Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grass Simulator Early Access
14. Re: Grass Simulator Early Access Nov 14, 2014, 18:12 Sho

SirKnight wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 11:14:
Just watch, next there will be a Paint Drying Simulator.

Friends of mine actually used to work on simulating drying paint (as part of paint mixing behavior) for the brush engine system in a fairly well-known painting app.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jon Shafer's At The Gates Video
2. Re: Jon Shafer's At The Gates Video Oct 17, 2014, 19:04 Sho

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 16:27:
Wow, this looks really cool.

Seconded, this looks great.

News Comments > Star Citizen CitizenCon Trailers
10. Re: Star Citizen CitizenCon Trailers Oct 16, 2014, 14:55 Sho

Total-Khaos wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 11:32:
I find it absolutely hilarious that they have already had conventions for an unreleased / unfinished game.

You know, I went to Red Thread Games' JourneyCon in their native Oslo last winter (RTG are the folks doing the sequel to The Longest Journey and Dreamfall), and had a complete blast. ~350 incredibly nice, mature gamers of around my (and I suspect our, following the Blue's mean) age and proclivities in one spot. And the game's only coming out next week now. No regrets!

News Comments > GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles
10. Re: GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles Oct 15, 2014, 16:55 Sho

jimnms wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 07:43:
You could already play any of the Infinity Engine games on Linux with GemRB.

Convenience matters. More so for Linux, even, since it has to shake the rep of requiring tinkering.

News Comments > etc., etc.
19. Re: etc., etc. Oct 8, 2014, 21:04 Sho

NKD wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 20:11:
Who the fuck is this guy even? And what is that website?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Garrett

He's a pretty key member of the Linux community, which today means a pretty large part of the tech industry - you interact with this guy's code in some capacity several times a day, promise. This isn't earth-shattering, but it does have some real-world impact.

News Comments > Game Reviews
29. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 18:49 Sho

nin wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 18:37:
Sho wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 18:29:
I guess I missed out on something, I have no idea why you're all up in arms about these sites ... well ok Kotaku is awful, but I really enjoy that Movie Bob guy on The Escapist.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/155177/etc-etc (second link)

Thanks, very interesting.

(Off-topic, but: I've seen similar things in other walks of life, professional and otherwise. People can't resist joining secret clubs; even when they know they're a bad idea, once they're confronted with the possibility of being left out, they cave. And they always end up getting abused, e.g. people taking things secret that should be out in the open, due to the self-confirming aspect of talking among the cool kids. You'd think journalists would be in one of the best possible situations awareness-wise to resist, but I guess not. If you ever find yourself in a community/team/whatever that comes up with the idea of forming a secret side-channel for 'core people', even for benign reasons like avoiding noise, try to push back. It's a path to toxicity and ruin.)

27. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 18:29 Sho

I guess I missed out on something, I have no idea why you're all up in arms about these sites ... well ok Kotaku is awful, but I really enjoy that Movie Bob guy on The Escapist.  

22. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 17:37 Sho

PHJF wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 17:14:
Gametrailers says there is a chunk of the game during which there is no Alien, and the enemy is instead a bunch of androids. W. T. F.

Uh ... so? Androids are a pretty big part of the Alien mythos. Minor spoilter territory: The game is set on a derelict space station built by a smaller, once up-and-coming and ambitious competitor to Weyland-Yutani who got in way over their heads. Much like W-Y they tried their hand at androids, but theirs are clunky and lack finesse, appearing more like crash test dummies. Same bent for killing, though.

This is called world-building.

20. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 17:00 Sho

Task wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:56:
I hear that its kind of short

I see several reviews complain that it's too long and feels padded in places, perhaps mainly because of bad editing (apparently the first climax in the story feels like the "best ending" and then there are several more). The Joystiq review has a good paragraph on that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue - Paradox Sale Oct 3, 2014, 16:45 Sho

TorchMaster wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:43:
Strategy Fans, with the Paradox sale going on, if you could buy only one would it be Europa Universalis 4 or Crusader Kings 2?

For me: EUIV, because I'm currently studying Korean and EUIV implements Korea, but CK2 doesn't. That's a super-niche reason that probably doesn't matter to you.

18. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 16:42 Sho

Verno wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 15:29:
So, broken AI on the one hand, great dynamic AI on the other? One of these two is lying.

Or the AI is very dynamic and people are having varying experiences with it. I find some of the Ars writers to be pretty poor "gamers" and often their complaints seem like scapegoating bad player habits. It's quite possible Sam at Ars was making mistakes he didn't realize or to be fair, perhaps the guy at PC Gamer is fluffing it up because he didn't understand the interactions that well.

I think it's fair to say the people at Ars aren't exactly seasoned gamers like the folks here, yeah. However, on some level that mostly means they're not used to (and comfortable with) the same sort of tropes and flaws that "games just have", and being in that situation still makes you eligible to have an opion of course, and they probably have an audience for it, too. But we're not that audience, I guess, so the opinion doesn't necessarily mean much for us. Different types of gamers, as it were.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 16:39 Sho

NKD wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:19:
Start a Patreon to cover costs. I'm sure many of us would be willing to pitch in, especially if you offer some good rewards like permanently banning Cutter.

Fuck me. Maybe I'm extra-silly tonight, but I was innocently skimming along, hit that ending - and lost it.

Man I feel bad I didn't know that affiliate program, I spent quite some money on Amazon lately. Does it work internationally, though?

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
18. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 18:37 Sho

Fion wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 18:33:
I'm seriously considering Harmony just so I can own my own Kaiju for the express purpose of wrecking other peoples shit.

You know, I actually only got around to watching the 10m vid after the earlier discussion around that Ars preview link, and the vid's made me feel much better about my pre-order again. Yeah, the graphics still aren't what I'd like them to be (but no worse than Civ 5 either), but the quest line stuff is a tantalizing hint at opportunities for SMAC-style writing and I'm excited about getting to make all those choices on display ...

7. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 11:27 Sho

Task wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 11:05:
Interesting review there thanks. It read to me like he did not play Alpha Centauri or was not aware that an "alien" entry to the Civilization series existed. Future humans won't know about any prehumans named Ghandi or Abraham Lincoln the vampire slayer anyways. Its about creating new history of humanity somewhere else in the universe, which is more fascinating to me.

It's also worth remembering that Alpha Centauri had terrific writing. There's probably no second sandbox game, certainly no 4x game, that had that much flavor and somehow winds up telling a proper scifi story throughout a game because all the descriptive texts, factions, etc. are so well-put. I wonder how CBE will stack up there.

I also kind of agree with the guys' opinion on the graphics, BTW ... it's not a deal-breaker for me with these kinds of games, but I do wonder why Firaxis just can't seem to figure out how to render things crisp and not washed out. I'm not expecting bling, but in a highly abstract, systems-driven game like that easy-to-read and punchy visualization is directly relevant to gameplay IMHO.

2. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 10:44 Sho

Task wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 10:31:
This is one game I feel like pre-ordering. In any case first day buy for me. Harmony all the way, humanity will not repeat its previous mistakes!

I pre-ordered it a while ago, but I thought this surprisingly negative preview was interesting: Click me

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailers
7. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Sep 25, 2014, 21:30 Sho

Quinn wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 21:23:
Fucking hell that game was awesome, wasn't it? I remember reading a diary, ingame, about how she looked outside the window and into the distance at figures dancing around a group of standing stones at night. After that I looked outside the window ingame and saw the stones in the distance and imagined how scary it must've been for the girl who wrote the diary. So immersive and scary as woman you hear wailing right behind your cellardoor.

Yeah!

The writing was really good, and they had this gameplay mechanic that sounds gimmicky on paper but was totally awesome in practice: The protagonist had a magic stone he could use to view the location he was in in a flashback to the past. It was used sparingly for puzzles (observe activity in the past to gain the info you need now), but mostly for mood-setting and storytelling, and it really worked. And they were generally so good at staging and timing. And I don't mean jump-scare timing but really elaborate multi-room stuff.

The game isn't flawless, it was hampered a bit by technical limitations. They had a plan to sell a PS2 version (which never materialized), so they kept the levels small and had a lot of loading screens. The last act is really action-driven and becomes a bit repetitive. The indoor locations also had a frustrating amount of "try every door to find out which ones you can open" going on. But there is such a large number of memorable moments throughout the flaws kind of recede into the background.

Modern classic of the art form, folks. Don't miss out.

4. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Sep 25, 2014, 20:46 Sho

DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 20:31:
Generally I find games that try to be scary more stupid than frightening.

You're not wrong. The only actually-frightening game I can think of is the overlooked gem Undying.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2014, 21:04.

2. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Sep 25, 2014, 19:35 Sho

Please be good please be good please be good.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
48. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 18:13 Sho

Quboid wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 18:10:
Fallout 3 and New Vegas felt like Elder Scrolls games and I am entirely happy about this.

My 2 cents: Fallout 3 got the gameplay right, but Bethesda simply can't write dialog or create memorable characters to save their lives. New Vegas retained the gameplay and amped up the writing massively (which includes creates a gamespace with actually interesting social dynamics) and was a much better game for it overall. NV might just be my favorite Fallout, actually.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
42. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 16:39 Sho

I played for a few hours, but I'll be honest: The graphics are just too fugly, and it doesn't make up for it in character in any other way yet. If I'm not hooked at the 10h mark I'll call it quits.  

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo