Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stolk

Real Name Stolk   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stolk
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 27, 2002, 02:26
Total Comments 482 (Amateur)
User ID 13170

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup
32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 11:14 Stolk

OK note to self: Don't read asshole user reviews on Metacritic.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo for All
2. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo for All Feb 17, 2012, 10:11 Stolk

It's my most anticipated game of 2012.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 12:34 Stolk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 10:46:
I feel it's unethical to warn, suspend or ban players who are playing the game within the mechanics you designed instead of the way you intended. If your mechanics allow an action you did not intend, change the mechanics.

Badly said.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches
16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launches Dec 20, 2011, 12:30 Stolk

Cutter wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 11:43:
What's there isn't bad, not good, but not bad. It does have its moments but what game doesn't? It certainly isn't built for any longevity. You're going to see big drops in pops at the 3 and 6 mo. period.

Aww man you said 'period'. Well, I guess that's that

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
42. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 23, 2011, 22:26 Stolk

Dev wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 20:51:
Stolk wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 16:17:
30 bucks for Black Ops is not a deal.
Bobby Kotick thinks it is... and with 1 million ppl paying the subscription for the CoD Elite, he might be right.

Sad but true. The new Twilight movie is also raking in money.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
5. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 23, 2011, 16:17 Stolk

30 bucks for Black Ops is not a deal.  

News Comments > Skyrim Arrives
76. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 15:00 Stolk

OldScho0l wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:40:
Stolk wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 14:03:
Sure would be nice to be able to bind them numlock keys for movement. I'd hate to sit in front of my computer playing this game with a 360 controller in my hand.

I know it's a pain in the arse, but you could always rebind them using "Auto hotkey". It's very easy to make the script.

For instance, to set numpad8 to act as w, do the following.

Numpad8::w

Repeat this for all the keys you want to use.
Numpad5::s
Numpad4::a
Numpad6::d

and so on. Just ad the lines to the bottom of the script. It's very easy. Make sure to set the script as active before playing the game.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

News Comments > Skyrim Arrives
63. Re: Skyrim Arrives Nov 11, 2011, 14:03 Stolk

Sure would be nice to be able to bind them numlock keys for movement. I'd hate to sit in front of my computer playing this game with a 360 controller in my hand.  

News Comments > Skyrim Reviews
92. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:51 Stolk

Cannot bind numpad keys at all. This game is not playable for me. Developers are slowly driving me off the PC. Could be their goal...  

News Comments > Skyrim Reviews
87. Re: Skyrim Reviews Nov 11, 2011, 00:16 Stolk

It went from 35 percent to 100 percent in a matter of seconds.  

News Comments > Skyrim Preloads; Diary
6. Re: Skyrim Preloads; Diary Nov 8, 2011, 23:43 Stolk

Now I can't wait for this game to finally unlock and find out exactly what video driver problems there will be, read the forums on Friday while at work and come home with some hopeful fixes so I can play with out too many issues or crashes.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Story Documents Leaked
8. Re: Mass Effect 3 Story Documents Leaked Nov 8, 2011, 01:21 Stolk

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 23:21:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 23:11:
RollinThundr wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 22:16:
Not that I don't disagree that Bioware has gone quickly downhill quality wise since the buyout, how does a MS employee accidentally leaking an internal build via live dashboard update beta testers have any fault of EA attached?
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 22:12:
Yeah just like how the Half Life 2 Source Code was stolen when EA bought Valve... oh wait..
Yes because as we all know that internal story files = the internal build. Which are two completely different things! Yep indeedlyly doo. Reading comprehension is the key.

Which isn't any info we didn't already know. Personally I might just skip ME3 altogether, considering I thought DA2 sucked donkey balls and I loved DA Origins, the tacked on MP and it affecting the story leaves a very bad taste in my mouth just as a design decision even if you don't technically have to play MP at all.

Also I didn't really enjoy ME2 that much, the plot was barely existent beyond babysit companions for 95% of the game, kill a overgrown terminator reaper, THE END! Dark second chapter my ass Bioware.

Yes I think you should skip it. Matter of fact, we're all counting on it!

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers
2. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Reference Drivers Oct 31, 2011, 22:41 Stolk

While I don't get shades of blue in Rage, I do get some awful texture flashing with these.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers
13. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 20, 2011, 22:12 Stolk

WaltC wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 09:15:
Krovven wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 00:27:

Finally fixed my video problems with Rage. Very sad shame that it took 2 weeks for the proper drivers to come out allowing me to play the game. It really is inexcusable from all three id software, AMD and Bethesda that the game was released without the proper drivers being available.

Don't forget about the patches that id software has made to the game in the last two weeks--still more to come in that department if I recall correctly. Most definitely this was completely id software's fault, all the way around. Ars Technica reviewed the console version of the game and gave it terrible marks, including bad marks for massive texture popping! Don't be mistaken about the game's bugs, graphical and otherwise--they affected all versions of the game to some degree upon release. Those bugs are the fault of no one except the game developer.

If id software doesn't release their code to 3d-card IHVs ahead of time there's no way that either nVidia or AMD could be prepared. Although the game initially ran better on nVidia products, because apparently the only in-house 3d cards id software owns for testing and development are made by nVidia, it was nVidia who initially put out the faq as to how to configure the game to run properly on nVidia products--because the game initially did not run properly on nVidia 3d cards, either..

This should be common sense--it is up to the game developer/publisher to see that a game is relatively bug-free upon release--and nobody else. This means that a developer tests his software and initiates a dialogue with 3d-card IHVs, if necessary, so as to address these kinds of problems *before* the game code is frozen and finalized ahead of shipping. This is also one very good reason AMD has a solid, reliable monthly driver update program--it allows them to constantly stay on top of things to the degree that a game/developer allows them to do so. But even that, as you know, is no defense against a buggy release from a game developer, which is pretty much all that happened here.

Basically, this game had two *separate* issues out of the gate:

(1) Bugs, graphical and otherwise
(2) No attempt by id software was made to differentiate the PC version to take advantage of the "ten times more power" that Carmack states an average PC has over a console.

Carmack went on to cite "budget restraints" as the likely culprit, but the fact is that id software & Bethesda publishing chose to release a version for the PC, thereby enticing people who own PCs to buy the game--so an accommodation to the PC's environment should certainly have been budgeted. Otherwise, the correct release path to have taken was not to release for the PC. (Either do it right or don't do it at all. Doing less is a cheat.)

Last, it may well be that Carmack has shaped his company around consoles and portable devices, and that is fine, of course, as far as it goes. However, there are plenty of companies who do great work for the PC and are suitably rewarded for it--despite Carmack's opinions on the matter. He seems to favor Commander Keen territory, and I certainly won't begrudge his actions if he opts to stay there in the future.

What a horrible post of bad information.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers
1. Re: New AMD/ATI Catalyst Preview Drivers Oct 19, 2011, 21:00 Stolk

Well these make Rage run better than ever. Settings all the way up now and little to no pop-in. If only they made sure these were available day 1, would have been a better day for everyone involved.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2011, 21:05.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed
18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 10, 2011, 11:20 Stolk

Slashman wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 10:18:
I don't want co-op. I don't want multiplayer. Just provide a superior single-player action RPG experience and end the series properly.

Multiplayer is the last thing I ever think about when playing ME.

Why in the hell do I need a Shepherd #2, #3 and #4 to complete an experience I spent 2 full games playing in single player?

For crying out friggin' loud!

They gotta keep you guys fed with things to complain about right?

News Comments > RAGE Interview
26. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 01:11 Stolk

The interviewer is just being a smartass. Play 2 hours of the game and then ask generic questions that make fun of gamey elements of many games but in this case are pointed at RAGE since he just played "so much" RAGE and clearly didn't care much for it. It's a non-story of one dude trying to be funny.

I've had little nitpicks here and there, but damn the combat is fun and of course it sure is pretty.

News Comments > Fixed ATI RAGE Driver
5. Re: Fixed ATI RAGE Driver Oct 4, 2011, 19:13 Stolk

Well damn I just installed this new driver, made a few of the changes to my launch options (+com_allowconsole 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +m_smooth 0) and forced vsync in the Catalyst control center and the game is running like a dream. Even set my resolution back to my desktop resolution of 1920x1076 and it's smooth, no tearing of course, and I really have to force it to see any significant texture pop-ins.

Color me happy.

News Comments > More id RAGE Midnight Madness
34. Re: More id RAGE Midnight Madness Oct 4, 2011, 01:01 Stolk

Krovven wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 00:48:
Well so far, from as soon as the in-game engine starts playing it's a slide show for me. Going to have to do some investigating. Could be a bad sector on my drive...doubt it as i just did a test on it the other day. But I'm going with, video driver problem. I have the newest AMD driver (the BF3 one)...so I dunno.

Mine was pretty slow as well. The game chose my desktop resolution as default which is 1920x1076. I just bumped that down and it was significantly better. Better framerates and less pop-in, and still looks great.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
12. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 00:52 Stolk

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:03:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 23:31:
A shotgun blast to the chest, close-range or otherwise (close range would actually lessen the chance of it hitting the heart, since it hasn't spread as much yet) can still leave someone mortally wounded but alive long enough to keep going on adrenaline, shock and willpower,

I think FPS Russia would probably very much disagree with you.

There's a four weapon limit? WTF? Yeah, that'll be modded out in a heartbeat. Even if I have to do it myself.

Creston

4 weapon limit? I remember reading Tim Willits specifically say there would be no limits of the kind, giving a dig at DNF at the same time even.

482 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo