Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 1793 (Pro)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > From Dust DRM to Change
39. Re: From Dust DRM to Change Aug 23, 2011, 10:52 Muscular Beaver

Shok wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 22:55:
Honestly, even if I had any interest in this game (which I don't), just the fact that it's published by UBI gave me reason to ignore it. I don't buy anything from that company any more because supporting their DRM gives it legitimacy leading other publishers to think it's OK to use something similar.

So you dont use Steam either?

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Revival Possibilities
37. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 19:05 Muscular Beaver

Who the hell cares if it will be console ports.  

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming
10. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 04:30 Muscular Beaver

Another gaming magazine writes that it doesnt work with epic gear. So yeah... lol...  

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > World of Warcraft Real ID Party Feature Live
19. Re: World of Warcraft Real ID Party Feature Live Aug 18, 2011, 04:17 Muscular Beaver

nin wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 21:51:
They're trying to dictate to customers - and very rudely at that - instead of listen to them. That's not how you do business. Or at least that's not how you get mine or a lot of other people's money.

There's an upside to that, though. It's allowing indies to flourish, because they DO listen to their customers.

Let the dinosaurs lumber around as the indies run circles around them. We'll be ok.

Too bad all the good indies will be bought by the dinosaurs...

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam
45. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 04:15 Muscular Beaver

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 02:08:
Wow lots of butthurt towards Steam here. You do realize that publishers set the prices on Steam, not Valve? Do some research before you mouth off like a bunch of fucking retards.
Oh right, and Valve games are cheaper, huh? lol...

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > World of Warcraft Real ID Party Feature Live
3. Re: World of Warcraft Real ID Party Feature Live Aug 17, 2011, 11:41 Muscular Beaver

So they arent earning money with their subscription fees aand BS mount and pets anymore, but instead actually trade data.
Interesting.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans
34. Re: Epic Working on 5 New Games, Unreal Engine 4, Has PC Plans Aug 17, 2011, 05:55 Muscular Beaver

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 16:45:
Hump wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 15:19:
want to make profitable games? Don't go public. Don't answer to shareholders. Stop paying management far more money than those who do the actual work. Put managements offices in the same room as the work being done. Once you start building washrooms that are management only you are wasting money on a system of elitist assholes who are being paid far more than they're worth. Management shouldn't be above washing toilets or fetching coffee. In the end, a room full of management can't make anything other than paperwork. A studio full of artists, coders etc can organize enough to get a game made.

A agree pretty much up to the point where PM is deemed unnecessary overhead.

Having been on both sides of the line, all I can say is this: your perspective changes radically when you realize that the very livelihood of the people you have working on your project is, quite literally, in the hands of every decision you make as a producer or owner of a studio. You need to have a plan or structure, or you risk everyone's prosperity.

While it's noble to stick to your guns on artistic vision, that means very little when the project runs out of money because no one was bean counting. And that happens, whether your studio is private, co-op, or public.

A lot.

^D^

Of course there have to be organizing jobs. Nothing works without organizing and counting money. But thats no excuse to pay those people FAR FAR more than they are worth. What would work more likely? Workers without organisation so they have to start organizing themselves, or organisers without workers and they have to start working themselves?
Should be pretty much DUHey.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
90. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 03:00 Muscular Beaver

I would laugh my ass off it it wasnt so sad that you people are complaining about that they try to copy crap that you so willingly embraced.  

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Runic on Diablo III vs. Torchlight 2 RMTs and DRM
18. Re: Runic on Diablo III vs. Torchlight 2 RMTs and DRM Aug 11, 2011, 07:57 Muscular Beaver

Yeah I consider my Fiat 500 to be a Ferrari 458 too.

P.S. Thanks Rhett for that link. It hit me right in the face.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2011, 08:15.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > New NVIDIA WHQL Reference Drivers
8. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Reference Drivers Aug 9, 2011, 14:57 Muscular Beaver

Optional nickname wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 13:46:
Luke wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 13:05:
Optional nickname wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 11:52:
are these drivers made to work with Diablo 3 beta?

No they will come later on the AH in D3

hmm perhaps they should stick to WHQL (whore house quality) instead of AHQL (auction house..)

looking forward to AMD 7000 series this fall, Nvidia will have nothing new to show for it until end of Q1 2012.

What makes you so sure about that? They already said they will also have a new one this year.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > World of Warcraft Hotfixes
6. Re: World of Warcraft Hotfixes Aug 7, 2011, 15:58 Muscular Beaver

People have put years into their chars and now Blizzard is just playing ping pong with em and everyone gets pissed that their class that they choose years ago isnt anything anymore what it once was.
Just look at the druid changes. It was like taking the the wheels off a Porsche and say "well, its only fair, because now everyone has a chance to beat you".

You cant just try harsh balance changes and then if it doesnt work, try to fix the mess with tiny bits all the time on live servers.
You need to betatest changes properly - that makes it much less likely to change things often.
I really dont know what rode them when they decided this new way. I can only guess it was some new young managers idea, who doesnt even know the product he is managing.

Worst thing they ever did to this game, and I was never really happy with this game.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > WoW Drops More Subs
44. Re: WoW Drops More Subs Aug 4, 2011, 17:22 Muscular Beaver

Not enough casual content anymore - or too easy casual content. I really liked the new 5 man instances, but they dumbed them down again, instead they should have been even harder, especially for DPS classes.
Cata didnt even keep me for 1 month. No expansion before that only kept me playing one month - and I even leveled 2 chars and brought them both up to like 354 gear level plus proper PvP gear.
Also the constant massive class changes they do are just too much. I seriously liked most of the changes until Cata. But in Cata and the patches after it they overdone it like never before.
Especially because of those class changes PvP (the by far biggest time sink for me so far) was suddenly completely uninteresting. Some classes were so ridiculously overpowered and others so fucking weak and laughable, that the only way to win was to have the perfect team combo and actually completely ignore some classes.

I noticed ALOT of players leaving at or around the same time like me, so I still doubt their official numbers.
I seriously hope they lose much, much more, until they realize what they did wrong.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Call of Juarez: The Cartel Trailer
4. Re: Call of Juarez: The Cartel Trailer Jul 21, 2011, 05:58 Muscular Beaver

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 04:05:
First game sucked, second game had sever consolitis...i expect the same with this.
Sucked? The first game was actually very good. I had very high hopes for this developer after it, but then they prostituted themselves to the worst publisher there is and the sequel was a horrible console shooter with even autoaiming on the PC.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
163. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 20:49 Muscular Beaver

The fact of the matter is that Steam was accepted by the sheep just so they had stuff they had before - in one convenient bloatware DRM. And that acceptance brought us ALL that other crap like GFWL, Social Club, extreme DRM, etc, etc, etc. Theres much worse to come, too.
Thanks, sheep! Outtahere

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
161. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 18, 2011, 20:39 Muscular Beaver

Sepharo wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 17:42:
I know I'm a Steam/Valve fanboy but I don't think I'm irrationally so.

Since when are fanboys rational?

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live
56. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 14:15 Muscular Beaver

Luke wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 13:07:
Just an example for the complete idiots here...

well i guess it good for the world that we have some1 like you then , mr muscular Beaver

Dont put words in my mouth. Its very simple, and if people cant understand that simple stuff and actually try to argue about it, nobody should be surprised that people get pissed at such audacity and arrogance.

- Mojo Jojo

55. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 14:12 Muscular Beaver

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 12:42:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 09:47:
Theres some invention thats called numbers. And you can hide them too! I even heard that login names are unique too! OMG!

In no way did you outline an alternative for Real ID, you just gave options for new identifiers, it would still be essentially the same system, I conceded full names were not necessary.

But they are the essential part of it and the main reason why people dont want it!
What could anyone do with a fucking internal Blizzard number? They have our data already anyway.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2011, 14:39.

- Mojo Jojo

52. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 09:47 Muscular Beaver

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 00:47:
WoW borrows all if it's new UI ideas from the most popular user addon's something which I think is benefit to most players, probably where the other MMO's got them as well.

As far as everyone saying Real ID wasn't necessary for all these new features, I would like to hear what you would have done. You need some sort of unique identifier for players across all servers, their battle.net account is an ideal choice, instead of making something entirely new. I don't think a lot of you are considering the backend operations needed for everything to work properly, granted displaying someones real name isn't necessary, but the rest is. I think the name is just bad, and has a stigma attached to it, it really is just a blizzard system wide unique identifier.
Theres some invention thats called numbers. And you can hide them too! I even heard that login names are unique too! OMG!

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
71. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 15, 2011, 06:34 Muscular Beaver

Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 12:29:
Console to PC games were delayed because at that time developers actually still tried to make it a good PC experience, and that took its time.

Bwahaha! I think you need to take another look at console-to-PC ports in the 90's. Trust me, they were pretty half-assed. Compared to ports back then, today's ports are awesome. Today's ports usually try to at least take full advantage of mouse and keyboard. Ports of yesteryear were pretty much barebones ports with support for texture filtering and occasionally higher resolutions. The Legacy of Kain series, Shadow Man, Resident Evil 1-4, FF7 & 8, Dino Crysis 2, Devil May Cry 3, Battle Arena Toshinden, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop... the list of bad ports goes on and on. Their delays definitely weren't due to a focus on quality. The delays were due to the fact that the developers only developed one platform at a time, so ports didn't start development until after the lead platform was finished. Hell, most ports weren't even handled by the original developers. They were outsourced to the lowest bidder.
Uh, I am not talking about the 90s, I am talking about 2000 to 2006. Console ports in the 90s were horrible, not only because people didnt know how to convert the controls to the PC properly, but also because the console games, except some very few exceptions, in that era were horrible too. They even cut out a lot of features from the console version to make the conversion faster. Even in the timespan I am talking about console ports were horrible mostly, but they got better and better, and you noticed how much they struggle to port games to the PC. Thats why everyone who wanted to release on the PC aswell, made their games PC first and then ported to the consoles or even made a specific console version, since porting was so fucking hard AND TOOK THEIR TIME.
There were always bad ports from the console since there were so few of them anyway and nobody knew how to do them properly, but there were also good ones, yeah that was rare, but they showed it was possible. But since the console doesnt really offer a good source, of course they were never really good games.

Sorry if it came over that way, but for me console games are all easily recognizable by their simple gameplay. And that includes the stuff I mentioned most of the time.

Except not all console games have simple gameplay. Fallout: New Vegas is a console game and isn't simple at all. It's more complex and offers more meaningful choice than most PC games. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was designed for consoles and again, it's just as complex (perhaps even moreso) than Thief.
To quote you: Bwahaha!
NV complex? SP TC complex??? Sorry but they are nowhere near being complex. I think you played too much console crap already... Look at real PC games and their complexity and compare them with them. In TC many features were actually cut from the PC version.
Its kinda hard to give examples since all we get is console ports nowadays. There are a few, but you should know them. ArmA for example. But I bet thats also why you argue this way. You know very well that there are almost no real PC games anymore to compare with, and since youre only comparing to 10 year old games, that would nowadays be much more complex, I cant really say anything against that and just call on your intelligence and objectivity.

Do PC games have the potential to be deeper and more complex with large, open worlds, dynamic AI and near photorealistic graphics? Sure. But that doesn't mean that all PC games are.
Exactly, but such games would set standards and we are talking about standards here.

Even if that is true, I dont see it being an indicator for anything except a try to show the game from its best side.

Except if that were true, every publisher would always show the PC version because the PC version always looks and runs the best. However, that's not what happens. Publishers show the console versions because they always show the lead SKU and consoles are the lead SKU 99% of the time.
No, they show the ones that look and are best for them.
1) As I said its much easier and safer to bring a few consoles to the presentation. Nobody will be able to just jump to the desktop, screw things up or try to steal info from the computer.
2) Its much safer to use the polished console version, because in PC versions bugs or instabilities are much, much more common - even nowadays.
3) Console versions nowadays dont look much different from the PC versions since the PC versions become more and more gimped (thats also a reason why console ports dont take that long anymore, btw).
4) PC gamers are rare compared to console gamers.
5) PC gamers are much more critical and thus it would be a problem if they would show shitty console ports where some mouse buttons wont work, the gameplay is extremely simple or other console-typic stuff would be obvious. I mean, why have PC demos become so rare?

Im just saying that there have been more than enough claims in the last years that this or that game has the PC as lead platform or that extra work has been put into the PC version, but almost all of them exposed as just superficially tweaked console ports or PC games with very noticeable console limitations. And those that actually were real PC games, came from developers that were known to make only PC games anyway.

I don't disagree. However, all the evidence suggests that PC is the lead platform for BF3. That doesn't mean that there won't be any console-centric design choices. The Witcher 2 was a PC-exclusive but it has QTEs and a radial menu. Crysis was a PC-exclusive but it had radial menus and regenerating health.
Radial menus being console-typic? Not even I think that.
And I am not saying at all that PC games nowadays have adapted much from consoles. Its actually the thing I criticize!
As I said, if you think PR talk suggests that, go ahead and base your opinion on that. You should know better.
I will trust my experience.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > World of Warcraft Hotfixes
3. Re: World of Warcraft Hotfixes Jul 12, 2011, 04:38 Muscular Beaver

Kajetan wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 18:22:
Endo wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 18:16:
They break so much shit every patch now ...
May be, but they fix this shit fast
Say what?
Should I remind you how long it took them to fix even the worst bugs after patch 4.0.1? For at least 3 months I thought I am playing a fucking Alpha. Then I quit.

- Mojo Jojo

1793 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo