Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 481 (Amateur)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tomb Raider Patched
15. Re: Tomb Raider Patched Mar 11, 2013, 13:32 Sho

I'm playing it on a 660 Ti with WHQL drivers and have had no technical issues, aside from a Direct3D initialization error when Exclusive Fullscreen is checked (which I don't care about). Not a single crash here.

Edit: To be clear: Still have to apply the patch.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 13:38.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
12. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:38 Sho

ASeven wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:37:
This gets better and better, like a joke that never ceases to be funny despite how long it gets told.

It's definitely hilarious how this launch seems like it was made for proving the critics right ...

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
8. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 16:32 Sho

Redmask wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:28:
God forbid they give the refunds they said they would or stop selling the game though. Here's your token effort community, we stopped advertising it for a week, now shut up!

Halting advertising for a week directly after launch is a huge deal. This is hurting them immensely in lost sales. It's the sort of stuff that stops money people from sleeping at night -- you can be sure EA is in emergency mode right now. This may even be unprecedented.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
50. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 16:20 Sho

Not going to back this. The pitch video set off all sorts of red flags for me: Talking about realtime graphics while showing a prerendered cutscene (not talking about his game, but still, that sort of handwavy, careless stuff rubs me the wrong way), lots of buzzword bingo, "we're already making swag for you to buy later", skirting around addressing important facts like the exact format of multiplayer, etc. The video just made me mistrust him and gave me the feeling that I'd have no idea what I'd be putting my money on the line for.

I'm basically sad this is going to meet its funding goal. OK, I guess it's fine for folks to take a gamble, but OTOH I also think we should be really tough on asking Kickstarter pitchers hard questions. They want our money after all.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 16:25.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
37. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:20 Sho

The book that's being made as the result of the Numenera KS is a reward in some of the Torment tiers BTW.  

35. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 13:10 Sho

Although it's worth pointing out that the reasons behind that contrast goes deeper than "publishers are solely manned by evil dicks". Rather, in the traditional publisher model, games are funded _at risk_, which e.g. does reasonably make piracy a factor that you need to consider in your calculation, because you need to make your money back post-release to break even. Even ignoring the desire to maximize profits (which is a pressure acting on publishers stemming from shareholders etc.) that alone creates an incentive to try to eliminate piracy e.g. by moving parts of the game server-side.

Kickstarter improves on this not so much because it cuts out a layer of evil dicks, but on a conceptual level - unless pitchers lie about their funding goal, getting funded before production even starts eliminates risk and removes an incentive to care about piracy.

The risk is when pitchers try to have their cake and eat it too, i.e. set the funding goal too low in the expectation of post-release profits. That's why we (the potential backers) have to remain vigilant and ask hard questions of pitchers. We have to educate ourselves more about how game budgets really work (e.g. by paying attention to which of these projects fail).

29. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 11:54 Sho

What's the EA fuckup got to do with Torment?  

16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:51 Sho

Right, but I think there can be a middle-ground there where you don't do full-on documentary crew but still produce nice video updates, like the Project Eternity folks are doing, or some of the lower-fi DFA side-videos (like Schafer playing his old games on ScummVM and sharing design lessons and anecdotes). Sure though, it still eats time.

I'm just saying that I've found that a big part of the reason I'm motivated to back KS games again and again is that I find I really enjoy following the projects after I back them. If a pitch includes some reassurance / feeds the expectation that I'm going to get that out of a pledge, I'm more likely to back.

And you can factor that into the reward tiering to absorb the costs. For example, on Broken Sword you only get access to their "code jam" live streams with the team if you peldge a certain amount.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2013, 09:56.

13. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:46 Sho

FTL is really super-fun and addicting, but it suffers from success in the game being pretty luck-dependent, and many players eventually get frustrated at the lack of difference their skills make. But the moment-to-moment gameplay is really awesome, it's the kind of game that produces these nail-biting life-and-death situations that end up being stories you tell your friends when you manage to turn them around and survive ... for the price it's being sold at it's worth picking up.  

10. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:42 Sho

I forgot the actual date, but iirc in the next-to-last episode of the documentary they covered delaying DFA and I vaguely remember concluding that it pushed the date past the September launch of Serpent's Curse ... but I'm shaky on these details.  

8. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:39 Sho

FTL is an example of a KS breakout success that's already been released, but I'm guessing you mean big KS games. I think the first one to release is Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse in September (which was a no-brainer for me, big adventure fan and fan of the series, and these guys know what they're doing).  

5. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:34 Sho

I really enjoyed their first video update as well. One thing that made me a bit reluctant to back initially (before they actually launched and their pitch blew me away) is that I felt the, well, entertainment value of the post-campaign Wasteland 2 process hasn't been as high as with some other projects I've backed. Yes, yes, I know, these teams are primarily supposed to deliver us great games, not to put on a show, but watching the Double Fine Adventure web series or the Project Eternity updates - it's just fun. With DFA I feel that even if the game were to turn out badly, I'd already have gotten my money's worth. So I'm rather happy the Torment team seems to want to broadcast more.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
106. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 17:22 Sho

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:18:
Sho wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:13:
So, is this the fastest Kickstarter comment thread to reach 100 posts?

I dunno, the Obsidian one was literally on fire!

Fun read, that one:

nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 13:00:
Just got up...they've crossed a million in around 24 hours. That's astounding...I honestly thought the KS craze was starting to wind down a little, so this is a nice surprise.

101. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 17:13 Sho

So, is this the fastest Kickstarter comment thread to reach 100 posts?  

99. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 17:08 Sho

I commented a little on the Numenera setting along with posting some concept art earlier, to me it pretty quickly went from "hmm" to "this is actually a selling point!"

It's like getting the best of both worlds, ideally - the depth and overall approach of PS:T, but still essentially an original IP instead of a nostalgia rehash. Big reason this is a compelling pitch.

92. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 16:45 Sho

Kickstarter confirms that Torment beat OUYA as the fastest project to reach 1 million in pledges: https://twitter.com/kickstarter/status/309409958817050624  

90. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 16:32 Sho

I don't understand this whole "funding options for non-Americans" business. Amazon Payments accepts credit cards that are widely available outside America. Yes, fewer Europeans might have credit cards because they can usually get away with debit cards during daily life, but this is still a silly meme ...

Edit: And yeah, bonayou.com sells pre-paid MasterCard credit cards via PayPal, with no additional fee or shipping costs. The business model is that as long as the card is just sitting around a monthly fee is deducted from the pre-loaded amount, but if you know the amount you're going to spend and that you'll use it up immediately, it's basically a free PayPal-to-CC converter that just involves waiting on physical delivery.

88. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 16:29 Sho

I'm also kind of hoping they're in contact with Obsidian on the tech side (considering Obsidian/Avellone is consulting on Wasteland 2, it's not far-fetched). Wasteland 2, Torment and Project Eternity are all being built on Unity and have obvious similarities, so exchanging knowledge could benefit all of them.  

84. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 16:13 Sho

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 16:08:
Just out of curiosity, Sho, how much did you donate to Dreamfall? (It's just a question, feel free to ignore or tell me to mind my own damn business. )

Creston

I'll shoot you a mail, don't like to talk numbers in public.

76. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 15:46 Sho

Torment is my seventh Kickstarter and my second-highest pledge so far (the money I threw at Dreamfall Chapters was far in excess of this one; Dreamfall is still the only video game that ever made me cry).  

481 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo