Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Somedude

Real Name Somedude   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jomisab
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 21, 2002, 13:50
Total Comments 327 (Amateur)
User ID 13101

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
100. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 23:37 jomisab

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:26:
jomisab wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 23:06:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:40:
jomisab wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:21:
First off, Steam taking 75% is just insane, insulting, indefensible, and I'm sure a lot of other in- words.

It's a good thing they're not taking 75% then, huh?

Perhaps I should have worded it differently? How about "the content creator only getting 25% is just insane..."

You knew what I meant...

Well, no, that's a different statement entirely. We don't know how much Valve is getting, just that Bethesda chose to give the modder the standard rate (established previous to this whole thing) of 25%.

I'm pretty sure everyone else knew what was meant. And perhaps you'd like to do a quick Google on "steam mods 75%"...every gaming news org terms it that way (i.e. "Steam is taking"), because from the perspective of the mod makers (which is all that really matters), it's 75% they're not getting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

96. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 23:06 jomisab

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:40:
jomisab wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:21:
First off, Steam taking 75% is just insane, insulting, indefensible, and I'm sure a lot of other in- words.

It's a good thing they're not taking 75% then, huh?

Perhaps I should have worded it differently? How about "the content creator only getting 25% is just insane..."

You knew what I meant...

90. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 22:21 jomisab

First off, Steam taking 75% is just insane, insulting, indefensible, and I'm sure a lot of other in- words. At most, they should be taking 30% like Apple. This is TotalBiscuit's biggest gripe with the whole thing...he has a good commentary on it.

Second, for a game like Skyrim, if you're going to be running with many dozens of mods, the Workshop is absolutely worthless. You need to have good mod management, mod sorting, conflict resolution, a bashed patch, etc. If the best mods are going to be taken off the Nexus because of this, then Bethesda better have a plan for future games to have 100% conflict-free modding, regardless of the number of mods. Naturally, I think there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Probably the best we can hope for is that the backlash continues to be strong, the whole thing is a failure, and Steam bails on it.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide
13. Re: Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide Apr 22, 2015, 12:43 jomisab

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 12:38:
siapnar wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 12:00:
Have any of you noticed a specific setting that cause fps drops or judder?

Advanced distance scaling seems to do this for me even if set low on the slider.
Mind you, I have no other advanced options enabled.

GTX 970 here as well

I've only noticed the in-game v-sync cripples performance on my 970 while forcing vsync from the nvidia control panel works fine. Otherwise settings are at or near high.

Very strange. I'm running 970 SLI, and the in-game vsync makes everything extremely smooth.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Patched
2. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patched Apr 21, 2015, 20:10 jomisab

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 20:07:
I should buy this.. huh?

Yep.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video
32. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 20, 2015, 14:37 jomisab

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 14:28:
siapnar wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 13:55:
Cutter wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 13:47:
just go to teh Youtubes and watch some Unreal 4 engine demos. Now if 5 was using that, it'd be worth crowing about. Oh but wait, consoles can't handle that sort of work.
HA

I love Unreal Engine 4, but a game with GTA V's graphical and overall complexity using UE4 would probably run at half the speed, if that

Right. Tech demos are nice to look at, but there's no game there. You're almost comparing a pre-rendered video to an interactive environment, like people complaining that video games don't look as good as Pixar movies. Those tech demos run with little to no user input, and no "world" running behind the scenes. They are Best Case Scenarios.
For what you can do in GTAV, it's a damn good looking game, and it runs far better than most games that start on consoles. They actually gave a shit about how the PC version ran, and it shows. Worth every penny.

Now I wish they'd make the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls using the GTAV engine.

Rockstar has really mastered the art/tech of huge draw distances without annoying pop-in. Everything transitions so smoothly, it's amazing.

11. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 20, 2015, 10:23 jomisab

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 10:21:
I wonder what the requirements would be if this were a Ubisoft title and port.

If it were Ubisoft, SLI would not work, and it would be a stutterfest on all but the lowest settings.

Hopefully Ubi learns some lessons for Watch Dogs 2.

7. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 20, 2015, 09:40 jomisab

It is really amazing what Rockstar has done here. I have 970 SLI as well, and I'm probably averaging in the high 50's with 2560x1440, everything maxed except for Grass at Very High and the distance scaling halfway across the slider. Also using 2x MSAA + TXAA.

The thing is, even when the framerate drops, it still feels smooth. I've turned off fraps as I'm just not having any performance issues. What a difference between this and GTA IV.

News Comments > GTA5 GeForce Drivers
34. Re: GTA5 GeForce Drivers Apr 14, 2015, 09:08 jomisab

Played for a short while last night before forcing myself to go to bed at 2am. Performance looks pretty good. On my 1680x1050 monitor, maxing everything and getting 60fps is no issue. Moving over to my 2560x1440 monitor, however, requires lowering detail to get consistent 60fps...and that's with a 970 SLI setup.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V 60FPS PC Trailer
20. Re: Grand Theft Auto V 60FPS PC Trailer Apr 2, 2015, 13:38 jomisab

Blahman wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 13:12:
Wonder if my GTX 970 SLIs can handle this at 4K. Probably not, thanks to the 3.5GB thing. GTA IV was a total VRAM hog.

I'm optimistic my 970 SLI rig will provide a great experience. I won't be running at 4K, but I'm expecting some level of DSR on my 1050 monitor with most, if not all, goodies cranked.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
3. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 13:21 jomisab

Verno wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 13:18:
Reviews have been stellar, can't wait to dig into it. Gonna be impossible playing this and Bloodborne at the same time but I'll manage!

Happy problems!

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
1. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 13:14 jomisab

Dropped $250 on the Kickstarter for this. Here's hoping...

P.S. I did not play the Beta. Didn't want to spoil anything.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
11. Re: Morning Screenshots Mar 25, 2015, 13:50 jomisab

Leper wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 12:46:
If only it were playable at that (or any) resolution.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about performance, despite the catastrophe that was GTA4.

That said, if anyone's thinking they will be able to max out everything at high resolution and/or uber-AA on anything less than a killer rig (i.e. 970+SLI), they're probably just kidding themselves.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots Mar 25, 2015, 08:53 jomisab

<Flamebait>
OMG LULZ...PC MASTER RACE!!!
</Flamebait>

How was that?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released
3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 13:59 jomisab

Let's not forget collecting herbs and rock samples as well.

They should have had a mechanism for sending minions to do such menial work for the Inquisitor.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 19, 2015, 09:01 jomisab

But they'll still cripple it, and everyone will be so impressed that it's a whopping 50% faster than a GTX980. If they were to release a new video card that came anywhere near a 10x increase over Maxwell, it would cost $10,000.  

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
38. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 12:20 jomisab

Good thing SSD prices keep falling. Upgraded my dedicated game drive recently to a 512GB MX100 for $190. Will probably see 1TB drives in that price range within a year or two, and by then 100GB games will likely be common. Shadow of Mordor is currently sucking up 55GB by itself.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2015, 19:40 jomisab

100 down / 35 up here with Cablevision for $60/month, and that's very consistent.

I just pray to all-that-is-holy they never get bought out.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Play Dragon Age: Inquisition free for six hours on Xbox One this week. Mar 11, 2015, 15:42 jomisab

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 11:17:
And never make it out of the Hinterlands!

More like never make it out of the character creator.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic
3. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic Mar 6, 2015, 14:09 jomisab

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 13:45:
I love how they don't show the water not reacting at all when he steps/falls into it. I also like how someone at Epic clearly doesn't understand how kites work. At all. XD

That may have required a hex-SLI setup instead of just quad.

327 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo