Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2727 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
9. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 24, 2015, 00:05 Scottish Martial Arts

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 19:53:
After seeing the dated graphics the sense of nostalgia dies pretty quick.

Speak for yourself. The graphics are dated, but what actually matters -- gameplay, atmosphere, and storytelling -- are just as solid now as they were 15-20 years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 22, 2015, 19:23 Scottish Martial Arts

I thought the article was pretty spot on myself. I'm a little dubious about his comments on white, hetero, male bias. Certainly 95% of games, at least, are told from such a perspective, but that doesn't mean that games are actively racist, homophobic or sexist. Just narrow and clueless.

That said, none of this is particularly new stuff. Anyone that reads fiction seriously -- and no, nearly all genre scifi and fantasy series don't count -- will have noticed these recurring elements of poor craftsmanship seemingly inherent to video game writing. Heck, I've been bitching about a lot of these things on this forum for the past decade or so. As long as the industry keeps relegating writing responsibilities to fanboy hacks, then I guess all we're going to get is fan fiction.

News Comments > More on Windows 10 and Xbox
30. Re: More on Windows 10 and Xbox Jan 22, 2015, 12:38 Scottish Martial Arts

Slick wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 09:05:
lol cutter, you can't get mad/defensive when you use numbers in an argument, that are then (very politely) pointed out to you to be inaccurate/improperly used. beat me to it Bundy!

presenting stock prices on their own doesn't give any real information. that's like just quoting the atomic weight of gold as an indicator of the total weight of a 200 ft. tall gold statue. you simply don't get any information by quoting half the equation.

we're all disappointed with MS that they do nothing with pc gamers, even though they have an install base of a bazillion trillion computers already, but you don't help your argument by spouting things that don't have any bearing on what you're saying, then getting upset when corrected on it. it's a simple mistake that we've all done before. chill.

The really bizarre thing is that Cutter has made the exact same argument in a previous Microsoft thread, and had his error explained in exactly the same way, eliciting just as defensive and misguided a response from him. I guess Cutter is not a learning animal. Either that or simple algebraic equations just aren't his thing. That said I agree with his sentiment that, regardless of market valuation, Microsoft has been way off track as a company for well over a decade and doesn't show any sign of getting on track -- Nadella at the helm, or no -- anytime soon. It's just that stock price alone doesn't say ANYTHING, either for or against such a sentiment.

News Comments > Cross-Platform Windows 10 Fable Legends Announced
19. Re: Cross-Platform Windows 10 Fable Legends Announced Jan 22, 2015, 05:19 Scottish Martial Arts

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the marketing department which decided to name the third XBox, XBox One, would also write a press release that reads like parody without even realizing it.  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sells > 1M
12. Re: Alien: Isolation Sells > 1M Jan 21, 2015, 18:51 Scottish Martial Arts

Just out of curiousity, for those trashing the alien AI, how many were playing on Hard?  

News Comments > LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com
34. Re: LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com Jan 21, 2015, 02:22 Scottish Martial Arts

Tumbler wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:55:
Woohoo! Never played Xwing Alliance, always heard it was great.

In terms of graphics, features, and story, its even better than Tie Fighter. It's one weakness, in my opinion, is that the difficulty can get quite extreme. X-Wing and Tie Fighter, both generally regarded as games of above average difficulty, have nothing on Alliance. If you can tolerate repeating some missions a dozen times before you finally get it right, you're in for a real treat. And if you can't tolerate that, the game gives you 3 mission skips over the course of the campaign.

10. Re: LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com Jan 20, 2015, 13:34 Scottish Martial Arts

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:27:
For me it was all about Tie Fighter, i played Xwing and XvT but i didnt enjoy them nearly as much.

They rereleased Tie Fighter back in October. The game is still as awesome as it was 20 years ago.

8. Re: LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com Jan 20, 2015, 13:23 Scottish Martial Arts

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:12:
PS - As mentioned, the prices are ridiculous for virtually obsolete games.

The prevalence of this attitude among gamers is exhibit A in the case for why any classification of games as art is ludicrous.

I for one am glad to see two of my all time favorite games -- Alliance and Dark Forces -- available in an archival format.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Content Update Next Month
9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Content Update Next Month Jan 16, 2015, 02:24 Scottish Martial Arts

PHJF wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 01:38:
harlock wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 22:51:
PHJF wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 20:58:
Why would a spaceship need wings?

to help navigate a planets atmosphere?

Which isn't in this game...

A facetious question gets a facetious answer? Unless, you weren't being facetious, in which case a "Wing" is the term Frontier is applying to your standard MMO party in Elite.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 22, 2014, 12:49 Scottish Martial Arts

wtf_man wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 11:48:
they could always call in an 18? Trillion dollar debt

The Chinese hold nowhere near that amount of US debt. According to the US Treasury, as of October 2014, they hold $1.25 Trillion and the amount has been going steadily down for the past two years. Most people don't realize that less than a quarter of US federal debt is held outside of the US. A solid third of it is just intragovernmental debt -- i.e. the accounting that occurs when one department or agency has an under budget year and its surplus is transferred to another agency, thus becoming debt on the latter agency's balance sheet -- and of the debt held by non-governmental parties, the overwhelming majority is held by US individuals and corporations. The idea that we're in hock to China and they can call a debt due like a loan shark simply isn't born out by the numbers.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth OS X Patch & Linux Status
5. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth OS X Patch & Linux Status Dec 14, 2014, 01:26 Scottish Martial Arts

This was such a clusterfuck of a game. What a disappointment. Mechanically a total mess, and the AI barely even knows how to play the game. Basic usability and interface issues are rampant, making you question if you were actually playing a professionally made game from a AAA studio. It felt like a Dune sandworm took a green, purple, and orange shit on Civ V, and the interns were left to make something interesting underneath. And they failed. Badly.  

News Comments > Titanfall Deluxe Edition Released
2. Re: Titanfall Deluxe Edition Released Nov 19, 2014, 21:33 Scottish Martial Arts

So what ended up being the consensus on this game? Was it any good?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2014, 14:48 Scottish Martial Arts

BobBob wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 11:38:
How much cheaper is a ridesharing vs. say renting a car? I use sites such as Rental Car Momma and find some really great deals. Other than the occasional hop on a bus or subway, I just can't imagine having someone driving me around -- gives me the creeps.

It depends, but with the rental you also have to figure in the cost of gas and parking, and your time spent driving the vehicle, as opposed to being driven. With the new carpool features that Uber and Lyft have introduced, a carpool ride share is much more economical than owning or renting, provided you live in a metro area.

News Comments > DCS Su-27 Trailer
10. Re: DCS Su-27 Trailer Nov 11, 2014, 16:59 Scottish Martial Arts

Aero wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 14:45:
Cool as Mig-21's are, I don't want to fly them against F-15's. Cool as the Huey is, I don't want to fly anywhere near Shilkas or even modern manpads.

The F-4, F-5 and B-52, the MiG-21s primary opponents in its hey-day are all in the game as AI objects. The ZSU-23 was also operational during the UH-1s service history, as were most of the MANPADs you see employed in the sim. The fact of the matter is that utility helicopters are extremely vulnerable to even the most rudimentary air defenses. Nap of the earth flight isn't done because it looks cool; its because its the only way to limit the observability, and thus potential to be engaged by air defenses, of a helicopter. Likewise, with the Ka-50 module, if you aren't fighting from cover, and moving from cover to cover like an infantryman, then you're not going to last long in the campaign.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
60. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 11, 2014, 12:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 02:30:
beremot wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 02:02:
Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 01:41:
You should look it up. The Republicans have gotten so good at it, that there were elections where the Democratic candidate actually got more votes overall ... and still lost.

Can I get a link or three on that? I hadn't heard that before now. And I thought re-districting only benefitted the party in power (which in the Senate was the Democrats)?

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on this issue either, but here are some numbers compiled by daily kos, which is a left wing website, meaning some will immediately dismiss the data out of hand, but whatever ...

I get what you are saying now. Here's a link that describes it well. As far as sources go, I'll read anything from Breibart to Media Matters and anything in between. I have a finely-honed BS detector that serves me pretty well.

Yeah it's pretty routine now that the Democrats, at a national level, will get more votes in Congressional elections, yet Republicans will win more seats in Congress. In other words, if you total up all the votes in all Congressional elections across the country, you get something like 52-48 Democrat's advantage, but end up with a House with 200-235 Republicans advantage. Partly its a result of Gerrymandering, but more than that is the fact that Democratic voters tend to concentrate very densely in certain areas, i.e. major cities, while Republicans tend to be more broadly distributed. The end result is that Democrats win urban districts with like 90% of the vote, while Republicans win rural and suburban districts with 55-60% of the vote. If Democrats were more broadly distributed geographically, you would see a Democratic House much more frequently, but since they are concentrated, and since you only need 50%+1 to win an election, many of their votes are "wasted" in districts where victory was already assured.

23. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 11, 2014, 01:04 Scottish Martial Arts

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 00:26:
I can see this issue eventually making its way to the Supreme Court. In the event that it did, would the Supreme Court ruling be the final word on the matter?

If the Supreme Court were to rule that the FCC does not have the authority to reclassify broadband Internet as a Title II Common Carrier, i.e. a utility, under the Communications Act of 1934, then, absent further legislation, that would be the last word. Lower courts have stated pretty explicitly that the FCC does have administrative discretion in this matter, per the Communications Act of 1934 and the Telecommunications Act of 1996, but the Supreme Court could interpret the law differently, ruling that the FCC does NOT have such authority. If that happened the FCC would not be able to make rules to enforce Net Neutrality, unless the Congress wrote a new Telecommunications Act which more explicitly granted the FCC such authority.

Congress deliberates the issues of the day and writes laws to address them (the Communications Act of 1934, which establishes a regulatory body to ensure that all Americans have access to "wire and radio communication" at reasonable prices, among other objectives), the Executive decides how to administrate those laws and carries out their execution (is internet broadband a "common carrier" like telephone service?), the Judiciary interprets the law to resolve disputes over the law and its administration (after a successful suit by Verizon, a Federal judge ruled in 2010 that the FCC does not have authority to enforce Net Neutrality rules on broadband Internet providers, unless the FCC first reclassifies such service as a "common carrier", i.e. public utility like water, telephone or electricity).

14. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 11, 2014, 00:22 Scottish Martial Arts

LittleMe wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:37:
But last January, a federal appeals court struck down the regulation because the court said the FCC didn't technically have the legal authority to tell broadband providers how to manage their networks.

The proper way to go about this sort of thing would be to pass a law. I saw no such language in the article. So it appears the pres doesn't care about the rule of law but his supposed authority over the FCC to enforce a 'rule' already found to be not within their lawful authority. This is how kings operate.

The government can only do so much here. This is where a free-er market would give consumers what they want - Internet access without being under the thumb of government-sanctioned monopolistic internet providers. Obama just loves to be the center of attention here as usual. It's superficial flair with no substance.

There is a law -- the Telecommunications Act -- and it is the whole basis of the current state of the Net Neutrality discussion. You don't seem to understand the difference between legislation and public administration. Law cannot, does not, and will not ever, describe every detail, with precision, of how the government does its job; this is the difference between law and administrative rules, a difference which should be civics 101. The Congress writes laws, but the Executive branch determines how to "execute" and administer those laws. For example, the Congress passes the Clean Water Act, a law mandating improvement in water quality and authorizing the EPA to administer those mandates; the EPA, in turn, studies the requirements, brings their own expertise to bear, determines the exact regulatory rules necessary to implement those legislative mandates, determines the details of how to enforce those rules, and establishes metrics to measure how well the new regulatory regime is actually achieving the goals set down in law by Congress. Again, this is Civics 101. In the case of Net Neutrality, the FCC has the authority to classify broadband Internet as a Title II Public Utility under the Telecommunications Act. As a regulatory body responsible for the actual implementation of said law, the FCC has administrative discretion on whether or not broadband Internet should be so classified, and whether or not the rule making authority granted by such a classification should be used to write rules which enforce Net Neutrality. The President, who is the head of the Executive Branch, of which the FCC is a part, has come out in favor of classification of broadband Internet as a public utility subject to Title II regulatory authority. This is how government is supposed to work. It's called separation of powers. The Executive branch makes the administrative decisions which actually implement laws, and whether or not broadband Internet is a Title II utility or an information service is one such administrative decision. If Congress determined the precise details of how to run government, government would cease to function because a deliberative body is completely ill suited to solving administrative problems; imagine if the management at your company took a company wide vote on any decision no matter how minute.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at your ignorance of 8th grade Civics, given your complete ignorance of how the Internet developed and how Net Neutrality does and does not relate to government regulation and the free market, but I guess I'm just galled that someone who is always first to pipe up on political topics doesn't seem to know much about government.

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM [Updated]
20. Re: Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM Nov 5, 2014, 11:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Shadow of Boston? That's the best subtitle they could come up with? Jesus.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 3, 2014, 00:25 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 22:15:
Creston wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 17:32:
PropheT wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 16:01:
Rossini wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 14:42:
Maybe I played way too much Civ 5. But is anyone else finding Civ: Beyond Earth boring?

I like it really well, but after a first game that went pretty much perfectly I haven't been able to complete any more. I got to a late turn in my next game, and the game just ended with no feedback as to why. The next game, Elodie gives me a dialog about going to war with someone in turn 300-something and the game locks up; can't reply to her, can't get out of it, reloading an earlier save doesn't help. Same thing next game.

Doesn't take much to make you not want to play after getting to turn 300+ in a Civ game and not being able to finish multiple times. I like the game, but it's hard to recommend when that's the experience I keep getting.

Eeekk... Definitely waiting on some patches first then...

Da game insta ends if AI gets a victory.. no screen, no message, nothing..

The game in general is pretty much a mess. Devoid of personality or atmosphere, inert AI, little sense of progression over the course of a game, some utterly boneheaded usability design decisions (trade routes, I'm looking at you!), and remarkably little strategic depth. The game has a few nice ideas, but ultimately it is too stripped down, and what is there doesn't cohere in any meaningful way. Beyond Earth marks the first time in quite a while where I can say I have genuinely wasted my money.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 27, 2014, 17:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 14:36:
OUt of touch, out of date, out of purpose government agency seeks to cling to relevance as people realize that government agencies only make their lives worse.

Yeah man, I hate buying a gallon of milk and knowing that it's actually a gallon and doesn't have e coli in it. Shutdown the FDA!

Seriously though, while I love Uber and Lyft and would hate to see them go away, or have their prices go so high that they aren't usable, there are some serious unanswered questions about their business model, particularly with regard to liability. While relatively rare, any car ride can end with you getting seriously injured or killed. How do you know the car is well maintained, e.g. that the tires aren't on their last legs? How do you know that the driver doesn't abuse pain killers? If there is an accident in which you are injured, how much of the liability is Uber or Lyft going to try to offload to the independent contractor (god forbid that the people their service depends on be actual employees) who may or may not have an insurance policy large enough to cover commercial driving liability? The answers to all of these questions may be perfectly adequate, but without regulatory agencies, we have to depend on the companies themselves to provide the answers. Given how predatory the two companies have been in their competition with each other, forgive me if I'm not immediately inclined to trust them.

Still, Uber and Lyft are damn handy.

2727 Comments. 137 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo