Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 1793 (Pro)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
38. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 11, 2011, 11:13 Muscular Beaver

Krael wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 10:13:
There's probably a better place to ask this, but what exactly made Tribes 1 so much fun? I played the heck out of it back in the day, and still have a soft spot for it. I just can't quite put my finger on exactly *why* I loved it
Speed (that includes skiing).
Flying.
Acrobatics.
Airdiscs.

Oh and of course: SHAZBOT!

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2011, 11:23.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend
31. Re: Hi-Rez on F2P Tribes Ascend Jul 11, 2011, 08:35 Muscular Beaver

Geez, you guys have problems!
I only worry about it being too slow, which it looks like it is!

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
69. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 11, 2011, 06:38 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 05:38:
Its not hard to say, since DICE already said they will be 4 x 4 km max.

Okay. That sounds pretty big to me but I'm not very good with metrics. How big were the maps in BF2?

BTW, where did you get those numbers from? According to this (and several other) sites, the PC version of BF3 will have larger maps than the console versions. That makes sense, given that it will support more than twice as many players.

http://bf3blog.com/2011/03/console-bf3-multiplayer-maps-will-be-smaller/
Big? 4x4 km dont allow that much of tactical options, especially with vehicles and planes.
BF2 maps were smaller. PR maps were about as big.
That info is running around in forums. I read it myself in some interview myself but I dont remember where. That size was for the PC version.

As for the simultaneous release not suggesting a lead platform: How has it been done in the past 5 years since consoles are the lead platform and how was it before when there were still games that had the PC as lead platform? Go figure.

Back when PC was still the lead platform for a lot of genres, multiplatform development was pretty rare. The vast majority of games were initially platform-exclusive. Ports were eventually made, sure, but they were always significantly delayed. This applied to both PC-to-console and console-to-PC ports. These days, ports are developed while the game itself is being developed. That's what multiplatform development means. A simultaneous release does not equate to console being the lead SKU any more than it suggests that PC is the lead SKU. The only thing it suggests is that the ports were started early in the dev cycle.
Youre mixing things up. PC to console games were only delayed because they were planned and started later, based on PC sales. Yes, the PC was actually used for that at some time.
Console to PC games were delayed because at that time developers actually still tried to make it a good PC experience, and that took its time. Of course there were the rare occasion where people whined so much that they decided to make a PC port afterwards, which then turned out to something like Halo.

No its not based on that argument. You just put it that way. Stop putting that crap in my mouth and read my posts again. Those were examples and things that for me define the typical console game. There are a lot of other things that make a PC game out of something. Especially the gameplay and use of power potential. BF3 isnt using anything of it. Its a simple console shooter tweaked a bit for the PC.

You've repeatedly cited linear and highly scripted level design as proof of a console focus. That's simply not true, as proven by that long list of linear and highly scripted games I listed that used PC as the lead SKU.

There are many things that are symptomatic of consolitis: QTEs, huge text and icons, text-based inventories, radial menus, low-res textures, 30 FPS framerate caps, lack of mouse and hotkey support, etc. Linear and highly scripted level design is not one of those things.
Sorry if it came over that way, but for me console games are all easily recognizable by their simple gameplay. And that includes the stuff I mentioned most of the time.
That list consists of very old games except for one. Thats no proof for anything, if at all its proof for my side.
As I said you completely ignore the PC ACTUAL potentials. You cant compared them to the PC from that timeframe. I mean if that logic was true, we would still play Doom 2-like games.

I don't know if you've been to E3 recently but pretty much all multiplatform games are shown exclusively on console. You'll see X360 and PS3 versions of the games all around but PC? Not so much. Seriously, you won't find any kiosks showing off the PC version. Not a single one. Except for BF3, that is. That was the only multiplatform game being shown on PC. Not only that, but it was only shown on PC. That alone is a pretty good indication that PC is the lead SKU.

Ive never been to E3. Its a little too far from here.
Even if that is true, I dont see it being an indicator for anything except a try to show the game from its best side. I never said the PC version would look as bad or worse than the console version. I mean they said they would put more effort in the PC version. So, if thats true, they are just showing the best side of their product. But with the generic games today I completely understand to not show it on the PC since it looks almost the same on PC as it looks on consoles, and its much less effort and actually cheaper to bring a console to an exhibition instead of an PC. Not to mention for gameplay testing purposes, since especially in the US PC gaming is just a small fraction of console gaming.

Im just saying that there have been more than enough claims in the last years that this or that game has the PC as lead platform or that extra work has been put into the PC version, but almost all of them exposed as just superficially tweaked console ports or PC games with very noticeable console limitations. And those that actually were real PC games, came from developers that were known to make only PC games anyway.

- Mojo Jojo

67. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 11, 2011, 04:23 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 19:35:
I was more talking about the dumbed down gameplay, generic scripted gameplay and again only small and limited maps, and there is no question that todays console shooters really overdo their scripted shit.

Once again, highly scripted and linear gameplay does not mean a game is designed for consoles. MoH:AA and CoD1 were highly scripted and linear and designed for PC.

Once again, they are very old games.

As for small maps, hard to say. EA hasn't shown much of BF3 multiplayer yet. However, DICE has confirmed that the PC version of BF3 will have more than double the player limit of consoles (64 vs 24). That's a pretty significant difference, so I assume that the maps are designed for 64 players and thus appropriately sized.
Its not hard to say, since DICE already said they will be 4 x 4 km max.

DAO was delayed about year so that the console version could be released at the same day because they decided so late to make it for consoles aswell. And you saw what they did to DA2, thanks to the consoles. Anyway, that would suggest that BF3 is already complete on either the PC or console. You think that?

No. As you said, DAO was a PC-exclusive for years until EA bought Bioware and decided to make it multiplatform. The game was essentially finished for PC before development started on the ports. However, that's not how most multiplatform games work. In most cases, development of the ports starts early in the dev cycle to ensure a simultaneous release for all versions. As such, a simultaneous release does not suggest any specific lead platform. It suggests only that development of the ports started early in the dev cycle.

Exactly, did you forget you brought up the DAO example?
As for the simultaneous release not suggesting a lead platform: How has it been done in the past 5 years since consoles are the lead platform and how was it before when there were still games that had the PC as lead platform? Go figure.

Your entire argument is based on the fact that the single-player portion of BF3 is linear and scripted. I hate to break it to you but there are plenty of PC games that are linear and scripted. HL1 &2, MoH:AA, CoD1, MoH: Pacific Assault, Prey, Quake 4, FEAR, NOLF1 & 2, Portal, Doom 3, Call of Juarez, RtCW, Metro 2033, etc. Conversely, there are a lot of games designed for consoles that have open-ended and dynamic gameplay. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Just Cause 2, GTA4, Saboteur, Bioshock, etc. Just because a game is designed for PC does not mean it will be open-world with sophisticated AI and deep, complex gameplay.

No its not based on that argument. You just put it that way. Stop putting that crap in my mouth and read my posts again. Those were examples and things that for me define the typical console game. There are a lot of other things that make a PC game out of something. Especially the gameplay and use of power potential. BF3 isnt using anything of it. Its a simple console shooter tweaked a bit for the PC.

- Mojo Jojo

64. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 10, 2011, 08:28 Muscular Beaver

Where did I say they were invented by consoles??? Sigh indeed.....
I was more talking about the dumbed down gameplay, generic scripted gameplay and again only small and limited maps, and there is no question that todays console shooters really overdo their scripted shit. No AI at all.
Just because 10 years ago the average PC FPS looked like the console FPS today, doesnt mean it still would be PC game now. The PC has far more potential than those limited maps, simple gameplay, and scripts instead of AI. Yeah, the graphics are a bit better, but if you look closely you will see that they are limited just like on every other console shooter. There is no huge view distance, there is no real open world, there is no freedom. Its BF1942 with better graphics, a different theme and a few tweaks.

DAO was delayed about year so that the console version could be released at the same day because they decided so late to make it for consoles aswell. And you saw what they did to DA2, thanks to the consoles. Anyway, that would suggest that BF3 is already complete on either the PC or console. You think that?

Sorry to hear you havent noticed that games that use the PC as lead platform were almost nonexistent for 5 years, especially on AAA titles. And now all of the sudden that changes in an *EA* game? IN AN EA GAME? Mad
As I said, if you have reasons to believe that crap, go right ahead. We will see when its released. I dont have any reasons at all from experience. I also dont see anything that suggest that it is indeed a real PC game except for some PR-phrases that said they would put more love in the PC version than normally.

- Mojo Jojo

62. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 10, 2011, 02:52 Muscular Beaver

Yeah and I dont believe that. Sorry, but for a real PC game it would show much better gameplay. So far it only looks like another heavily scripted CoD with just a little better graphics. Also, if it was a real PC game, the console versions would be released months after. But they are released at the same day. Especially since they act as if they dont show any console footage, that is very fishy.
I have no reason to believe anything they say. Have you?

- Mojo Jojo

58. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 9, 2011, 11:41 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 05:27:
For comparison, gamrReview.com puts console sales of BFBC2 at 5.25 million and PC sales at 0.62 million.

Did gamrReview cite the sources for these numbers? It seems odd that EA would agree to PC as the lead SKU for BF3 if the last BF game sold so poorly on PC.

EA talks lots of crap when the day is long enough. What counts is if it is the lead platform and thus developed directly for the PC and then ported to console. Which it isnt.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > World of Warcraft Recruit-A-Friend Program Levels Up
14. Re: World of Warcraft Recruit-A-Friend Program Levels Up Jul 9, 2011, 05:34 Muscular Beaver

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 18:39:
I turned my wow account back on a few weeks ago. After acquiring a full set of Vicious Gladiator gear, I once again realized why I always end up quiting the game. I play for PVP and it's terrible these days.

A PvP Battle starts and your sapped, stunned, slowed, frozen, dazed, trapped, silenced, and so on. The game has waaaaay too many stuns and the like while a player only gets one 'get out of stun free card' per 2 minute cooldown. It's completely annoying. Having 3.5k of resil doesn't help either. The game that I used to love is gone and what remains is garbage.

I can't wait for the day that Blizzard is gone and their games are a distant memory. WOW is junk imho.

Yeah thats why I played too and I feel 100% the same way. As a druid you had at least a little chance to get anywhere as a melee because you could at least break roots, but they nerfed that ability of druids so ridiculously hard, that I quit altogether. Even my mage was no fun anymore, even though, or maybe because, he was overpowered beyond belief.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Arma X Released
14. Re: Arma X Released Jul 7, 2011, 07:48 Muscular Beaver

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 18:37:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 14:58:
OldScho0l wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 02:35:
kylania wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 19:06:
OldScho0l wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 18:34:
For anyone who likes 20 fps on even the best rigs, I highly recommend this. If you prefer to get more than 30 fps, you should go elsewhere. I own Arma 2 and have installed it on my last 3 PC's. It never runs better in certain areas. Please don't offer me suggestions as I have tried them all (tons of wasted time). The game just sucks. End of story.

You sound poor.

I sound poor? That doesn't even make sense! Having built 3 PC's since the release of ARMAII sounds poor? How many top of the line machines have you built since then? Oh wait, you sound dumb, so I doubt that you have the brains to build any. WOW! I've read some stupid comments in my life, but yours tops the list for being most stupid. I'm guessing that you didn't win any awards for intellect in the past.
I read your poems. You sound sad and lonely. Being rich isn't always about money. I feel sorry for you. I have money and loved ones. Better luck next try pal. Also, since your reading comprehension is obviously poor, you might try educating yourself.

Poor prolly because you obviously used crappy (cheap) hardware or cant configure PCs properly.
My i5-750/GTX 260/4 GB runs the game great at 8000m view distance (even 10k in singleplayer), 2x AA, 16x AF, everything on max except PP off. "Top of the line" my ass.
Yeah, it stutters quite a bit (especially in Chernarus), but that is easily fixed with a simple RAID0 or an SSD or with a RAMdisk. Even Chernarus is smooth with one of those options.
So the only thing I wish for ArmA 3 is fucking 64 bit so 8+ GB can be used and the content isnt streamed from the HDD/SSD anymore.

1st of all, I only buy the very best hardware. How can you suggest that I buy cheap hardware when that's exactly what you are using? Are you fucking serious? You're using CHEAP JUNK! You don't even have enough ram to create said RAMdisk.

2nd I make over $75 an hour as a technical consultant in the defence industry and am sure that my skill level is way beyond yours. I don't need to buy cheap shit.

3rd Those options you listed are well known and are hardly a good solution for a single game (especially when those options have minimal gain). Yeah, lets make a 16 Gig ram disk and dump the game in there and set it up every time I want to play. Great solution for a game that should have been properly optimized to begin with. Instead, the company that made the game spend all their time working for the military and ignore their PC version.

4th You posted another reply stating that the multi-threading is fixed with a patch. It's not fixed with a patch! It's still broken! Jeesh! Do you have any useful info or do you always spew thrash?

5th You are a total liar. Do you expect me to believe that the game runs well with a 260? Seriously? That's laughable bro.
My machine: i7 950/GTX 560 x2 SLI/DDR3 Triple Channel
If that machine is cheap then yours is total garbage.

Wow, looks like a baddie was exposed and is now running rampage.

1) Maybe you havent noticed but that is a pretty good rig. Not the newest one, but thats the point here, dumbass. See 3) concerning the RAMdisk.

2) Very nice for you, but Im not here to brag with bullshit, but believe me, I wouldnt pay you a cent.

3) Youre an idiot. A simple RAID0 is very good. Just need 2 cheap Caviar Blue or Black and thats that. Also I have used a RAMdisk before I bought a SSD. 4 GB is enough to get rid of the most stuttering. I think I used a 800 MB RAMdisk and just put the trees, buildings and some other stuff on it. But sure... it doesnt do anything, even though theres huge thread in the Bohemia forums about it. lol... Oh well... 2 more points to laugh...

4) The multithreading is fixed. It was even stated in the patch notes, very easy to see for yourself. I havent used that command for months, and before I had problems without it.

5) I am a liar? LOL!
Dude, ok, I know youre hurt because you spent so much money and are unable to make it work properly, but geez... Get a clue.
It runs very well on a 260 GTX. You can go ahead and laugh at everyone in the forums whos using a similar setup and call them liars. Please, go ahead, I want to watch that.
Yeah, mine is garbage compared to yours, but that you have problems with yours just proves how crappy it runs. I would prolly get 60-100 fps all day long with such a system. Seriously, $75 an hour and you cant make a simple PC run properly? I really dont know what to say about that anymore...
Also let me guess, you bought super duper hyper rig like that and then didnt even put in a proper SSD, right? Well, if you like microstuttering, I dont expect anything else from you anyway. lol, sorry, but I just cant believe you actually defend this bullshit.

- Mojo Jojo

12. Re: Arma X Released Jul 6, 2011, 15:01 Muscular Beaver

Shataan wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 09:14:
I have always loved ARMA 2. OA etc. But I am tired of having to manually set the exthreads, the cpu core amounts in commandlines, and having to manually set the right amount of vram memory for the game. It is amazing how ya gotta tweak this game so much to get it to play nice nice with your rig these days.

This has been long fixed with a patch.

- Mojo Jojo

11. Re: Arma X Released Jul 6, 2011, 14:58 Muscular Beaver

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 02:35:
kylania wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 19:06:
OldScho0l wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 18:34:
For anyone who likes 20 fps on even the best rigs, I highly recommend this. If you prefer to get more than 30 fps, you should go elsewhere. I own Arma 2 and have installed it on my last 3 PC's. It never runs better in certain areas. Please don't offer me suggestions as I have tried them all (tons of wasted time). The game just sucks. End of story.

You sound poor.

I sound poor? That doesn't even make sense! Having built 3 PC's since the release of ARMAII sounds poor? How many top of the line machines have you built since then? Oh wait, you sound dumb, so I doubt that you have the brains to build any. WOW! I've read some stupid comments in my life, but yours tops the list for being most stupid. I'm guessing that you didn't win any awards for intellect in the past.
I read your poems. You sound sad and lonely. Being rich isn't always about money. I feel sorry for you. I have money and loved ones. Better luck next try pal. Also, since your reading comprehension is obviously poor, you might try educating yourself.

Poor prolly because you obviously used crappy (cheap) hardware or cant configure PCs properly.
My i5-750/GTX 260/4 GB runs the game great at 8000m view distance (even 10k in singleplayer), 2x AA, 16x AF, everything on max except PP off. "Top of the line" my ass.
Yeah, it stutters quite a bit (especially in Chernarus), but that is easily fixed with a simple RAID0 or an SSD or with a RAMdisk. Even Chernarus is smooth with one of those options.
So the only thing I wish for ArmA 3 is fucking 64 bit so 8+ GB can be used and the content isnt streamed from the HDD/SSD anymore.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 15:04.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Arma 3 Interview
8. Re: Arma 3 Interview Jun 30, 2011, 11:42 Muscular Beaver

DangerDog wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 14:43:
I just hope they put more effort into the sound and animation this time, especially voice over work.

The voice over is very hard to do. They have like 24 different voices (incl. different russian, czech, arabian, etc) and to record every single possible sentence will just blow a budget that small.
OFP sounded like that aswell (even worse), so I dont care at all. I rather have so many different voices than just a few and smooth sentences.

I just hope the map wont be smaller again. I want a real big one again, better 2 or 3 of them. A winter one please too, like in OFP, where the trees turn into christmas trees in december!

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Arma 3 Interview
4. Re: Arma 3 Interview Jun 29, 2011, 14:12 Muscular Beaver

Sucks that it will be released 2012 already.
That means I need a new PC again, but I wanted to put more money in my car next year.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer
32. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 23:51 Muscular Beaver

God, it looks so effing slow... Even slower than T2 and T3...
No thanks...

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > WoW Your Friends for Free
40. Re: WoW Your Friends for Free Jun 27, 2011, 04:05 Muscular Beaver

Dades wrote on Jun 26, 2011, 17:32:
Gaming in general is going through a bit of an evolutionary step up the ladder right now and WoW isn't really a part of it. Whatever game Blizzard makes next probably will be but WoW's time is over, people can only play the same game for so long.

Yeah financially. Not Gameplay-wise. Not even Graphic wise, or rather very slow.

And I dont think WoWs time would be over if they didnt change it so radically with Cata - and no, I dont mean the changes in the world.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > WoW Your Friends for Free
31. Re: WoW Your Friends for Free Jun 26, 2011, 06:16 Muscular Beaver

Haha, I knew that some desperation move like this would happen soon. They lost lots of subscribers with Cata and the audacious and idiotic class changes with recent patches.  

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up
62. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 15, 2011, 13:36 Muscular Beaver

Hahahaha, no need to apologize or down play. Everyone with half a brain already knows it runs like this very often anyway.  

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Arma 2 Free Announced
20. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 11, 2011, 07:14 Muscular Beaver

Overon wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 15:34:
What does that no HD comment mean exactly?
Console-like texture resolution.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > ARMA 3 Trailer
26. Re: ARMA 3 Trailer Jun 10, 2011, 04:29 Muscular Beaver

CommunistHamster wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 08:04:
The AI looks dumb as a rock from a tactical point sometimes, but on a strategic scale they are very smart. Large scale flanking manoeuvres can really catch you out, as it's not something you expect from an AI.

I find it pretty funny when people complain about the AI. I would like to know to which AI they compare it. There simply is NO AI out there that can handle an open world like that, can drive vehicles, fly aircraft, mount statics, go stealth, stay in various formations (even in vehicles), change their behavior completely in a blink of an eye, communicate with each other, look for cover, actually use that cover properly, follow orders, make decisions on their own, execute complex tactics, etc. When I play warfare (which is a mix of PvE and PvP), I sometimes cant tell if its an AI or a player. They even use lean and duck properly.
ArmAs AI is the best out there. Sure it has flaws (the biggest being pathfinding), but in the same sentence people complain about the performance too. I cant believe how far from reality some people are...

Whats next? People complain that ArmA 2s view distance is only 10 km? Because their console game has 40 km, but they dont realize that their "40 km" is actually only 100m with a texture on the horizon...

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2011, 04:37.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media
11. Re: Neverwinter FAQ, E3 Media Jun 9, 2011, 17:57 Muscular Beaver

space captain wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 16:29:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 16:12:
Well, I am all for a nice Forgotten Realms RPG, but some of these screenshots look far too cartooney and not at all like Forgotten Realms.
Lets hope they wont rape FR aswell...
*shivers at the thought of Drizzt in japanimation style*

it seems you can easily conceive exactly what forgotten realms is *really* like

but can you conceive of a world where some people actually like manga?

or is that just too fucking crazy to even consider

I dont fucking care what crap you make with mangas as long as you dont rape existing styles with it. Geez... You put a Ferrari sticker on your Mazda, huh?
Wait, that came out wrong.. You actually put a Mazda sticker on your Ferrari.

- Mojo Jojo

1793 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo