Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steele Johnson

Real Name Steele Johnson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Steele Johnson
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 5, 2002, 20:41
Total Comments 920 (Graduate)
User ID 12787

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft Grosses ~$33M
20. Re: Minecraft Grosses ~$33M Apr 6, 2011, 16:45 Steele Johnson

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 15:23:

Indies proving the PC market may not make you filthy billionaire, but they can make you just a millionaire.

Good news both for indies and the PC market since it proves it is very, very viable for an indie.
There are hundreds and hundreds of indie games out there on Steam that don't seem to amount to anything. Minecraft is and always will be a fluke. Everyday I boot up Steam, I see the advertisement for some unknown indie game that's been released, close it, and never hear of it again.

I'm not saying there isn't a market, but there are tons of indie games out there that amount to nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Dude, most new companies, projects, products, fail. Somewhere around 97% of them. When something succeeds, it should not be considered a fluke. A fluke means it was pure luck. What separates luck from success is hard work. Don't ever forget that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2011, 13:18 Steele Johnson

"Something that's lousy, that's very inexpensive, is not going to be successful, and something that's pricey will ultimately find its audience if there's enough value there."

Is this what they pay executives to say? What the hell?

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2011, 13:01 Steele Johnson

What are you talking about? I can download most of the console games I want right from the console. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are building up their online stores as we speak. It has nothing to do with Steam.

It's a lot like the Blockbuster scenario. You either drive to the store and pay for an overpriced game, or you download it to your console in the background without having to drive anywhere.

News Comments > PlanetSide Next Plans
7. Re: PlanetSide Next Plans Apr 4, 2011, 17:47 Steele Johnson

Linksil wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 16:43:
Planetside is right alongside tribes with the whole changed the way I loved fps's online.

I agree. It's games like these that made bunny hopping and all those other ridiculous gameplay styles obsolete. Personally, I think Tribes was superior to Planetside, but that's only because the Planetside designer screwed up the design and then tried to fix it only to make it worse. The original Planetside had so much potential; If only they were given the resources to REALLY make it better. Hopefully this time they have the talent.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 1, 2011, 12:54 Steele Johnson

I think a lot of people downloaded IE9, but then found out that there was nothing special about it and went back to their favorite browser.  

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Next Month
9. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Next Month Mar 31, 2011, 16:27 Steele Johnson

I keep trying to play Magicka and I get literally 5 minutes in and give up every time in frustration/boredom. Does it eventually get fun?  

News Comments > Hawken Gameplay Trailer
10. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 11:57 Steele Johnson

Yifes wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 11:02:
nin wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 10:49:
Yeah, the sounds were top notch too. I was watching it last night and was amazed.

Throw some SP on that bad boy and they have a sale.

Multiplayer only. http://kotaku.com/#!5780912/nine-guys-giant-mechs-and-2011s-sexiest-indie-game

They're a tiny developer and don't have the resources to do a single player campaign.

Good! I'd rather they focus on one or the other. Not both.

News Comments > Dungeons DLC Released
6. Re: Dungeons DLC Released Mar 30, 2011, 20:48 Steele Johnson

JaguarUSF wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 18:20:
Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 16:54:
Actually, if there wasn't a demo, you'd probably want the opposite of what you asked: "are there any people who haven't played Dungeon Keeper who played this?"

I didn't play Dungeon Keeper, and I did not care for Dungeons.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'll still try out the demo.

News Comments > The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes
32. Re: The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes Mar 30, 2011, 17:14 Steele Johnson

I'd be happy with a new clone of Tribes 1 but with better graphics, sound, vehicles with a purpose, community interface, and mod tools. That's all that's needed!  

News Comments > Dungeons DLC Released
4. Re: Dungeons DLC Released Mar 30, 2011, 16:54 Steele Johnson

Ratty wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 13:21:
OK, I know it's not Dungeon Keeper (sigh), and I've read some reviews that say it's rather mediocre, but have any other Dungeon Keeper fans played this? Is it worth picking up? I mean the original game, not the DLC.

Actually, if there wasn't a demo, you'd probably want the opposite of what you asked: "are there any people who haven't played Dungeon Keeper who played this?"

Remember, people hate change (or can't handle it). So if something is new to something, you'll get better feedback.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2011, 17:08.

News Comments > The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes
1. Re: The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes Mar 29, 2011, 21:29 Steele Johnson

What a horrible label to have. But it was obviously management who killed the franchise. I kind of feel bad for the guy.  

News Comments > Molyneux Wants a Say in Syndicate Remake
16. Re: Molyneux Wants a Say in Syndicate Remake Mar 29, 2011, 11:25 Steele Johnson

Jackplug wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 04:05:
I think Molyneux is the best, cos he wont let anything go until hes happy with it, his games always try to be inovative and different..

I agree. People bitch and moan that the same ol' games just get rehashed. Here's a guy that tries to do something different every time (albeit, not always succeeding), and people complain. I think the benefit of the doubt should go to the innovator even if the end result is a letdown to some. He has designed some amazing games that don't compare to anything else. I hope he does it again because I feel he deserves it. Some people get lucky with an innovative game; some people try to be innovative and fail. It's not easy, and I have a lot of respect for this guy.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2011, 11:30.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 11:48 Steele Johnson

Most people who bash CoD never even played the freakin' game, so don't listen to the naysayers.  

News Comments > Gold - Elements of War
2. Re: Gold - Elements of War Mar 26, 2011, 00:29 Steele Johnson

I don't know what has been more stagnant, mmos or rts. Both are very tired game mechanics. FPS is starting to get that way too.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2011, 15:45 Steele Johnson

InBlack wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 10:21:
Elisabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were my all time favorite screen pair. May they R.I.P. in the minds of those who remember them...

She was gorgeous, sexy goddess in her prime. R.I.P.

News Comments > AMD Knocks DirectX
22. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 15:35 Steele Johnson

What should really go away is Windows as a gaming platform. It's getting to the point where you don't need a bloated operating system anymore. I'd like to see a stand-alone gaming platform that will run on any operating system, like Google Chrome, HP WebOS, etc. Those are the types of OS's we'll see in the near future (light, thin, and boots up like a light switch). DirectX does need to go away because just like anything Microsoft, it prevents advancements in technology.  

News Comments > Atari Signs TERA
3. Re: Atari Signs TERA Mar 17, 2011, 12:36 Steele Johnson

Timing the launch is really important on this one. Otherwise, I agree, the art direction, gfx, animation, etc, look amazing for an mmo.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
9. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 16, 2011, 11:48 Steele Johnson

InBlack wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 11:06:
Im sorry but I really dont get the second part of that quote. Unless pointing out the obvious is the point. Which in itself is very telling.

He's basically saying that for a pc game, you can give the beta testers shit code, but for console games, it needs to be less shitty before you can start the beta.

News Comments > Prototype 2 Trailer
8. Re: Prototype 2 Trailer Mar 15, 2011, 11:23 Steele Johnson

Yeah, I was one of the suckers that bought the first one. Bored 1 hour into play.  

News Comments > Blizzard Playing Titan Already
33. Re: Blizzard Playing Titan Already Mar 9, 2011, 18:55 Steele Johnson

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 12:37:
Blizzard made stellar games, Diable, Starcraft, and Warcraft, but in the last TEN years, what have they brought to the "masses" other than just WOW updates? Nothing! They are Cashlords now, so they can lean back and do as they please. Diablo3, for it to be out this year, they need to announce the date prior end of Q2, or it will be a 2012 release.

Blizzard doesn't need to release stuff just for the sake of releasing stuff. They do what they've always done: spend a looonnnggg time developing a game that will make money for a lonnnggggg time after its release. That's their business model. They couldn't care less if you've aged 10 years between games.

920 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo