Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeremy Dunn

Real Name Jeremy Dunn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Undead Scottsman
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2002, 22:19
Total Comments 563 (Apprentice)
User ID 13142

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > E3 Nears
9. Re: Um... Apr 15, 2005, 23:44 Undead Scottsman

While Nintendo hasn't being doing much in the sniping between Microsoft and Sony, they have said they're going to show the first demonstration of hte revolution at E3.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > E3 Nears
7. Re: Yawn... Apr 15, 2005, 19:38 Undead Scottsman

The three new consoles are going to be the big thing at E3 this year; but I'm also looking forward to Will Wright's Spore. Not much else, though, unless Quake IV shows up.

News Comments > DOOM Movie Delayed
20. Re: Seriously... Apr 14, 2005, 08:50 Undead Scottsman

The riddick game came out for Xbox first, so I'm not surprised you missed it, now that I think about it. The PC version came out more recently. The thing about the Riddick game was that it pretty much did all the neat tricks from Doom 3 (Realtime lighting and super-bumpmaps.. no in-game GUI pda's though) and did it months before the Doom 3 even came out. Plus it was an extremly good game to boot...

The movie was a popcorn action movie, but I liked it. The game was lightyears ahead of it though.
This comment was edited on Apr 14, 08:54.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Update - New DM Maps
16. Re: Apr 14, 2005, 08:46 Undead Scottsman

For the record, I find HL2: DM the absolute most fun incarnation of straight-up DM ever. I still can't play it for more than an hour or so, but christ does th gravity gun make for some of the funniest gameplay ever.

News Comments > HL2 DM Maps & Aftermath Details Soon
25. Re: The Professional & Vacs are right Apr 12, 2005, 00:55 Undead Scottsman

The problem with internet message boards is it kind of takes away from the 'you like to hear the sound of your voice' joke.

News Comments > EA's College Football Exclusive
5. Re: WTF ? Apr 11, 2005, 11:46 Undead Scottsman

What's next? The rights to the XFL?

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Update Plans
8. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2005, 01:10 Undead Scottsman

The slam was a satchel charge in the HL2 alpha.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 01:58.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 EULA Legal Issues?
168. Re: Common Sense Award for Posting Feb 9, 2005, 23:41 Undead Scottsman

You missed my point. If I download CUSTOM maps or models or even valve bonus stuff. I should be able to remove those items and clean up stuff I don't want anymore when I run low on disk space. Steam's private filesystem doesn't give me ( the end used ) any control over where or how big or what is stored in those massive files.

Anything that isn't an official Valve thingy goes into your /model folder or /map folder just like it has since the original Quake. You can delete, install and backup that crap as much as you want. (Case in point, my custom HL2 maps are in the directory D:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\undeadscottsman\half-life 2\hl2\maps\)

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn
This comment was edited on Feb 9, 23:42.

News Comments > Help Wanted
10. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2005, 14:52 Undead Scottsman

Okay people: Blizzard North != Blizzard Entertainment. There is cross-over between the two companies, but really, they ARE seperate companies.

Secondly, well over half of the core team behind StarCraft still works at Blizzard, and contributed to WoW. Saying all the talent is gone is pretty much bullshit.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

News Comments > Half-Life 2 EULA Legal Issues?
145. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2005, 06:11 Undead Scottsman

Actually they said they would be releasing more info on TF2 after HL2 came out...

'course, said info is as equally absent as the game.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

News Comments > HL2 DM & Source Engine Update Plans
53. Re: The original HDR Feb 6, 2005, 02:15 Undead Scottsman

Originally they weren't supporting FSAA due to how their texturing system worked.. FSAA fucked it up somehow.. Luckily instead of just not including it, they caved to popular demand and made a work-a-round or something.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

51. Re: valve is on crack Feb 5, 2005, 23:52 Undead Scottsman

It's the baton the manhacks used.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=313

Whoa, that's just a whole mess of wrong. First of all, those are Combine soldiers (Well, Civil Protection Officers), not manhacks (Which were the flying buzzsaws). Second of all, that baton is called a Stunstick (Which will also be added to HL2 DM). Thirdly, the "Slam" was, in the leak at least, a satchel charge.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

News Comments > New Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Map
2. Re: Hey, I just realized this: Feb 5, 2005, 16:30 Undead Scottsman

Gold mines are everywhere, man Most of the caves in the human territories are goldmines.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

47. Re: valve is on crack Feb 5, 2005, 16:18 Undead Scottsman

Content?

-HL2 DM
-CS Source bots
-New CS source maps (de_tides and de_prodigy)

Plus there's upcoming stuff
-New HL2 DM maps (Valve made and contest winners)
-New HL2 DM weapons
-New CS source maps
-New HL2 sp maps

How is that not content?

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

News Comments > Source Engine Update
21. Re: Why Can't they fix the Hack Exploit? Feb 4, 2005, 01:16 Undead Scottsman

It would help if they actually turned cheat detection ON. It's apparently on their "to-do" list.. probably somewhere after the group seppuku.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

News Comments > Darwinia Demo Plans
14. Re: For the masses Jan 29, 2005, 18:28 Undead Scottsman

Great marketing! Insult your prospective clients by telling them they're too stupid to use your product. No, it's not your product, it's everyone else.

They said they were surprised at the response and would be taking steps to correct the issue with a new demo. Where's the insult?

EDIT: I mean, they seem to be accomondating towards the players; They're not pulling a Sony here (The sticky button is SUPPOSED to be like that).

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn
This comment was edited on Jan 29, 18:31.

News Comments > More WoW Woes
64. Re: Lets try this: Jan 27, 2005, 02:33 Undead Scottsman

You shouldn't even mention Metzen. The guy is a hack and a plaguerist. He does nothing but take the work of his underlings and claim all the credit for it.
Got any proof? Any at all?

By the way, you're a moron if you think Jeff Strain only designed campaigns.

He designed the Warcraft 3/WOW engine as well as the multiplayer in WC3. He also created the basis of the WOW multiplayer code. I doubt that's even been improved since his departure.
Hmm, I was talking about his work on StarCraft (Since many people seem to think that Blizzard's work started going downhill from there.. indeed, I thought WoW apparently sucked, which is why we know Blizzard isn't as good as it used to be?)

Although, if the code hadn't been improved since his departure, as ludicrous as that sounds, I guess it would be his fault that the game sucks

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn
This comment was edited on Jan 27, 04:00.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
5. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2005, 21:27 Undead Scottsman

I just like how grossly they underestimated the game's potential. They got in six weeks what they expected to have in 12 months. In truth, I can see where they're coming from: MMORPG's a niche market: You don't expect them to break sales records.

However, there should have been some mandatory server migrations when things started getting crappy: As of right now, like 4/5ths of the population are on 1/2 of the servers. And implementing untested hardware/software combos on ten or more servers just has bad news written all over it.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

60. Lets try this: Jan 24, 2005, 02:53 Undead Scottsman

Okay, I got another way of looking at this that I think might show you what the hell I'm talking about. We all think StarCraft is a good game, right? A great game even? A game made when Blizzard was at its pinnacle, right? Okay, lets look at the core team and see who did what, according to the credits. Lets start with those guys who left Blizzard.

Bill Roper- Producer, "Manual Design and Layout"
Mike O'Brian- Programming, Battle.net Programming, Strike Team
Patrick Wyatt- Programming, Strike Team
James Phinney- Producer, Senior Designer, "Script and Story", Scenerio Design, Strike Team
Jeff Strain- Campaign Editor (I wouldn't even consider this guy part of the "core team")

Looks pretty bad; the game lost two of it's producers, one of it's senior designer, two programmers (One of whom was working on B.net), the guy who made the campaign editor and three members of the SC strike team (The Strike Team, of course, is the team that ultimatly decides upon whether or not the direction of the game is what it should be.)

Looks like a big hit, doesn't it. (Heh, I didn't realize James Phinney was on that list as well. He must have joined Arenenet later, which is why he's listed so far down the page, not up with the founders. His loss makes things look a bit worse.) However, lets look at the rest of Blizzard's core team who are still working there.

Allen Adhem-Executive Producer, Strike Team
Mike Morhaime- Producer, Programming, Strike Team
Chris Metzen- Senior Designer, "Script and Story", Scenerio Design, "Manual Design and Layout", Manual Artwork, Strike Team
Bob Fitch- Lead Programmer, AI Programming, Strike Team
Samwise Didier- Art Director, Artwork, Manual Artwork, Strike Team
Glenn Stafford- Audio Producer, Music, Sound Design, "Voice Production, Direction and Casting"
Matt Samia- Director of Blizzard Film, Cinimatic director, Cinematic 3D Artist, Storyboard Artist

Ultimatly, those who left ammount to less than half of the original SC coreteam. Blizzard still has the Executive Producter(One of the original founders to boot), the Lead Programmer, the Art Director, the Audio Producer and the Cinimatic Director. Not to mention Metzen (Jeeze; did the guy ever sleep?) who was one of the senior designers, and Mike Morhaime, one of the other producers and original founders of Blizzard. And look, five of the original eight strike team members.

Sure, Blizzard has lost people over the years (I dare you to show me one company who hasn't), however, to say that those people were solely responsible for Blizzard game's being the quality they are is a disservice to the people they worked with.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

59. Re: WoW, who gives a rat's ass? Jan 24, 2005, 02:11 Undead Scottsman

The Schaeffer Brothers have left. They made Starcraft. The ArenaNet crew left. They made Battle.net AND Diablo 2.

Enough said. I suppose they're unimportant too. All hail the great Tigole, who by the way was just a QA boy prior to Warcraft 3.

You are GROSSLY misinformed.. The Shaeffer brothers founded Blizzard North; they had nothing to do with StarCraft. (Seriously, try to find them in the SC manual) The Arena.net crew did play a big role in Battle.net, but they worked for Blizzard Ent, not Blizzard North and, like http://www.arenanet.com/about/team.html says, they never worked on Diablo II in any capacity to credit them with "they made Diablo II" (They wouldn't have done anything beyond cross-company crunch time help, and aid with Battle.net implementation). Jeeze, disagree with me if you want, but get you facts straight!

Oh, and a lot more than just Tigole are still at Blizzard. A LOT more.

When the freaking Team Leader and Lead Programmer of a project leaves, you know the project went down the toilet at some point. In this case, that project was World of Warcraft.

Fine, beleive what you want to believe. One guy is responsible for an entire project, encompassing over 200 people, being not being up to your standards (Even though this guys apparent "big thing" is that he made the StarCraft campaign editor. He wasn't even the leader programmer on SC, let alone it's team leader.) Whatever, you guys are going to see Blizzard as an evil, heartless organization that's a shell of it's former self no matter WHAT I say.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 03:00.

563 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo