Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 589 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Outcast Reboot HD Kickstarter
9. Re: Outcast Reboot HD Kickstarter Apr 9, 2014, 03:23 Sho

OH GOD, YES. TAKE MY MONIES.

Outcast: Still the best-realized virtual world I ever lived in. Still the game with the best musical score ever recorded.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released
9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 21:29 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:27:
Sho wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 20:31:
Yeah, Star Citizen can suck it for now - all the real actual gameplay ED keeps showing looks great.

Not sure it's an either/or proposition. Both look great, and I'm sure both teams are looking at each other's stuff and inspiring each other with design and competitive spirit.

I can't argue with that reasonable stance; I guess I didn't feel much like reason tonight :). I'm a backer of both, but currently somewhat oversatiated on Star Citizen and was basically armchair ranting.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released
2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 20:31 Sho

Yeah, Star Citizen can suck it for now - all the real actual gameplay ED keeps showing looks great.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2014, 18:33 Sho

I enjoyed Singularity quite a bit. It's one of the better SP shooters in recent memory, IMHO. And I didn't like Raven's take on Wolfenstein.  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys
4. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys Feb 22, 2014, 12:45 Sho

Is the quicksave system in now? (Just curious; I enjoyed the original campaign even without it.)  

News Comments > The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Announced
1. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Announced Feb 11, 2014, 10:30 Sho

No link to the actual campaign? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2  

News Comments > Dreamfall Chapters Trailer and Walkthrough
7. Re: Dreamfall Chapters Trailer and Walkthrough Jan 9, 2014, 19:49 Sho

Most of the dev team members have worked on the previous two games. The most relevant new addition is Martin who's the lead gameplay designer and hasn't worked on the series before (but is ex-Funcom too).  

5. Re: Dreamfall Chapters Trailer and Walkthrough Jan 9, 2014, 16:32 Sho

They did point out during the con that this was early in the game and partly meant to tutorialize, but I doubt they'll really have difficult puzzles in there overall.  

3. Re: Dreamfall Chapters Trailer and Walkthrough Jan 9, 2014, 12:40 Sho

I didn't get that impression at the convention, actually. They talked quite a bit about their creative process, and the care they must take in designing the decision trees that play out throughout the game, because they want to include a lot of both small and big decisions that have ramifications later in the plot. And they're not talking like "Kaidan vs. Ashley"-type decisions, but also want to do more subtle things. So I'm expecting something cohesive rather than segmented personally.

Note hat the "Chapters" title doesn't refer to anything episodic or so. AFAIK they have no plans for add-ons; Chapters is supposed to conclude the Zoe story / Dreamer cycle. And the next game after Dreamfall would be The Longest Journey Home which is centered on April again.

1. Re: Dreamfall Chapters Trailer and Walkthrough Jan 9, 2014, 10:23 Sho

Note that the footage in this teaser is really, really, really old by now, it's all still stuff made by/during the time of the KS campaign. They've advanced tremendously since (I attended JourneyCon in Oslo this past November where they showed off the Friar's Keep demo and some more Metropolis and other bits and pieces and it all looked really spiffy despite the pre-alpha stage).  

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 15:01 Sho

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 14:56:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 10:38:
Who actually reads and takes the NYTimes seriously? Oh yeah, liberals.

A NYT editorial once said something I disagree with, therefore the whole newspaper is just liberal propaganda. I know because Fox told me so!

But think of all the time he saves reading and thinking by just being prejudiced instead.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2013, 06:23 Sho

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 00:38:
I don't understand the writer's contention. Does he want an adventure game or a shooter? Or has this guy never played the originals, or games like Half-Life? What exactly does he want? Sometimes I want story and depth. Other times I just want to blow some shit up.

Dunno ... I mean I don't think story and depth and violence are at odds at all. You can tell many deep stories about violence. And yeah, you can even use casual violence to make a story point.

My personal beef with Infinite isn't that the violence made me feel uncomfortable, but rather that it left me indifferent to what was going on, and it's interesting to think about why. It might totally be as easy as "not my taste", tho.

I mean, maybe it's just that as games become a more credible art form, they need the freedom not to speak to everyone. There's plenty of technically great music I don't care for, too. Clearly a lot of people got a lot out of Infinite. I didn't. That's ok, I'm willing to take a chance when I pick up a game.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2013, 21:24 Sho

nin wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 19:28:
Will you be that someone? :)

I would't feed the troll, no. I do generally think it's worth speaking up at least once when someone posts stuff that's beneath the venue, though ... but like I said, it kinda felt like satire most likely. That someone past age 12 would derive their manhood from playing shooter games seems a little far-fetched.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2013, 19:00 Sho

[VG]Reagle wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 18:54:
The author is a whinney cry baby who needs to log onto facebook instead of playing a first person shooter.

"it was difficult for me to care about any of it" PULL THE TAMPON OUT DUDE WTH.....

WE LIKE OUR guns how and the lead flying. We like to kill. Stories and that other crap is no match for bodies hitting the floor. PILE THEM UP IN THE DOORWAYS. KILLL THEM ALLL.

Your review sucks and the problem with BS2 was that there was not enough killing. You need to go see a doctor about the rest of the gender reassignment...

What's sad about this post is that I'm not certain it's satire. I'd like to think it is, I think there's a good chance, some tells are there, but ... a lot of gamers really are this stupid and sexist :(.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2013, 13:20 Sho

I disliked pretty much everything about Infinite. The cotton candy aesthetics didn't do anything for me (I respect the confidence and execution, and it was certainly different, I just didn't find it interesting or appealing), the plot, well, felt much like eating cotton candy as well, and nothing about the experience felt weighty in any way. Enemies, looting, stuff - there was so much overabundance of everything I just became indifferent to it all.  

News Comments > J.U.L.I.A.: Enhanced Edition Evolves into J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars
2. Re: J.U.L.I.A.: Enhanced Edition Evolves into J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars Dec 18, 2013, 20:47 Sho

On the other hand, I'm sorta happy I didn't play & get spoiled by the original game since I'm very much looking forward to the revamped version after "meeting" the developers through various videos and interviews about it. These peeps got passion for what they're doing, it's nice to see.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Broken Sword 5 The Serpent's Curse: Episode One
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Broken Sword 5 The Serpent's Curse: Episode One Dec 5, 2013, 03:20 Sho

I backed it and played the beta they released to backers recently, and loved it. It still had some beta roughness (audio volume levels were uneven, for example), but the writing and gameplay were spot-on Broken Sword, just what I threw money at the screen for. My only disappointment right now is that even though they did the art at 4k resolution they're only launching with 720p, with a 1080p download option hopefully before the year is out. Since my monitor does 1920x1200 and their art is gorgeous I'm resolved to wait for that which rains on my parade a bit.  

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2013, 04:43 Sho

ASeven wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 04:36:
Again, how does this help the real problems of women getting killed, abused, hurt for being women? It does not, in any way. In fact it detracts from it by painting a picture of feminism being about first-world problems, which videogames tropes absolutely is.

Want to help women? Ingress on Amnesty International and start doing your bit, like I do. These first world problems and the fact Sarkeesian has been caught lying, which makes me amazed at how people still defend this liar, help in no way making the world a better place for women. It only makes you feel better because you think you might be helping some cause. You aren't helping anything.

I'm sorry, but I don't think your argument holds much water. Do you also enter every thread on this site and argue that it's not OK to, say, discuss bugs in games while kids are starving in Africa? We're failing that standard already, not just about women's issues.

Yes, women get killed, abused and hurt for being women. That's bad. Like many other bad things in the world. They should all be discussed. That doesn't mean it's not OK to also discuss female representation in video games, however, as well as any other aspect of our culture. "Let's solve X first and only then move on to Y" is too simplistic in practice. X and Y may be connected indirectly, people may not have the strength to deal with X from sunrise to sunset without a little Y in their lives as well, Y may be part of the goal we want to solve X for everyone for, and so on.

I'm not claiming Sarkeesian is saving the world or women. I'm saying she's pointing out a few interesting things about video games that deserve discussion. Because, you know, discussing video games is kinda why we're here ... so yeah, "we're not allowed to talk about women in video games while women have other problems", can't agree with that, sorry.

As for your accusation that I'm arguing this because it "makes me feel better because I think I might be helping some cause", I disagree, and I'd like to point out the comment you replied to actually specified my motivation and interest in the matter. You're free to believe otherwise, of course, but I'm willing to bet that a dispassionate observer of this exchange is going to arrive at different conclusions.

As for the "Sarkeesian has been caught lying" thing: I actually don't know anything about that. If it's true then it's certainly a relevant fact about her person, though I'm not sure how relevant it is with regard to her videos. I watch her videos because I'm interested in the arguments they put forward, which I can then form my own opinion on and do my own research on -- let's say I'm fairly confident in my ability to do that. You're welcome to provide additional information on this if you feel it's relevant to the discourse, though. I'll have a look.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2013, 05:00.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2013, 03:56 Sho

ASeven wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 03:46:
(Nobody can convince me, for example, that making the role of women better in videogames will make the lives of women better anywhere)

I like games. I think my life is more enjoyable for the time I spend gaming - largely, anyway. I think it'd be nice if more women could say the same, and I think making interesting female characters more widespread in games might help with that. It also happens to be a win-win scenario for me: As a man, I like stories featuring interesting women, and right now, they're fairly rare. I also like spending time with women, so it'd be nice if there were more female gamers.

None of that means Sarkeesian has all the answers or a patent recipe for how to make all women happy - women are diverse, after all, and Sarkeesian also has plenty of female critics. But as a stepping stone for further debate I still think her videos have purpose.

Now, it's true that her tone is a bit antagonistic, and I agree she might serve that purpose better if it weren't. But you know, I visit gaming sites - can't say I'm not used to looking past hot temper.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2013, 04:07.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2013, 11:23 Sho

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 11:21:
Do many executives have math majors or... business degrees

Was... my... point...

Heh ... ok, I'll give you that one.

589 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo