Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 660 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
287. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 09:00 Sho

Of course my stance has always been ... why go to Kotaku when there's Blue's News.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced
24. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 2, 2014, 08:28 Sho

Fletch wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 00:20:
AKA "Icewind Dale: Tiny Avatars and Text Edition".

IIRC BGEE added text scaling recently BTW.

News Comments > Op Ed
275. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 22:26 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 22:01:
Which is it?

Hmm I think this is a good translation:

"So eine (Frau) willst Du als Beispiel für gesunden Menschenverstand nennen?"

Note the diff between "eine Frau" und "diese Art Frau". You're specifying a gender in both, but because the latter allows for other types of women, the gender isn't central info - it's just because she happens to be a woman.

I.e. it's really a "the kind of person who ..." thing and the woman bit is just incidental. A German would write "so jemanden" then, but this is an odd case where colloquial English is more gendered than German (usually it's the other way around). If you actually wrote "This kind of person" in English it would actually have a more inflammatory timbre to it because it has moral overtones ("bad person"). He could have used "someone like that", but I guess it's just not his writing style.

I really don't think it was a play on gender.

Side note: I started studying Korean this year, and fuck, dat shit be humblin'. I didn't really fathom how much English I've assimilated over the years - starting cold on something new you realize the sheer quantity of information like this that goes into being able to express yourself in the way you intend to.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 22:35.

News Comments > Op Ed
272. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 20:53 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 20:18:
You are portraying her as something to make your point, and in doing that you use her sex and work against the opinions she shared on twitter (you yourself said "This is a women you want to cite for common sense?" in order to counter OUR argument.

I realize this is probably going to earn me a "you and Beamer are in cahoots" again, but I really think you just misread the sex/gender part. Writing "This is a (wo)man)" is just a common figure of speech in English and not meant to call out the person's gender. It's just a gender-fitted version of "This is a person". If you wanted to highlight the gender, you'd phrase it "Do you really want to trust a woman on this?" or similar. I mean, come on, if Beamer were guilty of everything he gets accused of in this thread, that would be one epic fuckup since it doesn't fit his supposed agenda in any way.

(I realize the fun factor of the two German guys in the thread debating the finer points of the English tongue.)

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 21:01.

News Comments > Op Ed
262. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 15:32 Sho

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 15:27:
I do know. And he knows I see right through his borrowed act. As time go on more and more are seeing through it, too.

Alright. I'm just saying that I'd have a far easier time seeing it if you provided more context.

19. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 1, 2014, 15:07 Sho

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 11:21:
Since we have been bombarded with TB games and many HQ one's to come, let alone many of these have been played on the PC already. I find taking these EE version to tablets/phones the most brilliant place to now play them. As we await BG2EE for mobile, BGEE has been great and any and all of these EE's to me find a new special place in mobile. Oh yeah and it's 1/2 the price.

Do you have any tips for effective mobile use? I tried BGEE on an Android tablet and it became a nuisance pretty quickly with no mouse-based edge-scrolling. Adventures work great on these, but most other genres feel like work quickly ...

News Comments > Op Ed
258. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 14:58 Sho

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 14:09:
And now predictably dishonest Beamer is using the same tactics as US Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Democrat-Nevada) by deflecting to the Koch brothers again. He is like the parody of liberalism except this is how they really are. Dishonest. Always deflecting. Liars. Hypocrites. They cannot stay on topic because it exposes them as the frauds they are.

Didn't you just "deflect to Harry Reid", though? What's the difference? Aside from more emotionally-charged invectives?

Can we maybe stop arguing by namedropping in general? Not everyone here is US American. We don't know these folks. Gaming is international.

And what's with all this slander about lying? Can you explain where the lie is, exactly? I don't get it. Do you understand the difference between an argument and an assertion?

Folks, I thought American high schools specifically teach debating? (Which I always thought was really cool and sorely lacking here.) Or is that a myth from film/TV?

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2014, 15:11.

11. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Aug 31, 2014, 18:52 Sho

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 18:48:
Problem is I *still* remember these games backwards and forwards. And while they were great I have no desire to go back to them. Why don't they pony up some more dough and make some new CPRGs ala PE, W2, DoS, Shadowrun, et al? I'd be far more interested in that then these old games being updated a bit.

Either that or update some friggin games that would really benefit from it, like Outlaws in the UE4 engine or something.

I'm not big on replaying games either, I think there's maybe 10-12 games in the last 18 years I've played more than once. But some are like favorite books, I'll wind up replaying them every four years or so and discover something new.

Especially with games with good storytelling or strong themes. For example the experience of playing Deus Ex in 2000 when I was 16 and in 2005 and 2010 were pretty different. I picked up on more references, I thought about the characters in new ways, I was more critical about stuff, etc.

I'd say PST is in that category. I'm sure that's a game I'll play again at some point.

News Comments > Op Ed
238. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 18:42 Sho

I agree that this is a specific case where Sarkeesian's approach breaks down, and where games are different from film. When discussing film it's OK to sometimes exclusively focus on women's (or men's) issues because there's no instancing and no mechanical symmetry. But in games, things like gruesome death animations for female NPCs often exist because they tick a box - we have male NPCs, we have female NPCs, the mechanics allow both to be killed, we need death animations for both. That doesn't mean the violence (or cookie-cutter NPCs) can't be a problem, but to understand the mechanics behind how and why these things land in games you do need to examine how games and game development function systemically. Focusing on just female depiction then isn't enough to advance the dialog.

OTOH, while my experiences as a gamer allow me to pinpoint some examples Sarkeesian gets wrong, like this one, I also think she gets some other examples right.

8. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Aug 31, 2014, 18:16 Sho

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 18:12:
Planescape:Torment has been effectively modernized for Windows 7 (and other OSes) so there's not much to be gained in that aspect of an 'EE' version.

By who, when, and what did it involve? Did I miss anything?

I'm aware of the widescreen patch, the content-renabling patches and the bugfix patches, of course. And sure, PST is fun to play that way. But "BGEE is just a roundup of mods" isn't really true anymore - they've done quite a bit of work modernizing the engine/renderer, improving the scaling behavior, fixing more bugs and tweaking the gameplay. Just look at the kilometer-long patch changelogs.

I was really disappointed with BGEE at launch (you can go back in my posting history and see me rant about it, even), but I gotta admit they shaped up later.

No doubt a game as complex as PST could be refined further in a similar way.

News Comments > Op Ed
234. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 17:11 Sho

ASeven wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 17:01:
Christina H. Sommers @CHSommers · 22h
Is it true that game journalists challenged bad research linking video games to violence,but caved to feminist "studies" linking to sexism?

While I find the style a bit too inflammatory, I can see myself answering "yes" here, for example. If it hasn't been clear, my main position on all of this is to advocate independent, critical thought, and anti-groupthink. So I heavily dislike it when articles cite studies without any mention of things like their sample size or methodology - or, worst of all, without even providing a source link. I would tend to agree journalists have been more willing to critically examine and contrast studies in the violence debate than in the sexism debate, which is serving science poorly. I'd like more journalists to actually go hunt for good data than just post personal op-eds.

(Thanks for following up on my request, BTW.)

News Comments > Op Ed
230. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 16:05 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 15:25:
Given her bio, I wouldn't expect anything different. :)

See, this highlights the problem: Because we were given her conclusion, but not her analysis or arguments, we're left with discussing her bio, and it's not leading to anything constructive. This is why people really need to stop posting only assertions/conclusions. And ignore those who do.

News Comments > Op Ed
225. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 15:25 Sho

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 15:04:
The argument is lost and you stand alongside him.

This is just more divisive kiddie bullshit. Problems get solved by working together in discourse. Grow up.

News Comments > Op Ed
221. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 14:59 Sho

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 14:54:
You're either not familiar with Beamer's shit or you are covering for him. Which is it?

It's neither. Please just take me at face value: That kind of style isn't up to snuff. If Beamer is full of shit, the best thing you can do is critique him properly. Name-calling is just noise. It even plays into his hands by making you look immature.

NB: I've disagreed with Beamer several times throughout this thread (though I'm guessing not in the way you'd like me to). Heck, I even defended ASeven at one point.

News Comments > Op Ed
218. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 14:48 Sho

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 14:43:
Keep on spinning, Beamer. You hypocrite.

Please get out, or control your emotions. This sort of stuff is beneath this community. If you disagree with someone, articulate your criticism properly.

1. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Aug 31, 2014, 14:37 Sho

I was hoping for a Planescape: Torment EE in anticipation of Tides. While the BGEE stuff was lackluster at launch they've put in quite a lot of effort since, and replaying PST with that treatment is something I'd go for. Icewind Dale not so much.  

News Comments > Op Ed
215. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 14:20 Sho

ASeven wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 14:18:
Doesn't make what she said on this matter any less valid.

Has she said anything on this matter beyond the conclusion you linked, though? Like, some analysis? More context, please.

News Comments > Op Ed
213. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 14:16 Sho

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 14:11:
Beamer and Sho. Do you guys know where I can buy a fedora?

Whoa, you really put us in our place there.

News Comments > Op Ed
211. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 13:51 Sho

Twitter is a dumb medium for this (well for most things). A single tweet that claims "something is clear" is just another empty statement lacking substantiation. Retweeting it (whether on Twitter or here) contributes nothing to the conversation except for doing a name drop. It's just noise and we already have enough noise.  

News Comments > Op Ed
201. Re: Op Ed Aug 30, 2014, 19:38 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 19:29:
It's interesting, while I've never been able to get GFs/wife to play any FPSs, they have all loved Diablo (well, 1 & 2) which is pretty violent. Maybe it's the loot? Also, I've heard lots of women enjoy playing The Walking Dead, which (although I have yet to play) I understand has violence as part of a larger narrative. So maybe it's okay for a lot of women as long as it's contextualized?

The Walking Dead is actually one of the most violent games I can readily think of, because a lot of its more violent moments are made a point of and they happen directly at the hand of the player character. Few games have went to such lengths to point out to me I'm currently bashing someone's head in or hacking their limbs off. But the violence is also usually integral to the story, with the aftermath of violence often getting into themes about responsibility, do-ends-justify-means, revenge, etc. (But not in a ham-fisted, black-and-white way, either. It's well-written, plus multiple-choice dialogs allow player expression.)

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2014, 19:45.

660 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo