Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 576 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Linux Another World Released
2. Re: Linux Another World Released Sep 17, 2014, 17:28 Sho

BobBob wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 16:30:
Ryan Gordon is definitely one of my favorite gaming developer / programmer / advocates. He's a pillar of the gaming scene and a very nice person.

Fully agreed. Make no mistake, a programmer like Ryan has his pick of jobs. He can work where he wants. That he's been doing this for 15 years now shows the sort of care and commitment to what he's doing that few people have.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
108. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 16, 2014, 08:23 Sho

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 00:04:
NeXT wouldn't have been worth a whole lot without getting Steve Jobs in the process, for example.

That's nonsense. Mac OS X and iOS are today built on NeXT's technology. Of course personnel transfer was key, but Steve Jobs was hardly the only important person to transfer from NeXT. Plenty of engineers came along who have shaped Apple's software since.

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
92. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 17:52 Sho

Beamer wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 17:48:
So, again, if Wall Street was willing to say something was worth $7.5 billion, and Microsoft bought it for $2.5 billion, I'd say it's nowhere near as easy to immediately write off as so many here are doing.

You forget that everyone here is steeped in experience at running a Fortune 500 company.

How many people are unable to go "you know, this seems like a complex topic I don't know much about, maybe I'm not actually qualified to have an opinion on this just yet" never ceases to amaze me. I can understand going "so I've been mulling this, and here's something interesting I dug up" or "this makes no sense to me, what do you guys think?" but having a 100% certain opinion two minutes in just closes yourself to actually thinking.

News Comments > MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow?
45. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 16:34 Sho

Fletch wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 16:32:
Sho wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 12:02:
This exchange is starting to reflect the average age of the Minecraft player base, me thinks.

[citation needed]

42. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 16:15 Sho

Rigs wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 16:08:
LEGOs may be children's toys

Heck, few things are nobler pursuits than making a good children's toy. Like many engineers I have super-fond memories of playing with LEGO blocks. I remember when I came up with four-wheel drive on my own and how happy my dad was when I showed him and other moments just seared into my memory.

I haven't played Minecraft much myself, but it seems like a superb LEGO for today's gen, especially with all the circuitry blocks you can play around with to explore basic computing ideas.

If MS does screw this up, it'll be a sad loss. What I'd like to see happen for Minecraft is a gradual open sourcing and turning over governance to a non-profit, to make sure Minecraft stays available to all. Unfortunately even in the most benign scenarios I can come up with I can't see MS doing that anytime soon. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2014, 16:00 Sho

Rigs wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 15:54:
I know it's not 'console exclusivity' yet everyone here seems to think that's exactly what it is.

No, there were other voices in the thread. For discussion to progress it's usually a good idea to latch onto that and see if you can expand the thinking or contribute something, rather than endlessly continue the same one-note conflict. It's best to ignore the simple knee-jerk stuff. It's usually grandstanding or letting off steam, and if you respond to it you just deliver a wordier version of the same.

19. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 12:02 Sho

This exchange is starting to reflect the average age of the Minecraft player base, me thinks.  

13. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 11:51 Sho

descender wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 11:46:
Yes, they really ruined those already terrible Tomb Raider games...

Bah, the last Tomb Raider was actually really well-liked by the Blue's community. Actually I liked all of Crystal's Tomb Raiders, even the rushed Underworld. I'm pretty miffed by the timed exclusive myself, especially since there's not even any upside to it. Nixxes (the studio handling PC ports of Crystal Engine games for Eidos) proved with both that game and DXHR that they can deliver a good PC port same-day.

9. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 11:32 Sho

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 11:20:
IMO there is nothing interesting to watch, MS has a totally proven record of how these things play out. Is there a chance for it to be different, yes, but pretty slim.

Yeah, I'm not saying I'm holding out hope or so. Basically I'm just always curious about any signs of Microsoft possibly changing. Big companies aren't monolithic, there's new folks rolling in all the time and there's internal debate and currents in there and such.

I've been Linux developer for the past decade, so I'm used to being in the opposing camp, of sorts, on various issues. Our way of making software used to be essentially denounced as evil by Microsoft, but in recent years they've increasingly toyed with open source as the industry has changed around them and their staff has become younger (you essentially cannot hire engineers below 30 anymore who don't have some open source experience). I'm sure there are some Microsoft engineers who are hoping to be able to push for even more change into that direction under the new leadership up top (Nadella). Hell, I sometimes see Microsoft engineers pop up on IRC now and talk to us and colleagues from competitors like Google day-to-day now.

You're right about the games division's track record, but I think even it is subject to culture change from the gros of the company.

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 11:20:
Obviously they think this is the next Lego's, if they can get people to go to the movies for Minecraft like Lego gets for movies, then there is room to make this pay off long term. To me though it isn't set in stone, this isn't that type of brand yet.

I think it pays off long term for them if the future engineers who grow up playing Minecraft now walk away with a positive image of Microsoft, instead of being the uncoolest place you can possibly work at.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2014, 11:39.

6. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 11:13 Sho

descender wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 10:39:
I don't understand why this is a big deal. "Minecraft" is not really going anywhere.

The consensus by commentators goes like this: Minecraft is to kids today what LEGO was to many of us. Microsoft is buying it to install its brand into this new generation.

I suspect this isn't far off, and there is probably internal debate about whether to go with a "cast the net wide" approach (-> keep Minecraft on as many platforms as possible, etc.) or make it exclusive to MS platforms (argued for by those for whom not doing so seems like bypassing an opportunity).

As an outsider to Minecraft, I find this interesting to watch. How Microsoft goes about this will say a lot about where the company is headed and what sort of people make the calls now. Even if you don't give a shit about Minecraft, it's worth paying attention I think.

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 13, 2014, 18:55 Sho

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 18:47:
The shine on crowdfunding has definitely worn off for a lot of people and that will only continue as projects fail, turn out to be shit, and scams all increase.

I'm not sure that's it. I've backed around 20 games or so up until now, and I think 7-8 have delivered by now. I've been happy with all of them except one which turned out to be a complete disaster (Jane Jensen's Moebius). And yet I find myself much less likely to back anything right about now.

I think it's mostly because I'm kind of at capacity. I'm still waiting on a lot of my backed projects, and I haven't finished playing some of those that already finished. Something has to impress me rather a lot now to back it, just because I don't need more game, including in niche genres that were previously dormant.

It affects my attention span. An acquaintance suggested I back Seldon Crisis the other day, but after one look at the pitch vid and the first few sentences of description I was out. It was just a CG space battle, nothing that indicates in any way they have the chops or a plan for how to realize the ambitious game they want to make, and their goal sum is much too low for a MMO. And I wouldn't have time to play it anyway, so what's the point? I'm not adverse to spending money for vote-with-my-wallet activism reasons, I guess, but then they'd have had to convince me that's worthy of it fast ...

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 13, 2014, 18:13 Sho

I think it ultimately comes down to a variety of factors culminating in whether you believe a pitch will follow through and deliver on its promises. If you have no established track record, showing a more substantial prototype can definitely help with generating that.  

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Diary
6. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Diary Sep 13, 2014, 16:56 Sho

I actually enjoyed the Seattle campaign, so I'm all hells yes about an improved successor ... I didn't play the original Dragonfall yet, so even better. And heck, I live in Berlin.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary
27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 13, 2014, 11:09 Sho

Apparently the way they went about doing this is to strap an Unreal Engine 3 layer to the original "gameplay engine". I bet it's a colossal hack where they essentially run the old game offscreen and shuttle data forth and back to keep the two halves in sync (the failed Kickstarter for Outcast HD used the same technique, check out their vids to get an idea of it). That might explain why they found it hard to wire up mouse support in a few ways I can sort of imagine. It actually makes for an interesting curiosity, I'd love to see their code.  

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 13, 2014, 00:36 Sho

Speaking as a developer: You're generally right, I'm sitting here wondering what situation they managed to corner themselves into that it wasn't trivial to add at least basic pointer handling. Perhaps they used some terrible middleware for their UI layer and had trouble hooking things up, or their menu system is based entirely around some sort of abstract nav tree data structure and they had no time to mark things up for pointer intersection tests, or they have lots of complex screens where mouse support would have called for stuff beyond basic clicks like DND (I don't remember the menus anymore).

Still, it's not really rocket science. Worst case they could have licensed Scaleform or whatever (assuming they're not using it already) and wired the menus up from scratch. Either they were too time or budget constrained for dev hours or have a shit codebase they did't want to risk having to touch too much and break things.

Considering the original didn't have a proper save system, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter (if your game engine can't serialize and deserialize state for savegames you planned badly). Unless that was a "genius" design idea.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2014, 00:42.

3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 12, 2014, 20:33 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 20:30:
Sho wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 20:26:
Does it have a working savegame function now?

It has the same issues as the previous version.. if what one hears is true

PASS then. Fable had the worst savegame system I've ever encountered. I feel the gamer rage well up in me just thinking back to it.

1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fable Anniversary Sep 12, 2014, 20:26 Sho

Does it have a working savegame function now?  

News Comments > Alien Isolation Trailer
8. Re: Alien Isolation Trailer Sep 12, 2014, 13:49 Sho

So I got weak and preordered at GMG at 25% off. I love the kind of game this purports to be, let's hope it really is ...  

News Comments > Daedalic Entertainment and Martin Ganteföhr
2. Re: Daedalic Entertainment and Martin Ganteföhr Sep 9, 2014, 12:14 Sho

Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:28:
Never heard of him. What did he win an award for? Outstanding achievement in the field of excellence?

He was a project lead / lead writer on some great adventure games by German company House of Tales.

The Moment of Silence was a fairly typical near-future political dystopia on the face of it, but approached in an interesting way (the protagonist works in an ad agency effectively doing propaganda for the government, which leads to his involvement in the plot). Overclocked dealt with complex themes around violence and PTSD and had a really ambitious story structure. Both are easily among the strongest adventures of their time period.

And then it all fell apart financially, resulting in 15 Days being rushed to market and released in a really lackluster condition, and Ganteföhr left (pre-release even? I can't fully recall the details) and House of Tales folded.

The guy's got a lot of fans in the adventure gaming community. I made a little jump in my seat when I read this news. Putting Ganteföhr together with the most stable and productive adventure house around right now seems like a great foundation ...

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Sep 7, 2014, 09:50 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 03:20:
So your phone has four cores, but you can't USE four cores. At least not in anything more than a very short burst.

It depends on your definition of "using". In practice a CPU core will often go idle briefly even while a process is technically using it (e.g. because it's waiting on I/O), and power management then works to let it descend into various sleep states that e.g. turn parts of the chip off via clock gating to have it draw less power - and thus also leak less heat. A situation where all four cores are at C0 (not sleeping) for any length of time is going to be rare in practice. And even at meager utilization multi-core can have performance benefits, especially because mobile CPU cores are traditionally not really designed for ILP.

That said, I'm sure there are offenders in the smartphone industry who push down on the thermal envelope too aggressively.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2014, 09:59.

576 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo