Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 1786 (Pro)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Movies
13. Re: The Old Republic Movies Sep 8, 2009, 03:20 Muscular Beaver

The only "console retarded" game they made was Jade Empire, in my opinion. KotOR and Mass Effect are both excellent and had excellent PC ports.

When people dont notice that its a dumbed down console port on extremely obvious games like this, its a good sign that there are already far too many dumbed down console ports.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2009, 03:21.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II in November
16. Re: Assassin's Creed II in November Sep 3, 2009, 18:16 Muscular Beaver

I just hope the PC gets a proper control scheme this time (though I doubt it since so many hyped it) and this game is nowhere near as boring and repetitive as the first part. Ill buy very cautiously this time.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey Results
71. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 3, 2009, 12:37 Muscular Beaver

As I said, there are regularly some around on ebay. And as you can see, there is one right now.

No, it doesnt help heating the room. I wish, because its fucking cold in this room in winter.

- Mojo Jojo

68. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 3, 2009, 11:23 Muscular Beaver

Germans build strong tables, Verno.
Germans also wouldnt buy a 90 pound Monitor in the US.

- Mojo Jojo

65. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Sep 2, 2009, 18:03 Muscular Beaver

Yeah, I dread the day my CRT dies. I'm hoping that a new type of monitor is released by then that has all the strengths of CRT in addition to the size and convenience of LCDs.
Nah not me. Right now I am using the best CRT that has ever been made (Sony GDM FW900). I bought it used on ebay for 150 euro (original price was ~$2000 in 2001) and there are still some being sold regularly. So when it dies, I will just buy another one. But since I spent so much time with CRTs in my PC time, I know how long good ones last, so Im not really worried. My 9 year old NEC one still runs perfectly in my fathers firm for 12 hours a day.

However, I too hope for the OLED or laser technology. Prolly the true replacement for CRTs in all aspects.

The power consumption of CRTs is far higher, of course (mines at 120W I think), but I really dont care about that bit more I have to pay per year. I rather have a flawless experience in games than a few bucks more in my pocket.

EDIT:
Btw, reviews of the new 120 Hz TFTs report far less motion blur (but not completely gone) compared to 60 Hz ones.

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 18:21.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW
20. Re: Blizzard: New MMOG "Significantly Different" from WoW Sep 2, 2009, 06:59 Muscular Beaver

Im really interested in how different this game will be. Not because I want to play it but simply because I would like to know how this new development team is able to build another MMO, since most of the original WoW dev team left Blizzard shortly before its release IIRC.  

- Mojo Jojo

45. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 2, 2009, 04:22 Muscular Beaver

Ive talked to an editor of the biggest and best German (and prolly English one too) TFT testing website (prad.de - notice the english button) and he too admitted the weaknesses of LCDs (black level, motion blur, input lag (to an extend, if you also wanna have good image quality)).
Might wanna read a few reviews there and notice how they state in all reviews before 12/2008 that its perfectly normal for TFTs to have some kind of motion blur. Guess they stopped stating it after billions of reviews because people finally got it. Or not...
Example:
"Like all hold-type models [TFTs] with static backlights, the Hyundai W241D also demonstrates slight motion blur, but this is not critical."

My black levels are just fine, people like Jerykk only say stupid shit like that because he's poor and can't torrent a monitor.
I bet they are enough for you. But fact is that TFTs cant produce true black unless they have variable LED background lighting, which I havent seen yet in TFTs, only in LCD TVs, but that still doesnt produce true black around illuminated areas.
The best TFT Ive seen in real life and in reviews has a black level of 0.10 cd/mē. That sounds low, but true black is 0. Zero. Nada. Null.
0.10 is still gray, Ive seen it for myself.
0.10 is tolerable IMO (anything above that isnt anymore IMO), but its still a flaw.

I am pretty sure for most people TFTs are good enough. They were for me. But after I had to switch to my old CRT again after half a year, because my LCD broke, I noticed how many flaws the LCD technology has that mostly affect only gamers. I doubt my senses are super-human so that I can notice them, so I urge everyone who still has a CRT around to test it for themselves.
If you can see a difference between 60 and 100 FPS you WILL see a huge difference between CRT and LCD (while this is also a relative statement because 60 fps on CRTs are blurry too to an extend (no, not because of the technology - simply because 60 fps are not 100% smooth), while you dont see such a huge difference between 60 and 100 fps on a TFT because the motion blur conceals it partly.

- Mojo Jojo

40. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 1, 2009, 17:33 Muscular Beaver

as even the cheapest LCDs have had ghosting issues fixed years ago.
Ghosting and motion blur are 2 completely different problems.
I only had very slight ghosting with some S-PVA panels and only in certains applications/games. TN panels do not have ghosting.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2009, 17:37.

- Mojo Jojo

39. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 1, 2009, 17:23 Muscular Beaver

Can you be more specific in terms of what games or source material is being used? I'm curious.
Anything. Doesnt matter what you use. You will always have a slight motion blur when you move your sight quickly. Especially in fast shooters its horrible.
However, after I used TFTs for a while I didnt notice it anymore either. Just now that I use a CRT again I notice how bad it actually is. Moving your sight on a CRT with 100 fps, is like watching a huge photograph. There is no blur at all. you can even focus enemies that are far away no problem when you look around quickly. I never could do that with my LCDs because they were too blurry to even be certain if its a friend or foe. I actually now notice how I stopped paying much attention to my surroundings because of it. Now with CRT its like I put glasses on.

- Mojo Jojo

35. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 1, 2009, 17:05 Muscular Beaver

Motion blur is non-existent if you get a decent monitor in my experience

Nope. Its a fact that motion blur is a problem on LCDs. Even reviewers say that.
Ive tested 4 of them from a 300 euro Samsung TN to a 900 euro S-PVA Eizo and they all had it.

- Mojo Jojo

33. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Results Sep 1, 2009, 17:00 Muscular Beaver

Real PC gamers use CRTs because they have higher refresh rates and no shitty resolution scaling

I recently switched back to CRT from several TN and S-PVA screens and all I can say is wow... Seriously, I can actually see things around me happening again because I dont have that stupid LCD motion blur. And black is an actual black again!
Oh yeah, and I can play with vsync enabled with 100 fps! Woot! Its so fucking smooth. I doubt I will switch to LCD again.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 2009, 17:02.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net
21. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:27 Muscular Beaver

Well you don't like having multiple platforms, you said it yourself. The alternative is having a single platform in that case. Something tells me you wouldn't like that side of things either if you have a problem with a company like Blizzard who provides plenty of value for their consumers. I guess my point is to be careful what you wish for.

Damn, and I thought the PC was a single platform.
You got me there! I run out and buy me a console now! Later!

- Mojo Jojo

19. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:15 Muscular Beaver

The alternative is an Xbox 360 or PS3. I thought PC gamers liked having choice. Just admit that you're cheap and move on with your life. God forbid someone charge for their hard work, geez the box sale should let me play online for eternity! Look at how well that works out with EA games online.

Your definition of alternative is flawed I think.
And I dont think I ever said that I want to play online for just the box sale. I wouldnt be playing an MMO for $15 a month if I did, I think.

CRITICS ARE BAD! We have to love and eat everything thrown at us!

- Mojo Jojo

17. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:09 Muscular Beaver

I'm looking forward to Google's OS tho.
But Blizzard games dont run on it.

- Mojo Jojo

13. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 14:03 Muscular Beaver

Gotta do things the hard way son!! Who needs integrated game joining and all of that new generation laziness? In my day we walked our packets back and forth to each other across the tundra, ravaged by wolves and tribal warriors who stole our 30 digit ICQ numbers. You youngsters, paying for your convenience and value, didn't momma teach ya everything on da PC be 4 free? Rolleyes

Indeed. I love having zillions of Steam-like platforms. Too bad that they cant communicate with each other. Oh man, maybe we will get the publishers to all work together and get us our beloved super duper hyper go go platform so we dont need anything at all! A unified publisher OS would be even cooler than a Blizzard OS! We would never have to switch tasks again! No more having to see the stupid desktop! Fuck Firefox and Email. Only commercial banners! Game worlds! OMG! Ultimate gaming platform!

- Mojo Jojo

10. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 13:56 Muscular Beaver

Some people like to play in full-screen mode.
Yeah and with the new improved battlenet I still have to switch tasks for a webbrowser and normal IMs (if you have friends outside WoW, D3, SC2).
But maybe if you grovel long enough they will add that too and some day we might even have a Blizzard OS! That would be cool, wouldnt it?

- Mojo Jojo

5. Re: Blizzard on the Business of Battle.net Aug 31, 2009, 13:37 Muscular Beaver

I have only positive things to say about Battle.net. I like the cross-game communication system letting you talk to friends in Diablo 3 from WOW, or StarCraft 2. You say "hi!" from WOW to your friend in Diablo 3. Your friend replies, "Hey man! I need help with this boss. Want to help?" You reply "Sure!" and you switch over to your friend's location. Very cool stuff.

OMG! Youre right! I couldnt do that with [enter random IM name here]!!!
Now I can finally uninstall that stupid [enter random IM name here]!!!
Oh wait, I have friends outside of Blizzard games, too. Woot, who cares, I like having a bazillion IMs on my PC.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 13:38.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Co-op Trailer
29. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Co-op Trailer Aug 31, 2009, 13:30 Muscular Beaver

Oh, Im sorry.
Next time Ill remember to add the context a few times just for you.
But yeah you still can do that. Black against a black sky is kinda what the predator does, Verno. But if Arnold had a radar, the Predator would have been dead meat in the first few mins of the movie. Now, that wouldnt have been nice, would it?

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 13:31.

- Mojo Jojo

27. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Co-op Trailer Aug 31, 2009, 11:06 Muscular Beaver

Not too long ago NATO was bombing Serbia into submission, when apparently a random AA shell downed a F-117 Stealth Fighter

An AA shell? It was a missile. And It wasnt random at all. The "fighter" was located through very long radar wavelengths (normally obsolete since the 60s).
Stealth technology doesnt make you completely invisible.

But I am getting your point.

Even if he killed that helicopter with an M249, if helicopters get shot down, the rotors dont suddenly stop from one second to another in the air. Much less if the pilot is sniped.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 11:19.

- Mojo Jojo

22. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 31, 2009, 02:58 Muscular Beaver

OMG born2whine you are so full of yourself you make me sick.
to cater to the 12yr old tea baggers.

Looks like someone hit the nail on the head.

- Mojo Jojo

1786 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo