Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shawn Bancroft

Real Name Shawn Bancroft   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Milkman Dan
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 26, 2002, 20:42
Total Comments 63 (Suspect)
User ID 12749

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Great Idea! Sep 13, 2007, 11:35 Milkman Dan

They should have someone go as a nonPremium user. They could dress up in the appropriate rags and tin can armor, with a stick.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Widescreen Woes
15. Re: Oh classic Aug 21, 2007, 23:21 Milkman Dan

To be fair, I was playing it on my new beautiful 22 WS LCD monitor without a problem.

Of course, that being said, I noticed it still messed with directsound during installation when I expressly specified no.
Right now, I am dealing reinstalling my sound drivers. Whee!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2007, 18:10 Milkman Dan

I have never owned a cellphone. I own 5 computers, 6 consoles, and yet never felt compelled to have a cellphone. I just feel my time is limited enough as it is. I don't need people calling me when I am away from a phone, because I am probably doing something already and don't need the distraction.

News Comments > Orson Scott Card Q&A
8. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2007, 01:51 Milkman Dan

I can't really speak for his books outside of Ender's Game, as it was the only book by him I ever read. I will say he writes for comic books fairly well, Ultimate Iron Man was quite original.

And back to the original subject, as bad as games are to his career, what he should be worrying about is we probably have a generation coming up that never read for fun. Those very same games that stop him from writing books also stop people from reading.

I work with a lot of teenagers, and I don't think I have heard any of them EVER talk about a new book they read in idle conversation. My own experience is I haven't read a book for fun since I bought my first computer for gaming back when Quake 1 came out. I do it a lot for school, but never of my own free will. Up until Quake 1 came out, I read about a book or 2 a week. Afterwards, I think I trailed off and just stopped in the late 90s. Anyone else have a similar experience?

News Comments > Taking the Piss Out of Vista
36. Re: Games For Windows Jan 12, 2007, 16:58 Milkman Dan

I just got Win XP 2005 Media edition for my new computer I am about to put together this weekend. I purchased it solely to get Vista Premium version for free. I didn't really want Media Edition, but if you got Vista Home, Premium cost $70 dollars more, and if you got Win XP Pro you only get Vista Business version. Once I get my copy of Vista Premium, I don't know if I will actually use it right away or not, but at least it was free. I hate the idea of all the DRM crap going on with it, but I have my server computer that contains most of my media files, and that won't be getting upgraded in the next year or two.

I feel Windows is stabbing PC gaming with Vista and all the DRM crap and crippling of playback devices. With WinXP the only thing that made me not want to upgrade is having to activate my software. I sincerely hope that DX10 does make it out to WinXP, because there is nothing that really makes me WANT to install Vista, even for free.
This comment was edited on Jan 12, 17:00.

News Comments > Hellgate Hubbub Follow-ups
4. No wonder this game is fucked up Jan 10, 2007, 17:07 Milkman Dan

Had I known EA was behind it, I would have already called it dead in the water. There is no way this game will not at least have some form of microtransaction, episodic content, monthly fee, ingame advertising, or some other money sucking addition for stuff that is free in most other games.

I honestly would love to be proven wrong, and it DOES just end up being something worth the additional money, but I am willing to bet it isn't. EA games lately have just been about regurgitating sequels for their sports titles, Battlefield, the Sims, or Need for Speed, squeezing more money from those if they can, and rarely about innovation, good aftersales support, or games for hardcore gamers. Any new games seem to just suck, and this really makes me cringe for Hellgate: London and Crysis.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification
129. Time to get used to it guys Oct 18, 2006, 20:57 Milkman Dan

I have a feeling in-game ads are here to stay and will only get worse.

If you look further down in the News section, Blue has a link to Nielsen focuses on TV Video Games.

Nielsen, the leading provider of television audience measurement in the US, is extending its service to monitor what video games are played on the TV set.

The move is expected to expand the potential for placing advertising in video games and provide accurate breakdowns of how much people are playing games on their TVs compared to watching programmes.

and this scary quote here:
A reliable and accurate standard of measurement for video gaming will drive advertising investment in this medium and convert video game advertising from a discretionary choice to a must-have option.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification
38. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2006, 11:57 Milkman Dan

They seem to want to place ads where players will see it the most for maximized viewing, one might clearly see how this might turn out. Ads on the bodies and vehicles. I mean, sure, they SAY they will just put it on billboards, but we know what people are looking at: what they are aiming at.

Logically, there can be a Target(C)(TM) Stores logo on every vehicle and player within a year.

News Comments > BF2142 Beta Opens
46. Re: where the F*** do u get a key from?? Sep 8, 2006, 15:58 Milkman Dan

It's over. If you didn't get a key in the first 40 min of it being open, you are SOL. I had a class from 1 till 2, so that made me screwed.

Hopefully they will have a demo out before the game, because I really don't want to get burned on buying this like I did on BF 2. I only got 2 months worth of "fun" out of it, including the *cough* expansion pack. I don't think I have had a more frustrating time trying to play a game online in the 10 years I have played FPS on the net.

News Comments > Game & Mod Development
3. Apparently it has been lengthened Sep 5, 2006, 00:00 Milkman Dan

You can download Poser 5 until Sept. 8 according to the webpage of the place that is giving it away for free.

News Comments > Game & Mod Development
1. Thanks for the post! Sep 4, 2006, 18:48 Milkman Dan

Seen this used for making some kickass portraits in Neverwinter Nights.

News Comments > EA and Crytek?
2. I hope this doesn't come to pass Aug 26, 2006, 16:46 Milkman Dan

I mean, sure, with EA's stellar record of continuing support for games after they are published, and almost stubborn willingness to let a game not be rushed to ensure it's a quality release, I shouldn't worry, right?

News Comments > Stronghold Legends Demo
1. I really hope I like this Aug 23, 2006, 11:23 Milkman Dan

Enjoyed Crusader immensely, didn't really care for Stronghold 2, but this looks it might be promising.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Jaws Unleashed
6. Insert obligatory pun here: May 24, 2006, 01:01 Milkman Dan

I sure hope this game doesn't bite. Oh wait, I guess it better.

/dodges thrown dead fish.

News Comments > Bizz Buzz - Reflections & Atari Settle
1. Wow Feb 27, 2006, 12:05 Milkman Dan

I can't believe he agreed to getting Atari shares. I would definitely sell all that ASAP, before it's nothing but paper.

News Comments > Stronghold Legends Announced
6. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2006, 19:14 Milkman Dan

Hopefully it will be a lot more like Stronghold Crusader. Been playing that a lot with friends and in multiplayer. Still pretty fun old school RTS.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. About the Watchman Movie Dec 22, 2005, 03:03 Milkman Dan

Doesn't Warner Bros still own DC comics? So, in effect, the rights got sold back tot eh company that originally had them? I hope they can do justice to the 12 issue series in given the limitations of a 2-hour movie.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. It's ok Blue Oct 15, 2005, 04:43 Milkman Dan

Some of us appreciate the 4 A.M. updates after a long map of Wake 2007.

News Comments > No DNF This December
7. Oh thank god! Oct 5, 2005, 18:14 Milkman Dan

Everyone knows when this game is done, it's the 8th sign of the Apocalypse!

Woot! We get to see 2006 at least!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: No subject Aug 18, 2005, 12:53 Milkman Dan

You apparently didn't read all the crap Nin went through with Firefox the other day in Out of the Blue.

These "Security Threats" mean nothing. I suppose if I worked at a company that pissed off or made hackers curious,it might matter. Every security patch I have ever patched in the last 10 years was just some new patch.

I have never had a problem with IE, never gotten a virus, and I don't have to worry about being 2nd or 3rd in compatability when it comes to the design consideration of websites.

I used Netscape on and off until it became apparent MS won the browser war.

I think the nail in the coffin for FF for me was when my CS professor opened up some webpage and said," Crap. I opened it in Firefox, it won't work right in Firefox." He then proceeded to open it in Explorer.

63 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo