Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 610 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailers
7. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Sep 25, 2014, 21:30 Sho

Quinn wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 21:23:
Fucking hell that game was awesome, wasn't it? I remember reading a diary, ingame, about how she looked outside the window and into the distance at figures dancing around a group of standing stones at night. After that I looked outside the window ingame and saw the stones in the distance and imagined how scary it must've been for the girl who wrote the diary. So immersive and scary as woman you hear wailing right behind your cellardoor.

Yeah!

The writing was really good, and they had this gameplay mechanic that sounds gimmicky on paper but was totally awesome in practice: The protagonist had a magic stone he could use to view the location he was in in a flashback to the past. It was used sparingly for puzzles (observe activity in the past to gain the info you need now), but mostly for mood-setting and storytelling, and it really worked. And they were generally so good at staging and timing. And I don't mean jump-scare timing but really elaborate multi-room stuff.

The game isn't flawless, it was hampered a bit by technical limitations. They had a plan to sell a PS2 version (which never materialized), so they kept the levels small and had a lot of loading screens. The last act is really action-driven and becomes a bit repetitive. The indoor locations also had a frustrating amount of "try every door to find out which ones you can open" going on. But there is such a large number of memorable moments throughout the flaws kind of recede into the background.

Modern classic of the art form, folks. Don't miss out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Sep 25, 2014, 20:46 Sho

DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 20:31:
Generally I find games that try to be scary more stupid than frightening.

You're not wrong. The only actually-frightening game I can think of is the overlooked gem Undying.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2014, 21:04.

2. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Sep 25, 2014, 19:35 Sho

Please be good please be good please be good.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
48. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 18:13 Sho

Quboid wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 18:10:
Fallout 3 and New Vegas felt like Elder Scrolls games and I am entirely happy about this.

My 2 cents: Fallout 3 got the gameplay right, but Bethesda simply can't write dialog or create memorable characters to save their lives. New Vegas retained the gameplay and amped up the writing massively (which includes creates a gamespace with actually interesting social dynamics) and was a much better game for it overall. NV might just be my favorite Fallout, actually.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
42. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 16:39 Sho

I played for a few hours, but I'll be honest: The graphics are just too fugly, and it doesn't make up for it in character in any other way yet. If I'm not hooked at the 10h mark I'll call it quits.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Sep 23, 2014, 13:20 Sho

Hmmmm ... man I loved loved loved the original Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader. It's so sad all the sequels sucked so much. Can this be true? Did they finally make a good new one?  

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
32. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 15:30 Sho

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 15:24:
All these fools buying alpha versions of games are truly ignorant to the fact that the chances of a full feature list ever getting implemented are slim and none. Development can end at any stage.

I'm so incredibly tired of this self-satisfied grandstanding that's just pointing out the perfectly obvious. Yes, there are risks, and yes, the risks are known going in, but that doesn't mean the details aren't worth being curious about or discussing when a project slams into a wall. How to properly wind down projects like this is also worth a discussion.

Here's a good rule: If your only contribution to a discussion is to point out how you're much smarter than everybody else, you very likely are not.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2014, 15:36.

23. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 12:27 Sho

Beamer wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 12:26:
But this is the thing I always said I foresaw coming with EA - people just saying "well, we're out of beta, this is the release candidate!" I also forgot about public dev roadmaps any time I said that.

I got a chuckle out of EA in there. So right on so many levels.

18. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 11:49 Sho

Xil wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 11:44:
If I read correctly, they don't get all the source code, of course the gfx assets will not be included and I think part of the core of the game is not included, only the Lua source code is released which means people can change certain things that are scripted but not the core of the game... if I am correct on this.

It's pretty weird. The game is using an open source engine (Moai) and they're releasing the script code. I wonder what parts exactly are missing that prevent them from just doing a full source release.

11. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 10:08 Sho

nin wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 10:01:
So I guess my question is (granted, answer being subjective): Did they charge $25 and plan to make a $25 game, and have scaled back what it does to a $8 game? That's the impression I'm getting here, but I also admit I've not played it, nor reviewed the features.

I think $15 would still be OK as mentioned, but basically, yeah that's what happened. They said they'd continue to develop it for as long as they could fund it, and now we'll have to take them by their word that they did - badly communicated, sudden, not very info-rich words. Hence the malady.

7. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 09:50 Sho

Ludomancer wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 09:45:
So the game itself isn't too good?

It's not a train wreck or anything, it mostly needs more time. It's a decent shot at making a Sim Golf-type game. There's enough systems to manage to keep you busy and a fairly deep NPC AI sim. OTOH, the base defense/combat stuff is pretty awkward, it uses an indirect control scheme by placing beacons for security personnel to congregate towards, and feedback and latency on that just makes it frustrating - it hasn't really seen much love since the early alphas. It also has no real gameplay goals, though they still plan to add an objectives system for 1.0 (but I'm not expecting anything sophisticated).

If they priced it at $14.99 or so it'd probably be OK. It certainly falls well short of their original plans, though.

3. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 09:37 Sho

InBlack wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 09:33:
Okay, can someone please explain whether this game was indeed crowdfunded or was funded through traditional means, but only released as an early access title???

I explained this in the last thread, but it's worth repeating:

Spacebase was originally prototyped during Amnesia Fortnight, Double Fine's two-week internal game competition, which they subsidize via a campaign through Humble Bundle's store ("backers" get to vote on games and access to documentary footage shot on site).

Afterwards they decided to expand it into a full game. They got $400k in funding from Indie Fund for that. They started over from scratch (the protoype wasn't re-used). And then they put it on Early Access, for $25 ($30 with soundtrack).

So no, it technically wasn't crowd-funded. AF probably doesn't make much money, but at least it allowed them to prototype the game idea at low or no cost. Then Indie Fund and Early Access paid for further production.

I'm with nin on this, because this still seems fishy to me. I realize labor costs are high, and I'm all for good people getting paid well, but Spacebase isn't an asset-heavy game that needs a lot of artist hours, and my gut feeling says they should have been able to do more if early sales were as good as they said they were. And in any case, how they botched the communication around the source release and unnecessarily sabotaged a community rescue effort by souring people (they'll release some source code, but motivation seems low now) just sucks.

News Comments > New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk
4. Re: New Oculus VR Unit; Carmack's VR Talk Sep 21, 2014, 15:12 Sho

Watched this earlier and enjoyed it quite a bit, even though I'm not as deeply into his VR as his traditional QuakeCon keynote topics.

The segment around 55m and following is funny, about their problems with staying within the phone's allowed thermal envelope: "Samsung really doesn't want us to say thermal throttling [...] I want a little cellphone-on-fire icon or something".

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
47. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 21, 2014, 10:45 Sho

EricFate wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 10:41:
Instead, the airwaves will be dominated by whomever is loudest and has the least amount of impulse control

Which your post is an excellent example of, since the discussion has already advanced beyond the points you make. I'm willing to bet you didn't read it before this shiny bauble of an opportunity to part with your 2 cents got the better of you.

(Man, almost 20 years on the internet and complete lack of context-awareness in discussion entries still manages to piss me off.)

44. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 21, 2014, 09:50 Sho

Whiskers wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 08:37:
I really don't feel bad for anyone who buys into early access / kickstarter and then complains it's not what they wanted.You're putting in money in the hopes that something will pay off later. You're not buying a game, you're making an investment in an idea for a game. It's not a 100% guarantee. If you can't handle that, just wait for game to be "finished"

Again though, the problems here are:

a) Doubts about why they failed, because they had fairly decent funding (prototype via AF + 400k via Indie Fund + Early Access sales). I'd like more transparency on this. It's reasonable for anyone who invested to have questions now, and make future investments depend on the answers.

b) A lousy communication style has damaged the investment unnecessarily. They are planning a source release, but are sabotaging a potential community-organized rescue plan in advance by souring folks, by not even acknowledging that the situation changed and sharing their thoughts about it freely.

I'm tired of the "Don't do Early Access if you can't handle it" grandstanding. I get it, you are wise and have big balls. Meanwhile I can handle it just fine, but that doesn't mean details aren't worth discussing or thinking critically about.

30. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 22:34 Sho

Prez wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 22:29:
This is how kickstarter works - contributors are taking a risk, a calculated gamble that the dev will succeed in making the game they pitched in their design doc. The risk is that the game doesn't live up to its vision. Backers need to understand this, and that their only recourse is to be wiser about who they throw their money at in the future. So many people seem to not get this.

Did you read the thread? This game was never on Kickstarter.

15. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 16:21 Sho

Kajetan wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 16:13:
Backers are NOT consumers. I am a backer of DF9 and while i am still a little pissed, i accept that crowdfunding is NOT buying a game. Its my responsibility and my risk.

Well, for my 10 quids i got a wonderful soundtrack and several hours of fun, while still being in alpha. Its not a total loss as one might think

Where did you pay 10 quid to "back" this in a crowdfunding drive? Spacebase was funded with $400k from Indie Fund and then put as an alpha on Steam Early Access for $25 ($30 for the soundtrack edition, IIRC). And note that they didn't need those $400k to pay for prototyping since they already got to prototype during Amnesia Fortnight (but backing AF didn't get you a cheaper Early Access, IIRC). It's not quite the same situation as Kickstarter or Indiegogo. The risk proposition was very different.

Spacebase also isn't a very asset-heavy game and didn't need all that many artist hours.

Dunno. I think you can tell I try not to overreact when these things happen and try to empathize with the developer's position. But the more I think about this, the more unsatisfied I become. It feels like they should have been able to do more. Maybe this hints at larger, studio-level bottlenecks at DF.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2014, 16:32.

13. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 15:37 Sho

wtf_man wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 15:33:
I'm still pissed about Broken Age... not playing it until the full game is released. But it is obvious that Schaffer and company don't know how to do things within budget... nor on time.

I think what happened with Broken Age is that the Kickstarter was way more successful than they expected and created enormous pressure to make a game of a scope and production value that could live up to expectations, and you just can't make that for the money they collected, at least at the labor costs a well-established US studio like Double Fine runs up. I'm not sure what other options they realistically had; if they had made a smaller-scale game it would have felt anti-climactic to many. I think Schafer also felt a certain kind of responsibility towards other crowdfunded projects as a tent pole for the concept. So I still have sympathy for their predicament on that one.

11. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 15:21 Sho

Thinking about it some more, one thing that actually kind of does piss me off pretty bad is the lingo in their announcement. It's very out of the blue, and doesn't acknowledge in any way that their plans changed, or that it falls short of their (and their fans') hopes. They could have done a lot to soften the blow here, which would have created a better mood environment to think about the future (source release, community enhancement) in. I'm sure they're frustrated themselves, but they really dropped the ball on winding down gracefully and thus damaged my investment more than necessary.  

9. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 15:00 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 14:51:
Crap, I was looking forward to this. The early access sounded way to early, so I was waiting until it was finished. Looks like "finished" <> actually finished, so maybe the modding community can come up with something and I'll pick it up then.

It's not really that bad. A lot of the basics a game of this type needs to get right work quite well (like a notification/feedback system to keep on top of what's going on), the simulated NPCs are pretty deep, and there's a decent amount of station systems to manage to keep busy. It really needs goals though (still planned for 1.0) and base defense definitely needs more love (they basically tried their best to avoid opening the pandora's box of direct unit control, so there's a basic indirect control mechanism by placing "beacons" for security personnel to congregate toward, which hasn't changed much since the early days and is still pretty unsatisfying and awkward to use).

If you liked Sim Golf / theme park tycoon type games, this was shaping up to be a pretty nice one, and I think at 1.0 it'll probably be solid fun for a while ... but not for long enough to make your list of faves. If they price it at $15 or so (maaaaaaybe $20 if the goals system rocks) I think it'll be totally OK.

610 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo