Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaver

Real Name Beaver   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Muscular Beaver
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2002, 23:21
Total Comments 1825 (Pro)
User ID 12928

User comment history
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

News Comments > Gamer's Bill of Rights
72. Signed 100% Aug 30, 2008, 16:42 Muscular Beaver

Now everyone go out and buy Sins of a Solar Empire and Supreme Commander to support em.  

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Interviews
1. No subject Aug 23, 2008, 03:31 Muscular Beaver

"I felt that as a role-playing game, it really sold itself short, and as an action game, it really sold itself short. What it did right was the addiction, the drops."

Alright, so hes saying that only addicts played the previous games.
Some people really need to take some PR lessons...

News Comments > Nordic Games Formed; Wants to be "IKEA" of Games
9. Uh huh Aug 22, 2008, 11:25 Muscular Beaver

IKEA = missing screws, pre-damaged stuff and crappy service.

Oooohhhkay, if you want to be that way...

News Comments > UK Anti-Piracy Campaign
27. No subject Aug 20, 2008, 11:33 Muscular Beaver

I'm from Germany too and have been following this developement. Kajetan is right. Parker is talking bullshit.
Nothing more to say.

News Comments > Crysis on the Cheap
13. Re: LOL Aug 19, 2008, 11:04 Muscular Beaver

Here in Europe everything is quite a lot more expensive. For example a full tank of gas in one of Yerlis Ferrari is $200.  

News Comments > EverQuest & EverQuest II to Expand
30. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2008, 16:51 Muscular Beaver

I never liked the standard interface either. Thats what eqinterface.com is for.

I cant remember any quick config options for EQ. It was always this way.

On the other side it takes me 1 day to find and download all necessary WoW addons and configure them. Thats why I didnt delete it this time when I left.

News Comments > ArmA II Next Year
13. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2008, 15:44 Muscular Beaver

OFP was extremely buggy when it came out. I remember I got stuck in buildings all the time for example. I think they made like 12 bazillion patches before it got playable. But even unplayable it was too much fun to not play.

The worst thing though were the cheaters. There were only a few compared to other shooters like CS, but still they could get extremely annyoing because they could kill you outside of the viewing distance, shot through bushes, trees and hid behind houses and killed you when you didnt look in their direction, so you couldnt really tell if someone was cheating. But after spectating them, you could tell.
That made me only play Coop maps, which were awesome too. Actually my best memories are from coop maps.

I hope they get a good anti cheating engine this time.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 15:58.

28. Re: Hmmm Aug 18, 2008, 14:57 Muscular Beaver

Now, i tried Everquest, i really did. But this was 8 years ago. I bought a version that had the first XP in it and played for a total of 8 hours (yes, 8 hours) and got to like level 5 or 6 and never played again. Would it be worth my time and money to try it out? What about expansions? How would those work for me?

Since I dont know what you like about MMORPGs and what you hate about them, I cant really help you. I think the package with all expansions costs like $10 and the first month is free of charge, so I doubt you would waste a lot of money if you simply tried it out.

27. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2008, 14:55 Muscular Beaver

So how does Everquest (1 or 2) compare to WoW? I really, really hate WOW with a passion, and I know WoW is sort of a clone of the original Everquest.

Are they mostly PvE or PvP oriented?

EQ is purely PvE. There is a PvP server, but since the game is so centered on PvE, the balance is... well... uh... hehe

If WoW was your first MMORPG, I doubt you will like EQ, because EQ is much different. Its more complicated and you have to do more things before you get somewhere. But as I said in a different post, it was much worse before. Now you actually get nice items from quests which are even more useable than the ones you get from WoW quests.

Cant say much about EQ2 since I only played it for a month. But it has an awesome atmosphere. I didnt like the class system (classes are too similar now) and linked mobs.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 15:10.

26. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2008, 14:50 Muscular Beaver

I didn't spew shit. I quite clearly stated that was my experience from the last time I played, and when that was. Sorry it upset you so much.

Didnt sound like that. Sorry if I offended you.

It's interesting to hear they have changed the game that drastically.

With that said, how drastically has it really changed?

http://random-battle.com/2007/11/24/fixing-everquest-classic/

This article from less than a year ago pretty much describes the Everquest I've always known. So have things changed that much in the last 9 months? I haven't heard that, except from you. But it's also difficult to find recent tales of leveling as there are far fewer players these days and searches are polluted with Everquest 2 results and irrelevant stories from the last 10 years.

You think I lie to you?
I actually started last year in june and stopped after a month because my friends didnt want to leave WoW. It took me a whole month to get to 60 and I only got 12 AAs. Even though I played at least twice as much as nowadays.

Now I came back and the game is totally different.
Back then it took me ages to level to level 60. Now its a walk in the park. My friends who are extremely casual gamers already have 3 60+ chars, 1 of them level 66 with 200+ AAs. They started in july too.

I guess you sold your account or you would have noticed the Living Legacy where you could play EQ for 2 months without charge and get all expansions for free plus some very nice items and noticed it for yourself how much this game has changed.

EQ is extremely easy now. If someone says otherwise, he has no clue at all. Even back then in Nov 2007, it already was much faster to level than before. Sure, it gets "hard" (more like challenging) at higher levels, but up until about 70 its pretty easy because of the easy to obtain equipment now. Look at the stats I told you in my previous posts. Those are insane for level 65.
EQ is even starting to add zones that drop nice equip but only require a group. No more need to raid. Personally I dont like raiding anyway, not in EQ, nor in WoW or other MMORPGs.

Anyway, yes its still harder (more challenging) than WoW. But honestly, WoW is so easy and dumbed down that it makes me loose brain cells when I play it now. I actually avoid PvE in WoW like the pest. PvP is an unbalanced POS anyway which only makes you mad.

If you dont look back to EQ and dont remember with joy the times where you camped this or that with your friends for hours, I dont think EQ is for you anyway.

21. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2008, 03:11 Muscular Beaver

As for leveling...sure you can level from 1 to 60 in a few days if you have twinked gear, 2 boxing or power leveling friend to help you out and 16+ hours a day. When I played it was about 48 hours of power leveling from 1 to 50. 50 to 60 was a few more days, and I can't imagine what it's like from 60 to 70 or 70 to 80.

Wrong.
I just leveled the normal way without twinking and without Powerleveling.
Its a few days from 1-60, even if you only play a few hours a day. I bet I would be 80 already with 1000 AAs if I had been playing 16 hours a day (since mid-july).
A lot has changed.
Even 60-80 isnt bad. But noone does that anymore. Everyone does lots of AAs before they level on. Ive been 65 for 2 weeks now just to get some AAs. I could have been 80 in a few days.
They increased overall exp, they added hot zones (which give more exp if you level there) and as I said good/awesome equipment is far easiert to get now, even if you are a newbie without zillions of platinum in the bank. I am level 65 and right now have 8k hp and mana (!!!). I can solo in Bastion of Thunder and get 18-20% AA exp per kill.
As I said, a lot has changed.

But to answer the real question on what it would take for a NEW player to the game, it would take months, possibly more than a year to level up without power-leveling or any twinking. And even then, I can't speak for the expansions after Gates of Discord, but Planes of Power zone requirements are absolutely fucking ridiculous, which is one of the things that led me to quitting. Good luck for new players to find guilds still doing the old content that requires DAYS & WEEKS of farming crap for key components and then 3 to 7 days respawn on raid mobs that give crap loot, and are really only there for zone flags.

Again wrong. Leveling isnt the problem. AAs are the "problem". The cap is somewhere near 2300 now. But as I said those keep you playing. You always have something to improve your char.
Most key-requirements have been removed, old content isnt visited much anymore anyway because the new content is much better in all aspects and guilds are still recruiting strong. You also still find lots of groups as a newbie.

As you said it yourself, you left after Planes of Power. Do you really think a MMORPG stays the same for over 6 years?
Please get your facts straight before you start spewing out things next time.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 03:20.

4. Re: Hours? Aug 17, 2008, 16:05 Muscular Beaver

I wonder how many hours it takes in Everquest for a new player to start a character, reach maximum level, and get all of the best gear currently available. How many 1,000s of hours?

Its not that bad anymore. Right now you can level from 1 to 60 in a matter of days. Good/awesome gear got much more available too.
Getting 2k+ AAs, now thats a challenge. But it keeps you playing, unlike just stupid equipment grind in WoW.

News Comments > Maxis: Spore Doesn't Need Demo, Does Need DRM
38. They are forgetting something Aug 16, 2008, 04:12 Muscular Beaver

The guys that make pirate versions of the game love it when they add copy protections to their games. The harder it is to crack, the sooner it will be cracked because theres a real competition between the cracker groups. They even dislike each other a lot and always want to be faster than the other group.

So, dear very smart publishers, go on and add DRMs to you games. Waste lots of money and other resources on them, and ultimatively only pay crackers their hobbies.
Very kind of you, but you also forget about the honest buyers who always have hassles with your DRMs, even though you say otherwise.

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Announced
16. Re: Awesome! Aug 15, 2008, 16:39 Muscular Beaver

Nope, never completed it that way.  

14. Re: Awesome! Aug 15, 2008, 03:42 Muscular Beaver

Yeah I found out that tactic pretty quickly, but it just wasnt fun, so I simply tried to get more islands.  

5. Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 17:12 Muscular Beaver

I just hope they do it right.
I also played it to death on the Amiga.

More remakes please!

News Comments > Crysis Warhead Next Month
20. lol Aug 13, 2008, 15:14 Muscular Beaver

Sorry but I didnt buy their first POS, and I wont buy their second POS.
Why should I support such a developer and such a publisher? Other people might be that stupid, but Im not.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2008 Tickets on Sale
15. Re: lol Aug 12, 2008, 03:15 Muscular Beaver

And that's exactly why they have a limit on how many tickets people can buy...

O RLY?
Maybe I have 200 chinese farmer friends who will lend me their accounts.

Anyway, dont be so serious, nin.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2008 Tickets on Sale
10. lol Aug 11, 2008, 17:25 Muscular Beaver

I'll buy 200 of them and resell em for $1000 to stupid fanboys. Blizzard has a lot of those.  

News Comments > New Creative Labs ALchemy
21. ... Aug 10, 2008, 09:27 Muscular Beaver

I've also owned Soundblasters since the SB Pro and never really had a problem with em (ok, I had a defective SB 16 ASP once, but got it replaced by a functioning one).
Yes, I had the problem with the VIA chipsets, but as someone else already said, its was VIAs fault but could be fixed with a patch.

However, Ive also tried several other brands and always had huge problems with em. I had several Audioblasters for example which all were crappy, 2 Orchid soundcards which never worked 100% and a few others (incl. Turtlebeach) which also never worked well.

Audigys are also very popular in the Car-PC scene, because they offer such an awesome and very customizable audio processor. And if you call those guys idiots, youre one yourself.

Oh yeah, I think I already mentioned in another thread that I built PCs for a few years and we were always using Soundblasters as standard soundcards. Never did we get any complaints about the soundcards, unless the user misconfigured it.

1825 Comments. 92 pages. Viewing page 52.
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo