Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 644 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
91. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 17:59 Sho

Dev wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:47:
Alternatively I could buy it off if you if you haven't used the serial yet.

I haven't and would be up for this, but are you sure they use a serial system? I checked out the store system, and while it shows the game under "My Downloadable Products" all I get is a link to the installer. I'm guessing login just works by account after that point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
76. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 16:23 Sho

I tried to get a refund for this, but was denied because I'm a Kickstarter backer. I've backed around 20-30 games, and while one other of them turned out to be shit, this is the first time I feel really betrayed and screwed over by a project.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
70. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 19:09 Sho

1badmf wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 18:29:
haha seconded, although i find the bitterness here goes down a little more smoothly than the eye-watering chokejobs like youtube comments and *shudder* 4chan. like sipping an expensive whiskey instead of pugging off a handle of smirnoff.

Well that's what made the quote so funny: That this pit of bitter, old men hardly represents the entire gaming community is both a blessing and a curse, depending on the topic.

36. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 12:17 Sho

Quinn wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:13:
This pit of bitter, old men hardly represents the entire gaming community.

Can we get that into the site title?

32. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 12:10 Sho

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 12:04:
In regards to gay and TV, you can now start to see some gay moments on TV. What I want to know is WTF happened to Lesbians? It was more "ok" being woman on woman than man on man, so why aren't we getting our share of lesbian scenes on TV? It's like it was skipped over, I want to stop and say "Wait a minute, I got my popcorn and roll more-ok lesbian scenes".

My 2 cents: People who are against including more lesbian love in games forget to account for how incredibly entertaining the resulting Sarkesian video would be.

26. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:59 Sho

Quinn wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:55:
I admit, I can't proof that it's popular. All I know is that I like it, my friends like it, and in most forum posts I've read about it people like it. Where's your source that claims that it's not? This is an honest inquiry btw.

I've gotten the impression that it's quite popular, too. When I've talked with friends about our Mass Effect playing experience, romantic choices (or lack thereof) tended to come up sooner or later. I think it's simply among the more personally meaningful and emotionally engaging decisions you get to make in the game.

It's also worth noting that the romantic decisions in Mass Effect aren't nearly as "obviously good path" or "obviously evil path" as many of the quest decisions you get to make in the game. I understand people calling the romance stuff in ME cheesy (a lot of it was), but I think you can actually make an argument that it was more sophisticated choice gameplay than much of the rest of the game. Which is interesting if you ask me.

22. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:51 Sho

Axis wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:43:
He basically said They (developers) include "him" in games to attempt to make gay people appear normal and accepted, when they are already normal and accepted - and only serves the developers interest, not gays. There was more but that was the jist of it.

I guess I can understand being annoyed by "token gay romance" stuff. But I'm not sure what alternatives the devs have at that point ... it seems like a transitional thing where you need to do it to the point that no one notices either presence or absence anymore, and then you can finally get to just including whatever's narratively compelling in context.

Axis wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:43:
For me, I feel any romance as an rpg line is annoying at best no matter how it's done or who it serves.

I think not pursuing a romance should always be a role-playing option, but I think it's cool when you can express that side of a character. Dunno, I guess I like dialog systems and the social sim side of narrative-driven games in general and at that point, why should my character not get to have a sex life? I think that sort of realism can lead to good writing.

18. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:28 Sho

Axis wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:25:
3. My openly gay friend thinks gay romance in computer games are insulting, unnecessary, and serve only the maker to appear "tolerable". I couldn't agree more, but I'd include that to any romance at all.

Out of curiosity, what do they find insulting about it?

15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:23 Sho

WaltC wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:18:
I find it disturbing because nothing is more boring to me than cartoon, pretend romances in a 3d RPG. Hopefully, this is something that can be easily bypassed completely. Ugh. Dime romance novels are everywhere...not needed inside 3d games, too.

Personally I kinda like it when it's done well. If it's too gamey it's annoying, and I wouldn't play dating sims specifically, but I don't mind if well-written adult characters have a romantic life, or role-playing it for that matter. Mass Effect sort of skirted that line, some dialogs clicked, others were silly.

13. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 11:15 Sho

InBlack wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 11:08:
Am I the only one who finds this kind of...disturbing? Who the fuck holds hands before declaring their intentions? Kindergartners?

Lots of people ramp up physical intimacy slowly before jumping into bed with each other. It's fun.

It's also a question of culture. In lots of Asian countries this sort of physical contact between opposite genders gets explicitly called out as a thing under the term skinship (an English word they made up at some point and that spread heavily), and starting to do skinship and more intimate forms of it are celebrated as stages of a new relationship.

But I digress. Thanks for the comprehensive answers folks, this is why Blue's is still the best :).

8. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 10:50 Sho

That sounds pretty sweet. Speaking of the lore though, do you think it'd be a problem that I sat out DA2?  

5. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 10:35 Sho

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 10:31:
It's a pretty good game in some ways and I suspect people who waited for the first patch will have a better time with it. If you really wanted another Dragon Ages: Origins, well this is not that. If you don't mind something sorta in between Origins and DA2 then this is certainly worth picking up. Many games deliver a lot less for $60 and even if you just did the main quest you'll get your moneys worth.

Thanks! So I guess if I prepare myself to resist any completionist tendencies and play it more like an adventure game for the main storyline I'd be good.

Sounds similar to Mass Effect 1 with its endless cut-and-paste side missions (all of which I played unfortunately ...).

3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 10:22 Sho

What's the verdict on this game? I kind of didn't pay attention.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Linux Hints
7. Re: BioShock Infinite Linux Hints Dec 7, 2014, 16:31 Sho

Kristian Joensen wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 16:22:
See Aspyr_Blair's comment quoted here.

Thanks, very interesting.

4. Re: BioShock Infinite Linux Hints Dec 7, 2014, 15:59 Sho

Clever Caviar wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 15:53:
Just remember, if you are a penguin powered gamer, and you want your money to go to the Linux devs, you need to buy it when the Linux version is out (assuming you don't have it already). You might be able to buy it now, not install it at all, and then fire it up when the Linux version ships, but I'm not 100% on that.

What's the basis for that? Do you have any hard knowledge that the porting houses sign contracts that scale their pay with number of licenses sold for the platform? I find that unlikely.

2. Re: BioShock Infinite Linux Hints Dec 7, 2014, 14:53 Sho

Always nice to see more AAA titles for Linux, even though I thought Infinite was a major disappointment.

What I'm wondering is what's taking Metro Redux so long. They heavily advertised Linux support, and I was really looking forward to finally getting started on the series (it's the first time they brought the first game over to the platform). I bought it at launch and now there's been no news since August.

News Comments > Deus Ex "Dawn" Engine Revealed; DX Universe Clarified
26. Re: Deus Ex Dec 5, 2014, 16:30 Sho

FWIW, I liked the games' original graphics much more than the DC without the orange filter. It looked duller and lifeless and just had much less visual identity.  

News Comments > Broken Age Part Two Next Year
5. Re: Broken Age Part Two Next Year Nov 30, 2014, 15:31 Sho

Kajetan wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 14:52:
DF is an independent developement studio without big contracts. There is ALWAYS tension about finances. This is normal.

It's also not abnormal for them to fold, unfortunately.

Kajetan wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 14:52:
They got the Grim Fandango-Remake, Massive Chalice seems to be managed and developed quite good. I wouldnt write them off so easily. But when you are looking for a secure working place, a company like DF is not it. A lot of studios in the industry are always struggling.

GF isn't a remake, it's a light refurbishment of the original. Cleaned up assets, some control tweaks, and a cool re-recorded score, that's about it. Sure, it'll get them some cash (they'll get mine) on a light investment, but it won't be company-saving money. IIRC they also had to buy the license back first, so they sunk more than development costs into it actually.

As for Chalice, I'm a backer. It's a good game design project, but it's not very Massive - I think there will be a lot of disappointment when it hits, because it's just not comparable in scope and production value to their much-flaunted inspiration (XCOM:EU) and the graphics are downright a bit shoddy (I kept waiting for them to switch from pre-production to production mode and swap out the assets, until it dawned on me ... they're actually planning to ship refined versions of this).

FWIW, I hope I'm wrong. There's nice and creative people at the company.

OTOH, games like Journey Down: Chapter 2 get done on shoestring budgets and have much more heart and creativity than Broken Age. Maybe this is really a genre for scrappy indies and startups, not established companies with developers in their late 30s and all the extra expenses and inefficiencies (you know, people wanting to work sane hours) this incurs. I think this would be sad though, which is exactly why I have not yet run out on goodwill towards DF.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2014, 15:44.

News Comments > Broken Age Part Two Next Year
2. Re: Broken Age Part Two Next Year Nov 30, 2014, 14:31 Sho

Pretty sad in a way. Between the lackluster The Cave, Spacebase presumably being cancelled due to bad sales, the publisher pulling out on their mystery project and missing Christmas with this, I think Double Fine might be in serious existential trouble now. You certainly see a lot of anxiety and nervousness around finances in the Broken Age documentary lately. Unless they get lucky on something I think they'll at the very least continue to downsize, and maybe not survive 2015.  

News Comments > Grass Simulator Early Access
14. Re: Grass Simulator Early Access Nov 14, 2014, 18:12 Sho

SirKnight wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 11:14:
Just watch, next there will be a Paint Drying Simulator.

Friends of mine actually used to work on simulating drying paint (as part of paint mixing behavior) for the brush engine system in a fairly well-known painting app.

644 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo