Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sho

Real Name Sho   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2002, 23:49
Total Comments 715 (Apprentice)
User ID 13167

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2015, 22:07 Sho

I'm going to be in Seoul throughout August; if anyone from the Blue's community needs anything from there get in touch and we can look into it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Life is Strange Episode 4 Next Week
2. Re: Life is Strange Episode 4 Next Week Jul 23, 2015, 22:05 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 11:56:
Spoilers galore! ;/

How is the series holding up? I played Ep1 and enjoyed it, but haven't had any time since.

News Comments > YAGER's Dead Island 2 Statement
6. Re: YAGER's Dead Island 2 Statement Jul 15, 2015, 21:00 Sho

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 20:46:
[...] their constraints are a bit like Cuddy supervising House.

I miss that show.

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped
6. Re: Dead Island 2 Developer Dropped Jul 14, 2015, 21:02 Sho

Not sure what to think. Spec Ops has aged really really well in my mind; the more I think back to it, partly prompted by reading new opinions about it, the more impressed I am. It's really a remarkable achievement. And it's a bit titilating that it was made in my hometown.

So I definitely want to see more stuff by YAGER, but I was a bit disappointed when their next gig was going to be a Dead Island follow-up. Not going to cry any tears about this in that sense, but now I'm worried about their financial future.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth E3 Trailer
3. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth E3 Trailer Jun 30, 2015, 20:03 Sho

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 18:09:
I wish I could go back in time and slap myself when I thought buying this game was a good idea.

/thread

News Comments > Lost Horizon 2 Announced
1. Re: Lost Horizon 2 Announced Jun 25, 2015, 20:22 Sho

Great news! I really enjoyed the first one.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion Details; Patch Plans
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion Details; Patch Plans Jun 25, 2015, 09:39 Sho

As someone who mostly plays for story & atmo, I the AI stuff sounds pretty good. Opting into micro management is nice.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Engine Video
24. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Engine Video Jun 19, 2015, 11:38 Sho

nin wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 13:49:

Yeah, that's generally the first "feature" I turn off.

For me it's motion blur.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 19, 2015, 11:34 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 06:45:
Yeah but ask yourself this, would you run an exe inside your browser? Because that's what it is at the end of the day.

No? This runs sandboxed in the "JS" engine, nothing changes in that regard. Your criticisms all apply equally to JS, and if you're saying JS is different, you're perhaps suggesting lower performance is a security model - it isn't. Your scenario for "breaking out of the sandbox" is bit overdramatic because it's not like WebAssembly runs on your CPU or can call system APIs. This isn't a Windows PE executable.

Ironically, Chrome has been shipping a sandbox that runs actual x86 machine code for years btw: NaCl. No browser vendor other than Google themselves decided to support it.

The one thing to be suspicious of is that bytecode isn't source code, but a lower form you can't easily reverse - but the same is true of minified JS already. Relying on readable source code for security in turn is security by obscurity, which doesn't work either.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 18, 2015, 20:51 Sho

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 13:29:
Because flash, java and silverlight wasn't bad enough, another shitty binary blob that will have access to system resources no web api should ever have.

Or better put, fuck WebAssembly and everyone peddling that insecure shit. IF Firefox actually enforces this without option I am going to change browsers...

As a counter-view: The web is really being held back in terms of performance/quality/security by its reliance on JavaScript, which is a pretty terrible language. Any attempt to get browsers to pick up support for a different language has failed. Right now the only way to deploy code written in another language is to compile it to JavaScript as an intermediary. This has been improved by deciding on the asm.js subset as a compiler and optimization target for JS engine implementors, but it's still pretty crummy. Having a bytecode format to target is a lot more reasonable. Not having to use JavaScript anymore would be pretty awesome.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Engine Video
13. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Engine Video Jun 17, 2015, 22:53 Sho

Acleacius wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 22:09:
I can still see the yellow filter.

I liked it. Hate that the DC version removed it and dulled down the look of the game.

Video looks stunning.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Next Year
6. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Next Year Jun 16, 2015, 21:49 Sho

TangledThorns wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 21:25:
This is the best E3 since 2004! That being said, this trailer showcased the best graphics I've ever seen. This is the game that my PC upgrade is waiting for next year. Oh yeah!

I should maybe specify, the reason I'm not too wow'ed by the trailer yet is that one of the things I ended up loving about DX:HR was the design of the various civilian environs, textiles, etc. - the interior design/decoration of some of the buildings and the fashion worn by various characters was just incredibly rich. This trailer doesn't really confirm whether they kept that up, since the environments it shows off are a lot more same-y and muddled.

There's also some graphics things that irk me in there, e.g. the super-heavy ambient occlusion shadowing around Jensen as he takes cover behind that crate - I thought we were past that clumsy artifacting with naive SSAO now.

None of this really breaks the game, there's some stunning stuff in there too (e.g. those vistas of urban sprawl), and I'm willing to assume they'll tweak things further along with having much more in the game they're not showing yet.

News Comments > Bethesda E3 Showcases
1. Re: Bethesda E3 Showcases Jun 16, 2015, 20:26 Sho

Something about Doom feels a bit off. The enemies stand around very statically at times. I like the minimalist HUD/UI, though.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Next Year
2. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Next Year Jun 16, 2015, 20:18 Sho

Trailer honestly doesn't really wow me yet, but these guys basically restored my faith in AAA games when they dropped HR (I didn't think you could make a worthy successor to Deus Ex at the time), so I'm not really concerned.  

News Comments > Division 9 Footage
10. Re: Division 9 Footage Jun 3, 2015, 19:59 Sho

Task wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 18:17:
Weird it reminds of Rainbow Six or SWAT, ordering your squad around, but with zombies instead.

They had made SWAT 4 just before.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
32. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 12:34 Sho

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 12:14:
That's the problem for me. I look at this and think 'I've played this before'. I really couldn't get into New Vegas as it seemed like a Fallout 3 mod and I'd just burnt myself out completing that. The environments all look the same.

That's a shame. F:NV is a vastly better game, thanks to thoughtful world design and good writing. The problem here is that there's no reason anything like this from a Bethesda game.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
25. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 11:59 Sho

This looks like a Fallout 3 mod. I could live with that if Bethesda had decent writers around, but they don't. No interest for now.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 31, 2015, 09:59 Sho

I'm about to spend August in Seoul, going to be interesting to see first hand what sort of presence gaming has there in daily life.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 19, 2015, 23:29 Sho

FWIW - it is worth reading up on Aaron Swartz a little. This is a dreadfully bad, juvenile article.

Aaron was a flawed human being, but the breadth and ingenuity of what he did in his short life, and the number of people he touched with his actions - including you - is staggering. There is no doubt in my mind he was one of the brightest flames of his generation.

News Comments > Open Source MAME
8. Re: Open Source MAME May 16, 2015, 17:58 Sho

Ant wrote on May 16, 2015, 17:27:
I was surprised it wasn't already under open source license.

As a project it operated quite closely to a regular open source project, in terms of allowing external code contributions, even without central copyright assignment. It's just that the license contributors agreed their code would be released under had a bunch of restrictions that made it fail to meet the open source bar, like disallowing commercial use.

Switching the license involved asking everyone with copyright on the code for consent. Having been involved in similar things in the past I'd be really curious to see the stats of how long that took and what percentage of the contributor base they were succesful in contacting. Considering the age of the project and what I'd expect to be a fair number of pairs of hands, it'd be remarkable if they didn't have any code left in limbo.

715 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo