Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 497 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > EFF vs ESA on DMCA for Abandoned Games
7. Re: EFF vs ESA on DMCA for Abandoned Games Apr 9, 2015, 14:26 Parias

Darks wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 14:18:
Parias wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 13:46:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 13:29:
Vio wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 12:38:
letting people continue to play the games they paid forówill destroy the video game industry.

Think of the children!

Rolleyes

Really? You're siding with the ESA on this?

Heh, I think he was being sarcastic.

He was, some of these guys have their serious hats on and need to take a breather.

I'm in agreement that we should be able to find workarounds. Look what EA does to games all the time. Mercenaries anyone? They shut their servers down and you cant play that game Coop anymore. Such BS!!

Mercenaries 2? Yeah, that's fucking retarded - for some dumb reason they refused to put LAN play in the game and made co-op multiplayer completely dependent on their online matchmaking servers. Then they turned it off so that you can't play co-op at all. And it's super-annoying because co-op in this game was so incredibly fun.

But, fear not! Here's your solution: http://teknogods.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=6 - I've used this myself and it works perfectly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: EFF vs ESA on DMCA for Abandoned Games Apr 9, 2015, 13:46 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 13:29:
Vio wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 12:38:
letting people continue to play the games they paid forówill destroy the video game industry.

Think of the children!

Rolleyes

Really? You're siding with the ESA on this?

Heh, I think he was being sarcastic.

2. Re: EFF vs ESA on DMCA for Abandoned Games Apr 9, 2015, 12:21 Parias

I do hope this makes some traction though. I have a lot of older games I still routinely play to this day, and really hate the issues that online server requirements cause. People should be allowed to establish workarounds for these once a given game gets old enough.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Revealed
33. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Revealed Apr 8, 2015, 00:24 Parias

Task wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 00:20:
Well this is interesting news. But really, they need to bring back good ol JC Denton cameo.

I always admired his ability to deal with bomb threats.

News Comments > Star Citizen March Update
16. Re: Star Citizen March Update Apr 7, 2015, 22:19 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 20:53:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 17:50:
Nothing I've seen suggests the planetside content will be boring and unnecessary. In fact one of the videos CIG put out explained how they were implementing NPC events (i.e. a bandit might attack you or a shady character will offer you a mission) and allowing people the ability to sneak in weapons in order to make sure players are always on their toes. They recognised that locations like those shown are impressive at first but quickly blend into the background, so they'll be creating dynamic activities to create compelling experiences. Whether they'll deliver is another matter but they're certainly well aware of the mistakes of other games.

I picture it as being something like Skyrim, only a bit more interactive and with other players. As with most elements of the game players will be able to choose what to prioritise, so if you don't care for the planetside locations you can minimise your exposure to them.

The only thing that bothered me about the planetary stuff was that the landing sequence looked to be a non-interactive 2 minute cut scene. That's fine the first few times, but I hope that's skippable.

I think it'll end up being necessary to some end because that's how they'll dynamically load content when you're transitioning from orbit to the surface (no loading screens) -- but you'll be able to freely move around inside of your ship and access your financial empire, guild details, inventory, check up on your ship equipment, etc on the way down - or just screw around with anyone else you brought onboard your ship for the trip.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Revealed
9. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Revealed Apr 7, 2015, 19:24 Parias

Totally excited for this - let's hope it lives up to the promises.  

News Comments > Star Citizen March Update
8. Re: Star Citizen March Update Apr 7, 2015, 16:46 Parias

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 15:16:
Did any of you guys play X-Rebirth?

It had a whole bunch of "pretty" station running around in that game which served to do two things:

#1: Annoy the shit out of the player
#2: Waste tons of time not actually playing the game.

I feel like while walking into Dumper's Depot looks cool. Functionally, as a video game should be fun foremost, it will be tedious and boring as fuck.

Really hope this is actually minimal in the game as docking at many stations just to run around trying to find _____ NPC which sells OMGSOAWESOME GUN which everyone wants for their 200$DOWNTHEDRAIN ship to make it LOLSO1337 will just be annoying.

I actually liked the idea of walking around inside of stations, etc in X:Rebirth. My problem with the game is that it felt horrible, awkward, and tacked on as an afterthought rather than being an actual decent gameplay mechanic. The transition between space and being docked at a station was also jarring - you just "teleport" into a different map instance without anything happening in between.

Star Citizen looks like it's actually trying to do this stuff properly and actually add a point behind it all, especially with the FPS mechanics. I say let them try.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on Steam
10. Re: Elite: Dangerous on Steam Apr 2, 2015, 19:59 Parias

Text visibility can vary depending on a few other factors, including how the Rift is adjusted, IPD settings, etc - I should mention for my experience with the Rift and Elite: Dangerous I actually found the text pretty readable (but still blurry).

So I disagree that text is "absolutely unreadable" as a lot of things can factor into this - but it's true the tech does have a ways to go. When it hits final and the blurry problems are addressed, it'll be extremely awesome.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
96. Re: Into the Black Mar 31, 2015, 18:03 Parias

Tumbler wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 17:33:
The connie just destroys this ship on paper

"On paper" is the thing. The stats are utterly meaningless right now, especially as the developers keep changing things around. Don't make any serious judgements based on them - if you have to pledge for a ship, just go with whatever sounds cool and wait to see what becomes of things. Worst-case you can just trade it in for credit and get something else.

News Comments > Asteroids: Outpost Early Access; Other Remakes Considered
8. Re: Asteroids: Outpost Early Access; Other Remakes Considered Mar 27, 2015, 17:08 Parias

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 14:33:
Hey, it can't be any worse than Sierra's take on an Outpost game!

I actually found Outpost 2 to be pretty fun - is that the one you're referring to? I know it was kinda linear, but I thought it worked well as a standalone product and the soundtrack kicked ass for it's time.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Mar 27, 2015, 05:23 Parias

What was wrong with the physics puzzles? I don't really remember them getting in the way at all (or much of them in the first place, I guess).

Which means I'm probably overdue for a playthrough, and this mod looks like the perfect excuse to do so.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Supervillain DLC Released
2. Re: Tropico 5 Supervillain DLC Released Mar 27, 2015, 05:19 Parias

Evil Genius was freaking awesome. Shame it never got a proper sequel.

I guess Evil Genius Online is being made, but I'm not sure what to think about it.

News Comments > PC Exclusive Halo Online Revealed for Russia
11. Re: PC Exclusive Halo Online Revealed for Russia Mar 25, 2015, 17:12 Parias

Flak wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 17:00:
Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 16:36:
I vaguely recall playing the first one. Never understood what the hubbub was about, bub.

It was one of the first console shooters to dumb down gameplay to the point where any dummy could pick up a controller and start spamming nades or one-shot-kill knife attacks. People love to rip on Call of Duty but Halo is one of the original culprits of the complete pussification of modern shooters.

Not to mention the story is dry, predictable, has no memorable characters and the gameplay is about as canned and generic as you could possibly imagine.

=\ I enjoyed the story of the Halo franchise...

Actually, I pretty much only played the games for the singleplayer. Really loved ODST, Reach, and Halo 4 in particular.

Why the hell aren't we getting THOSE on PC?

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
44. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 13:48 Parias

Caslon wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 13:33:
Making Half Life: Episode 3 would have been dumb. Why make another "Episode" when the first two "Episodes" looked and played exactly the same? Why?

To complete the story? Episode 2 kinda left things on a cliffhanger.

To which I'd gladly pay up-front for Episode 3. I enjoyed the story in the Half-Life games... like, really REALLY enjoyed. I don't care what exactly they do with Episode 3 and I don't have insane expectations for it - I'm fine with it coming out with the same approximate gameplay. I just want them to finish the damn story, because telling a story is the kind of thing they're good at.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints
3. Re: Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints Feb 25, 2015, 11:46 Parias

That's pretty disappointing - co-op play is the main reason I still boot up some of the past Resident Evil games (5 in particular was great for it). I don't think I'm going to bother with this one unless they get proper co-op play put into it.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
47. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 16:36 Parias

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 16:30:
Still ain't gonna buy ATI.

What's wrong with ATI (or, AMD I guess) out of curiosity? I'm still rocking a pair of HD7950's and they serve me well.

But I've been debating between waiting for AMD's next GPU offering (allegedly due Q2 2015) or jumping on what nVidia has now - I tend to jump back and forth between vendors for each GPU generation, so I'm a little oblivious to the vendor-specific hate I see going around sometimes.

News Comments > NVIDIA Evolve Drivers
2. Re: NVIDIA Evolve Drivers Feb 10, 2015, 17:16 Parias

Tim Collins wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 16:39:
Assassin Creed Unity performance went up 10% on 970 and below because they purposely hobbled its performance on anything less then a 980....

Seriously

I'm always all for the "bash ACU because it's terrible" bandwagon, but do you have any sources you can cite for this? I'm curious on the technical details and the why.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 10, 2015, 14:30 Parias

DangerDog wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 14:15:
Titanfall 2?

*blinks*

why?

Why not? I found the first game to be pretty entertaining - I'd love to see it in a more story-oriented singleplayer / co-op setting so they can explore the universe they've set up in more detail though. Would work great for a sequel.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 8, 2015, 18:22 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 16:10:
walrus1 wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 15:50:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 15:04:
Valkyria Chronicles. Any good?

I had a friend who loved it on the PS3. I haven't played it but the graphical style of the game just looks like bad graphics to me.

Huh, I like and appreciated the faux watercolor look of the graphics, even if it is anime. That's the main reason I'm considering it, if the gameplay is good. Different strokes I guess.

Same here - I actually really enjoyed the art style to the game (though yes, it is pretty anime-styled). The storyline actually isn't too bad either, although you'll either love / hate the dialogue (aside from cringe-worthy voice acting from a couple of the characters which you can just kick out of your team and never hear from anyways if you want).

The gameplay's solid as well. It basically felt like the Front Mission games except with a focus on tanks and infantry instead, which is not a bad thing. It's all turn-based and extremely tactical without being frustrating (most of the time).

I enjoyed the hell out of the game and haven't regretted my purchase at all. If you don't mind the art style and are the kind of gamer who enjoyed Front Mission, X-Com, and the like, then it's totally worth picking up.

News Comments > Men of War: Assault Squad 2 This Month
3. Re: Men of War: Assault Squad 2 This Month Feb 3, 2015, 21:43 Parias

Anybody have any idea if the new "singleplayer skirmishes" will be co-op friendly? I love the hell out of this game series, but only for how much fucking fun we have with it at LAN parties. Nearly everything else they've done has pretty much supported co-op, so...  

497 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo