Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 407 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Kane & Lynch 2 Ships, DLC Announced
7. Re: Kane & Lynch 2 Ships, DLC Announced Aug 17, 2010, 13:13 Parias

At least this time around they're apparently offering online co-op play - being restricted to split-screen for the original was incredibly irritating.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM Interview
5. Re: XCOM Interview Aug 6, 2010, 21:35 Parias

kxmode wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 19:14:
ibm wrote on Aug 6, 2010, 16:58:
Not selling out and giving into the masses by changing a turn based strategy game into an fps... ok.

Because seriously who plays turn based strategy games these days?

Sword of the Stars is an epic favorite at any LAN party I participate in.

News Comments > QuakeCon Done Quick
3. Re: QuakeCon Done Quick Aug 3, 2010, 05:33 Parias

Quake Done Quick was one of my most favorite pieces of machinima back in the day.  

News Comments > Metro 2034 Revealed
2. Re: Metro 2034 Revealed Jun 29, 2010, 13:45 Parias

Awesome! I loved the original, can't wait to see how the next one turns out.  

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: Argos Navy Yard Patch
6. Re: Sword of the Stars Patch Jun 29, 2010, 12:35 Parias

The best part of the combat is how it's all physics-driven and such. Unlike games which just do invisible number crunching to determine if a shot will "hit" or not and how much damage it will do (i.e. Sins of a Solar Empire), things like projectile trajectories and locational damage are modeled accurately in SOTS. You can also tell your fleet to target specific parts of a ship (i.e. the turrets) and watch those components break apart when destroyed, and so on.

My only disappointment with the game is a lack of visual detail on the level Nexus: The Jupiter Incident had (visible ship nameplates, maneuvering thrusters, etc), but allegedly that's being looked at for the upcoming SOTS sequel.

Beyond that though it's awesome. My favorite memory is when I was attacking a planet with a bunch of Mass Driver-equipped ships and ended up knocking the enemy ships out of orbit and into the planet they were defending, simply because their engines couldn't compensate for the sheer amount of kinetic force my weapons were throwing at them.

News Comments > Sniper: Ghost Warrior Tactics
3. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior Tactics Jun 9, 2010, 16:02 Parias

Neat - does this mean it'll have co-op play?  

News Comments > Men of War: Vietnam Revealed?
5. Re: Men of War: Vietnam Revealed? Jun 4, 2010, 11:12 Parias

Some of the best co-op gaming I've ever had has been from this series. Definitely a must-buy for me as well.  

News Comments > Metro 2033 DLC Revealed
3. Re: Metro 2033 DLC Revealed May 12, 2010, 22:07 Parias

Agreed - the game itself is fantastic, and is something I'll likely play through again a few months or a year from now. I don't see myself booting it up again right away now that new DLC is out though.  

News Comments > EA on C&C4's "No" DRM
30. Re: You actually love the message just not who is saying it. Mar 18, 2010, 19:40 Parias

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 18:20:
Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2010, 17:17:
The bullshit piles up so fast with these guys you need wings to stay above it. I categorically refuse to use any system where the choice of when, where, and how long I can use the product is out of my hands. Not to mention tracking how long and what I play and who knows what other snooping around to acquire more information on me to sell to marketing companies.
Says a guy who uses Steam. Steam also does everyone of these things, and yet you loved HL2 and Valve's other games which use Steam from your posts on this forum. What you really mean, hypocrite, is that you will only bend over and take it from Valve and not EA.

EA is just taking a page from Valve's playbook as most of its fanboys don't realize or admit that Steam uses DRM either.

Except that with Steam, you still have the option of playing a given game while offline - and it doesn't interrupt you if a disconnection event occurs during gameplay or do something dumb like annex all of your progress up to that point.

Not to mention that Valve hasn't randomly shut down authentication servers for certain games (i.e. Mercenaries 2), and has indicated they'll provide a method for continuing to be able to play their games should their authentication services be discontinued. Additionally, Valve (and the subsequent parties releasing their games under Steam) aren't beating around the bush trying to pretend their games don't have DRM.

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Mod Support "Out of the Question" at Release
25. Re: Bad Company 2 Mod Support Feb 17, 2010, 14:25 Parias

#18: Agreed, I was expecting a literal coop play focus too. Bah.  

News Comments > System Shock Modification
1. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 21:10 Parias

Wow, this is pretty cool. I wish people would do things like this more often.  

News Comments > Wal-Mart & Best Buy End Trade-in Experiments
3. Re: Wal-Mart & Best Buy End Trade-in Experiments Feb 1, 2010, 16:31 Parias

Me neither - didn't realize this was under way.  

News Comments > Front Mission Evolved Trailer, Details
1. Re: Front Mission Evolved Trailer, Details Jan 20, 2010, 19:42 Parias

Glad to see SOMEBODY is still doing giant robot games. Hope this one turns out good.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Men of War Gold Edition
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Men of War Gold Edition Dec 1, 2009, 23:45 Parias

Bear in mind though that Red Tide doesn't offer co-op play, which is pretty retarded. If you dig around on the official forums though you'll find a workaround which involves just launching the standalone expansion as a "mod" for the original game, and then making slight modifications to the mission files to make them co-op compatible. Annoying that the developers didn't just do this themselves, because this really is one of the greatest co-op games I've played.  

News Comments > ACES Team Flies Again
1. Re: ACES Team Flies Again Oct 14, 2009, 00:49 Parias

Damn - I was hoping this was some reference to a new Ace Combat game or something.  

News Comments > Lighthouse Interactive Bankrupt
2. Re: Lighthouse Interactive Bankrupt Mar 25, 2009, 12:57 Parias

Damn, this sucks - I loved the crap out of Sword of the Stars, and these guys were pretty good publishers.  

News Comments > Men of War Movies
2. Re: Men of War Movies Mar 5, 2009, 20:13 Parias

This is definitely a fun-ass game - anybody overlooking it because it's "just another WW2 game" is making a horrible mistake. Some of the best co-op action I've encountered has come from this.  

News Comments > Terra Nova Retrospective
14. Re: Terra Nova Retrospective Feb 27, 2009, 15:53 Parias

They were actually working on a multiplayer version of the game (and had it advertised on the back of the jewel case), but sadly it never came out.  

News Comments > Cryostasis, NecroVisioN, and Men of War Dated
5. Re: Cryostasis, NecroVisioN, and Men of War Dated Jan 14, 2009, 18:01 Parias

Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 and Faces of War are two of the most-played co-op games at the LAN parties I go to. Definitely looking forward to Men of War, and I'm hoping they continue including co-op functionality.  

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Install Code Glitch
3. Re: Red Alert 3 Install Code Glitch Oct 30, 2008, 12:42 Parias

Haha, fair enough. And here I was ready to launch into another "screwed by DRM" tirade...

Edit: Oh, this is nice. Stolen from the VoodooExtreme thread on this:

"The installer is a pretty standard EA installer. When you enter the wrong key 3 times in a row, it closes the installer, so you have to restart it and enter your key in again with your guess for the last character. After it closed the 1st time for me, I typed my code into notepad and c/ped the damn thing in each time."

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2008, 12:46.

407 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo