Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The Half Elf, CptRanger

Real Name The Half Elf, CptRanger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Half Elf
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description "I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. Wonderful, have you tried it?" -Walter Bishop
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 14, 2002, 15:47
Total Comments 8734 (Guru)
User ID 12670

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
55. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 18:28 The Half Elf

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:31:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:17:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:04:
Guessing you've missed the whole deal about the Watch Dogs being held back on PC?

Given that you can find posts from me in the comments for that article, yeah, I'm well aware of it. That article discusses extra features cut from the final game - not features present on other platforms that were cut from the PC version. The PC still has the graphics features of the other platform, plus extra. How is that unequal treatment?

Purposefully cripple product = unequal treatment. Or, as their own developers put it "is PC only, who cares."

Out of every form of DRM, online DRM has always proven the worst for customers. Issues with flaky internet, Diablo 3/SimCity/numerous other games whom severs couldn't handle the pounding, etc... Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.
By all means, then, suggest a better option for protecting their investment. The last idea (protected memory regions using TPM) was shouted down.

Since you missed it the first time (and even managed to quote it but not read it...) I will repeat: Just because something can be down, doesn't mean it's the best/only option.

Steamworks also seems to be working great for many companies, and it's not always online...

And if I don't want to join such a system, I don't need to on a console. But I MUST on a PC, which again adds software that crashes and can lock me out of the product I purchased. Why is it mandatory for a PC but optional on a console? Just because they made it, doesn't mean it should be a mandatory (and problematic) need for some and a basic option for others. Also, things like GfWL, Gamespy, Steam, etc existed when UPlay was released. They didn't need to create yet another friend system, options were there.
You'd rather they used GfWL or Gamespy? And you suggest that I'M not keeping up on the latest news?

Gamespy and Steam (which I noticed you failed to read... again...) would be a better choice. GfWL was also a possible solution (didn't say the best one, nice strawman though). And since you are failing in knowing the news, UPlay has been out since 2009. Trying to use news of 2014 as your counter argument is a bit of a stretch.

You your OWN link, it stats that they didn't 'turn them on' due to issues and side effects, up to and including lighting issues across the entire game. Are you really going to cherry pick a link you posted instead of reading the entire thing?

BTW, Uplay does have a offline mode. You know what it keeps you from doing? Accessing the multiplayer part of the game, as if you were offline. Wow, I'm pretty sure if you were in offline mode in Steam you can't access some things like Steamworks. But then again Steam, Origin, Uplay are all forms of DRM, and considering the draconian crap Ubisoft use to offer, this is pretty good. But you REALLY want to point out that you don't have to do Uplay on a console, and previously bitched about having you information tracked, yet you're ok with using a console? Again awesome double standards dude.

Yeah Lets go ahead and use Gamespy or Games for Windows Live! Gamespy is dead, and thankfully so is Games For Windows, as the cluster fuck of downloading a game (say from Steam), then having to sign into GFWL and have to pray it was implemented correctly, download the patch (pray it worked), and restart your game.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:07 The Half Elf

Flak wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:51:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:39:
Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:09:
I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.

How exactly did they 'fucked over' the pc users 'too many times'? Yeah Watch Dogs has some graphical things turned off because they cause some serious issues with the lighting engine, but again I'm curious.

Much like how EA has utterly destroyed the Battlefield franchise, Ubisoft has obliterated everything Tom Clancy related, at least if you're an actual fan of the original games and not the bile they call the current ones.

Ubisoft also has a terrible track record pre-'DRM' with Securom going back to Chaos Theory and Farcry 1. UPlay is a fucking joke and another useless layer of bloatware I don't need on my system. Their customer service rivals EA in terms of poor quality. Titles purchased or 'owned' on UPLAY are not available to be claimed on any other service (ie. I got some Ubisoft games with a video card and could not redeem them on Steam, even though 99.9% of my library is on Steam). Many Ubisoft games require post-install .ini tweaks so they don't look like complete ass on PC.

*yawn*

EA destroying franchises is one thing, but Tom Clancy's involvement with Ubisoft ended a long time ago.

The always online DRM issue was taken care of years ago, as Chaos Theory was released in 2005 and Far Cry in 2004. Customer Service I can't say either way, but I haven't heard any out cryings of horrible support either.
Now about Uplay itself. They give you free games, offered by Ubisoft, and your surprised you can't redeem them anywhere else but Uplay? Really? But yet it's ok for EA to do this? Please pick a double standard and stick to it.

Post install ini tweaking?!? People have been doing this since fucking QUAKE!

Do I care for Uplay? Not really. But I will give them credit that if I do something in one of their games, I can use those points to unlock something in another Uplay game (Used Driver San Fran to unlock stuff in Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 4, and Watch Dogs). But Ubisoft really has turned around from where they were 10 years ago.
Great support for PC games, got rid of the Online DRM, good rewards beyond collecting cards on Steam.

I just don't understand why people are bitching about a company that fixed what people were bitching about years ago.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 10:39 The Half Elf

Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:09:
I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.

How exactly did they 'fucked over' the pc users 'too many times'? Yeah Watch Dogs has some graphical things turned off because they cause some serious issues with the lighting engine, but again I'm curious.

News Comments > EA on "Unacceptable" BF4 Launch
31. Re: EA on Jun 21, 2014, 00:17 The Half Elf

The REALLY sad part is that they are going to make a Star Wars Battlefront game. I will buy that (sorry but the concept is too juicy to pass up), but at the same time I'll have a taxi ready to take me to the Battered Gamers of EA/Dice Center.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2014, 00:14 The Half Elf

Most gay guys I know would just be happy to be like Harry Potter and have a owl in their house.  

News Comments > Gearbox Community Day 2013 Digital Bonus Pack Returns
1. Re: Gearbox Community Day 2013 Digital Bonus Pack Returns Jun 20, 2014, 18:29 The Half Elf

I'm sorry, after the clusterfuck of Aliens: CM, you want me to PAY you to watch you produce nothing but recycled Borderlands crap because you have nothing else to sell?!?  

News Comments > All Battlefield Hardline Beta Weapons Unlocked
2. Re: All Battlefield Hardline Beta Weapons Unlocked Jun 20, 2014, 18:27 The Half Elf

I've already used all these weapons. In previous Battlefield games. I've already used all the gadgets in previous Rainbow Six and SWAT Games.  

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
3. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 09:15 The Half Elf

Yeah but if they open this open to all of the games on origin... Would beat out select free weekends on steam.  

News Comments > EA on "Unacceptable" BF4 Launch
2. Re: EA on Jun 20, 2014, 09:12 The Half Elf

Bullshit. Bf3 had a shit launch, bf4 was worse, and hardline is a glorifyed mod that come across as a low end mod that even with 3 years and the base bf4 still has tons of issues.  

News Comments > PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up
8. Re: PC Dead Rising 3 Date; 30-FPS Follow-up Jun 19, 2014, 21:01 The Half Elf

Axis wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 18:36:
I don't purchase ANY fps/tfps etc game if the frames are capped at any speed. I play FPS's at 120+ these days and I ain't ever going back.

Name 1 FPS released in the last year or two that you play with max settings and get 120+ fps in?

And ya might want to go read the Steam post, where they have links to video footage they took (with machine specs) uncapped.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
5. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 13:59 The Half Elf

GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM MY WALLET!

GAH!

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
22. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 13:30 The Half Elf

Question I was accepted into the Dogfighting Beta, but have never purchased anything from them. To participate do I need to purchase a ship and the Dog Fighting Arena?  

News Comments > LEGO Minifigures Online Open Beta
5. Re: LEGO Minifigures Online Open Beta Jun 19, 2014, 13:28 The Half Elf

You need a lego website login for the game, and it's really blah. Probably great for kids younger then 10, but it's sorta like Diablo meets Lego.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 18, 2014, 19:59 The Half Elf

It depends. If they are allowing the players to play the 3 main characters there will be quite a bit of scripting for cut scenes, and audio lines to write and record. Either way I'm find till the PC version comes out.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 13
1. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 13 Jun 18, 2014, 19:49 The Half Elf

There was really only 1 game that I REALLY want to play and that's No Man's Sky.  

News Comments > Watch Dog Patch Plans
2. Re: Watch Dog Patch Plans Jun 18, 2014, 19:46 The Half Elf

Still like to have the inclusion of buses, AI's that drive motorcycles, multi-npc's in cars, a jump button, all the really crappy invisible walls removed off stupid things like roofs that you can easily access but get stopped by invisible walls (also tons of them on the drive to pawnee), dedicated gameplay mode of team decryption, ability to not join people on 3rd world connections halfway across the solar system, a system to allow me to choose to actually look like the npc that the other players see me as instead of Aiden, ability to turn off invasions without loosing my online progress AND without having to have Uplay in offline mode.

Oh and a reason to actually buy the Season Pass that doesn't have a really simple head swap from camera's to cyborgs, or more stupid flower jumping digital trips.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 17:42 The Half Elf

Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 17:23:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 17:19:
Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 10:33:
SS wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 09:40:
Anita Sarkeesian is one cute little cupcake.

Proving the point.

Even the cracked article from yesterday's ootb pointed this issue out, and the worse issue that you can't mention it without games flipping their shit in ways more dramatic than anything else can. For some odd reason they view it as a personal attack and get super defensive, irrational, and say the worst misogynistic stuff to prove there's no issue.

Or, people like Cutter who get irate when companies screw him for a profit claim this is fine because companies do it for a profit.

Or maybe your just overreacting to a comment on the internet?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cupcake
a sexually attractive young woman.
a beloved girl or woman.

Really do we not have better shit to argue about?

Fuck it, both of you go outside without any sort of wifi/internet devices for 3 hours until you both can grow the fuck up.

Whoosh!
Your defense isn't a defense. Again, it's dismissing her by commenting on her appearance. By your own admission. This doesn't happen to men. Men don't constantly hear discussion on their looks.

If every time you made a comment no one responded to it, instead commenting on your sexuality, wouldn't it bug you?

Where's SMA when we need him?

You've never been with a flock of flaming faggots before have ya?

My issue with 'her' is that she is taking it to the extreme, just like that bullshit video of the top 40 males in games at e3.

Does that mean I need to call her out about how gay guys are NOT represented at all except in Sims games and Dragon Age Origins, and a little bit here and there in Mass Effect Games?

But here's the thing. The gaming industry (publisher, developer, consumer) is for lack of better phrasing 'a man's world'. With 1 exception to The Sims franchise which is dominated by females, with MMO's like World of Warcraft, Everquest, having the most female to male ratio. I wish I could find the links for it.

But again I don't give a shit, any more so then I give a shit about gay's or lesbian's in games. I have more important shit to worry about then if some women who is a (right wing/left wing/whatever wing) nutjob, who arguably has a few good points, but are overshadowed by the man hating, and poor research of games.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know how many female stripper joints there are in the US, vs male stripper joints.

News Comments > Free Magrunner: Dark Pulse on GOG.com
5. Re: Free Magrunner: Dark Pulse on GOG.com Jun 18, 2014, 17:33 The Half Elf

I still can't get Dungeon Keeper to run properly  

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 17:19 The Half Elf

Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 10:33:
SS wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 09:40:
Anita Sarkeesian is one cute little cupcake.

Proving the point.

Even the cracked article from yesterday's ootb pointed this issue out, and the worse issue that you can't mention it without games flipping their shit in ways more dramatic than anything else can. For some odd reason they view it as a personal attack and get super defensive, irrational, and say the worst misogynistic stuff to prove there's no issue.

Or, people like Cutter who get irate when companies screw him for a profit claim this is fine because companies do it for a profit.

Or maybe your just overreacting to a comment on the internet?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cupcake
a sexually attractive young woman.
a beloved girl or woman.

Really do we not have better shit to argue about?

Fuck it, both of you go outside without any sort of wifi/internet devices for 3 hours until you both can grow the fuck up.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2014, 15:49 The Half Elf

I'm surprised Ben and Jerry haven't bought the domain.  

8734 Comments. 437 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo