wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 13:37:
Dagnamit wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 13:15:
I didn't like Bioshock 1, and picked Infinite a couple weeks ago when the price was right. I was wrong to wait. It's outstanding. Pick it up. You'll get at least 12 hours of quality gameplay. The production is of such outstanding quality that its hard to fathom. On a beefy rig with settings maxed, I consider it the current pinnacle of art/graphics. A really great experience.

I was the opposite, as I still favored the original over Inf. But yeah, looking at Inf, it's a clear example of what a AAA game should look like. Extremely beautiful...

I remember I sent this to Blue, and he ran it, but I don't remember who original did it (sorry, original author!). But you might like this, as wallpaper... http://imgur.com/GwsecT6

I feel the same. Bioshock 1 was a clear step down from the System Shock games, but was nevertheless quite good. Bioshock Infinite was indistinguishable from any modern linear console shooter aside from its pretentious writing. It was a decent enough game, but pretty much nothing remains from its System Shock/Ultima Underworld heritage.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Early Access Next Month
4. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Early Access Next Month Oct 18, 2013, 11:18 Scottish Martial Arts

You are aware that this is a clean break from CloD -- last I checked some art and models are being carried over but that's it -- and that it's being developed by the Rise of Flight guys, right? The game may not be good, who knows, but at this point I don't see the reason for such pessimism. I too am more interested in DCS WWII, but I know of no reason to avoid this one. And even if CloD were relevant to this discussion, CloD wasn't THAT bad once it got patched up.  

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
5. Re: Evening Screenshots Oct 16, 2013, 00:59 Scottish Martial Arts

nin wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 22:51:
Both excited and dreading this...I miss Minsc, yet I have no idea when I might actually get around to playing it.

BG2 was the game that basically taught me ADD 2.5. Absolutely loved the story, and was always wondering what was next. Easily my favorite thing Bioware has done, though I'll admit the original Dragon Age was a good follow up.

2nd Edition AD&D, you mean. There was no mid-edition revision of the rules, just a reprint of the core rulebooks in '96 with new art/typeface and incorporated errata. You're probably confusing it with Edition 3.5 which came out in 2003, which reworked some of the more broken components of 3rd Edition, which came out in 2000.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts System Requirements
21. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts System Requirements Oct 8, 2013, 00:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 23:44:
Guess this one requires a 64 bit OS too? Nice to see them finally using the 64 bit processors we've had for a decade now.

From the looks of it, they just need the additional memory address space.

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Oct 5, 2013, 11:50 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 02:28:
Just the new Jack Ryan trailer at IMDB. Yet, another property raped and destroyed. And surprise surprise Chris Pine is Ryan. He must hate established properties and is going out of his way to destroy them.

The participation of Kenneth Branaugh is notable: he definitely has the Russian smile going on (smiling mouth but cold eyes). I also like the kind of roles Kevin Costner has been getting as he ages, and I think this is a good fit for him, but that's about all I could say for the trailer. It is odd that they're choosing to make Ryan a secret agent when perhaps the most unique part of the Jack Ryan novels was that he was "just" an analyst. Sure, the outlandish plots frequently required some brief act of daring, but really these were thrillers staring a guy sitting at a desk trying to piece together a puzzle.

News Comments > Op Ed
78. Re: Op Ed Sep 7, 2013, 02:02 Scottish Martial Arts

Oh brother, here we go. Have you ever seen the episode of Friends where Joey tells Pheobe that nobody ever does anything that is not selfish? That's your argument. If you've ever donated to charity, it was for selfish reasons. Because it made you feel good to help someone out, or it made you look good, or whatever. I could give two flying fucks WHY they started Child's Play. What I do care about is that it helps kids in fucked up situations.

Sure but to publicly state that your purpose in being kind is to make yourself look good is kinda taking it to a new low.

News Comments > Op Ed
72. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 23:11 Scottish Martial Arts

HAHAHAHAHA, acting like adults, hahahahahaha. Good one. Have you met many adults lately? I own a retail store. My 3 year old acts more civilized than 75% of my customers. I'm sure Batman can tell you just how adults act as well. I know a few LEOs, and they love humanity in all of it's colorful "adulthood."

As a matter of fact, I met at least two on Tuesday: the CEO and COO of my employer, the former of whom wanted to meet and check in with me after I had a major anxiety attack at work and had gone on leave of absence. Prior to that meeting I was not sure I wanted to return to my job, but they were both so kind, conscientious, appreciative of my contributions to the agency and my work with our clients, genuinely concerned for my well being, and sincere in their desire that I come back, preferably in a management capacity, that I walked out of our administrative office feeling validated, appreciated, and intent on returning. These two adults have their head on their shoulders, their priorities straight, and want nothing more than to serve the vulnerable population are agency works with and to look out for the employees of the agency. So yes, I've met some adults recently, and while an experience that positive is rare, basic adult civility is not.

And even if a lot of people are classless shitbags, that hardly gives public figures permission to be even bigger classless shitbags, which seems to be the jist of your argument.

As for Krahulik's charitable donations, that's great and all but I've always felt uneasy with PA's motivations for such things. Back when Child's Play started a decade ago, they made it pretty damn clear that they were doing it just to show the world that gamers aren't a bunch of murdering psychopaths, i.e. it wasn't for the kids, it was to improve the public image of the "culture" of which they were a part: any kindness was purely incidental.

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 19:21 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 17:52:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 17:00:
There was nothing sincere or apologetic about the second comic.

You think so. I think differently. To me the second comic is their way of apologizing for controversy when it hits their site. They've done it before in the past. But it's a boring topic, and I'll never convince you and you'll never convince me, so :-shrug-:

Perhaps they need to be less ambiguous in the sincerity of their apologies then, because it seems like every 12-18 months, they say something dickish, then double down, reject all criticism, act all victimized, and then finally issue an apology that strikes a lot of people as sarcastic. Look I get that they have a "style", namely of fulfilling all the worst stereotypes about gamers, but unless they find that this shit actually GAINS them fans, then they should probably get some better PR people, or at the very least start behaving like adults.

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 17:00 Scottish Martial Arts

There was nothing sincere or apologetic about the second comic. To say that being flippant and abrasive is their style may explain why they thought they could get away with it, but it also explained why it only inflamed the situation.

If you took serious offense to something I did or said, and my apology consisted of a smirking "Yeah, I'm SO sorry about, dude, lol!" and then high fived a friend on the way out the door, you'd rightly think I was an adolescent piece of shit, even if that was "my style."

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 16:35 Scottish Martial Arts

Atomic wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 15:36:
Too much talk here about the comic. This isn't about the comic, which in context was a pretty good scathing commentary on the lack of morality in video games. This is about their childish and continued insipid response to being criticized.

Exactly. That someone was horribly offended by the original comic is kinda retarded. That a lot of people have been offended by PA's insipid, adolescent, self-righteous response to criticism isn't.

All they had to say was "A few people were offended by our Dickwolves comic, and for that we are sincerely sorry. To be clear, we do not take rape lightly. But on the other hand, this is a comic, comedy has often offended, intentionally or not, as far back as Aristophanes, and that means occasionally we're going to say something that is upsetting to some. Our intent is to amuse and inform, not hurt, but in the course of the former, the latter is occasionally going to happen. And again, for that we are sorry."

Had they done that, they would have taken the moral high ground and there would have been no controversy. Instead, they started babbling about free speech and censorship, when nothing of the sort was being infringed, resorted to provocative and insulting behavior, and then merchandized the whole controversy. That Krahulik then turns around a few years later to say that he regrets eventually putting the middle finger away, by ending the sale of Dickwolf merchandise, suggests that he is a petty, petty man.

I honestly don't care about the dickwolves comic, and think people often seek out ways to be offended, but Krahulik has revealed himself to be a pretty ugly, childish, and small person over the course of this controversy.

News Comments > DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter
7. Re: DCS WWII: Europe 1944 Kickstarter Sep 6, 2013, 01:05 Scottish Martial Arts

You are aware that flight simulations have substantially more things to model than an FPS, correct? There is a finite budget of computing resources to work with, and when you have a full fluid dynamics based flight model consuming CPU cycles, alongside an electrical systems model, fuel flow and hydraulics model, damage model, radio physics model, numerous avionics systems, ballistic models, plus a well over a hundred AI entities per mission, also consuming CPU cycles -- when you have all of that going on under the hood, you have to expect that the game isn't going to look like Crysis. But even then, DCS has some moments where the visuals are pretty stunning.  

News Comments > DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta
8. Re: DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta Sep 5, 2013, 03:53 Scottish Martial Arts

Just had my first flight in the Mi-8. It is a much more stable aircraft to fly than the Huey, however I found it very difficult to control the aircraft below the translational lift threshold. Still I had a very enjoyable 25 minute formation flight with the included free flight quick start mission. Totally vortexed on landing approach though.

For those considering buying this, I think it's more appropriate to call this an alpha release rather than a beta release. A lot of features remain unimplemented or partially complete, for example the damage model. What's there looks very very good, but this is a very early release. I suspect Belsimtek probably needed an injection of revenue to meet expenses. Still, it looks like this will be a pretty nice sim, and unlike, say, Cliffs of Dover, this isn't broken or anything -- it works fine -- it's just not done yet.

News Comments > DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta
7. Re: DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight Preorders/Beta Sep 4, 2013, 23:15 Scottish Martial Arts

Meh, if you've got the attention span, it gets rewarded in spades. I'll never forget that moment when I first completed a Black Shark Georgian Oil War mission intact, not because I had gotten lucky, but because I had mastered the aircraft systems and had mastered the tactical employment of an attack helicopter. It took over a year of consistent practice and study before I developed the technical and tactical skills to be successful in that aircraft, but now that I can there are fewer gaming experiences more satisfying than doing a mission analysis, a terrain analysis, developing a flight plan and scheme of maneuver, and then executing the mission successfully.

It's really an entirely different species of game.

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access
20. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 4, 2013, 03:46 Scottish Martial Arts

I have a good set of pedals and an excellent stick as well (Warthog HOTAS). Ideally, for a chopper sim, you want a stick with a lot of throw, which the Warthog does not have, but it works very well nevertheless. It's not the landing the Huey is impossible; it's just that it takes concentration and practice to stick your landings. At initial release it took MAJOR practice to reach that point, but it is much easier now, and apparently much more in accordance with what flying an actual Huey is like. Likewise, this is not my first chopper sim: I have a good 300 hours in DCS Black Shark, which also was not an easy chopper to fly.

I must admit that I find it odd that you can land in choppers but not fixed-wing aircraft. The same principles apply; they are just implemented differently. For a standard visual approach, you enter a standard traffic pattern at 1500' AGL, execute turn onto base and turn onto downwind legs while losing airspeed to the point where it's safe to operate flaps, which of course varies by aircraft. On downwind you can safely lose some altitude, and drop flaps to 10-15 degrees, again depending on aircraft and what flaps settings you have available. As you turn onto crosswind, drop full flaps and your undercarriage, while continuing to lose altitude. As you turn onto final, you should be roughly 500' AGL and roughly 1 minute from the runway threshold. Adjust pitch to get landing angle of attack -- most modern jets have AoA indexers which tell you exactly what you need -- trim, then adjust throttle for -400ft/min or so. At this point landing is basically hands off, but you want to pick a spot past the runway threshold -- the runway number generally works well -- and keep it fixed in your canopy, adjusting throttle to ensure it stays fixed. As you pass over the runway threshold and approach 40-50' AGL, execute a flare, i.e. cut throttle and raise pitch so that you have -100ft/min vertical velocity. Touch down, and apply wheel brakes until the nose is down. Slow to taxi speed, and follow Ground directions to the ramp.

2682 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo