Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 490 (Amateur)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
10. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 15:24 Sho

Ok, let me clarify: I believe they should have publicized the details of their licensing agreement with Microsoft with regard to what it allows them to do and what it doesn't. I'm getting the impression that they did not do that, which feels rather cagey to me.

You don't think that's relevant info for a potential investor? Kickstarter isn't a shop. It's a funding round. Investors have broader stakes than getting a pre-defined set of goods.

Edit: Posting overlapped with your edit covering the timeline.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
6. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 14:33 Sho

I really liked what I saw in the gameplay vid, but this is something they should have clarified during the pitch stage. Did they?  

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 21:05 Sho

The other thing I don't get is, why is criticism of sexism supposed to be only valid if it's motivated by selflessness, and automatically invalid if the desired outcome serves the critic in some way? Like I said in the earlier comment, a major reason it annoys me that the industry keeps turning women away is because I feel my own experiences with the hobby would be improved if there were more women considering gaming as leisure activity, because it's been true in all other areas of life. Gaming is often social, be that the actual playing of them or discussing them, and it's boring to only have male minds around much of the time (and so is the disproportionate amount of games that deal exclusively in male viewpoints; it's interesting to get exposed to other stuff too, and games, being interactive, can do it like no other thing). And I think that's a perfectly fine reason, even if completely selfish, to complain when folks like Sony create environments hostile to women. And that's just about having the empathy to conceive that with shit like that gaming might not stack up very attractively vs. all the other things one can chose to spend one's precious time on.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2013, 21:15.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 19:42 Sho

Dunno, I keep seeing stuff like Sony's PSP Vita ad likening the device to a four-breasted woman which can only serve to remind women that the device was conceived without their consideration in mind. And that's far worse than any single game purposely limiting its audience because it's an entire platform and affects anyone developing for it. Of course women are capable of shrugging off an ad like that, but why would they bother? Gaming is a leisure activity, and there's plenty of those to chose from which are equally fun and valid; if a social scene and/or market was constantly and actively messaging me that it doesn't care about me I wouldn't exactly feel compelled or have the energy to go up against that, or feel it deserved my attention, either. It doesn't surprise me that it's not worth the asking price for a lot of women right now.

And as a man I think that's a shame, because I enjoy socializing and sharing my hobbies with men and women alike, because individuals of both genders have a lot to offer, and unique perspectives shaped by their different experiences in life.

As long as there are bullshit artificial impediments against that like that ad I'd say more power to the people who point at it. And if it makes them feel good about themselves I can totally live with that.

News Comments > Moebius Trailer; Demo in June
2. Re: Moebius Trailer; Demo in June Apr 2, 2013, 08:32 Sho

Wish I could still slacker-back.

Edit: Wee, I can: http://pinkertonroad.com/join-csg/

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2013, 08:38.

News Comments > April F-f-f-foolin' 2013, Part 2 - Punked by Square Enix Edition
16. Re: April F-f-f-foolin', Part 2 - Punked by Square Enix Edition Apr 1, 2013, 15:10 Sho

Yeah, me too. They wouldn't have these people doing Deus Ex-themed AF jokes if they weren't still working on DE stuff.  

News Comments > April F-f-f-foolin' 2013, Part 2 - Punked by Square Enix Edition
13. Re: April F-f-f-foolin', Part 2 - Punked by Square Enix Edition Apr 1, 2013, 14:51 Sho

But if you're craving more it's because the last serving was good, so wouldn't you rather laugh with the cooks than be pissed at them? That's kind of the point, I care about Deus Ex myself, and the people who made this gag seem like they care too, so it's all good ... I might be more pissed off at the lack of competence if I didn't have so much goodwill toward them, but even then it's just an April's Fools.  

9. Re: April F-f-f-foolin', Part 2 - Punked by Square Enix Edition Apr 1, 2013, 14:40 Sho

Rhino wrote on Apr 1, 2013, 14:36:
It has nothing to do with "entitled". Nobody here claims to be entitled, acts entitled, and this is nothing more than you tossing out the word for no other reason than you feel differently.

I'll admit it's a hypothetical since I missed out on the premature tease, but I'd like to think that I'd still have rolled with it and tried to get some entertainment out of the devs of one of the best games of the last few years poking fun at themselves. Makes my day better than being pissed off at an imperfectly deployed friggin' April's Fools gag. It's that contrast in attitude that has me puzzled.

5. Re: April F-f-f-foolin', Part 2 - Punked by Square Enix Edition Apr 1, 2013, 14:07 Sho

Geez, people feel entitled enough to bitch about an April's Fools not living up to their expectations now?

I came in cold and thought it was pretty well-done. Heck, I'd play it ...

News Comments > Tomb Raider Patched
15. Re: Tomb Raider Patched Mar 11, 2013, 13:32 Sho

I'm playing it on a 660 Ti with WHQL drivers and have had no technical issues, aside from a Direct3D initialization error when Exclusive Fullscreen is checked (which I don't care about). Not a single crash here.

Edit: To be clear: Still have to apply the patch.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 13:38.

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
12. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:38 Sho

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:37:
This gets better and better, like a joke that never ceases to be funny despite how long it gets told.

It's definitely hilarious how this launch seems like it was made for proving the critics right ...

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
8. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:32 Sho

Redmask wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:28:
God forbid they give the refunds they said they would or stop selling the game though. Here's your token effort community, we stopped advertising it for a week, now shut up!

Halting advertising for a week directly after launch is a huge deal. This is hurting them immensely in lost sales. It's the sort of stuff that stops money people from sleeping at night -- you can be sure EA is in emergency mode right now. This may even be unprecedented.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
50. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:20 Sho

Not going to back this. The pitch video set off all sorts of red flags for me: Talking about realtime graphics while showing a prerendered cutscene (not talking about his game, but still, that sort of handwavy, careless stuff rubs me the wrong way), lots of buzzword bingo, "we're already making swag for you to buy later", skirting around addressing important facts like the exact format of multiplayer, etc. The video just made me mistrust him and gave me the feeling that I'd have no idea what I'd be putting my money on the line for.

I'm basically sad this is going to meet its funding goal. OK, I guess it's fine for folks to take a gamble, but OTOH I also think we should be really tough on asking Kickstarter pitchers hard questions. They want our money after all.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 16:25.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
37. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:20 Sho

The book that's being made as the result of the Numenera KS is a reward in some of the Torment tiers BTW.  

35. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:10 Sho

Although it's worth pointing out that the reasons behind that contrast goes deeper than "publishers are solely manned by evil dicks". Rather, in the traditional publisher model, games are funded _at risk_, which e.g. does reasonably make piracy a factor that you need to consider in your calculation, because you need to make your money back post-release to break even. Even ignoring the desire to maximize profits (which is a pressure acting on publishers stemming from shareholders etc.) that alone creates an incentive to try to eliminate piracy e.g. by moving parts of the game server-side.

Kickstarter improves on this not so much because it cuts out a layer of evil dicks, but on a conceptual level - unless pitchers lie about their funding goal, getting funded before production even starts eliminates risk and removes an incentive to care about piracy.

The risk is when pitchers try to have their cake and eat it too, i.e. set the funding goal too low in the expectation of post-release profits. That's why we (the potential backers) have to remain vigilant and ask hard questions of pitchers. We have to educate ourselves more about how game budgets really work (e.g. by paying attention to which of these projects fail).

29. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 11:54 Sho

What's the EA fuckup got to do with Torment?  

16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:51 Sho

Right, but I think there can be a middle-ground there where you don't do full-on documentary crew but still produce nice video updates, like the Project Eternity folks are doing, or some of the lower-fi DFA side-videos (like Schafer playing his old games on ScummVM and sharing design lessons and anecdotes). Sure though, it still eats time.

I'm just saying that I've found that a big part of the reason I'm motivated to back KS games again and again is that I find I really enjoy following the projects after I back them. If a pitch includes some reassurance / feeds the expectation that I'm going to get that out of a pledge, I'm more likely to back.

And you can factor that into the reward tiering to absorb the costs. For example, on Broken Sword you only get access to their "code jam" live streams with the team if you peldge a certain amount.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 09:56.

13. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:46 Sho

FTL is really super-fun and addicting, but it suffers from success in the game being pretty luck-dependent, and many players eventually get frustrated at the lack of difference their skills make. But the moment-to-moment gameplay is really awesome, it's the kind of game that produces these nail-biting life-and-death situations that end up being stories you tell your friends when you manage to turn them around and survive ... for the price it's being sold at it's worth picking up.  

10. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:42 Sho

I forgot the actual date, but iirc in the next-to-last episode of the documentary they covered delaying DFA and I vaguely remember concluding that it pushed the date past the September launch of Serpent's Curse ... but I'm shaky on these details.  

8. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:39 Sho

FTL is an example of a KS breakout success that's already been released, but I'm guessing you mean big KS games. I think the first one to release is Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse in September (which was a no-brainer for me, big adventure fan and fan of the series, and these guys know what they're doing).  

490 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo