Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 660 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Live
17. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Live Jan 13, 2015, 17:08 Sho

I sort of expected to back this much higher, but the strech goals don't wow me enough ... the base proposition is strong already. Still, I'd pick up a copy anyway and I like these guys. I guess I'll put down $25.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG.com Removes Installer Passwords
7. Re: GOG.com Removes Installer Passwords Jan 8, 2015, 15:47 Sho

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 15:36:
I'm confused. Why exactly did they put these passwords in to begin with? How is putting a password into something HELPING a Luddite (apparently we call them "less tech-savvy" now...) install a game?

Check out my comment here.

News Comments > GOG.com Removes Installer Passwords
3. Re: GOG.com Removes Installer Passwords Jan 8, 2015, 14:33 Sho

Parias wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 13:53:
Neat. I like these guys.

Yup, cool move.

News Comments > Daedalic & Funatics Team Up
1. Re: Daedalic & Funatics Team Up Jan 7, 2015, 12:53 Sho

Wow. I had no idea Funatics still existed.  

News Comments > QUAKE on an Oscilloscope
20. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 31, 2014, 09:57 Sho

Blue wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 09:53:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/25179/nprquake

You know, it's pretty likely that's where I originally know it from!

Thanks for that all the way up to now, and have a great 2015 Blue.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 30, 2014, 21:55 Sho

Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 21:48:
Same, except I'd say that which is on my wishlist isn't on sale for the prices I'm prepared to pay. It just seems that they - along with Amazon, et al. aren't as aggressive on getting lower price points as fast as they used to. Oh well, I can wait.

Oh yeah, that's true. I'm still conflicted about getting Talos Principle. It looks cool and I'd technically really like to support Croteam, but I'm still not sure I want to pay the current asking price. They might also get me to pick up Watch Dogs for 5, but not more ...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 30, 2014, 21:35 Sho

That South Korean hack is part of a pattern now. You'll see this happen more and more often the next a couple of years.

(Random side note: I spent most of the year cramming Korean grammar and a core vocab and can make sense of most things pretty comfortably now so long as there's a dictionary near. Always looking for more practice, so if there's ever a need for that skill on Blue's, ping me ... e.g. sometimes folks have trouble with those MMO betas and stuff.)

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 30, 2014, 21:33 Sho

I don't think I've bought anything in the sale this year. I gobbled up deals like candy the last years. Dunno, somehow there's not much left worth getting but so much left to play.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed
4. Re: Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed Dec 30, 2014, 21:25 Sho

Slashman wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 21:22:
Would be great if they made it with a better graphics engine though.

Nothing against the 2D stuff they used in SRR and Dragonfall but I'd like to see some major improvements going forward.

Tastes differ, but I really like the rendition style and the craftsmanship they put into their visuals. I'm not tired of it yet, and I think it's a cost-effective way to make something good-looking for them. If they switched to 3D it'd probably wind up being crappy 3D at the scale of their budgets ... see Wasteland 2, which I still think came out fugly. And hey, they actually did quite a bit of iterative graphics work for the Dragonfall DC, e.g. on the effects system.

News Comments > QUAKE on an Oscilloscope
16. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 30, 2014, 21:19 Sho

Signal processing boner.

Also, visually reminds me of the fun I used to have with NPRQuake 15 years ago:

http://research.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/sketchScreen.jpg
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/graphics/Gallery/NPRQuake/brushScreen.jpg

This is all pre shaders so it was pretty nifty at the time, especially as a student project.

The lead dev is a senior software architect at Pixar today, so it worked out for him, too.

News Comments > Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed
2. Re: Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed Dec 30, 2014, 21:13 Sho

Yeah, I'll back this. They delivered with the last two and have pretty much earned the trust.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 30, 2014, 21:10 Sho

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 20:36:
I like my tab, I just don't need to update it as often as the industry may want me to. Nothing more than that.

Yeah, same. I use my tablet every day for things like browsing on the couch or watching shit in bed. I deliberately avoid using a laptop in those settings and use a more restricted consumption-oriented gadget because it's better at making me feel that I'm no longer at work (I'm a software developer, so if I just transition frome one keyboard to another it's shit). But my '13 Nexus 7 does that just fine, and so so far I'm not seeing any near-term reasons to replace it.

News Comments > GOG.com on RAR vs DRM
6. Re: GOG.com on RAR vs DRM Dec 30, 2014, 20:43 Sho

Basically, the issue here is that for some of the games GOG does not yet support on Linux, some folks liked to take the Windows installer, extract the game files, and have their way with them - e.g. throw them at a Linux version of DOSBox. Some folks also make and share scripts that automate this process, which means you don't have to bother with installing Wine and downloading and running the GOG Windows installer on Wine anymore.

Due to the installer change, this stopped working, because the game resources are now packaged in password-protected RAR archives. By now, the password protection has been bypassed, but it's still a little inconvenient because it makes the whole thing a bit more complicated.

So the discussion is basically about why GOG chose to do this (their answer: they don't want people to be able to easily extract the archives because it makes customer support harder on them when people bake their own non-standard installs and expect support) and whether locking things down is in keeping with the spirit of GOG and its relationship with its customers.

Overall, it's not a really super-big issue, and the discussion has remained fairly civil from what I skimmed. So this isn't #gogrargate just yet or anything. Linux users/gamers are just a little more sensitive to things like that and more likely to ponder the ramifications (which in the best case can lead to improvements for consumers across the board).

Here's an example from the past: Back in the 90s, it wasn't easily possible to legally watch legally purchased DVDs on Linux systems, because nobody sold a decent DVD player app for Linux that had a properly licensed implementation of the CSS copyright protection system. The open source players (and this is where VLC hails from, which you may be using on Windows right now) could play DVDs just fine, of course, but circumventing CSS was illegal, and the American distributions wouldn't include code to break CSS even after it got cracked for that reason. So Linux users had to jump through hoops (download software from inconvenient places) just to be able to play DVDs they rightfully purchased, despite the fact that they had done all the hard work to implement DVD playback (including e.g. writing some code what wound up being used in the mastering of many of those DVDs, making the industry money).

This is the sort of stuff why Linux users tend to get antsy when there's dumb shit preventing them from doing what they want. Yeah, the freetard thing can be off-putting and seem impractical, but there's often history and good reasons at the core.

This comment was edited on Dec 30, 2014, 21:02.

News Comments > Outcast 1.1 Released
8. Re: Outcast 1.1 Released Dec 20, 2014, 17:28 Sho

beremot wrote on Dec 20, 2014, 17:24:
This and the first Delta Force are the two voxel games I remember playing ... nice that they kept the old tech for this release.

It's interesting how well the tech still holds up at hi-res, actually. That is, it scales up really well in the sense that the problems it has (like the jaggyness where the voxels and the polygon buildings meet) aren't really any more apparent than they were 1999. It wasn't perfect back then and those problems remain. But the voxel landscapes scale better than textured triangle stuff of the era does, and things like the volumetric water and surface ripple effects and all the particle effects are still quite pretty.

News Comments > Outcast 1.1 Released
6. Re: Outcast 1.1 Released Dec 20, 2014, 17:23 Sho

I tried this the other day and it worked very well, now all the way up to 1080p. And they're promising further improvements in later updates, in particular to the UI.

Outcast really was a special game. It felt raw and wonky in places, particular the controls, but its game world also felt alive and real like no other at the time. The graphics made it look and feel unique - they still do - and the NPCs were so well-realized, with their own lore and jargon and impressive AI behaviors (NPCs could interact and coordinate, etc.). The layout and scale of the levels was ambitious and interesting. There was some pretty advanced world scripting stuff going on. It was also one of the first games with a top-notch orchestral soundtrack.

OTOH, some of it sure feels dated now - the protagonist is just a Bruce Willis cardboard cutout and the intro is all very "here's your mission" game-y, presentation and writing is much better now in games. But damnit if 90 minutes of checking it out don't make me want to replay it again.

News Comments > Larian's "Leaked" RPG Plans
12. Re: Larian's Dec 20, 2014, 09:12 Sho

Xil wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 10:02:
they should hurry up with the linux version.... so close to trying to see if I can get it running on Wine....

I played the beta on Wine a little. It ran fairly well from what I recall.

However, note that Steam apparently determines the main platform of a purchase by initial play time. That is, according to what I've read in statements by Aspyr (a porting house, they e.g. did Civ and XCOM) a game will count as a Linux sale if it's primarily played on Linux early on. And it's unclear how Steam will count Wine -- if the reason for this metric is to properly reward the work of a porting contractor, counting Wine as Linux makes no sense. Now I think Larian did the porting inhouse, but basically, if there's a platform pie chart in their Steam creator's account and you want Linux to look good on it to get more games in the future, it's probably always a good reason to wait for native versions.

Sometimes I want to write some small indie game just to put it on various stores and see how the backend system experience looks like. The world needs the 15000th Flappy Bird clone, right?

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2014, 09:20.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
91. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 17:59 Sho

Dev wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:47:
Alternatively I could buy it off if you if you haven't used the serial yet.

I haven't and would be up for this, but are you sure they use a serial system? I checked out the store system, and while it shows the game under "My Downloadable Products" all I get is a link to the installer. I'm guessing login just works by account after that point.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
76. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 16:23 Sho

I tried to get a refund for this, but was denied because I'm a Kickstarter backer. I've backed around 20-30 games, and while one other of them turned out to be shit, this is the first time I feel really betrayed and screwed over by a project.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
70. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 19:09 Sho

1badmf wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 18:29:
haha seconded, although i find the bitterness here goes down a little more smoothly than the eye-watering chokejobs like youtube comments and *shudder* 4chan. like sipping an expensive whiskey instead of pugging off a handle of smirnoff.

Well that's what made the quote so funny: That this pit of bitter, old men hardly represents the entire gaming community is both a blessing and a curse, depending on the topic.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
36. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 12:17 Sho

Quinn wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:13:
This pit of bitter, old men hardly represents the entire gaming community.

Can we get that into the site title?

660 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo