Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 697 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Sep 7, 2014, 09:50 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 03:20:
So your phone has four cores, but you can't USE four cores. At least not in anything more than a very short burst.

It depends on your definition of "using". In practice a CPU core will often go idle briefly even while a process is technically using it (e.g. because it's waiting on I/O), and power management then works to let it descend into various sleep states that e.g. turn parts of the chip off via clock gating to have it draw less power - and thus also leak less heat. A situation where all four cores are at C0 (not sleeping) for any length of time is going to be rare in practice. And even at meager utilization multi-core can have performance benefits, especially because mobile CPU cores are traditionally not really designed for ILP.

That said, I'm sure there are offenders in the smartphone industry who push down on the thermal envelope too aggressively.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2014, 09:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs
10. Re: Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs Sep 7, 2014, 09:33 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 09:28:
And more hilariously, the games where it matters most (Simulations) have been skimping on properly utilizing 64bit.. and thus we gained nothing from 64bit even though it's now supported.

Well, apples and oranges, though. The reason the industry was able to pull the wool over consumer's eyes on 64 bit is that the average consumer simply isn't qualified to understand what it actually means (and so they could get away with ludicrous claims); with 4k displays, the difference is right in your face.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Sep 6, 2014, 18:55 Sho

DangerDog wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 17:45:
Cell phone radiation is a real thing

[citation needed]

7. Re: Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs Sep 6, 2014, 18:46 Sho

The scaling would be OK, yeah, but if I want to run a 4k monitor on my current GPU at 60 Hz my only option is to use DisplayPort MST, which means it shows up as two monitors in my OS, with all the software/driver-side headache that brings with it (though admittedly it's fairly painfree with nVidia). And HDMI 2.0 means getting a new GPU.  

5. Re: Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs Sep 6, 2014, 17:31 Sho

I'm really hoping to upgrade to a 24" 4k monitor next year (up from my 1920x1200 24-incher). What I look most at on my PC's screen during any given day is actually text, and smartphone/tablet screens have spoiled me so much now - I can't fucking stand the blurry 100ppi mess on my desktop anymore. As soon as there's something affordable and low-latency with a good IPS panel I'm in, I think. I'm aware of the UP2414Q but it just doesn't tick all the boxes yet ...

No clue how I'm going to handle the GPU side (I ain't made of money either), but I'm so ready for dat density.

News Comments > The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Early Access
3. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Early Access Sep 5, 2014, 08:33 Sho

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 22:59:
And what would the point be in doing EA for an adventure game?

I was surprised, too (I'm a backer). Basically they have split the game into five chapters and are releasing them ASAP one by one via Early Access. Early Access is free for all backers who put in $25 or more, which is a relatively low bar compared to other campaigns doing EA (I backed much more since I loved their earlier games). I guess it allows us backers to participate more closely from here on out or something. But I'm not really sure I'll play it before it's done.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Coming to Linux
5. Re: Borderlands 2 Coming to Linux Sep 4, 2014, 09:26 Sho

Neuenc wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 09:19:
If it is a straight port. If it's in a wrapper, well, you know.

You never know, but Borderlands 2 is Unreal Engine 3 and there's a couple of other native ports of the engine around, so it's doable at least.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Coming to Linux
3. Re: Borderlands 2 Coming to Linux Sep 4, 2014, 08:18 Sho

The more the merrier!

But I never played Borderlands 1. Would I need to?

Edit: Seems BL1 runs fine on Linux via Wine though, so I guess I could catch up that way (still have a Win around too, sure, but I'm too lazy to reboot when I don't need to).

News Comments > Op Ed
328. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2014, 21:31 Sho

Julio wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 20:44:
If there's 'fucking stupidity' on both sides, I assume it would also apply to the 'uncomfortable' poster who's mostly sitting on the fence...

Sure, I've been known to occassionally be stupid.

Anyway, I'm actually sorry I wrote that post in that way. It was shitty style, both for retreading already-covered ground and acting as if you're "not in the room". I think we should be better than that with one another in here even when in disagreement, so again, sorry.

News Comments > Op Ed
319. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2014, 13:10 Sho

Verno wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:02:
This thread didn't do anything, maybe a specific poster did but take it up with them and don't try to put all opposing view points into the same bucket.

That really wasn't my intention, but fair enough. I meant to point out that some folks on both sides of the issue resort to the same polemics.

Verno wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:02:
There are far more cogent arguments against Sarkeesians nonsense coming from this thread than for it anyway.

I agree some very valid criticism of her work was posted. I think "nonsense" is once a again a too far-reaching summary judgement, though.

But yeah, at this point we're going in circles. I guess the thread's pretty much petered out now.

News Comments > Op Ed
316. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2014, 12:31 Sho

ASeven wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 12:30:
And one more video by MundaneMatt that discusses the trend of comparing gamers to nazis. Yeah, it's a real thing now.

Well, this very thread compared Sarkeesian to Hitler and Stalin. Fucking stupidity on both sides.

News Comments > Op Ed
312. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2014, 09:16 Sho

FWIW, I don't really feel condescension from Beamer. Some others whose contributions consist mainly of occassionally shouting "liar" and "hypocrite" and similar crazed/hysteric shout-them-down behavior are a lot more uncomfortable IMHO. At least Beamer gives you something to work with when you disagree with him; raging lunatics, not so much.  

News Comments > Op Ed
302. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 19:17 Sho

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 19:02:
You got post 300, so with luck that makes you feel much better.

I was making a joke because the thread was jokingly anticipating post 300 a few days ago.

News Comments > Op Ed
300. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 17:54 Sho

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 17:46:
Sho wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 13:59:
I gotta say, a lot of the stuff in comment threads related to Sarkeesian makes the site feel pretty unwelcoming.
Critiques and differing views of opinion = unwelcoming. Got it. After all, we wouldn't want people to have to face the world where one's opinions are subject to the same realities outside of their bubble now would we? Everyone's a special snow flake, and no matter how wrong their opinion is; we should respect it...and not discuss it. Especially if it's a women...amirite?

Seriously, you're going back to comment 39 of 298 and ignoring all the discussion that happened since, not to mention my longer explanation of that comment? You're just after that 300 in "Popular Threads", admit it. Well, glad to be of service!

News Comments > Op Ed
298. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 14:58 Sho

While I'm nerding around about this, Nicolas Ostler's Empires of the Word is a super-interesting read too: http://www.amazon.com/Empires-Word-Language-History-World/dp/0060935723

It concerns itself with examining world history through the lense of major (and some minor) languages spheres interacting/competing.

I've always wanted Civ to model this better!

News Comments > Op Ed
297. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 14:50 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 14:40:
Right, also because of a shared European heritage and culture. Asian culture developed along such a different path than western culture. And especially in the USA, where, IIRC we had so many German immigrants during the formative years of our country that we missed having German as the national language by just a few votes. Imagine how the world might be different today if that had been the case!

This is actually a myth (that Germans are very very fond of perpetuating, though ;)). I think the vote was actually just about requiring that all official government documents also be translated to German.

But as for how the world could be different, Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt is a really interesting alternate history novel thats starts off with the Black Plague wiping out much more of the European population, followed by the Chinese, Muslims and native Americans struggling for their place and standing in the world.

News Comments > Op Ed
295. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 14:36 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 14:18:
Due to their common roots, English should be pretty easy to pick up for a native German speaker and vice versa. I think I read it takes about 30 hours for an English speaker to get survival level German. The same level of Japanese (and by extension, it's sister language Korean) takes about 100 hours. The languages are just so different from European languages.

Sure, but survival level German (or English) is a far cry from achieving any sort of real eloquence, or even just maintaining a consistent writing style. Things like knowing what connotation a phrase carries, or what sounds aloof or distanced vs. warm or welcoming. To say nothing of contemporary slang. It goes beyond knowing the grammar and the morphemes - you need some level of cultural and historic awareness, too, and active exposure.

Getting to survival level Korean isn't actually that hard either. Once you wrap your head around the grammar (which is perhaps a little bit easier for Germans because we're used to S-O-V word order) slotting in words to form basic sentences starts feeling easy and fun. But then you hit a pleateau that requires a lot of time and effort to advance beyond - just navigating all the subtleties of the many different speech levels alone is pretty difficult. There don't seem to be any real shortcuts. It'll take years before I could usefully participate in a Korean version of this thread.

German-vs-English is easier not just because we share so many root forms, but also because there's a much higher-bandwidth cultural exchange going on. But it still takes years, too.

News Comments > Op Ed
287. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 09:00 Sho

Of course my stance has always been ... why go to Kotaku when there's Blue's News.  

News Comments > Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced
24. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 2, 2014, 08:28 Sho

Fletch wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 00:20:
AKA "Icewind Dale: Tiny Avatars and Text Edition".

IIRC BGEE added text scaling recently BTW.

News Comments > Op Ed
275. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 22:26 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 22:01:
Which is it?

Hmm I think this is a good translation:

"So eine (Frau) willst Du als Beispiel für gesunden Menschenverstand nennen?"

Note the diff between "eine Frau" und "diese Art Frau". You're specifying a gender in both, but because the latter allows for other types of women, the gender isn't central info - it's just because she happens to be a woman.

I.e. it's really a "the kind of person who ..." thing and the woman bit is just incidental. A German would write "so jemanden" then, but this is an odd case where colloquial English is more gendered than German (usually it's the other way around). If you actually wrote "This kind of person" in English it would actually have a more inflammatory timbre to it because it has moral overtones ("bad person"). He could have used "someone like that", but I guess it's just not his writing style.

I really don't think it was a play on gender.

Side note: I started studying Korean this year, and fuck, dat shit be humblin'. I didn't really fathom how much English I've assimilated over the years - starting cold on something new you realize the sheer quantity of information like this that goes into being able to express yourself in the way you intend to.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 22:35.

697 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo