Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 425 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Funded
12. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 3, 2013, 14:34 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 19:06:
In the age of the internet, sometimes you want to be social with people in the same room without giving up geeky pleasures.

I do this - it's called "haul my computer over to the other guy's place and play co-op games all day while yelling at each other each time someone screws up".

(In all seriousness though, I concur - boardgames still have a good place. We've had craploads of fun with the Battlestar Galactica boardgame)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fez Ports Planned
6. Re: Fez Ports Planned Jan 2, 2013, 11:18 Parias

Verno wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 09:50:
I remember this guy (Phil Fish):

Fez is a console game, not a PC game," he states, emphatically. "It's made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning. To me, that matters; that's part of the medium."

B-but, that's how I actually play my PC games! =\

(Yes, I know - I guess I'm part of the "single gamer living in a small apartment with his computer plugged into a huge TV screen" minority)

Edit:

ASeven wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 10:36:
This is the same guy who said stuff like this. He is the ultimate douchebag and a fucking hypocrite since now that Fez didn't make almost any money on the consoles he now changes his tune towards PC gamers.

I don't care how good this game is, I cannot in good conscience support a developer as arrogant and douchey as this fucker.

Good lord. This actually explains a lot, now.

This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2013, 11:23.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 13:16 Parias

bhcompy wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 12:58:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 11:53:

Sims 2 was released in 2005, 7 years ago. Do you realize a lot of games that don't retire servers, simply have their servers stop working over time because of things like "out of business" etc?

I for one would not be playing SC5 in 7 years if I were to buy it any time soon.

Maybe it's just you. I still pull out Sim City 2000 every once in a while to have some fun, or because I want to show my son a game that's better than Minecraft.

And, of course, the problem isn't multiplayer, the problem is that you have to play on their servers for singleplayer.

I echo this sentiment - I still dust off my old 7+ year old games every now and then and play through them.

The shutting down of servers would be less of an issue for me in this case if it didn't affect the singleplayer component. At the least they should come out with some kind of server emulator or something.

Case in point: Mercenaries 2. Came out to PC with no LAN play whatsoever. I finally picked it up a few years later when I learned it had co-op, and was crushed when I found out they had turned off the online servers - there was literally no way to play the game multiplayer, at all, meaning I had pretty much wasted the (admittedly small) investment put into picking it up.

Fortunately someone had coded up their own home-brew server emulator for the game - we plugged that in and were up and running in no time.

I can understand having to decommission old server infrastructure after a period of time, but for god's sake, give your customers some kind of alternative solution instead of hanging them out to dry.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Sequel Confirmed?
3. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Sequel Confirmed? Dec 20, 2012, 12:29 Parias

I had a ton of fun with GRAW on the PC doing co-op - I could park in a corner and use the top-down view to issue orders to the other players like an RTS game, while they ran around and killed stuff. It was great.

Future Soldier was fun too; the scripted events and mission structure made the game pretty interesting, particularly when combined with the rover. It was a bit arcadey and less strategic-feeling than the previous games (and the storyline was hard to pay attention to), but still decent amounts of fun.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Sequel Confirmed?
1. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Sequel Confirmed? Dec 20, 2012, 10:52 Parias

If it's got full campaign co-op like it's predecessor, I'll bite.  

News Comments > PC Resident Evil 6 in March
21. Re: PC Resident Evil 6 in March Dec 18, 2012, 19:11 Parias

Ecthelion wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:29:
Yes, that works the same as RE5. Full campaign co-op makes the games a lot of fun.

Awesome, that sells it for me then. RE6 just moved into must-get territory for me.

News Comments > PC Resident Evil 6 in March
16. Re: PC Resident Evil 6 in March Dec 18, 2012, 11:11 Parias

I actually really enjoyed Resident Evil 5 - the only reason was because it had full co-op through the entire campaign, and was fuckloads of fun for me and a friend to go through. I guess as a purely singleplayer title it might not have stacked up too well, but it was one of the best co-op experiences I've had.

Plus it gave me the opportunity to make this screenshot.

Did they do the same thing with RE6 - does it have full campaign co-op? I remember reading some previews and getting mixed signals because it was sort of talking about a drop-in / drop-out mechanic that only worked at certain points and sounded terrible.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold
10. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 11:42 Parias

MajorD wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 10:53:
Yeah, CS was meh. I'm sure you are aware of it, but if not, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is best played with the 'Complete' Mod, and it is available for all three games. Somebody here on Blue's News posted the info and link some time ago, but I don't remember who it was. Anyway, it is supposed to hold true to the original art styles and story, but I don't know if it does, as I've only played SoC and CS with the 'Complete' mod. It looks really good, plays well, and is worth checking out for anyone that isn't familiar with the mod. Good hunting!

Have they fixed the Complete mod for CoP yet? I was all excited to dive right into it, but I heard that particular variant (unlike the one for the other two games) is hideously broken and the developer abandoned it. This sort of mothballed my drive to get into CoP (which is still outstanding on my to-play list), because I just didn't feel like throwing away an entire day trying to figure out how to get a bunch of different mods working when "Complete" usually makes it so easy.

News Comments > No BioShock Infinite Multiplayer
31. Re: No BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Nov 26, 2012, 15:01 Parias

Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 14:28:
It isn't so much about dudebro ignorance, though that's there, as it is about bang for the buck. A single player game, outside of open world games like Skyrim, is 8-20 hours. A multiplayer game is endless. If you're only going to buy one game this month, it makes sense to get the game that will last you the entire month. Or two months. Whatever your budget is.

I really wish that mentality wasn't so prevalent though, if only because I find competitive multiplayer games really repetitive, and I tire of them quickly. I'd much rather have a really engrossing singleplayer / co-op experience to dive into. Yes, for any singleplayer game I'm likely to shelve it after a playthrough, but if it's really good, I'll always pick it up again a few months later to give it another run-through. I do this for all of the great singleplayer games in my collection.

Of course, I also know that it isn't the same for everyone, and others prefer competitive multiplayer to singleplayer, and that I'm probably in the minority. Which is OK... my problem with this is that the raw sales metrics affect what kind of games end up published in the future. These days, this means I'm far less likely to see the kind of singleplayer / co-op gameplay experience I enjoy come onto the market.

News Comments > No BioShock Infinite Multiplayer
29. Re: No BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Nov 26, 2012, 14:21 Parias

PropheT wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 13:10:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 12:25:
I never once wanted a MP mode for Bioshock, or System Shock 2 for that matter, so I don't see the point to having one in this.

System Shock 2 had multiplayer. I played through the majority of the game co-op on a LAN.

Agreed, this is actually the only way I've ever played through the game. The annual three-way System Shock 2 co-op sessions my local LAN group has are the things of legend.

I do concur that competitive multiplayer might not be a super good fit for BS: Infinite, but I do find myself wishing it would have co-op play implemented, just because co-op in SS2 was so darned fun. I always wished the previous Bioshock releases had co-op as well.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 25, 2012, 16:31 Parias

ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2012, 16:28:
Smoke trails in space?

That was your scientific nitpick of the day.

He DID say in the video that it's a placeholder effect.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Patch
14. Re: Assassin's Creed III Patch Nov 23, 2012, 20:19 Parias

Quboid wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 16:17:
I've only played Ass Creed 2, because I was interested in the The Ship style multiplayer. However, the mouse control rendered it unplayable - has this improved? I'm not sure what exactly the problem was, possibly horrible acceleration.

Mouse control was great for me - I've actually always been a fan of the mouse implementation for the AC games just because it's one of the few franchises to ship with a native 5-mouse-button control scheme that works well.

But I've also got a pretty high-end mouse with easily-scalable DPI settings, so maybe that's why I had less of an issue with the input in general.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III Patch
6. Re: Assassin's Creed III Patch Nov 23, 2012, 14:23 Parias

Fibrocyte wrote on Nov 23, 2012, 14:08:
Interesting... I heard this game is the worst one of the series. I'll have to investigate more before I grab it for my son for xmas.

Considered the worst for what reasons, out of curiosity? I've heard exactly the opposite and plan to buy this game as soon as possible.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter
17. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 17:30 Parias

Gadzooks wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 16:00:
Start a kickstarter for Dungeon Keeper 3, and ill fund it.

Why has this not happened yet?

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Multiplayer Trailer
3. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Multiplayer Trailer Nov 21, 2012, 13:25 Parias

Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 11:55:
The real meat of this game is going to be the Coop Campaign.

Agreed, that's the main reason I'm anticipating this.

Edit: I partly take it back - after seeing the trailer, this looks like it could be pretty fun. Sure, they spruced it up a bunch just for the sake of dramatic presentation, but... I think it worked.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2012, 15:19.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends
10. Re: Star Citizen's Record Funding Drive Ends Nov 20, 2012, 00:05 Parias

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 21:50:
Seeing as we can't verify these numbers. PEs record still stands as the KS record. And even if they were verifiable PEs record still stands for KS regardless. Regardless, people are going to get burned on this. BURNED!!!

Why are you so incredibly determined to shit all over this game at every opportunity?

News Comments > Last Day for Hero-U Kickstarter
4. Re: Last Day for Hero-U Kickstarter Nov 19, 2012, 17:35 Parias

Dev wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:54:
Zyrxil wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 12:31:
Sell me on this. Why should I risk even $20 on a team who last worked on games 12 years ago? This seems like just another "Hey remember that thing you loved 20 years ago? Here's a huge list of vague promises, give us lots of money." project. If they wanted to make games, they've had plenty of opportunity since then. Or is it that they think they're too good to make a $30k game for release through an Indie publishing channel?
Isn't that similar in some ways to the situation with Chris Roberts and the space sim?

I was going to say the same thing. Of all valid reasons to avoid investing, that shouldn't be one of them. Star Citizen has definitely had no problem getting funding.

News Comments > Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars
43. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 15:00 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:54:
Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 14:08:
Wrong. It's the blind optimism and wishful thinking toward this game that's totally unwarranted here. And in couple of years you're going to see that.

Yeah, it's a risk. But I think based on the evidence that it's a small one. Could Roberts pull a Schilling on us? It's possible. But the man basically invented this genre on PC and has a history of shipping multiple games. And given both the work done so far and the enthusiasm, I think he'll be bouyed along with the current of good will.

I was skeptical too, which is why I waited and waited, but in the end I backed.

Ditto, I hardly consider this "blind optimism" - the guy already has a proven track-record. As the Star Citizen initiative is a whole new direction of course, it is still a bit more of an open-ended question on where this will ultimately end up going, and how well it will be delivered... I've seen little that gives me any fear so far, however.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mister Torgue DLC Next Week; More Details
18. Re: Borderlands 2 Mister Torgue DLC Next Week; More Details Nov 16, 2012, 17:39 Parias

RailWizard wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 15:43:
I just meant "gamers" are mostly drooling idiots these days, and they are the market now apparently so the bar is set much lower than before.

I think I know someone who can help with that problem.

News Comments > StarCraft II Global Play Coming
11. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 13:00 Parias

DG wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 06:36:
For a SP-only player, is SC2 worth buying? Never played SC, did enjoy some of the C&C games (the original, Red Alert & Generals).

Both the original and SC2 are known for having pretty good storylines - I've actually only ever played the series in single-player, and have never touched the competitive multiplayer.

425 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo