Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steele Johnson

Real Name Steele Johnson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Steele Johnson
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Apr 5, 2002, 20:41
Total Comments 937 (Graduate)
User ID 12787

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
34. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2014, 17:26 Steele Johnson

Quinn wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:09:
Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:03:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 03:50:
Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:08:
I knew this game was going to suck. They should have made it more of a survival co-op game and less single-player crappy save point console game. Why do game designers insist on releasing games like this that no one wants? I mean, how many games do you have to see fail before you go in a different direction?

What are you talking about? Tons of people wanted to see a single-player survival horror game set in the Alien universe. As for the save system, that's a design choice, not a console limitation. There are plenty of console games with quicksave. Isolation is a survival horror game. It relies on tension. Quicksave destroys tension because it removes any sense of risk or consequence. If you're making a survival horror game and you have quick save, you've already failed.

Did you even read the reviews? Trying to get through a single checkpoint 20 odd times isn't exactly a high tension survival game, it's just frustrating the player. But if that's the kind of game you're defending, then be my guest... go buy it, and have fun getting frustrated. lol

When you're 22 years old and look at this post from 10 years ago, you'll have the mother of all facepalms.

Oh I remember the days that you had to retry 20 times until you discovered the well hidden trick to win the battle. But that was 10+ years ago (like you said). These days, games are generally designed so that the flow is little more non stop. But hey, if you like die/restart, die/restart type games, I could send you a nice list of them that will keep you busy through all you that disposable free time that you have.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2014, 16:03 Steele Johnson

Jerykk wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 03:50:
Steele Johnson wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 19:08:
I knew this game was going to suck. They should have made it more of a survival co-op game and less single-player crappy save point console game. Why do game designers insist on releasing games like this that no one wants? I mean, how many games do you have to see fail before you go in a different direction?

What are you talking about? Tons of people wanted to see a single-player survival horror game set in the Alien universe. As for the save system, that's a design choice, not a console limitation. There are plenty of console games with quicksave. Isolation is a survival horror game. It relies on tension. Quicksave destroys tension because it removes any sense of risk or consequence. If you're making a survival horror game and you have quick save, you've already failed.

Did you even read the reviews? Trying to get through a single checkpoint 20 odd times isn't exactly a high tension survival game, it's just frustrating the player. But if that's the kind of game you're defending, then be my guest... go buy it, and have fun getting frustrated. lol

29. Re: Game Reviews Oct 5, 2014, 19:08 Steele Johnson

1. Re: Game Reviews Oct 1, 2014, 22:31 Steele Johnson

I definitely agree with that DOS review. It's deep, lots to do, fun, funny, and reminds me of why I'm still a pc gamer. Hats off to the devs!  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 9, 2014, 01:43 Steele Johnson

Apparently, Romero never played Borderlands.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2014, 00:15 Steele Johnson

DayZ is kind of a phenomenon. Create a concept instead of game, attract sociopaths, and watch the money come rolling in. Genius!  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Preloads
5. Re: The Sims 4 Preloads Aug 31, 2014, 19:40 Steele Johnson

Are people really that eager to play this game?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 19, 2014, 01:52 Steele Johnson

I like the term. It's quite catchy.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 11, 2014, 00:58 Steele Johnson

D:OS is awesome! Reminds me of the good ol' days when games were fun and interesting!  

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
22. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 7, 2014, 02:41 Steele Johnson

InBlack wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:58:
UHD wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:41:
Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:33:
I switched by my own free will, it's the best version of Windows.

Finally, someone that understands.

Yesterday went to watch a movie at a friends house. His Windows8 laptop decided that his HDMI port had a hardware error. We spent the night troubleshooting only to discover some kind of hidden Win8 update killed it. Managed to fix the problem later on with some oldskul hacking (and fighting the UI and system at every corner) but I never had this shit happen with Windows 7, or even XP.

Yeah, and my car broke down yesterday and it needed to get fixed. I'll never buy a car again!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 07:53 Steele Johnson

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 10:29:
Cloud era? Nobody I know would ever put anything worth a damn in a US company cloud...

You are clearly out of touch.

Also, you think your data is safe because you host your own servers? LOL! Talk about being naive.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 07:48 Steele Johnson

NKD wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 18:38:
How dare a company fire people! You should have your job until you don't want it anymore or are deemed incompetent! These evil fucks and their changing staffing needs.

Lol! I agree with the sarcasm. I love how the Blue's posters, particularly the same ones who have been bashing MS for years now, are against this. Sure, it sucks losing your job, but seriously, you've got to get rid of the dead wood at some point. It's clear that Microsoft's old business model doesn't work anymore. Technology has shifted and they have no choice but to adapt. There's no question that a lot of jobs will be lost. We're also on the brink of a video game market crash, so this most likely won't be the end of the firings... for other companies as well.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
29. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 10, 2014, 16:43 Steele Johnson

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 11:06:
Witcher 3 is going to blow this out of the water.

Why would you say something like that? Two great games are better than one.

News Comments > Rob Pardo Leaves Blizzard
25. Re: Rob Pardo Leaves Blizzard Jul 4, 2014, 23:16 Steele Johnson

JAGUART wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 23:05:
I hope he receives some lovely parting gifts.

Being the lead designer of World of Warcraft, I doubt he needs anything.

News Comments > Morning Previews
3. Re: Morning Previews Jun 27, 2014, 15:09 Steele Johnson

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 12:19:
Reading the responses to the ARS article you would think none of these people had ever played a hard core game. Eve is hard core, Wildstar is just another themepark that is a shade more difficult than average.

Personally, I had enough cartoons in Wow. That turned me off right away to start with.

One could argue that a stylish theme is on the same level as a realistic theme that doesn't look very real (like almost all realistic themed games). I generally like stylish over mannequin looking models with dead eyes. But I think technology is stilling being pushed to have very realistic characters in game. Until then, you choose stylish/cartoon or dead looking string puppets.

News Comments > 75 More Steam Greenlights
14. Re: 75 More Steam Greenlights Jun 12, 2014, 14:43 Steele Johnson

Steam is becoming the Apple app store where 99% of the apps are shit and the other 1% are hidden by the crappy 99%. So now they can claim that their store has the most games and that's all that matters (quantity > quality).  

News Comments > DOOM Teaser Trailer
17. Re: DOOM Teaser Trailer Jun 11, 2014, 01:25 Steele Johnson

I think it would be kind of funny if it was their most successful ever. ; )  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2014, 14:12 Steele Johnson

Haha OS X is becoming more and more like Windows 8.x and Metro. LOL  

News Comments > Why World of Darkness Went Dark
4. Re: Why World of Darkness Went Dark Jun 5, 2014, 11:14 Steele Johnson

"This constant yo-yo effect contributed to a development cycle in which planned features were partially completed and then dumped numerous times over. There seemed to be no clear vision on how the various parts would create a cohesive end product. "

This is generally the most common problem with any software development effort. If you don't have a clear vision, don't even start funding the project. Concepts and cool ideas aren't worth funding. You need a really clear vision, workflow, and even prototype before it's worth any consideration.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record
32. Re: Watch Dogs Claims Sales Record Jun 3, 2014, 19:55 Steele Johnson

This is the peak for current gen consoles! Haha!  

937 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo