Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rolphus

Real Name Rolphus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email rolphiii@hotmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Aug 18, 1999, 08:53
Total Comments 526 (Apprentice)
User ID 127

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Consolidation
2. Re: Wolfenstein Advance Mar 18, 2002, 13:54 Rolphus

Wow, I didn't think the GBA was powerful enough to handle RtCW, but evidently I was wrong!

For those of you that don't know me, that was a sarcastic, naive comment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Mod Squads
1. Go Bagpuss! Mar 17, 2002, 00:05 Rolphus

Sorry, I just had to say that... I didn't know Bagpuss had so many fingers in so many pies

News Comments > Tech Bits
1. Just heads-up... Mar 5, 2002, 21:00 Rolphus

I've had no trouble with DivX 5.0, but a lot of people are reporting problems - encoding errors, crashes, etc.

Additionally, there has been some complaint about the new distribution model. This doesn't bother me personally - I just use it for decoding, and as such downloaded the Standard version, but people have been somewhat "up in arms" about the new Pro version.

Just thought you might like to know

Rolphus

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: The difference Mar 5, 2002, 13:30 Rolphus

1,000,000,000 is indeed one thousand million.

That said, there are few people who would consider a billion to be anything other than 1,000,000,000 - even us weird Brits

4. Re: That's not all! Feb 20, 2002, 09:38 Rolphus

Hey, erm, I'm dumb, or confused... DD/MM/YYYY != 2002/20/02.

2002/20/02 is to my knowledge a date format that's not used anywhere... the American format is MM/DD/YYYY, the Japanese format is YYYY/MM/DD, and the European format is DD/MM/YYYY.

Let confusion abound.

3. Re: popup ads Feb 17, 2002, 14:22 Rolphus

As I run a relatively clean system, I can be confident I'm not running any spyware etc, and I've yet to see any problems with either Blue's News or nV News (who've also been having the same issue). Loyd's a pretty savvy bloke when it comes to stuff like this, being a contributor to several techy websites, so I'm very inclined to agree with him.

News Comments > Q3A Master Server Maintenance
6. Re: Server up - but no auth with router Feb 16, 2002, 17:46 Rolphus

Fair enough, I'm a moron then

News Comments > Q3A Master Server Maintenance
3. Re: Server up - but no auth with router Feb 16, 2002, 16:54 Rolphus

The only problem with that notion is that, as I understand it, the auth server also runs stuff like RtCW... and will most likely run MP Auth for all future id Software games.

News Comments > Tech Bits - NVIDIA & the SEC
6. Re: Confusion at Nvidia Feb 16, 2002, 14:48 Rolphus

Auditor: "So how did you come up with these profit figures?"
nV Accountant: "Ah, those are 'MX Dollars'. They're not quite a real dollar, but damned good value."

23. Re: Not all Amercians love America Feb 3, 2002, 17:33 Rolphus

Right on. I agree with Ray on this. I'm a Brit.

OK, you can stop throwing stuff now.

Anyway. I don't think it really matters what date format, weighing convention, language, or anything else we use - as long as we get along

9. Re: Kathy Lee != Blue Jan 27, 2002, 13:03 Rolphus

Thanks for that little insult, frederickson... the sad truth is that I don't even have a degree. I'm a programmer for a small software company.

4. Re: Kathy Lee != Blue Jan 27, 2002, 10:53 Rolphus

I think perhaps that the "problem" (if you wish to call it that) is that Blue doesn't want to turn his gaming news site into something with opinions. Blue's News is one of the most comprehensive, professional, independent sites out there, and to start including opinions of games and such would represent a fairly radical departure from that. Talking about his dog, or the current state of caffeine supply is unlikely to cause anyone to consider Blue (or of course Frans) a "biased" reporter.

That said, Blue's been reporting on gaming for a long time now, and has seen the evolution of games from both a gamer's and a reporter's perspective. That's valuable experience and I'd hate to see that go unused.

Perhaps the answer is for Blue to start doing a guest "editorial" on another, less "independent" site (and I don't mean that in a bad way; people need opinions of things). I for one would see this as A Good Thing (to quote John Carmack). I understand that Blue's time is already pretty restricted, but something like a fortnightly or monthly column on "the state of gaming" or "what Blue's playing" could be a valuable addition to any site. There are slow news days every couple of weeks, so it probably wouldn't be totally impossible to knock up and article once a month or so.

Just some thoughts from an another opinionated, undereducated reader

News Comments > Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project Q&A
8. Re: I'm fed up. Jan 25, 2002, 17:42 Rolphus

Pete, thank you for that... you gave me a good laugh. The humour is much appreciated after a really shitty day

News Comments > Tech Bits
3. Re: Logitech... Jan 16, 2002, 17:38 Rolphus

I can't say I've ever had any trouble with Logitech's drivers - I have a cordless Logitech keyboard and mouse, and a USB optical mouse, none of which have ever given me any trouble - apart from the annoying EM_EXEC "problem" in old OSes that screws up the mouse wheel in games (but you can disable it) - in XP, all seems well on both fronts though.

Is there a specific product that gives you grief?

News Comments > Medal of Honor Official SP Demo
45. Re: BlueDean Jan 5, 2002, 16:54 Rolphus

I believe that GamaSutra ( www.gamasutra.com ) offers a similar but hugely comprehensive service for this actually...

6. Re: Now that's billing... Jan 4, 2002, 23:47 Rolphus

I'd have to say, I don't think a newsstand version of Blue's would work. Aside from the (staggeringly brilliant) OotB and general irreverent commentary, there's no real content to Blue's News. It's about getting all the info to us as fast and reliably as possible, with a sprinkling (ok, bucket) of wit... a monthly newsstand edition couldn't be anything like that.

I would however be very interested in seeing Blue write some editorials, commentaries, or something... he's got a lot of history and an amazing memory. Of course, that assumes it's something he wants to do, and has the time for. I'd suspect that one or other of those is stopping it happening though.

Rolphus

Edit: I can't use grammar properly at 5am without at least some corrections :)

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 23:49.

4. Re: BlueDean Jan 4, 2002, 23:36 Rolphus

Exactly what he said, except with cherries on top.

We love you Blue (in a strictly platonic, manly way of course). I think we should also have a huge shout out to Frans, who is of course the god of early-morning (european time) updates, and keeps me sane during my all-night programming stints at work

Rolphus, who should really be at home rather than at work at 4:50am, and is hoping (praying) that this build works smoothly.

I'll shut up now. Honest. I know my caffeine pills are somewhere around here...

News Comments > Consolidation
2. Re: UT 2 = Unreal Championship Jan 4, 2002, 19:27 Rolphus

I think you're pretty much correct - UC and UT2 will basically be the same core game, I reckon, just with UC being that much more console-slanted. They'd be stupid not to use the assets (code, textures, models, etc) from UC in UT2, at least while it's in development

News Comments > Unreal Tournament II Confirmed
6. Re: What is the big deal? Jan 4, 2002, 19:22 Rolphus

You're missing a crucial word there - Unreal Tournament II

Just an FYI, no offense intended

I have to say, I'm looking forward to it, UT was a blast (as was Q3, before the flames commence)

Rolphus

Edit: Hahahaha, impressive, three of us jumped on the poor guy!
This comment was edited on Jan 4, 19:23.

6. Re: in the UK? Dec 25, 2001, 17:47 Rolphus

Well, Merry/Happy Christmas, or any other festival to everyone

Ah, screw it, have a really great day even if you're not celebrating.

In fact, have many great days, any time.

A shiny happy Rolphus

526 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo