Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steele Johnson

Real Name Steele Johnson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Steele Johnson
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 5, 2002, 20:41
Total Comments 907 (Graduate)
User ID 12787

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Sea Goes Free
4. Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea Goes Free Nov 30, 2010, 15:25 Steele Johnson

Yes, it's like all the other free mmos: it's free until you need a game to play.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor
51. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor Nov 23, 2010, 15:51 Steele Johnson

Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 13:37:
Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 13:32:
nin wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 11:21:
I'd be a lot more excited about a Bethesda game if the NPCs weren't all cardboard cutouts.

Here's hoping...

I agree. Their games are definitely the most lifeless. They need to make the environments more like Assassin's Creed or at least GTA IV. If they could pull that off, they'd really have something (I'm talking about the amount of npc activity, obviously).

The stiff animations and such is mostly a 'feature' of Gamebryo, so let's hope that they'll indeed switch to the RAGE engine, and it'll do much better.

I can't help but think that Bethesda sees the reception of FO:NV, and realizes that it definitely beats FO3 in sheer immersion and depth.

Creston

Has anyone seen a game using the RAGE engine? The only one I've seen is the Rage iPhone app, which generally demonstrates an on-rails, closed quarters shooter like all the id games. Show me a shipped game that uses the RAGE engine and then I'll pass judgement.

Anyhow, the most impressive game engine I've seen to date is Anvil. It may not have all the bells and whistles that the RAGE engine has, but it really can handle a lot of npc AI (huge crowds) without any noticeable slowdowns. Even the Euphora game engine would be better than Gamebryo. That's the kind of stuff I look for in a game. Good AI and a lot of activity.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2010, 15:57.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor
23. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Rumor Nov 23, 2010, 13:32 Steele Johnson

nin wrote on Nov 23, 2010, 11:21:
I'd be a lot more excited about a Bethesda game if the NPCs weren't all cardboard cutouts.

Here's hoping...

I agree. Their games are definitely the most lifeless. They need to make the environments more like Assassin's Creed or at least GTA IV. If they could pull that off, they'd really have something (I'm talking about the amount of npc activity, obviously).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2010, 14:08 Steele Johnson

TVs will come standard with Kinect-like features in the near future. Companies are already looking at making the remote obsolete.  

News Comments > Two Worlds II Patch
3. Re: Two Worlds II Patch Nov 19, 2010, 14:06 Steele Johnson

I'm actually surprised of the lack of reviews based on the Euro release. Wasn't this game supposed to be a "better Oblivion"?  

News Comments > WoW Welcomes You Back
27. Re: WoW Welcomes You Back Nov 15, 2010, 15:59 Steele Johnson

GayBlade wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 10:54:
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Bertrand Russell

For my part, I have wasted a lot of time in WoW and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Cheers!

Same here. But I'm one of those people that are able to take things in moderation.

My (small) guild just gets together once or twice per week to play and it's still a lot of fun. I'm definitely really looking forward to this expansion.

News Comments > Harmonix for Sale
8. Re: Harmonix for Sale Nov 11, 2010, 15:15 Steele Johnson

WiillyWonka wrote on Nov 11, 2010, 13:44:
I'll play the Patcher and say that RB3 will be a big seller during the holiday season.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Making a music tutoring system requires more expensive hardware, which won't be that appealing to parents who want to buy a video game for their kids. They should have stuck with making a fun party game and not try to teach people how to play an instrument. There's other software out there that does a far better job if you're serious, and they don't sell nearly as much as a fun video game.

News Comments > Harmonix for Sale
4. Re: Harmonix for Sale Nov 11, 2010, 11:03 Steele Johnson

I knew this was going to happen. When you go from the video game business to the music tutoring business, you should expect profits to decline drastically. What a bunch of fools. All their fans raised the flag on the forums, too. DOH!  

News Comments > K2 Buys APB?
5. Re: K2 Buys APB? Nov 11, 2010, 10:56 Steele Johnson

This is good news (if true). This game has so much potential. Hopefully they'll have a forum for game design input.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2010, 12:47 Steele Johnson

"More charges for Rock Band 3 DLC."

When your new game sells like shit because you didn't do what your fan base wanted, take it out on your fans and milk them for more money. DOH!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 4, 2010, 10:11 Steele Johnson

I very much doubt that sales will be that high. Devs struggle to design games made for motion, so the software will be pointless. They may get a spike in sales because of holiday and hype, but I think it will die off fast. Most people want to relax while they play games anyway.  

News Comments > Tribes Universe Interview
5. Re: Tribes Universe Interview Nov 2, 2010, 12:42 Steele Johnson

Did everybody miss the part of it being an mmo? It's not going to be a Tribes shooter remake or the next shooter in the series. They bought the Tribes franchise in order to make an mmo with it. That doesn't rule out them allowing other developers to extend the franchise by making another multiplayer shooter.

They're simply set out to make an mmo. Period. From what I gathered after reading the interview is that it's going to be similar to Planetside (not a bad thing at all) where you attempt to hold control or take control of different areas. Sounds like fun to me. Their biggest challenge is obviously game design. Planetside didn't quite get it right, so hopefully they look at all the games and determine what went wrong and then propose fixes to the model.

What's interesting is that SOE is currently working on Planetside 2. And I have this feeling that both games will be released around the same time.

News Comments > Tribes Universe Testing Signups
25. Re: Tribes Universe Testing Signups Oct 28, 2010, 18:30 Steele Johnson

Basing it on Tribes 2 worries me. Starsiege: Tribes had a very unique feel, and it was lost with Tribes 2. Not to say Tribes 2 wasn't fun; just saying Tribes 1 had something special that no other game had. Tribes 2 leaned towards a more military feel that a lot FPSs already had. I hope they change their direction.  

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 26, 2010, 18:51 Steele Johnson

Yes. I'm thinking that Rock Band 3 isn't going to sell as well as some people think. The problem is that the new features that really stand out are for the hardcore (i.e. minority) and the instruments are very expensive. The thing about Rock Band 1/2 is that it was accessible to the masses. There's nothing really new for casual players in this one. Bad move I think.  

News Comments > TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced
52. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 25, 2010, 18:07 Steele Johnson

Jerykk wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 00:44:
Lol wut. T3 was by far the complete opposite of T2 and much faster than T1. Vehicles were borderline useless because you can get around maps so quickly with just your jetback.

T:V was definitely not faster than T1. See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOAaixGw27o&feature=related

That's showing Tribes using a mod. There is no way that you could get that high up using base Tribes.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2010, 16:23 Steele Johnson

I don't use Apple products which means that I'm cooler than people who do!  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
19. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 25, 2010, 15:49 Steele Johnson

One game the stands out as a truly innovative FPS; Starsiege: Tribes. To this day, nothing compares.  

News Comments > Blizzard on the DOTA Trademark
20. Re: Blizzard on the DOTA Trademark Oct 25, 2010, 15:46 Steele Johnson

I think DOTA is a bad name/acronym anyway. They should just create a new genre and come up with a name that actually describes what it is.  

25. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 24, 2010, 19:22 Steele Johnson

I agree. Tribes 2 and T.V. were both fun, but nothing compares to the original Starsiege: Tribes. I hope the people making this game have all played the original. There's no way it will work with just the name. Here's hoping they don't f&%$ this up!  

18. Re: TRIBES Acquired, Tribes Universe Announced Oct 24, 2010, 17:54 Steele Johnson

They better not give Tribes a bad name! I'm really hoping this becomes what I can imagine.  

907 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo