Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steele Johnson

Real Name Steele Johnson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Steele Johnson
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 5, 2002, 20:41
Total Comments 927 (Graduate)
User ID 12787

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
32. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 19:06 Steele Johnson

I really haven't been following this game very closely, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't this just another "fetch x items, kill x mobs" type game? Isn't this genre way burnt to a crisp?

I like to call these games (and specifically the latest Diablo) a Trash Collecting sim. All you do is run around and pick up useless trash, and then hike back to a place where you can dump it. Over and over and over again. Do that many people have OCD to justify keeping this genre alive? OMG!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2012, 12:54 Steele Johnson

"Cliff Bleszinski: “I don’t think Kinect has been fully realised”."

The problem with Kinect is that it doesn't work in every environment. There's always the chance that you'll have to move furniture around to make room if the area is too small. That's quite the limitation, IMO. Otherwise, the technology is great. It's just not something that everyone will use.

News Comments > TERA's $25 Horse
18. Re: TERA's $25 Horse Jun 27, 2012, 11:46 Steele Johnson

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:37:
I'll be honest, I bought the Celestial Steed when it first came around due to impulse and felt awful about it after the first day. What was truly hilarious though was the fact that, next to the mount, there was a gauge to show you how many were left in stock which appeared to at around 75%.

They put a stock gauge on a virtual item...

Anyway, people wonder why the gaming industry is turning in to a nickel and dime scheme and this is the reason for it and I feel like a bastard for getting that horse which I no longer use. Ever.

Apparently, it didn't alter your gaming experience. So it's not the developer's fault for creating it, it's your fault for buying it. It's just bling. Some people like bling, some people don't.

News Comments > TERA's $25 Horse
17. Re: TERA's $25 Horse Jun 27, 2012, 11:43 Steele Johnson

Verno wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:53:
People are certainly entitled to spend their hard earned money on virtual my little ponies if they want to just like I am entitled to mock them on public forums for doing so

I used to subscribe to the argument that "oh who cares, dont buy it". The trouble with that is that there are many people who will do so for whatever reason (impulse, aesthetics, etc) which just encourages the development of similar content since it is cheap and easy to produce. It really does affect everyone in some ways, I think its more accurate to say "you cant really do anything about it!".

Who cares if it encourages more content for sale? Again, you don't have to buy it. It doesn't alter your existing game.

When a friend has a nicer car than yours and paid a certain amount of money that you wouldn't pay, should the car manufacturer stop making the nicer car?

You logic is dumb. Who are you to price what it costs for development? Everything that you buy is marked up.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation
23. Re: PlanetSide 2 E3 Presentation Jun 26, 2012, 18:41 Steele Johnson

It's nice to see that they took a lot of the community feedback while designing this game. I definitely have a good feeling about this one. I'm hoping that it sets the bar for online shooters, and puts all current mmos to shame.  

News Comments > Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners
31. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 19:51 Steele Johnson

I have to say, after 12 years of development, Diablo 3 turned out to be quite the shitty game. I'd like to get my money back too.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
32. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jun 21, 2012, 00:00 Steele Johnson

It's by far the only mmo worth looking at. All the others are just more of the same. Can't wait!  

News Comments > TERA Free Trial
12. Re: TERA Free Trial Jun 13, 2012, 23:06 Steele Johnson

This genre is burnt to a crisp no matter how pretty the game is. Next gen mmos like Planetside 2 is so far the only one worth looking at, IMO. GW2 is still going to be kill x fetch y.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
14. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 03:19 Steele Johnson

I'm impressed. I really like where they're going with this engine. Looks amazing!  

News Comments > WatchDogs Next Year
8. Re: WatchDogs Next Year Jun 9, 2012, 03:13 Steele Johnson

It's nice to see stealth games coming back. This one looks like a keeper!

Thief 4 anyone?

News Comments > Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed
8. Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist PC Confirmed Jun 5, 2012, 01:01 Steele Johnson

I thought Conviction was a really fun co-op game. I didn't even bother playing the single-player. Me and a friend just blasted through and was one of the most entertaining co-op games I've played in a while.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month
38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic F2P Next Month Jun 5, 2012, 00:54 Steele Johnson

This game was a failure as soon as it was announced. The genre was burnt out even before the project started. Not to mention choosing a burnt out theme and one that not too many female gamers care about. Bioware made a really bad choice.  

News Comments > Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights
6. Re: Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights May 30, 2012, 21:20 Steele Johnson

That's what happens when you outsource your programming to China and have only bonehead managers at the main office managing the project.  

News Comments > 38 Studios Closed?
4. Re: 38 Studios Closed? May 24, 2012, 19:31 Steele Johnson

That's too bad. I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I believe the failure was combo of piss poor management and biting off more than they could chew. I really don't believe that a game startup should be taking out a 75 mil loan and hiring 400 people for the very first game. Doesn't make any sense.  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads
40. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 15:26 Steele Johnson

The Pyro wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:30:
Steamrolling
I have mixed feelings re: steamrolling. It sucks to be on the receiving end, but Tribes is a team-oriented game and it makes no sense to discourage friends from playing on the same team. Built-in VoIP would mitigate the issue IMO, as then it would be possible to achieve a similar level of coordination (if not skill) with a random group of pubs. Then again that might just be my L4D-inspired addition to voice support.

Graphics/Performance
Fair criticism; the game performs VERY poorly for the level of eye candy that you get. This is literally the only game in my entire library that I run at a non-native resolution to get a decent framerate*. I wouldn't call it ugly, but the graphics are not groundbreaking in any way.

They seriously need to optimize this sucker. Smoke effects in particular are a major bottleneck.

* Performance is playable at native resolution, but when sniping I'm at a disadvantage due to low fps. Therefore I run it at a lower resolution to maintain 60 fps.

EDIT: My comments on performance may have been a little harsh. Performance isn't too bad if I'm just flying around the map; it's the explosions and smoke effects (mostly the smoke) that kill it. The issue is non-trivial, though, because smoke and explosions tend to occur at the times when you need good framerates the most.

That's interesting. I have no performance problems on my 6 year old machine running Vista with a 1.5 year old graphics card. No problems at all.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 Outed?
7. Re: Saints Row 4 Outed? May 16, 2012, 13:20 Steele Johnson

Considering it was the only game that made THQ any money, I can see why it's being announced.  

19. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:17 Steele Johnson

"This game is ugly as shit and when I played, I had a laser gun that was definitely firing at sub light speed, slower than bullets in fact it was useless. Pass."

Tribes is skill-based game, so yeah, you're probably not the type of player for this game. Can I recommend another game for you? Call of Duty.

18. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 13:14 Steele Johnson

It turned out to be a very good game indeed. And probably the best free-to-play model I've ever seen. Other companies should follow.  

News Comments > 38 Studios in Financial Trouble?
11. Re: 38 Studios in Financial Trouble? May 14, 2012, 23:19 Steele Johnson

I think the game is a lot of fun.  

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Patched
1. Re: Tribes Ascend Patched May 9, 2012, 22:17 Steele Johnson

Sweet! Looking forward to the new map!  

927 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo