Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 1776 (Pro)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads
54. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 16:45 Muscular Beaver

Again, far too slow. Tribes 1 was awesome. Super fast and challenging. T2 was slow as shit. Period. T3 looked promising in the beta, very fast, lots of fun, but in release they dumbed the speed down massively and it was just shitty that way.
T:A is just as slow as T2 and T3. Extremely boring. Once you played T1 with that high speed and adrenalin and felt accomplished because you pulled stuff that you thought was impossible, you simply cant get anything out of these slow ass Tribes-wannabe games.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam top 10
39. Re: Steam top 10 May 13, 2012, 17:14 Muscular Beaver

Bhruic wrote on May 13, 2012, 17:07:
eunichron wrote on May 13, 2012, 16:40:
Yeah, I have the ArmA 2 Free installed right now, but I'm really just not a fan of the series, but after watching some videos of Day-Z that actually looks really fucking cool and probably worth purchasing Combined Ops next time it goes on sale.

And this is why companies are idiots for not allowing mod support. Arma2 isn't on that list because of Arma2. It's on their because of a mod. Lots of people are doing what you're thinking about doing - buying the game to play the mod. The number of sales they are getting because of this is substantial. All because they supported modding the game.

You'd think more companies would look at success stories like this and realize there's a solid financial incentive.

How? Too much work to put it into their POS console ports.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Steam top 10
38. Re: Steam top 10 May 13, 2012, 17:10 Muscular Beaver

Doma wrote on May 13, 2012, 15:54:
Day Z is the best thing I have played this year. And the sole reason that Arma 2 is at nr 5.

Its great in co-op and permadeath/full loot over the 225km Arma map makes for a fantastic experience

Not really. Normal servers have become quite packed too, at unusual times too.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > World of Warcraft Welcome Back
24. Re: My favorite part... Apr 15, 2012, 12:03 Muscular Beaver

Sorry, but their polishing has decreased a lot too after WoW.
They even leave game breaking bugs in the games for months, even if they were reported in beta tests.
They were much better before.
Honestly, I seriously want to know where all the cash from WoW went. Surely not into customer support or QA, and also not into the creative departments.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2012, 12:12.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Arma III Animations Trailer
45. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 10, 2012, 04:07 Muscular Beaver

And thats how I know that you will never like ArmA - seeing such stupid comments about broken issues, if they are not broken, so its futile wanting it to change to something like MW3. Thats like someone whining that his sedan is no tricycle and thus cant be driven on walkways. How dare they build such a thing, breaking things with "useless" other stuff!

Those options are necessary. They were only examples, but I use them all the time. Telling them to switch to anti personnel ammo instead of anti tank for example is extremely important. You cant kill a tank with frag ammunition and you cant kill infantry with anti tank ammo. And if you let them decide on their own, it might be too late, because switching ammo while being engaged, is very stupid.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 04:45.

- Mojo Jojo

43. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 9, 2012, 04:38 Muscular Beaver

I never had problems with that. Prolly because I am not spoiled by simple console controls.
Selecting the unit(s), then one of the 10 command structures and then the final command. Thats not really that complex if you know how to use a keyboard properly. You just need to memorize the few important ones, so they work faster. You can give all sorts of commands, even if you want one of your soldiers to run across the whole map and enter a vehicle there in a particular seat and switch the ammo type while telling him to put on a camp fire and close doors of buildings. So, you need to have a much more complex system then the one in brothers of arms. Again, that was extremely simple compared to ArmA, because it was a much simpler game too. Please stop comparing such games to ArmA, it doesnt prove your point in any way.

And yes, you need to give the AI those commands, because they react completely different on each of their reaction-commands, so if you give or dont give those commands, they might not do what you want properly. And since you dont want it even more "complex", you wouldnt want that either to not be that way.

Voice commands might be a good idea on the first glimpse, but in multiplayer it wouldnt work with voice chat running, unless you would use a push to talk button, which only few people use. Not to mention that such an engine costs additional money and isnt working 100% all the time.

Anyway, ultimately I doubt you will ever like such a game. Its much too complex for you. Youre talking of immersion, being broken by a few things that can be tolerated and are necessary or have been fixed years ago, so you really do not like this type of game.
Its all about the freedom, realism and massiveness in this game, and its all being done by a very small developer. You want this to be cut dont, effectively changing the whole game concept. Nope. You dont like this game at all.
Especially right now, there is no one who can or will do it better than that. Or are you still clinging onto Codemasters and OFP7?

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2012, 04:47.

- Mojo Jojo

41. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 18:18 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 13:02:
The thing about giving orders in ARMA is that the squad AI is brain dead so you still end up having to do everything yourself. If you don't walk around with a RPG and sniper rifle you can be 100% sure your stupid squad dies at the hands of either a sniper or a tank.

The only thing the squads in Arma are good for is "healing" you or being there to jump in a new character when you die ;p

At least in OFP2 your squad was not totally brain-dead, even if it was a terrible game

You just need to learn to use them properly. Tell them to take cover, tell them to engage on their own, tell them to be aware, tell a few to scan the horizon, put up scouts and snipers, coordinate attacks - thats your job as a commander.
Also whats very important: They only rarely see your targets on their own, you have to tell them those targets first, and they wont attack targets while on the move without you telling them to, because they will act as if they have to go somewhere quick, if you dont tell them otherwise.
Selecting all of them, then hitting 7 and 2, will do wonders alone. Its just awesome seeing them seeking cover, peeking around corners on their own, giving covering fire for you and their teammates, waiting for the others to be in position, then the others cover the one that previously covered them, etc. Seeing them move through a village like that is just awesome.
OFP2 was a childs joke compared to that.

If you follow all this, you will be surprised how you can rip even 3 times as many enemies a new one.

- Mojo Jojo

40. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 18:09 Muscular Beaver

Donkey_Punch wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 13:16:
Until they figure out how to prevent an enemy AI from seeing and killing you with an AK47 from miles away the game will always be for a niche market only.

I am tired of dying from some enemy AI that shoots with super-human precision when I still can't even see him.

I understand your frustration. Sometimes its really unfair, and theres still a lot of tweaking to be done on the AI. However, it is extremely hard to spot enemies in this game, especially when tehre is lots of vegetation around. "Camping" soldiers will always have a huge advantage, because they can spot movement much easier.

The "cheating" AI also relativize once you can spot them better with thermal. You can actually see very well how they seem to cheat. They work together, talk to each other and look the direction where a shot came from.

Yeah, they still cheat sometimes, because they can see through bushes sometimes (though that has become very rare), but you also have to realize that this is no Rambo game. One man would never be able to kill more than 5 people, even in an ambush, before he would get owned without cover. Now, if you have a squad of 11 AIs, this is a total different story. You can accomplish much more with them.

- Mojo Jojo

39. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 18:02 Muscular Beaver

NigerianRoyalty wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 13:33:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 11:50:
Also the player movement can get a little stale at times. It feels clunky. I know it varies and depends on the characters load. And before you say anything I've played old school tactical shooters. I own every Rainbow Six and the original Ghost Recon series with all expansions. I enjoy slower more realistic movements. But again smoothing them out to feel better not faster. I don't want it to be a overly fast paced shooter. Maybe it's just the camera that makes it seem clunky but I doubt it I remember that feeling well while playing the first couple games. Even if this studio only was involved with the first release.

Probably the camera and the artificial mouse lag. I spent hours trying to fix the mouse, which felt like I was pulling around my soldier's face with a rubber band, only to learn from the Arma forums this is intentional and supposed to simulate the weight of your weapon. Why they don't simply make your weapon crosshair lag behind your mouseview is baffling but it was enough to break the game for me.

You can fix that easily by using an TrackIR. In any case, you would still die before you could aim properly.

- Mojo Jojo

38. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 18:00 Muscular Beaver

Dmitri_M wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 13:41:
NigerianRoyalty wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 13:33:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 11:50:
Also the player movement can get a little stale at times. It feels clunky. I know it varies and depends on the characters load. And before you say anything I've played old school tactical shooters. I own every Rainbow Six and the original Ghost Recon series with all expansions. I enjoy slower more realistic movements. But again smoothing them out to feel better not faster. I don't want it to be a overly fast paced shooter. Maybe it's just the camera that makes it seem clunky but I doubt it I remember that feeling well while playing the first couple games. Even if this studio only was involved with the first release.

Probably the camera and the artificial mouse lag. I spent hours trying to fix the mouse, which felt like I was pulling around my soldier's face with a rubber band, only to learn from the Arma forums this is intentional and supposed to simulate the weight of your weapon. Why they don't simply make your weapon crosshair lag behind your mouseview is baffling but it was enough to break the game for me.
Whoever told you the cursor's behaviour was to "simulate the weight of the weapon" was lying. Or you misunderstood them. I presume you simply dragged the floating cursor slider to 0 in the options?

If it's actual lag you're talking about, try the latest patch or beta. They rebuilt the way the game handles mouse input 6 months ago, so there should be improvement if you're experiencing lag.

Not true. Pick up an M16, aim with it. Now do the same thing with an AS50 or an higher caliber MG. HUGE difference. Also very noticeable with AT weapons. Framerates below 30 fps just add to that effect, but they are not really a cause for it.

- Mojo Jojo

24. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 10:49 Muscular Beaver

SXO wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 09:58:
Just take my money already! I've been playing their games since the original Operation Flashpoint, and even when I was getting my ass handed to me by the AI I was still enjoying myself thoroughly. No other game series has made me feel as tense during combat as their games have.

Agreed. Nothing has ever come close to it. And I will never forget my first climb up on a hill and then seeing the awesome countryside with this huge viewing distance. ArmA 2 was beautiful already, but ArmA 3 looks fantastic.

- Mojo Jojo

23. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 10:39 Muscular Beaver

everyone wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 20:05:
Nobody mentioned dumbing down, just a more realistically intuitive control scheme. Basic player movement shouldn't feel like you're trying to fly a Harrier.

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 17:03:
I hate to say this, but dumb down the controls.
Again, I dont know how anyone can say stuff like that. The controls are intuitive, its just a whole different gameplay. You dont need to react as quickly as in MW3 or BF3, because its realistic gameplay.
And still you can get close to those shooter reaction levels, when you actually slow down. You cant run and shoot, and your weapon has a weight, so you cant point it everywhere in a millisecond and fire super accurate instantly. Its that simple. If you dont like realism, stay with your console shooter stuff.

Commanding is also not very hard. Once you know all the commands, its a matter of milliseconds to tell your squad what to do, and you cann tell them almost everything, thats so awesome about this. If you would dumb that down, it would become a stupid console shooter... like for example OFP2.....

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2012, 10:45.

- Mojo Jojo

22. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 8, 2012, 10:37 Muscular Beaver

Quboid wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 21:43:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 19:45:
It actually needs to be even more complex like having moves to climb over a wall, or shoot around corners without looking, etc.

So ... it needs a cover system, something like Mass Effect or Gears of War?

No, not automated crap like that. Thats like autoaiming...

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2012, 10:45.

- Mojo Jojo

9. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 19:45 Muscular Beaver

eunichron wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 19:06:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 19:01:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 17:50:
I hate to say this, but dumb down the controls. I could never get through some of the training due to how the controls are setup, and I refuse to macguyver my desk for my joystick to fit on it.

Also show me some dialog. I couldn't stomach the horrible dialog in whatever version of Arma I have, let alone the 'Move to.... 1...2....1' commands.

I really would love to get into this series but entry level needs to be smoothed out.

One of the dev interviews I've seen on youtube the dev touched on exactly this issue. He said they are making changes so casual players can get into the game a little easier.

People like that will never like Arma, unless it turns into a childish game like BF3 or MW3.
So this is a very bad move.
Arma really doesnt have complex controls for a real PC game, so I dont get it why anyone would complain about it, unless he has console controller glued to his hands.

While I understand they're going for a 'sim' shooter, there is still no reason for 'simulator' to be synonymous with 'horribly implemented, convoluted, and difficult control scheme and interface'.

Which it isnt. It isnt as smooth and fast as MW3 or your typical shooter, because its completely different gameplay. Other shooters are fast. ArmA has actually pretty slow and realistic gameplay.
Yeah, it needs a few tweaks here and there, but dumbing down? No way.
It actually needs to be even more complex like having moves to climb over a wall, or shoot around corners without looking, etc. Thats also why an addon that adds exactly that is so popular, even in multiplayer.
ACE2 also proved that people want even more realistic gameplay.

- Mojo Jojo

7. Re: Arma III Animations Trailer Apr 7, 2012, 19:01 Muscular Beaver

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 17:50:
I hate to say this, but dumb down the controls. I could never get through some of the training due to how the controls are setup, and I refuse to macguyver my desk for my joystick to fit on it.

Also show me some dialog. I couldn't stomach the horrible dialog in whatever version of Arma I have, let alone the 'Move to.... 1...2....1' commands.

I really would love to get into this series but entry level needs to be smoothed out.

One of the dev interviews I've seen on youtube the dev touched on exactly this issue. He said they are making changes so casual players can get into the game a little easier.

People like that will never like Arma, unless it turns into a childish game like BF3 or MW3.
So this is a very bad move.
Arma really doesnt have complex controls for a real PC game, so I dont get it why anyone would complain about it, unless he has a console controller glued to his hands.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
36. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 3, 2012, 05:58 Muscular Beaver

Nope, im not going to buy it. I have not bought a console since the PSX, and it will stay that way even more if they add internet constraint.
And I also know a lot of gamers that have been doing it the same way.

But you are right, there are enough idiots out there, that would even buy a radioactive turd, if it came with enough bling bling.

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Mists of Pandaria Beta Live
15. Re: Mists of Pandaria Beta Live Mar 23, 2012, 02:42 Muscular Beaver

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 10:41:
It is still a good game and doesn't really have a solid competitor.

GW2 will steal some subscribers but it will not be a wow-killer.

Hopefully something comes along and replaces WoW in terms of content and quality before I'm too arthritic to play games.

It was a good game. Cataclysm and following patches made it go down the drain. For a long time PvP kept me playing, but after Cata they even completely fucked that up (and it already was pretty fucked up before that). Not even the easier to obtain arena equipment could save it for me.
Also lag got more and more. Before Cata, it was super fast, low ping, good response. Even 12 months after Cata it felt like they got 5 Million more subscribers while leaving the network capabilities the same. But in fact they lost quite a few subscribers.
So once again, they saved on the wrong ends...

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Diablo III May 15th
31. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 12:05 Muscular Beaver

Finally all those fanboy posts like "AMG!!!!! I CUT MY WRISTS IF DIABLO 3 DOESNT COME OUT TOMORROW!!!!!111" will stop.  

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > CD Project RED Dropping All DRM
20. Re: CD Project RED Dropping All DRM Mar 9, 2012, 05:51 Muscular Beaver

Well, that supports my longtime suspicion that many, many bugs nowadays are because of implemented DRM.  

- Mojo Jojo

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
97. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 10:20 Muscular Beaver

Well, the 1000W+ PSUs and idiotic dual GPU cards need to be sold to someone I guess. One of the best choices to sell it to Steam users, since they have often proved that they swallow anything.  

- Mojo Jojo

1776 Comments. 89 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo