Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Xil

Real Name Xil   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Xil
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 29, 2002, 19:42
Total Comments 309 (Amateur)
User ID 12935

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 23, 2014, 01:36 Xil

Fantaz wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 23:13:
speaking of racing movies, Need of Speed was actually a pretty decent flick. was very good in terms of a video game based movie also.

you need to put a /sarcasm tag there.... I hope that was sarcasm ... wasn't it ?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 23, 2014, 01:31 Xil

Cutter wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 16:43:
Ok, the guy was an obvious dick but 3 years form what amounts to the theft of a $5 DVD? Universal lost 5 million bucks? And how did they do that exactly? So that's what they're really charging this guy with and they have no way to prove it whatsoever. Now that's scary. At most the guy should be treated like any other shoplifter, which is to say a slap on the wrist because this sort of shit ends up costing the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars on behalf of a company that doesn't pay taxes to begin with.

the story is not really telling the whole thing from what I read over here in dutch media. He continued distributing even one he was invited for the trail (sorry not sure how you say that in english) and sold link to the movies via facebook. The fact his partner in crime only got a light sentence also shows there was more to this.

None the less, 3 years is crazy, but then if you read http://torrentfreak.com/ and see what the movies lobby has for power all over the world its scary, they can get judges to take down websites even if they are not located in the US at all and even without first contacting the owner, take over their google dashboards etc. etc. somehow they gotten it so far that down/up loading a movie is a bigger crime then a hit and run.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
1. Re: Saturday Interviews Aug 16, 2014, 10:19 Xil

what the point in call it kings quest then ? Those who know the games from the past will expect a point and click adventure. Those not knowing the name from the past wont buy it because its called kings quest.....  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Stupid Petent of the Month Aug 5, 2014, 13:04 Xil

a. take a telephone call from patient
b. record patient info in a patient file
c. send patient information to a doctor, ask the doctor if she wants to talk to the patient
d. call the patient back and transfer the call to the doctor
e. record the call
f. add the recorded call to the patient file and send to doctor
g. do steps a–f with a computer

lol !

more serious though, is there a patent on posting to a forum ... um...../running to patent office !

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Aug 1, 2014, 14:00 Xil

gilly775 wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 13:44:
That and make it easier to get Steam running on OpenSuse. Really like the layout/feel of that distro.

add the games:tool repo and there it is

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games:/tools/openSUSE_13.1/

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Aug 1, 2014, 11:43 Xil

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 11:15:
When Linux becomes as easy as Windows and games run the same way under it then people will adopt. Otherwise it'll always be a pipe dream.

Cutter, not sure if you used it lately or not, but if for example you take the opensuse 13.1 then for normal use it is, no need for drivers as 99% is in the kernel. Heck even put it on mums (76) laptop and she's fine with it for last 3 years. So for normal user I feel its easy, but well before people actually try it

Game its nother thing, I agree

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Aug 1, 2014, 10:22 Xil

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 10:03:
Something like 1.5% of Steam users use Linux, according to statistics I saw recently.

I am one of those 1,5%, although since not ubuntu I am one of the 0.x% which they don't split out

If I where still young with loads of time I don't think it would keep me happy but as I am older the few games I do play run fine and to be honest I don't mind tinkering a bit to get it working in wine.

For all other purposes my linux desktop (KDE) is just fine, thunderbird for the mail, firefox/chrome for the web, amarok for the music (beats many windows players tbh), digicam for the pictures and libre office is more then enough for the little excel/word I do at home.

I don't think it will become bigger then Mac as a gaming platform to be honest

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2014, 10:27.

News Comments > NeonXSZ on Steam Next Month
1. Re: NeonXSZ on Steam Next Month Jul 28, 2014, 11:47 Xil

looks pretty cool, got a good Descent vibe from that, going on me list  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jul 12, 2014, 13:21 Xil

can't wait for the linux port on DoS Reviews are all quite positivie yet many don't really give it the high numbers which I find odd. Maybe not enough PR done by Larian Studios ?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 12, 2014, 01:49 Xil

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2014, 16:21:
Aww, poor Google. Life just must be so tough and unfair.

They can never do this right, person X wants something to be forgotten but turns out he is a politician and what he wants to have removed/forgotten is actually how he got caught doing something wrong..... which because he is a politician is actually good for the public to know.

I bet 99% of those 70.000 requests is stuff like that.

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
16. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:18 Xil

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:07:
Flak wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:51:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:39:
Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:09:
I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.

How exactly did they 'fucked over' the pc users 'too many times'? Yeah Watch Dogs has some graphical things turned off because they cause some serious issues with the lighting engine, but again I'm curious.

Much like how EA has utterly destroyed the Battlefield franchise, Ubisoft has obliterated everything Tom Clancy related, at least if you're an actual fan of the original games and not the bile they call the current ones.

Ubisoft also has a terrible track record pre-'DRM' with Securom going back to Chaos Theory and Farcry 1. UPlay is a fucking joke and another useless layer of bloatware I don't need on my system. Their customer service rivals EA in terms of poor quality. Titles purchased or 'owned' on UPLAY are not available to be claimed on any other service (ie. I got some Ubisoft games with a video card and could not redeem them on Steam, even though 99.9% of my library is on Steam). Many Ubisoft games require post-install .ini tweaks so they don't look like complete ass on PC.

*yawn*

EA destroying franchises is one thing, but Tom Clancy's involvement with Ubisoft ended a long time ago.

The always online DRM issue was taken care of years ago, as Chaos Theory was released in 2005 and Far Cry in 2004. Customer Service I can't say either way, but I haven't heard any out cryings of horrible support either.
Now about Uplay itself. They give you free games, offered by Ubisoft, and your surprised you can't redeem them anywhere else but Uplay? Really? But yet it's ok for EA to do this? Please pick a double standard and stick to it.

Post install ini tweaking?!? People have been doing this since fucking QUAKE!

Do I care for Uplay? Not really. But I will give them credit that if I do something in one of their games, I can use those points to unlock something in another Uplay game (Used Driver San Fran to unlock stuff in Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 4, and Watch Dogs). But Ubisoft really has turned around from where they were 10 years ago.
Great support for PC games, got rid of the Online DRM, good rewards beyond collecting cards on Steam.

I just don't understand why people are bitching about a company that fixed what people were bitching about years ago.

well said (or written) !

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons’ Jun 18, 2014, 10:38 Xil

although short I rank it up very high on my list of ever lasting game experiences.... loved it !  

15. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2014, 11:22 Xil

InBlack wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:15:
My point was that one man's decision to stand up in front of a court, a kangaroo court if there ever was one, and have his say changed the course of history for one nation more than anything anyone ever before him did. In today's day and age of self gratification, self protection, self esteem and ME ME ME culture, what is the ultimate sign of protest? A selfless sacrifice. I dont know, thats just me. I would follow a man like that. One who runs away? Dunno about that....

totally see your point, but times have changed, I truly doubt that in this age and time Nelson Mandela would have had the same impact as he had back then, the media (government controlled or not) flood people with new news. 4-5 weeks ago when there was little to no fighting in the Ukraine it was all over the news like WW3 was about to happen. Now with real fighting going on even the current weather seems more important on the news.

The masses get bored faster, would Snowden still have been able to keep the steady flow of news going if he had stayed in the USA, if not then he would have been yesterdays news pretty fast and to be honest give it a few more months and he will be, that dude that..... He still paying the price of living in exile for the rest of his life but I guess it beats Guantanamo bay or where ever they would have whisked him off too.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. reset the net Jun 5, 2014, 12:12 Xil

From a website with this cause I would except: no-cookies, no facebook/google stuff and nothing popping up on ghostery. aah well  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 1, 2014, 01:11 Xil

mag wrote on May 31, 2014, 15:16:
It's not like they have the ability to reprogram all of these old games. The source code of some of them doesn't even exist anymore! I'm perfectly okay with Wine.

totally agree, next to that you can't expect GoG to recode all these games and many of their list of games run fine on wine, so now you just download it without having to create a prefix

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - ibb & obb
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - ibb & obb May 26, 2014, 13:04 Xil

that looks like good fun with a friend !  

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 12, 2014, 10:12 Xil

InBlack wrote on May 12, 2014, 09:45:
While I applaud Google's (financially motivated) enthusiasm, isnt this headline, specifically this part "...Google money..." and by extension the article a fucking depressing and rather sad indicator of everything that is wrong with politics and our society today?

Regardless where you stand on this issue, or any other issue for that matter, its fucking horrific that corporate money trumps all.

Why dont we do away with voting alltogether, and just let the corporations choose who they want to represent them in any given country's government. Its the fucking reality today anyway...

corporation will (if not already) rule the world ... sad but true

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 11, 2014, 13:55 Xil

Dagnamit wrote on May 11, 2014, 13:42:

Questions, 1) does DS II do away with the respawn nonsense? 2) if that was the only part I hated about the first 15 minutes of DS, should I buy DS II, because I'm obviously a filthy casual? Thanks in advance!

1) yes, although after killing same mob for about 10 times it will not respawn
2) if you hated that part you will hate DS1, DS2 and Daemon Souls, because you will die, die a lot, there will be moments when you collected like 100.000 souls and the "smart parts" of your brain tells you to go lvl up but you "naa I be fine" tell you to just do a few mobs more , you will die and frustrated on the way to your death spot to collect 100.000 souls you will die again and lose them
3) DS2 adds the effect from Daemon Souls, where you not only lose humanity when you die but also about 10% of your max Health, making you die that little faster.

So to be honest, if you feel how you did about the first 15min then no DS2 is not for you. If you do stick it out till the 1st boss and kill him and feel that silly adrenaline rush simply because you killed a virtual monster then maybe DS2 might be for you, but go the DS1 route 1st I would say

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2014, 12:03 Xil

haha, those darksouls 2 stats, I know my death average was higher  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 18, 2014, 13:10 Xil

nin wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 11:07:
I don't believe so, but I'm not positive. They seem to be listening to folks (the next firmware is going to allow saving/exporting video to USB drives/devices, so we're not stuck with bookface) so I would encourage you to keep banging that drum and let them know.

ty

309 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo