Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eike Hein

Real Name Eike Hein   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 473 (Amateur)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
25. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 13:31 Sho

Well, I actually meant the record in terms of hours-to-funding-goal, whatever the goal might be :). But I think they'll do pretty well on the day 1 total too ...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 13:25 Sho

I think that would set a new record actually - Double Fine Adventure needed 8 hours to reach their goal (which was just 400k).  

19. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 13:13 Sho

The more I read up on Numenera, the more excited I am about this. This is a lot cooler than a straight sequel. I just wonder if some backers won't be a bit ... surprised, if they didn't pay attention. There's a lot of SF aesthetic in there:

Concept Art
More Art
And Yet More

12. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 12:13 Sho

I think they made a convincing case in the pitch video re: starting this before delivering Wasteland 2. Rotating their concept artists and writers into a new project after concluding pre-production on Wasteland 2 makes sense to me. And that Wasteland 2 gameplay vid last month gave me enough reassurance that they're actually on track.  

5. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 11:59 Sho

I had serious doubts about pledging due to Kickstarter fatigue up until the campaign was launched (threw a considerable sum at Dreamfall last month, and backed similar games in PE and W2), but their pitch ultimately convinced me. The Numenera setting seems really interesting - it's basically scifi disguised as fantasy, and I'm not a big fantasy fan (which is why I loved PS:T, it was different) - and what they shared of the story so far actually has me wanting to know where it leads, which is different from a lot of RPGs where the Big Bad Evil is just exchangeable and it's more about about the hour-to-hour experience.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
4. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 6, 2013, 05:07 Sho

For me, using the latest WHQL drivers, the tesselation and the TressFX hair are the two big framerate killers that lower the average FPS to below acceptable, both individually and of course in concert. That's at 1920x1200 on a 660 Ti and a 3.8 Ghz (with turbo) Ivy Bridge Xeon quad with everything else on Ultra.

But:

a) The TressFX hair looks bad anyway because the collision mesh for it is badly implemented; Lara's hair strands flow like a liquid over an invisible shell 10cm above her shoulders. The normal hair properly does collision against the actual surface of her model.

b) I couldn't help but feel that the tessellation made some things look less defined / fatter, as if the control cages (assuming it works a little like subdiv modeling) guiding it weren't set up too carefully.

... so I don't really feel like I'm missing out having those two options off. And with them off, I get about 50 fps avg which is perfectly alright. It's a good PC port in my book, both graphically and in terms of handling. Nixxes did well again.

Edit: I had to disable "Exclusive fullscreen" from the launcher BTW, or I get a fatal Direct3D initialization error at startup. I think it might be related to having a multi-head setup.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Steam Preloads
4. Re: Tomb Raider Steam Preloads Mar 2, 2013, 08:08 Sho

Traversal is a big reason I enjoyed the TR games so far (and others, like Starsiege: Tribes and Mirror's Edge), so I'm with you there.

Also, another important part to TR in my book is that sense of loneliness and serenity that came from making combat encounters sparse and going for mostly non-human opponents.

So yeah, it's pretty obvious by this point that the game probably won't really deliver on those two points. But you know, that's OK. Chalk it up to my progressing age or so, but I'm relaxed about this - I've had those experiences, they can't take them away, and I'm open to a different take. I enjoy a good action game too, after all. And they do seem to have done a good job supporting this combat-filled trial-by-fire scenario with decent writing motivating the action.

I have quite a bit of trust in the people involved, they've made a bunch of good Tomb Raiders, and they seem to genuinely want to make meaningful experiences (I've been following the development quite closely, being a fan of the franchise and all), so I wouldn't put it beyond them to reintroduce some of those other elements in future installments after they got Lara on her path in this one.

And hey, if they don't I guess I can just bitch then if I feel like it.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Steam Preloads
2. Re: Tomb Raider Steam Preloads Mar 2, 2013, 04:27 Sho

From what I hear, the puzzles that _are_ in there are quite fun though - solid, often physics-based stuff. I mean, let's be honest, the puzzles in the old games - which I love dearly, I rank TR1 and TR2 among my favorite games - weren't exactly stellar affairs most of the time, but just simple find-item-and-insert-somewhere and figure-out-what-the-lever-does affairs. It's not actually that easy to make a case that the new game is taking away anything essential/valuable on that front.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Brutal Legend
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Brutal Legend Feb 27, 2013, 02:04 Sho

Thanks, but I actually watched that as a refresher a few days back already, and while I'm sure Yahtzee's got some good points there, I still walked away fairly open to the game (and I guess prepared for its flaws). I'm sort of OK with RTS light, a little arcade driving and all of that drenched in the theme ... but still wanting to know whether the PC implementation is any good.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Brutal Legend
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Brutal Legend Feb 26, 2013, 23:08 Sho

I'm in the same boat. Interested, but wanting to hear some reviews first.  

News Comments > AMD's Hair-Raising Tech
24. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 17:35 Sho

So basically you're saying we can all stop shaving now because nude modders can finally go to town on adding pubic hair, so reality and mods remain in sync?  

News Comments > Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website
6. Re: Torment Sequel Gets New Name, Website Feb 22, 2013, 11:32 Sho

Phew, to be honest, I'm hoping they'll wait a while with starting the campaign. I loved PS:T and want to back this, but between having pledged for two somewhat similar games already (Wasteland 2, Project Eternity) and throwing a rather high sum at Dreamfall Chapters I got a spell of Kickstarter fatigue right about now. If this started tomorrow, I'm not sure I'd put in very much. And I'd rather be clamoring for this.

Maybe there's a sort of Kickstarter refractory period. Give me some time to get it back up again, inXile!

News Comments > Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs
1. Re: Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs Feb 22, 2013, 09:47 Sho

The PC port is being done by Nixxes, who IMHO did a good job on their PC port of DX:HR. And DX:HR used Crystal's Tomb Raider: Legend/Underworld engine, the evolution of which is powering this game as well, so they've been familiar with the technology for a while now. Bodes pretty well for a solid PC outing I think, unless the game design really interferes in some way.

Still pissed the two Tomb Raider: Underworld single-player DLCs never made it to PC,
Sho

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced
5. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 11:50 Sho

Color me surprised, I had sort of expected accusations of milking it by going the way of a sequel.

(Personally I don't care, if it's fairly priced expansion vs. standalone title makes no real diff.)

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie Details
19. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 11:36 Sho

What I really liked about Strange Days was the magnificent cold open introducing the central conceit and how the characters all just take the tech for granted, if you had that film made today they'd play up the gimmick factor to no end, but SD actually made it feel like a credible part of the film's world ... and then there was all this turn of the millennium angst in it of society collapsing in on it self, also very cyberpunky ...  

11. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:33 Sho

The obvious Blade Runner aside, I think one of the best cyberpunk movies was actually Strange Days ...  

6. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:07 Sho

Wait, this is the guy who did the awful TDtESS remake? Okay, there go all my hopes ...  

3. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:02 Sho

Frankly, this sounds like a good approach. I'd like a movie that nails the vibe and the themes, but otherwise is just a strong standalone story, not something that milks the games by way of "oh, I see what you did there!" references. I'm so tired of nostalgia exploitation bullshit. Fuck being faithful, make it your own and just give us a good movie. Storytelling first, franchise second.  

News Comments > New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers
18. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 08:28 Sho

Aye, sorry - I actually scanned the article text, but for whatever reason didn't check the graphs for a key. *facepalm*  

News Comments > New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers
16. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 06:24 Sho

Eh, for stuff like Civ 5 and DXHR these sound suspiciously like the same improvement numbers they spouted for the last driver release as well. Anyone know what they're using as baseline? I'm guessing it's "driver we shipped the GPU with originally", not "last driver release" ...  

473 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo