Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for SMA

Real Name SMA   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scottish Martial Arts
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2002, 23:16
Total Comments 2707 (Senior)
User ID 13410

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Corporate Lockdown DLC This Month
15. Re: Alien: Isolation Corporate Lockdown DLC This Month Oct 22, 2014, 01:25 Scottish Martial Arts

DangerDog wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 18:59:

You can't kill the alien so having weapons and crafted explosives in your inventory has no affect on the alien coming after you or not - only exception is the flame thrower but it'll only get it to back off ever so temporarily, and piss it off.

The molotov and pipebomb will also scare it off for about 30 seconds. In general, the flamethrower seems like more of a "you fucked up, but you won't die for it... yet" thing than an actual weapon. When I would have to use it, I'd use the couple second break to find a good hiding spot, then I'd wait for it to come back, search for me in vain, and return to the vents. Occasionally I'd also use the flamethrower or a molotov to get that 30 second break, and then I'd make an all out dash to the next objective, although I'd only employ this strategy when near the end of a level.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Corporate Lockdown DLC This Month
7. Re: Alien: Isolation Corporate Lockdown DLC This Month Oct 21, 2014, 16:03 Scottish Martial Arts

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 15:22:
I'm not sure why but still my biggest reason for not getting this game (besides money) is that the Alien is walking. Now I know it's been awhile since I last saw Alien, but it just seems so unnatural especially of the game videos I have seen.

It's how it moved in the first Alien film. You generally only caught glimpses of it, particularly early on because they intentionally wanted to hide the fact it was humanoid until the third act. When you do finally get a couple of good looks at it, however, it's standing and its mode of locomotion is walking. The latter films generally have the aliens crawl and leap, but in the first one it walks. Scott has talked a lot over the years about how he envisioned the alien as being far more sophisticated than a mere animal, but wanted to only give hints of that sophistication while keeping the details fuzzy; part of hinting at that sophistication was giving it a humanoid shape and allowing it to walk.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 12:07 Scottish Martial Arts

Do you guys not read criticism outside of gaming? The whole point is for the author to react and interpret. A mere recitation of the facts may be useful for making purchasing decisions but it's not the function of criticism, which is to record an impression of a work of art that hopefully gives some insight or a new angle with which to either appreciate or reject said piece.

The problem with game reviews, as I see it, is that people, both the audience for reviews and the people who write them, don't know whether they want a consumer product review, like a review of a vacuum in Consumer Reports, or an art criticism piece like what you would see in a literary magazine or film review section of a newspaper. Gamers like to harp on and on about how games are art, yet the fact that most gamers have been conditioned to treat game criticism as a consumer product review, and that on the rare occasion a review strays into the world of ideas its to point out nothing more sophisticated than a sexist portrayal of a character, is pretty telling about the medium's relative sophistication and artistic merits. Either we want games to grow up or we don't, and increasingly it looks like we don't.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 11, 2014, 19:00 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 16:16:
What users want to change about windows 10 TP.

I'd hope the first thing is the keylogger... Sadly it isn't. This baffles me, though:

There's a bit of a niggle that Windows 10 users are encouraged into using a Microsoft account rather than a local one, but as this is central to the idea of syncing Windows 10 between computers, requests to make local accounts "easier" to implement are likely to fall on deaf ears.

You HAVE to sign in with a MS account? You can't make local users? W.T.F?

Since when does "encouraged" mean "forced with no other option"? The option is there, but non-obvious. A legitimate improvement would be to make it more obvious, which is what the article suggests.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Oct 7, 2014, 01:43 Scottish Martial Arts

Uh, you guys are aware that this is all made up right? As in it's just the product of various dudes sitting at their desks over the years trying to come up with a story and characters that people will like? That there's no "how it really happened" because, you know, none of it has actually happened? If you liked a story that's all that matters, because that's all it is: a story.  

News Comments > DCS: Su-27 Announced
4. Re: DCS: Su-27 Announced Oct 6, 2014, 20:44 Scottish Martial Arts

I just wanted to echo bigspender. If you have any interest in military aviation, DCS is where it's at. I would describe the learning curve with these sims as quite long, but not overly difficult, and immensely rewarding. If you are willing to accept that it's going to take some learning, study, and practice before you get that first kill, then give it a shot, because while this sim makes you work at your proficiency, the thrill of getting that kill is unmatched. Heck, I always feel pleased with myself when I run through the start up sequence of an aircraft by heart and see the cold plane come to life, ready to fly and fight.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2014, 12:34 Scottish Martial Arts

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 11:45:
Am I the only one finding it hilarious they need to release a new KERNEL to support a single USB device?

Or was it previously supported and needed hacks and this is just the sane version of that?

The feature list is longer than the headline.

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2014, 00:30 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 20:13:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 15:35:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 15:22:
There is no professional requirement for a credentialed journalist to have a degree in journalism. This should be pretty common knowledge to anyone past the age of 14.

Sure there's no professional requirement, good luck getting hired on at any publication without one though.

SMA has delusions of grandeur that he's right about everything and everyone else is wrong. Nevermind he doesn't understand the difference between and a games reviewer and an actual, real journalist, he'll never let the facts get in the way of his idiotic rants. He'd be laughable if he wasn't so pathetic.

Dude, ever since I graduated high school over a decade ago, I've posted here on average about twice a month, generally making very short posts which fade into the background. You on the other hand have spent a good chunk of your adult life staking out a claim for yourself as the BluesNews resident crank. The fact that you are accusing me of delusions of grandeur and always claiming to be right, when in fact I barely even post here, merely reinforces my thesis that something has gone seriously wrong when it comes to Halsy's mental state.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2014, 00:26 Scottish Martial Arts

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 15:35:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 15:22:
There is no professional requirement for a credentialed journalist to have a degree in journalism. This should be pretty common knowledge to anyone past the age of 14.

Sure there's no professional requirement, good luck getting hired on at any publication without one though.

Without a bachelor's degree? Yes, good luck. With a bachelor's degree, in any major, with some school newspaper experience, a blog with some readership, and a few journalism related internships? Then, you stand a good chance of getting hired. Very few working journalists, be it at the New York Times, The Economist, Fox News, or the gaming "press", hold journalism degrees. The practicing field just hasn't found exceptional value in journalism school as career preparation, and unlike law or medicine it simply isn't a professional requirement.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Oct 1, 2014, 15:22 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 15:06:
How odd. Dan's LI profile for education says....

University of Michigan
Statistics
1989 1994

That's so weird. I thought you had to go to J school to be an actual real journalist. Huh, so we can just make shit up and call ourselves what we like eh? Ok, in that case you may all address me as Dr. Cutter because I'm now a physician - even though I never went to school for it.

There is no professional requirement for a credentialed journalist to have a degree in journalism. This should be pretty common knowledge to anyone past the age of 14. Journalism school has its pros and cons -- most career journalists will tell you you're better off studying the area you want to specialize your coverage in, or foreign languages if you play to cover stories internationally, or even just English to improve your ability to write.

Seriously, Halsy, your comments over the past year or so make me wonder if we're seeing some sort of early onset dementia unfolding. Your posts delve into knee-jerk retardation with increasingly frightening regularity.

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Sep 27, 2014, 22:32 Scottish Martial Arts

I've had the Warthog HOTAS since 2012. Easily the best stick I've ever purchased and have had zero reliability problems. Prior to getting the Warthog, I could never pull off an air-to-air refueling in DCS A-10C; after I got one I could, without difficulty. It's strange that the article didn't discuss how tightly integrated the HOTAS into the DCS module: you flip a switch on your HOTAS, you see it flip on screen; you control the A-10C EXACTLY how it is controlled in real life. It's really a great setup. And as others have pointed out, if lack of stick twist throttle is a deal breaker, you aren't in the target market, i.e. the market that already has dedicated rudder pedals. The biggest thing about the HOTAS however is how REAL it feels. It's made of steel. In the winter, when you sit down with it on a saturday morning, the stick is cold, as are the throttle handles. There is no holding the thing steady with one hand while flying with the other. It's just rock solid.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 20, 2014, 12:25 Scottish Martial Arts

jdreyer wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 21:27:
I think this is the most entertaining video of why the moon landings couldn't have been faked. Ties in nicely with the VXGI vid above.

That's an old favorite of mine, and really presents the most convincing argument possible: we probably had the technology to go to the moon in 1969, but we most definitely did NOT have the technology to fake it in a film studio -- video technology just wasn't mature enough yet. I was really a bit disappointed with the Maxwell video though, since much of what it was debunking can be shown to be fallacious with a basic knowledge of photography and lighting, no advanced computer lighting engine required.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
17. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 13:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 01:23:
And you mean the market cap that places America's corporations as Exxon, Apple, and Google in that order? You mean that it only took them less than 10 years to crush what easily should have been Microsoft's #2 spot? Who doesn't know about market cap? Uh huh, keep derpim' away.

And what's the number 4 US publicly-held corporation by market cap? Microsoft. What was number 3 in the first quarter of this year? Microsoft. Also, Exxon is the number 2 US publicly held company by market cap; Apple has the number 1 spot. It's almost like these corporations move up and down in their relative rankings but all are in the same tier of competition!

I frankly don't give a shit who is the biggest corporation, but if you're going to make an asinine comment (Apple and Google don't do stupid stuff like Microsoft) and then support it with a metric that cannot be directly compared (stock price) then you need to be called on it. And if you're suddenly so concerned about market cap, then why two days ago were you quoting stock prices as if that had any meaning? It's almost like you had the stunning revelation that not all publicly held corporations have the same number of outstanding shares, subsequently googled "market cap", and are now backpedaling and shifting goal posts in a desperate attempt not to look like a jack ass.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 00:57 Scottish Martial Arts

Beamer wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 20:05:
It's a shame Cutter never reads any responses to how wrong he is, as we never got him to clarify this boneheaded comment:
Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 20:00:
The Pyro wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 19:23:
For reference, Microsoft is currently the 3rd largest company in the world with a market capitalization of $340 billion. They have 100,000 employees. This offer puts the value of Mojang at almost 1% of that... an indie game being valued at almost 1% of the dominant business software company on the planet!

It's ridiculous.

But of course this isn't real money, here... it's inflated shares of stock. If you try to cash out all at once then you destroy the value of your stock in the process. You still end up filthy rich, of course...

MS Stock? 50 bucks a share.

Apple? $100. Google? $600. Why? Because they don't do dumb stuff like this.

Silly Beamer! Don't you know that all publicly traded corporations have exactly the same number of shares on the market? It's totally an apples-to-apples comparison! No one even knows what market capitalization is anyway!

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 7, 2014, 20:18 Scottish Martial Arts

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 17:08:
Most sports aren't even sports. They're glorified hobbies. Baseball, golf, et al. are all hobbies IMO.

Eh, baseball requires some pretty phenomenal athletic ability, both in terms of sheer physical prowess and in terms of mechanical skill. No, it does not involve a lot of running back and forth, but I find it really hard to watch a short stop make a successful diving catch, spin onto a knee, and then make an accurate, fast throw in a split second to make the double play, and then, having watched such a feat, turn around and liken the game in which it occurred to darts, pool, or golf.

News Comments > Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced
22. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 1, 2014, 19:03 Scottish Martial Arts

djinn wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 16:47:
JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 00:10:
Trying to remember if I played through ICW1 or 2. Which one had a museum towards the end with a frozen whale in it?

That was near the end? I must have been so close to completing, but got stuck on some boss in a dungeon beyond that point.

The glacier and ice museum is between upper and lower Dorn's Deep as I recall. Lower Dorn's Deep is the last major dungeon, although it's a freaking huge one and there's still an end game area afterwards.

17. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 1, 2014, 10:29 Scottish Martial Arts

Domgrief wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 02:45:
I think the larger problem with these remakes is that, no matter how much you polish the engine, AD&D 2.5 still feels 20 years old. Most people who know what THAC0 means are probably grandparents by now.

Although the AD&D 1e and 2e THAC0/AC/Saving Throw system was pretty obtuse -- lower is better except when it's not! -- once you got your head around the mechanics I thought it made for pretty decent gameplay. The weaknesses of early D&D, and how they continue to influence latter editions, have been beaten to death, but compared to modern cRPGs the system was challenging, yet fair, and forced you to respect the limitations of your character and the dangers of resorting to combat. Of course the computer implementations of D&D didn't really give you many alternatives to combat, if any, but that sense of danger and need for precise tactics which persists from the early through the mid levels of DnD is something modern games really don't capture,

16. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 1, 2014, 10:22 Scottish Martial Arts

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 00:10:
Trying to remember if I played through ICW1 or 2. Which one had a museum towards the end with a frozen whale in it?

If I recall correctly, Icewind Dales were more linear and combat focused than the Baldurs Gates.

That was Icewind Dale 1.

They were linear, although the emphasis on combat was about the same. Furthermore, most people misremember how "open" Baldur's Gate 2 was: although it's predecessor was pretty non-linear, BG2's main plot was completely linear, and once you got on the boat to go to the asylum island, which was at the end of chapter 3, you were committed to proceeding linearly through the plot content, without deviation and no way but forward, until the very last quest. In effect, you get out of the opening dungeon and discover a huge open world, and then get locked out of that world as soon as you get past the first major plot quest. Likewise, Throne of Bhaal was just as linear as either of the Icewind Dales. In contrast, BG1 was mostly non-linear, but much of it's game world was very content light.

4. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Aug 31, 2014, 16:05 Scottish Martial Arts

Icewind Dale 1 was superb. Easily the best dungeon design of the IE series, and among the best of CRPGs in general. Each one oozed with atmosphere, had its own backstory, and had some great encounters and puzzles too. The first expansion was kind of weak, but the fact that they made a second, excellent expansion and gave it away for free in response to the disappointment more than made up for it.

I miss Black Isle.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2014, 22:51 Scottish Martial Arts

Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 13:00:
The fact the girls are dressed like they're getting ready for a Brazzers shoot doesn't bother me.

Completely off-topic but that reminds me of something a friend recently said: "It's getting increasingly difficult to tell female Fox News anchors apart from Brazzers porn stars." I'm kinda inclined to agree.

2707 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo