Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steele Johnson

Real Name Steele Johnson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Steele Johnson
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 5, 2002, 20:41
Total Comments 907 (Graduate)
User ID 12787

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Apr 14, 2011, 15:31 Steele Johnson

Verno wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 13:56:
While I don't agree entirely with your thoughts Steele I would note that while 5 year dev times can lead to a classic like Dragon Age: Origins, it doesn't mean that large quantities of time guarantees quality as evidenced by Mafia II. On the flipside though short dev times seem to produce mediocre crap like Crackdown 2 and Dragon Age 2 the majority of the time.

Verno, when I said "You can't expect "time" to have any factor in that; the game designer still has to create something special." I meant it in terms of past and present, not how long it takes to make a great game. My point was that it's still up to the designer to create an amazing game. There's very little difference between now and then. So when I hear gamers say that older games are better than the games coming out today, I just have to laugh, because as a long time gamer, I've been finding great games all along the way. Some of the best games I've ever played came out this year and last, and I've played all the popular console and pc games that came out since the 80's. But of course, everyone has their own taste.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Apr 14, 2011, 13:53 Steele Johnson

PropheT wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 12:24:
Prez wrote on Apr 14, 2011, 12:09:
I personally am not a multiplayer person, though I will moonlight as cannon fodder every now and again if TF2, BF2, and Bad Company. The whole value/justification for a game's price for me is in it's single player. 4 hours is not a full-price purchase for me, unless the 4-hour campaign is so re-playable that it can be finished multiple times for maximum enjoyment, in essence making it an 8 or 12 hour game.

I don't disagree with you, but the only full price games I can think of off the top of my head that have a 4-hour single player campaign are shooters designed for their multiplayer anyway. It's pretty rare to find a game that's really that short that's not a $20 budget title.

I also disagree with the people saying that good games are hard to come by these days. I'm 34, been gaming for more like 28-29 years, and games now are better than they ever were unless you're either blinded by nostalgia or more understandably really, really liked how the more simplistic classic games worked. Those games are still around and being made by indie developers, though, so there's something for everyone out there.

I agree for the most part. I'm a 35+ gamer and have been playing games for a long time. I don't think that good games are harder to find than they were years ago. The difference is that there's more games coming out today. Out of the pile of games that come out each year, there's probably just a few good ones. Years ago, there weren't as many games coming out and there was far less competition but there were still "just a few good ones" that came out each year.

It seems like a lot of older gamers expect that after all these years, more great games should be coming out. But that just isn't the way it works. A great game is something magical that a developer creates. You can't expect "time" to have any factor in that; the game designer still has to create something special.

I'm just as happy with games today as I was 20 years ago. The only difference for me is that I don't have as much time, and I think more developers should think outside of the box a little more. But other than that, I can always find great games to play to fill a year's time; just like 10 or even 20 years ago.

I think most people who complain about the games today are just stuck in their own memories and can't find their way out. Sure, lots of memorable games of yester-year, but there are lots to remember coming out today.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2011, 13:59.

News Comments > John Carmack RAGE Interview
14. Re: John Carmack RAGE Interview Apr 13, 2011, 17:45 Steele Johnson

This will probably be the first id software game that I will not buy.  

News Comments > PS3 Steam Details
20. Re: PS3 Steam Details Apr 13, 2011, 17:42 Steele Johnson

This is awesome news!! +2 for Valve!  

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer
8. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Gameplay Trailer Apr 12, 2011, 13:51 Steele Johnson

Dirwulf wrote on Apr 12, 2011, 12:18:
"38 Studios founder Curt Schilling said that the style of the game would be a marriage between God of War and Oblivion."

Is there anything Curt Schilling can't do? I wonder how much input he actually had on the games they are making.

He probably had a lot of input considering that he has been playing rpgs and mmos for 20 years. The guys was a huge Everquest fan.

News Comments > Piranha Bytes Getting Gothic Back?
5. Re: Piranha Bytes Getting Gothic Back? Apr 11, 2011, 11:19 Steele Johnson

yuastnav wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 11:17:
I just wish they would make something new.
Gothic 1 was awesome, to me it's still the best game I've probably played so far, Gothic 2 was okay but the add-on made it great again. Gothic 3 was mediocre but still fun. Gothic 4... uh, I mean Risen, was a little bit like a mix between Gothic 3 and Gothic 2 and I cannot say I am very happy about that. While it was still a good enough game I want to see something new and seeing as they are making Risen 2 it kind of makes me sad but it also makes me think that not all is lost yet and that they actually might do something else after it.
But if it's really true that they may be able to get the rights to Gothic back it would be disastrous. Nothing would keep them from making ANOTHER Gothic game and I'm kinda tired of them, I wonder why other people aren't.

I agree. Gothic 1 is definitely on the top of my list of all-time favorite rpgs. After Gothic 1, it went downhill from there.

On the other hand, Risen was a really good game as well. Piranha Bytes have proven to be one of the best rpg developers out there. I hope they get the rights back.

News Comments > BioWare on Mass Effect MMO Possibilities
9. Re: BioWare on Mass Effect MMO Possibilities Apr 11, 2011, 11:16 Steele Johnson

We'll see how they handle an mmo soon. I'm not holding my breath.  

News Comments > Minecraft Grosses ~$33M
20. Re: Minecraft Grosses ~$33M Apr 6, 2011, 16:45 Steele Johnson

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 15:23:

Indies proving the PC market may not make you filthy billionaire, but they can make you just a millionaire.

Good news both for indies and the PC market since it proves it is very, very viable for an indie.
There are hundreds and hundreds of indie games out there on Steam that don't seem to amount to anything. Minecraft is and always will be a fluke. Everyday I boot up Steam, I see the advertisement for some unknown indie game that's been released, close it, and never hear of it again.

I'm not saying there isn't a market, but there are tons of indie games out there that amount to nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Dude, most new companies, projects, products, fail. Somewhere around 97% of them. When something succeeds, it should not be considered a fluke. A fluke means it was pure luck. What separates luck from success is hard work. Don't ever forget that.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 6, 2011, 13:18 Steele Johnson

"Something that's lousy, that's very inexpensive, is not going to be successful, and something that's pricey will ultimately find its audience if there's enough value there."

Is this what they pay executives to say? What the hell?

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2011, 13:01 Steele Johnson

What are you talking about? I can download most of the console games I want right from the console. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are building up their online stores as we speak. It has nothing to do with Steam.

It's a lot like the Blockbuster scenario. You either drive to the store and pay for an overpriced game, or you download it to your console in the background without having to drive anywhere.

News Comments > PlanetSide Next Plans
7. Re: PlanetSide Next Plans Apr 4, 2011, 17:47 Steele Johnson

Linksil wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 16:43:
Planetside is right alongside tribes with the whole changed the way I loved fps's online.

I agree. It's games like these that made bunny hopping and all those other ridiculous gameplay styles obsolete. Personally, I think Tribes was superior to Planetside, but that's only because the Planetside designer screwed up the design and then tried to fix it only to make it worse. The original Planetside had so much potential; If only they were given the resources to REALLY make it better. Hopefully this time they have the talent.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 1, 2011, 12:54 Steele Johnson

I think a lot of people downloaded IE9, but then found out that there was nothing special about it and went back to their favorite browser.  

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Next Month
9. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Next Month Mar 31, 2011, 16:27 Steele Johnson

I keep trying to play Magicka and I get literally 5 minutes in and give up every time in frustration/boredom. Does it eventually get fun?  

News Comments > Hawken Gameplay Trailer
10. Re: Hawken Gameplay Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 11:57 Steele Johnson

Yifes wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 11:02:
nin wrote on Mar 31, 2011, 10:49:
Yeah, the sounds were top notch too. I was watching it last night and was amazed.

Throw some SP on that bad boy and they have a sale.

Multiplayer only. http://kotaku.com/#!5780912/nine-guys-giant-mechs-and-2011s-sexiest-indie-game

They're a tiny developer and don't have the resources to do a single player campaign.

Good! I'd rather they focus on one or the other. Not both.

News Comments > Dungeons DLC Released
6. Re: Dungeons DLC Released Mar 30, 2011, 20:48 Steele Johnson

JaguarUSF wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 18:20:
Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 16:54:
Actually, if there wasn't a demo, you'd probably want the opposite of what you asked: "are there any people who haven't played Dungeon Keeper who played this?"

I didn't play Dungeon Keeper, and I did not care for Dungeons.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'll still try out the demo.

News Comments > The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes
32. Re: The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes Mar 30, 2011, 17:14 Steele Johnson

I'd be happy with a new clone of Tribes 1 but with better graphics, sound, vehicles with a purpose, community interface, and mod tools. That's all that's needed!  

News Comments > Dungeons DLC Released
4. Re: Dungeons DLC Released Mar 30, 2011, 16:54 Steele Johnson

Ratty wrote on Mar 30, 2011, 13:21:
OK, I know it's not Dungeon Keeper (sigh), and I've read some reviews that say it's rather mediocre, but have any other Dungeon Keeper fans played this? Is it worth picking up? I mean the original game, not the DLC.

Actually, if there wasn't a demo, you'd probably want the opposite of what you asked: "are there any people who haven't played Dungeon Keeper who played this?"

Remember, people hate change (or can't handle it). So if something is new to something, you'll get better feedback.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2011, 17:08.

News Comments > The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes
1. Re: The Man Who "Killed" Starsiege Tribes Mar 29, 2011, 21:29 Steele Johnson

What a horrible label to have. But it was obviously management who killed the franchise. I kind of feel bad for the guy.  

News Comments > Molyneux Wants a Say in Syndicate Remake
16. Re: Molyneux Wants a Say in Syndicate Remake Mar 29, 2011, 11:25 Steele Johnson

Jackplug wrote on Mar 29, 2011, 04:05:
I think Molyneux is the best, cos he wont let anything go until hes happy with it, his games always try to be inovative and different..

I agree. People bitch and moan that the same ol' games just get rehashed. Here's a guy that tries to do something different every time (albeit, not always succeeding), and people complain. I think the benefit of the doubt should go to the innovator even if the end result is a letdown to some. He has designed some amazing games that don't compare to anything else. I hope he does it again because I feel he deserves it. Some people get lucky with an innovative game; some people try to be innovative and fail. It's not easy, and I have a lot of respect for this guy.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2011, 11:30.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 28, 2011, 11:48 Steele Johnson

Most people who bash CoD never even played the freakin' game, so don't listen to the naysayers.  

907 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo