Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 408 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
71. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 15:12 Parias

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:50:
Slinkycatz wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:04:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 13:50:
You're missing the point completely. Delays happen, we all know that. But waiting to announce it until there are only two weeks left, rather than as you put it, last year when there was a change in scale and scope...well, that looks awfully snake oilish.

Like Cabezone said...

Those of us who have actually been following what has been going on have been aware for almost a month that they were debating which path to take on the dogfighting module. Release it with existing Crysis code or build it from scratch?

I've seen a number of comments here on BluesNews by those who aren't really following the game but are on the distant sidelines, making comments that indicate they don't really understand the context of what they are talking about.

So let me see if I have this straight now. You're saying that as of a month and a half before the deadline -they- had set, they hadn't even decided what engine they were going to use? And you're saying that's not waiting until the last minute to start on something they'd promised "no matter what"?

I guess I've been put in my place... I was being far more generous than that, assuming they'd actually made a decision in time to reach their deadline but just not announced it. This just screams of mismanagement.

You're misunderstanding. They always knew they were going to ditch the stock Cryengine network code; the unknown was if they were going to try and launch the dogfighting module with the crappy stock code (and likely get useless testing results and a terrible gameplay experience), or wait until the initial iteration of their own custom network code was ready. They chose the latter.

This has nothing to do with the entire game engine - it's only in reference to the underlying network code.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
61. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 14:30 Parias

Beelzebud wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:21:
So wait. I don't follow this closely, so fill me in. They paid for the Cry Engine just to do mock-ups, and are now going to code their own custom engine for it?

If so, yikes....

No, they're just talking about the network code. AFAIK they're still using Cryengine for everything else (they even have Crytek people on call specifically for this reason) - I don't think they've stated otherwise?

News Comments > DayZ Early Access
20. Re: DayZ Early Access Dec 16, 2013, 18:05 Parias

JayDeath wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:59:
Am I the only one who has a problem with this early access bullshit? It seems many devs are jumping on to this way of development and I don't like it! I refuse to pay for an unfinished game, even at a discount. I don't get it.
I put well over 600 hours into the mod and I was so excited for the SA but this is bullshit. In this case, it isn't the price either. I want a complete game!
I'm very disappointed about this.

Then... don't pay for early access? You're doing this exactly the correct way; if you want to wait for the finished product, don't buy it until it's out the door. This otherwise is an optional benefit for people who want to bug-test the game early. You're not obligated in any way to pay for the game until it's actually done.

What's there to be disappointed about? Not quite following your logic.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 16, 2013, 11:46 Parias

The Destiny thing is actually OK for me - if the game supports it, I plan to play the entire thing almost exclusively in co-op with my local friends anyways. I can see how that might be a turn-off for some though, especially if the game isn't coming to PC...  

News Comments > Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam "Any Day Now"
4. Re: Metal Gear Solid Revengeance on Steam Dec 14, 2013, 12:54 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 12:42:
"Revengeance"... a word that could only come out of Japan.

I dunno, I've never played any of the MSG games. They look really consoly to me. What's the appear here?

http://i.imgur.com/91s1siR.gif

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 9, 2013, 21:26 Parias

The source code got released for this via GOG as well (one or two of the Star Citizen guys were previous developers on this game and have pushed for it), so we can expect to see some awesome mods pop up soon.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Dec 2, 2013, 20:31 Parias

Axis wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 19:08:
Terrible sales overall, pretty lamo nothing much worth picking up.

I don't know - surely there must be someone out there who hasn't played Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon yet.

If so, now's the time to fix that oversight!

News Comments > Total War: ROME II – Caesar in Gaul Next Week
1. Re: Total War: ROME II – Caesar in Gaul Next Week Dec 2, 2013, 12:51 Parias

"Compact, focussed multiplayer campaign: With a tighter geographic scope and faction-roster, 2-player campaigns are more focused and less time-consuming than the full ROME II campaign."

I haven't played Rome II yet, but I've been waiting for them to fix it before I dive in.

Does this mean they're changing the co-op campaign mode to be smaller in scale and faster-paced, or will this be optional? I enjoyed Shogun 2's full campaign mode and don't want a toned-down co-op experience for Rome II.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 17:33 Parias

Task wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 17:01:
My only concern is the netcode. PGI over at MWO has a lot of trouble just figuring out hit detection and the speed of an object in the game on the Crytek engine. I chock that up to them being beginner developers though.

And Star Citizen is a sim with newtonian physics, in a huge universe, like Eve, so hopefully they get it going.

They've made a big deal over the last couple of weeks of saying that they're heavily debating releasing a multiplayer-supported version of the dogfighting module early with Cryengine's existing, limited netcode - or waiting until they can completely gut and replace it with something of their own actually designed for the game. They're leaning towards the latter.

DangerDog wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 17:22:
MyRealName wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 16:04:
Just to repeat what I said for the previous million, if they don't produce seamless planetfell and procedurally generated environments to explore -- in Crytek, ffs -- they they're just not trying and won't get my funding. I'll wait on Braben (who I'm watching/waiting on anyway) and/or indies.

I keep thinking of how Wing Commander played and thinking that's what this will end up being more or less. It was all flash and not much substance, heavily scripted and played more like an interactive movie. My lack of faith lies with CryEngine 3, can it be used for an open galaxy space game?

They're apparently going to get really creative with some sort of "instancing" mechanic that breaks space up into a bunch of separate smaller map / server segments. They have Crytek's official backing and support for doing this using a bunch of new tech that lets them seamlessly stream maps and servers together somehow, and provided a rough description for how this will likely look a bit of time ago (though this is far from final / official).

22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 16:31 Parias

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 16:22:
Pariahs, thank you for well expressed posts, although I'm sure you will just be called out as a SC fanboy who are worst than a blizztard by the likes of Cutter and his bunch when you dare to post positive things on a thread about a particular game

The worst part is that I can understand and almost agree with a lot of the concern / negativity towards the game, if only because until the developers really produce some really tangible gameplay, all of their promises will be just words and pictures on the screen. They're very good words (and they've bent over backwards to explain and re-explain their solutions to problem points that aren't obvious at first), but still just words nonetheless.

Some of us have more faith than others that something good will come of this and want a good space sim so badly that we've thrown money at this. If it fails horribly, I fully expect Cutter and the like will laugh their asses off and I'll have to move to a new internet to escape the embarrassment, but I want this game badly enough (and Roberts has done a good enough job addressing any concerns I had) that I'm willing to take the risk.

17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 16:01 Parias

panbient wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 15:25:
crumbs wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 14:56:
Lol @ everyone who gets so angry about crowd-funding.

No one is angry at the crowd funding success. But all they've truly done successfully so far is collect more than 15 times the amount of money they originally asked for... but still haven't really shown anything for it. What's baffling is the amount of people who seem to think successfully raising a bunch of money equates to a great product, rather than recognizing the technical risks of unchecked expansion.

They should have been able to release the original product concept by now with that kind of funding. Instead we got a year of feature creep, which could have all been released as expansions to the core game. It still sounds amazing, if they can pull it off. But eventually you need to stop adding toppings to the pizza, otherwise you just end up with a mountain of toppings.

They do have stuff to show though - a "hangar module" people can download to check out their ships now, a lot of preliminary models for in-game ships, and a number of brief videos showing some initial gameplay features and environments. It's very true that a lot of stuff is still conceptual, but that's because this is where the game is at in development. Remember that they're releasing news updates and details way before most developers would, and if you look at this as just another crowd-funded game, they seem like they're pretty much on schedule for a game of this scope and detail to me compared to how other indie projects usually go.

They've also repeatedly addressed the "feature creep" concern:

"There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce. Typically the stretch goals fall into two categories;

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints. The first person combat on select planets is a great example of this type of goal. We already have FPS combat as part of the game in ship boarding, and we already have most of this already functional thanks to CryEngine, as we essentially have Crysis3 functionality out of the box. But creating all the environments and assets to fill them is a huge task, so we were planning on not doing any planetside combat initially, simply because of its cost, with the idea that we would slowly roll it out once the game is live. But with the additional funds we can now afford to create some of this content earlier rather than later.

The facial capture system is an example of the second type, where we identify technology and equipment that will make the game better and allow us to be more nimble and economically efficient in continually creating content for the ongoing universe that we are aiming to support. The motion capture system and sound studio were goals that feel into this category.

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state. Also remember that this is not like a typical retail boxed product — there is no rule that all features and content have to come online at the same time! As you can see from the Hangar Module we plan to make functionality and content come on line as it’s ready, so you should look at the stretch goals as a window into the future of functionality and content additions we plan for the live game."

They've been clear about the expectations around this since day one, and people are throwing money at them with this understanding.

Yes, it's perfectly valid to be skeptical of this game until they actually deliver something tangible (beyond a box you can walk around in and make pew-pew noises with) - I agree with that - but I don't see how it's realistic to expect them to have produced a fully functional game by now. Like I said, for most AAA projects this is barely the point where they'd even have announced it or consented to some private, limited-scope previews. They're just being a lot more transparent about the development process.

7. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 14:45 Parias

NeOCidE wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 14:39:
At this point I really can't see any end to the contributions. I just prey that it meets everyone's expectations, potentially it sounds incredible, but can they really deliver the level features they propose......time will tell I guess.

Actually, they've tapered off quite a bit now that the several days of crazy sales are over.

The big thing that pushed it over the edge was them putting limited quantities of the thousand dollar ship (the Idris) on sale at various parts of the day yesterday. For some insane reason even I can't fathom, people rushed in to try and get a purchase in each time to the point of practically crashing their web server. Then they'd go on the forums afterwards and complain that they were robbed of the opportunity to buy a thousand-dollar internet spaceship.

I'm a backer, but even I can't imagine how so many people could justify that (everything's going to be available in-game - if you want one right away so badly to check it out, run a private server). But this phenomenon gave them at least a few hundred thousand dollars each time and is why they hit the next goal so quickly.

(During the big live stream yesterday, Chris Roberts was about to make an announcement for one of the sales but ended up saying "Woops, they've sold already - never mind" before he even got a word of the announcement out - they got all gobbled up within like 30 seconds. It was that crazy.)

Kosumo wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 14:30:
Don't you want fly around in space going 'pew pew' at thing?, Whats that? If you wanted to do that you would buy X:Rebirth (cos that a space combat sim that just been released despite people saying that space sims are dead)

Are you really using X: Rebirth as an example here? Have you actually played it? Maybe it'll be worth mentioning after they fix it (and by that I mean completely rebuild it from the ground up). The only thing that game serves as an example of right now is how to piss off newcomers and your existing fanbase at the same time. The game has potential (and can be mildly entertaining for those who force their way through the problems), but is just too broken to really be enjoyable.

To Egosoft's credit though, it DID drive me to buy the last game in the series (X: Albion Prelude or whatever) which was actually playable and fun.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2013, 14:52.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 MMO Migration Campaign
12. Re: Guild Wars 2 MMO Migration Campaign Nov 27, 2013, 11:18 Parias

Tim Collins wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 11:13:
The game just is not fun, straight up...was looking forward to this for YEARS......YEARS.....its basically a F2P micro transaction game at this point. They totally were not willing to put the effort into the game to make it fun, was just a launch and milk type thing.

I don't know, I've gotten quite a bit of fun out of it. Occasionally during LAN parties with my friend we'll boot the game in and troll around with our engineer / elementalist characters and have a pretty good time. I rather enjoy their approach to character stories and just about everything has a strong co-op focus.

And maybe I'm just not paying attention, but I've barely had any cause to get involved with(or even take notice of) the micro-transaction side of things. When I briefly looked through it, it seemed to mostly just be cosmetic items? Anything decent seemed to be readily available through in-game resources if you knew what to look for.

As for ESO... from the comments, this is why I never really bothered to look into the game and what I was initially expecting. I would've been happy if they had just added co-op play to Skyrim

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
83. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 21:14 Parias

Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 21:07:
That's encouraging, Parias. I thought that in the outer reaches of space, PvP will be common. How much scope will there be to peacefully explore online?

That's a fair question and not one we really have clear answers to yet sadly. We do know they'll have ships and gameplay mechanics expressly oriented around exploration, but there's a good chance that much of it will be based around riskier parts of space (which would arguably make the experience more exciting).

There's talks of a "PVP slider" that determines your chances of encountering other real players instead of NPCs, but I think it becomes less effective if you're in less secure areas. We'll have to see how the gameplay mechanics end up coming together.

80. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 20:45 Parias

Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 20:10:
If you get blown up by someone in a fancier ship with fancier weapons, are you going to think "well that guy's one hell of a player", or are you going to think "damn kids with their dad's credit card"? By the sounds of it, in Star Citizen I'm going to think the later and to me, that's a big problem.

That doesn't sound consistent with the game's design at all though. It's not some random online deathmatch arena - the game is based around an NPC-driven live universe. If some guy goes on a killing rampage with his thousand dollar warship within the first five seconds of gameplay, he'll lose that ship pretty fast when the space-police crack down (as well as suffer a reputation hit which may keep the police pissed off at him). And ship replacement won't be instantaneous for him either.

In fact, given the nature of the game, you might never even see said player at all. There's a pretty low chance of someone with an expensive ship negatively impacting your gameplay experience unless you go into a low-security area and / or explicitly go looking for trouble.

As for the impact this may have on intentional combat, well, read this:

"I should also point out that Voyager Direct is intended only to sell cosmetic items or basic ship items that would be available on pretty much any planet – the better items will always have to be bought by actually flying to the appropriate planet or earning the via gameplay. There is no need to buy anything from Voyager Direct – it is all OPTIONAL and should be viewed the same way that you view paying for a subscription or buying a skin. All of this will be earnable in the game, without too much time invested.

I’m very opposed to having a game where ANY of the items, outside of your initial game / ship package can be only purchased with cash. I hate the bifurcation of items in most online games, even when they are just for flair items. I want Star Citizen to allow players to earn everything they need in-game for ships, upgrades and even flair.

Our plan is once Star Citizen is launched the games ongoing running and content costs (which will be significant as we’re a data & content heavy game) will be supported by the ongoing purchase of new game packages as well as the money the game will earn by some of the players choosing to buy some UEC credits with real money as they don’t have the time or patience to earn the item in game (and for this I wanted to establish a cap so someone can’t just come in and buy everything, although with a skill based game with a heavy rock paper scissors approach to ship design and weapons this won’t help that much as you think). We are making the bet that this will be enough to cover the game ongoing running costs and we will not need a subscription like other big online games live Eve Online or World of War Craft. But it is a risk as we’re taking some of the things that games use to support on-going running costs like sale of flair items and making them not require money just gameplay."

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2013, 20:50.

71. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 19:03 Parias

Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 18:56:
Parias wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 18:54:
For those who missed the livestream - they apparently have the guy who did the UI stuff in Ironman 3 handling their HUD design.

And it looks pretty snazzy.

That looks rather bloated. I hope there'll be more minimal UI options.

It's got a better radar than X Rebirth.

During the Livestream they explained in quite a bit of detail that there will be lots of options to minimize / adjust certain aspects of the UI as needed. They're going for something cool while still catering to various player preferences.

67. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 18:54 Parias

For those who missed the livestream - they apparently have the guy who did the UI stuff in Ironman 3 handling their HUD design.

And it looks pretty snazzy.

Kosumo wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 18:48:
The next question is what about the cheaters?

The could suffer badly from cheaters/hacks and griffers.

Thats what killed the Dayz fun for me (and many others)

Have they talked about this?

Yes, many times.

For example:

"The game will be fully client/server with all significant actions validated on the server (and the client won't be trusted).

We have developers (including myself) who have worked on multiple MMOs and online games, so we know how cheating can hurt a game and what kind of cheats/attacks can be attempted (though new ones can always be discovered!). We'll do everything we can to prevent cheating (including being true client/server), and when the inevitable vulnerability slips through the cracks and is discovered we will take care of it as fast as possible."

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2013, 19:01.

54. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 16:20 Parias

ItBurn wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 16:12:
Echelon Wind Warriors published by Bethesda. Anyone played that? It sure had flaws, but I loved the flight physics.

The storyline in it was actually kind of funny (if suffering a bit from the usual translation problems) - and the fact it had full campaign co-op made it insanely fun.

48. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 15:27 Parias

ItBurn wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 15:19:
What? Freelancer is the best space sim I ever played. Especially because of the great controls and the amount of things to do. The execution was top notch and it all worked flawlessly in coop.

I'd argue against it being a good space "sim", because it literally was a point and click kill-kill-kill experience (complete with health potions).

You say you haven't tried Starlancer or Freespace? Try them. I won't contest that Freelancer was a fun action game (I got a lot of enjoyment out of it too), but it's a bit of a different genre from what's really a "sim" - and better embodies the kind of gameplay Star Citizen is promising.

46. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 15:02 Parias

Wildone wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 15:00:
How much is the monthly subscription gonna be I wonder

There is no required monthly subscription. You purchase once for a standard retail price and that's it.

Developer citations here.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2013, 15:17.

408 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo