Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 624 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Delayed?
40. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 15:33 Sho

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 11:27:
Your new around here aren't you? If Cutter was 'the most toxic presence on a forum' then I welcome you to the internet and suggest you enjoy your sheltered existence.

That it gets worse than Cutter isn't a good reason not to stand up to him. His posts generally contribute little, annoy, and make this place worse. I'm happy someone's still got the energy to get pissed off at that, tbh.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Carmack SMU Talk
9. Re: John Carmack SMU Talk Aug 2, 2014, 14:25 Sho

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 13:10:
That's really interesting since they basically bragged incessantly and non stop about mega textures. That's all they talked about for a year straight right before Rage was released.

I think the problem is that AAA video game production at this point is a fairly established process, and asset pipelines are set up around traditional texturing techniques. I doubt he's lamenting the technology choice, but more that the concept hasn't been adopted like he hoped it would because the industry is so set in its ways on this. Which OTOH is understandable - changing course is a risky endeavour.

News Comments > John Carmack SMU Talk
7. Re: John Carmack SMU Talk Aug 2, 2014, 12:37 Sho

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 19:08:
How wonderful that John could share his deep knowledge of computing to these students. I am sure that these students at SMU gained hour after hour of incredibly deep analysis including useful subjects including memory allocation and spatial realization, mathematical handling of video input using matrices and very importantly deep object orientated programming standard algorithms all the while wishing that they could expire from a massive explosive brain hemorrhage.

Dunno, sounds like a good time to me. Maybe you're just not his audience?

News Comments > Star Citizen Patched
8. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 13:38 Sho

Patch notes just after a big release are interesting to get an idea of what is/was broken.  

News Comments > Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Next Month
6. Re: Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Next Month May 30, 2014, 17:30 Sho

Agreed. One of the best games ever made.  

News Comments > Free Unreal Tournament Plans
34. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 18:00 Sho

ViRGE wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:33:
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But it's important to point out that the vast majority of work on both of those browsers is done by their respective host company. They're only trivially open to outside developers; the open source aspect largely amounts to the ability to pull down the code and do your own build, rather than contributing back to the master build.

Sort of. Mozilla does have a fair number of outside contributors, and much of the core codebase of Chromium (i.e. WebKit or rather the Blink derivative - or if you go further back, the KHTML and KJS libraries that we at KDE wrote originally with no host company at all, and that evolved into WebKit later on) does have significant contributing stakeholders outside of Google. Plus of course the in-house dev teams on both projects were to a significant degree recruited from what originally were external contributors.

25. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:15 Sho

I think a good comparison for those not used to open-style development is using Firefox or Chrome (Chrome isn't open per-se, but the Chromium project largely is, and Chrome is just a repackage of Chromium with some closed bits) along with the add-on marketplaces for those. Try to think of it more like this.

Trying to apply this model to an AAA game with involvement from a traditional game maker is a relatively new/rare thing and has no guarantee of success, but it's very interesting. Governance is what makes or breaks these projects/communities, and host companies are often inexperienced and unprepared for the challenge. But open-style has been around for a while now and there's more awareness and advice available, so it's gotten easier not to fuck up.

23. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:07 Sho

ViRGE wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:05:
Just to be clear here, is Epic actually devoting a development team to this? I.E. coders, artists, designers, etc?

The announcement refers to a "small team of UT veterans" seeding development, so as I understand it they do plan to have an Epic dev presence at the heart of the project. I'm curious to hear who's in that team that I still recognize from the good old UT99 days ...

21. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:04 Sho

This is exactly what I imagined from their hints, and I think it's brilliant and makes me really excited. UT has a shot at becoming the de-facto, perpetual, continously-evolving multiplayer game of its kind using this approach - the Linux kernel equivalent of competitive online shooters.

Then again I've been an open source software developer for the past decade, so I'm used to projects getting work done in this fashion.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution UE4 Video
20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution UE4 Video May 1, 2014, 17:40 Sho

DangerDog wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 17:10:
From what I've seen it's still "Unreal" so it's a good game engine for first/third person shooters, side scroller games, top down games, etc. I think it would require considerable retooling to be good at making a free to roam anywhere space sim game with it.

Not exactly "free to roam anywhere", but EVE Valkyrie is running on UE4 now.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Adds Support for SteamOS/Linux/Newest Consoles
2. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Adds Support for SteamOS/Linux/Newest Consoles Apr 24, 2014, 17:04 Sho

If they put out the demo on Linux as well today I'll be thrilled to the max.  

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
28. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 18, 2014, 04:52 Sho

Stormsinger wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 21:35:
Fixed that for you.

Which again is fine by me - I don't mind good people getting paid well. And with crowdfunding I get to make a decision about it. Works for me.

25. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 20:27 Sho

Zyrxil wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 18:44:
I don't think you understand how the world works. The people/companies doing Kickstarters are not broke hobos with 0 assets and an idea. They are people with jobs, and (hopefully) plenty of development experience. The broke hobos with an idea and nothing else are exactly the people you shouldn't be funding. Frontier Developments has 210 employees and plenty of published games on their resume. While not a huge AAA studio, it's safe to say they have some cash. They did the Kickstarter because they can't risk their survival by completely self funding a $1.5 million+ project with no guarantee of a return. People who live in nice homes and have employees depending on them not to fuck the company up don't do business that way.

This. I get really annoyed every time "but they have money, why did they go to Kickstarter?!" comes up in a thread. Kickstarter isn't (just) for beggers. From a business perspective you want your projects to be financially sound independent of context, and spread the risk instead of having to spend/gamble your own last penny every time. I don't want creators to have to live like that anyway. And as a frequent backer, as long as campaigns are upfront about how they intend to use the money so I can make an informed decision, I have no qualms about investing independently of what else they have going on financially if I like the pitch.

5. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 10:24 Sho

Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 09:42:
The name doesn't have that much cache. Wasting what? 8 million US to secure the rights to Elite instead of simply renaming it?

Aside from the fact that "Elite" does have massive cachet as a name, you can read in the text up there that they didn't just acquire Elite, and plan to make the money back by selling shares.

Braben is a very business-savvy guy, so I'm sure this wasn't done willy-nilly.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Broken Sword 5 The Serpent's Curse: Episode Two
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Broken Sword 5 The Serpent's Curse: Episode Two Apr 17, 2014, 05:26 Sho

While I haven't finished the game yet, these guys have really delivered in my book. It's the Kickstarter I'm happiest with in terms of that (over e.g. Broken Age and Shadowrun Returns). "10/10 would back again", basically.  

News Comments > Outcast Reboot HD Kickstarter
9. Re: Outcast Reboot HD Kickstarter Apr 9, 2014, 03:23 Sho

OH GOD, YES. TAKE MY MONIES.

Outcast: Still the best-realized virtual world I ever lived in. Still the game with the best musical score ever recorded.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released
9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:29 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:27:
Sho wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 20:31:
Yeah, Star Citizen can suck it for now - all the real actual gameplay ED keeps showing looks great.

Not sure it's an either/or proposition. Both look great, and I'm sure both teams are looking at each other's stuff and inspiring each other with design and competitive spirit.

I can't argue with that reasonable stance; I guess I didn't feel much like reason tonight :). I'm a backer of both, but currently somewhat oversatiated on Star Citizen and was basically armchair ranting.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released
2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 20:31 Sho

Yeah, Star Citizen can suck it for now - all the real actual gameplay ED keeps showing looks great.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2014, 18:33 Sho

I enjoyed Singularity quite a bit. It's one of the better SP shooters in recent memory, IMHO. And I didn't like Raven's take on Wolfenstein.  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys
4. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys Feb 22, 2014, 12:45 Sho

Is the quicksave system in now? (Just curious; I enjoyed the original campaign even without it.)  

624 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo