Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steele Johnson

Real Name Steele Johnson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Steele Johnson
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 5, 2002, 20:41
Total Comments 910 (Graduate)
User ID 12787

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads
18. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:14 Steele Johnson

It turned out to be a very good game indeed. And probably the best free-to-play model I've ever seen. Other companies should follow.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 38 Studios in Financial Trouble?
11. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 23:19 Steele Johnson

I think the game is a lot of fun.  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Patched
1. Re: Tribes Ascend Patched May 9, 2012, 22:17 Steele Johnson

Sweet! Looking forward to the new map!  

News Comments > The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons
12. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 7, 2012, 21:44 Steele Johnson

That's what they get for sinking all that money into a dying genre. Do some market research the next time, EA! Doh!  

News Comments > Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement
27. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 4, 2012, 01:26 Steele Johnson

A little late to the burned out genre.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Apr 23, 2012, 23:30 Steele Johnson

I knew The Secret World was going to be your basic mmo with a different theme. Levels or not, skill system or not, it's still a boring mmo. This genre is really hurting. I really think the only hope we have for this genre is the upcoming mmofps games. Planetside 2, Dust 514, etc. At least it will be fun while grinding. The problem with all standard mmos these days is that they're just not fun anymore.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Apr 18, 2012, 23:04 Steele Johnson

Another perfect 10!  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 18, 2012, 22:50 Steele Johnson

Toejam & Earl III, BEST co-op game ever! I would love to see another one!  

News Comments > Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play
34. Re: Origin Bans No Longer Cover Solo Play Apr 17, 2012, 00:07 Steele Johnson

No Origin for me. I do not trust that company at all.  

News Comments > EA Denies Layoff Rumor
43. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 17, 2012, 00:05 Steele Johnson

I can believe the rumor. A lot of money went into the development of their Star Wars mmo even though everyone and their f'n grandmother knew that the mmo genre bubble had already burst, and limiting their online sales of their latest games to the Origin spyware platform.

What did they expect? Clueless execs with no common sense.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
27. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:42 Steele Johnson

free gifts ->> merged servers ->> going free to play ->> good night  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
45. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 19:13 Steele Johnson

loomy wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 19:04:
what bf3 taught me is that I'll play a shitty unlocking game for a while to unlock things so I can see what the game is really like.

what this tribes news story taught me is that I won't do that very often. I won't be putting myself through that again for a long time.

since I'm probably not alone I think all these companies racing toward the imaginary gold mine of free-to-play are going to get burnt when the player base dries up. then they'll smack their foreheads when they realize people will pay for a good game. the cycle continues

I think in this case, it's a little bit different. Tribes is a skill based games. Skill based games usually have a smaller player base when compared to games like Skyrim. So the only way they have a chance to make a good amount of money from this game, is by nickle and diming their player base with this type of business model. Serious Tribes gamers will fork out the cash.

43. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 19:02 Steele Johnson

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:43:
Quinn wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 16:39:
I'll pass on this, then.

Not gonna play for free to be PWNZ0RZZZ by people who're willing to spend hundreds..
The unlockables don't make that much difference. If someone is gonna PWNZORZZZ you, then they would do so with or without unlocks. Skill and teamwork are by far the biggest factors. By the time you get the hang of the game, you should have earned enough experience to unlock quite a bit.

That's not true, the unlockable items make a pretty big difference. I can usually give any player a one-on-one run for their money with a heavy/energy combo, but that's a class that has to be unlocked. So now I'm getting pwnd using heavy/repair while I grind enough points to unlock my class of choice. And it's going to take a while because the grinding is too much in this game. And of course, that's their way for you tp pay money; like all those FTP games.

40. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 18:56 Steele Johnson

yuastnav wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 15:19:
Tribes: Ascend is the world's fastest shooter.

As much as I love this game this is simply not true. I believe this title is still held by Quake 1/ezQuake or Quake 3 CPMA.

I disagree. I can ski way faster than you can run in any of those games. And if Quake games had the outdoor environments that Tribes has, you'd see how much slower it really is.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
140. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 18:44 Steele Johnson

Kajetan wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 16:24:
Dev wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 16:18:
Protip: Make a good game and it usually sells, see skyrim.
There are plenty good quality games, which were commercial failures like Psychonauts or Beyond Good & Evil.

Yes, but that is not because of piracy. People will pirate games. Period. If you do the right thing, like make a great game, market it well, and retain a good track record of customer satisfaction, your game will sell well. I'm tired of these game companies copping out and blaming their crappy games or crappy marketing on piracy. So many companies have already proven that you can still make a lot of money on the pc version of their game! Sheesh!

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2012, 19:01.

138. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 18:41 Steele Johnson

nin wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 16:05:
If your game is "Good", piracy won't be an issue.

I don't know about that...

I said piracy won't be an issue because the game will still sell well in conjunction with the inevitable piracy that happens with most pc games.

The general rule is, make a great game and it will sell.

94. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 16:03 Steele Johnson

Hello Developers,

Here's the deal:

If your game is "Good", piracy won't be an issue.

If your game is "Mediocre", piracy will be an issue.

If your game is "Bad", don't blame it on piracy.

Here's a tip. If you're worried about piracy, create an amazing console game and see what happens. If it's really good, porting it to the PC will most likely bring in more revenue.

Thank you for participating in Game Development 101.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 to Add 5th Class Via DLC
18. Re: Borderlands 2 to Add 5th Class Via DLC Apr 9, 2012, 18:46 Steele Johnson

The game is probably good enough to buy day one and have a helluva time playing the classes it comes with. You guys worry too much. lol  

News Comments > EA Loses Consumerist Poll
42. Re: EA Loses Consumerist Poll Apr 5, 2012, 00:22 Steele Johnson

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 21:38:
Anyone who thinks EA is actually worse than Bank of America needs to get a new set of priorities.

I hate EA, but FFS....

The reason EA won is because most gamers don't have a dime in the bank because they're spending all their money on EA games.

News Comments > Free-to-Play AION Soars in EU
14. Re: Free-to-Play AION Soars in EU Apr 4, 2012, 01:05 Steele Johnson

Now you can grind for free!  

910 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo