Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 690 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Patched
15. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patched Apr 21, 2015, 22:57 Sho

Thanks!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Patched
13. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patched Apr 21, 2015, 22:11 Sho

Here's me and every 3D GTA so far: I really like the idea of a 3D GTA. I want it. I buy it. I have fun fooling around in the sandbox for about two hours. I try doing the campaign, but don't like any of the characters or find the story interesting, and absolutely loathe the missions, which are filled with massive amounts of tedium (like waypoint tours) and really clumsy gameplay (like being the worst shooter with the most frustrating controls imaginable). All the minigame stuff doesn't do it for me, either (my god, I swear I remember missions that involved some sort of bongo drum rhythm game). After five hours tops I'm done.

Is GTA V any different?

I will say I loved the original, first top-down one. It was just a simpler game that made it easier to experiment and build traps for the police and what not, also because top-down afforded more situational awareness and it was easier to "build" things with car wrecks.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book
3. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book Apr 13, 2015, 19:37 Sho

Brataccas wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 19:17:
He also says the entire game can be ghostable, including the boss battles.

Huge win there. That was the worst part of HR, the silly boss battle mechanics.

I never got around to playing the DC, didn't they fix it there?

Still honestly annoyed they dropped the gold filter from the DC though. I liked it, and from a brief session thought the game looked much blander without it. I'd love a mod for the DC that restores it.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 12, 2015, 21:42 Sho

I'm not going to buy an Apple Watch for a few reasons (I like my wrists free, I don't like the design, I don't like the company, I wouldn't want to brand myself with it on my wrist, etc.) but I have to admit the "digtal touch" thing, while it seems gimmicky, also seems sort of cute to me. That idea of being able to remotely and randomly give someone a squeeze - albeit a motorized one - directly on their skin theoughout the day is a bit compelling.

Then again I also always thought RC vibes like the We-Vibe are an interesting idea.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
23. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 30, 2015, 22:25 Sho

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 22:19:
I bet these outfits do their own QA. They run the game so many times that they can't see the mistakes anymore. It's just a thing that happens. You have to have fresh eyes and if you're on a budget then your fresh eyes may be the players'.

My 2 cents from the other day ...

Quinn wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 19:32:
Having a good time with the game, though I find Chapter 2 remarkably less interesting. I never really like cities too much in these games -- because of all the walls of text every fucking NPC has in store for you and sidequest after sidequest around every goddamn corner -- and I've spent this entire day running back and forth in one. Give me wilderness, caves, unexplored vistas. Screw cities.

I love cities in games like this. I get what you're saying, they're definitely overwhelming. I'm a notorious completionist in RPGs, so I start systematically grinding through all the NPCs to make sure I don't miss any quests ... but I still just like the atmosphere. Big reason I liked P:ST so much.

News Comments > BioWare Open Sources Something
1. Re: BioWare Open Sources Something Mar 30, 2015, 22:20 Sho

That's great. Game development is the last large software industry that generally doesn't open source very much (there's the odd engine here and there nowadays, EA has thrown some of its libs over the fence in an ungraceful fashion, and Valve has gotten into open dev tools for SteamOS/Linux), but stands to benefit a lot from collaborating on infrastructure that it's a very suitable dev methodology for.

That said, the hard work only starts after you open up a codebase. Open source projects rise and fall mainly with their approach to community and governance.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week
50. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 29, 2015, 09:59 Sho

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 09:21:
It's weird, you'd think a bug like that would get noticed in testing. I wonder if it was introduced in a late patch...

Yeah, it's likely this worked fine at some point and then regressed/broke when something about the internal code organization changed or similar. Chances are it's trivial to fix even. It's very easy to drop balls on the floor like this during a long development cycle; this is why you write a unit testing suite because you can't possibly test everything manually and need that safety net when making modifications. However, every developer wishes their test suite was more complete than it usually is, and automated GUI testing is particularly tricky.

Plus, frankly, while many game programmers are very smart cookies who can spot a bug in a Bresenham implementation from 5km away, they're almost equally as likely to be really inexperienced on process stuff like this (heck, even Carmack discovered static analysis late in his career). As a practical example, one nice way to do automated testing of something like a game is to make sure it's deterministic enough (at least has a deterministic mode) that the exact same input leads to the same state, so you can play back the same input twice and compare the resulting "save games" - if something changed you can take a look at why and whether you'd have expected it to. But that's something you need to think of ahead of time to some degree and code for, and many game teams don't, and then carry that technical debt forward.

It's just that balancing act between art and engineering.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week
23. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 09:58 Sho

I haven't played far yet (about an hour) but so far I'm enjoying what it feels like.

I play on Linux. The intro movies are stuttery and crackle so I went "oh shit ..." initially, but in-game everything is fine. Appreciate the same day release.

News Comments > Broken Age Act 2 Next Month
17. Re: Broken Age Act 2 Next Month Mar 25, 2015, 18:40 Sho

Julio wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 18:07:
Sho wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 15:11:
What's this "Fuck you" thing though? Did that actually happen? Maybe I did miss something.

Article #1 in the link below is what I think he's referring to.
http://theralphretort.com/tag/tim-schafer/

And video link...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEDCcdjgMNs

Thanks. Yeah, seems pretty stupid of him to pour more oil into the fire, especially as late as March '15. Thought we were past that shit by now.

10. Re: Broken Age Act 2 Next Month Mar 25, 2015, 15:11 Sho

007Bistromath wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 14:55:
So you're going to forgive the Molyneuxian over-promising, the disingenuous e-begging, the abandoned projects, and the fact that he got up on stage and said "fuck you" to hundreds of people that gave him money to do all that shit because of what amounts to a petty internet bitchfit between people who like games and people who like to make money writing about games?

I don't, no - I'm quite angry with Double Fine specifically about the DF-9 situation, and don't expect I'll back any of their crowdfunding efforts again. As a company they've definitely squandered a lot of my trust with that one. But I don't really see much Molyneuxian over-promising from Schafer. In fact, Broken Age is far grander in scope than promised originally.

What's this "Fuck you" thing though? Did that actually happen? Maybe I did miss something.

7. Re: Broken Age Act 2 Next Month Mar 25, 2015, 14:54 Sho

007Bistromath wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 14:33:
Only his whole masturbatory joke of a career, culminating in him blatantly giving the finger to people who funded his bullshit over the past few months.

Oh. You're salty about the Molyneux thing, right? Just Schafer being generically conflict-averse, IMHO, which fits my impression of his personality. I disagree with him, but I feel no hate about it. He's a good writer, I don't need him to be right about everything.

3. Re: Broken Age Act 2 Next Month Mar 25, 2015, 14:21 Sho

007Bistromath wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 14:15:
Schafer, on the other hand, is such a hypocritical disappointment that he managed to dirty his work, something I previously believed impossible.

Did I miss something?

News Comments > Singularity Revival Teased
17. Re: Singularity Revival Teased Mar 24, 2015, 08:29 Sho

yuastnav wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 06:35:
Still, I'd love to have another Jedi Knight though that's not going to happen for obvious reasons. And there's isn't an engine available that was quite as well suited for a game like that like the Quake 3 engine.

OTOH, I never felt anything for their Jedi Knight games because they just weren't nearly as good as LucasArts' and Mysteries of the Sith. Plus I'm tired of Star Wars now. I'd actually rather have a new Singularity, at least that was original IP. And I'd like to see how they'd expand on that universe, much less predictable than with a tightly constrained franchise like SW.

Hey, maybe Raven was trying to gauge or prove interest.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2
16. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 19:32 Sho

Julio wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 19:27:
Hopefully Tim Schafer didn't provide those playtest numbers, as he's shown a couple of times math isn't his specialty

I'll give you that one

News Comments > Singularity Revival Teased
1. Re: Singularity Revival Teased Mar 23, 2015, 19:00 Sho

I'm up for this. I really enjoyed Singularity. It was the first solid, oldschool single-player shooter I had gotten to play in years when it hit, and I really didn't need to force myself to finish it in a weekend.  

14. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 18:47 Sho

Julio wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 18:40:
Wonder how long "Act 2" will be in gameplay - One hour? Two?

They've previously given a 8-12 hour figure, based on playtest data, which makes it substantially longer than Act 1. We'll see what it shakes down to in reality, and how much of that may be down to more difficult puzzles.

12. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 16:17 Sho

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 16:06:
Also, they spent I don't know how much of their budget on getting Elijah Wood to voice Shay and I thought it sounded incredibly phoned in and bland. I agree on the difficulty too. I'm not a fan of old school adventure game "moon logic" but this was basically a linear progression.

The VO director for Broken Age got interviewed for the documentary, and she mentioned that her budget is smaller than it was back when she worked with Schafer on Day of the Tentacle and that the actors are "essentially working for free". EW happened after Schafer and him got in touch on Twitter over Wood being a Monkey Island fan. I doubt he was really expensive.

In my eyes, Broken Age took so long and went over budget mostly because they made a significantly bigger game than they originally hoped to do, with much higher production values. Which is probably a combo of feeling forced into it due to the scope of the response and KS phenomenon, and simple enthusiasm. DF is an established studio with a fairly high age average in for its employees; these aren't cheap people to employ. Most of this money likely went toward rent and meals and what not.

So was that bad/unsound management? Perhaps. It's hard to pass up getting a bigger and more elaborate game, though, even on the receiving end. (I haven't played it beyond an hour yet - waiting on Act 2 -, so this isn't a comment on whether it's good.)

7. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 10:28 Sho

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 10:21:
Facts hurt huh?

Are they facts, though? I agree the how and why of Broken Age running over budget and out of time deserve a critical look (and I'm very salty towards DF for the unrelated DF-9 fuckup), but I honestly didn't really get the impression that they wasted dough on frivolous stuff.

5. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 09:23 Sho

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 09:21:
Of course not, he's already blown all the money on hosting parties.

Hey, at least his writing is still more original than yours.

3. Re: Gone Gold - Broken Age Act 2 Mar 23, 2015, 09:07 Sho

No, there won't be a third act.  

690 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo