Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 407 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardware Debut Trailer
3. Re: Hardware Debut Trailer Mar 31, 2013, 20:53 Parias

I was incredibly excited for this until I read "persistent multiplayer game" -- is this not going to have a singleplayer storyline?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guns of Icarus Online Adventure Mode Kickstarter
2. Re: Guns of Icarus Online Adventure Mode Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 00:47 Parias

Yup, agreed - I would really love this as a co-op game that I could just sit down with a small group of friends to enjoy during a LAN party.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
22. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 16:12 Parias

DangerDog wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 15:38:
Let's start with texture pop-up, very few games that used the engine properly dealt with that issue.

You really have to work hard to remove the feeling that you're playing a mod for Unreal Tournament 3 and way too many games just felt like lazy game developers recycling the included assets with the dev kit over and over again.

The physics in the engine always felt like a "good enough" check box feature and always tainted games in a bad way, most egregiously with anything trying to implement vehicles were just plain awful 90% of the time.

Those are some of my gripes, I can only think of a few games that overcame the deficiencies - Mirrors Edge for example and DICE replaced a lot of the subsystems included by default. Just replacing the lighting was a huge improvement.

That's all fair - I know what you mean about the texture streaming issues in particular, although it was never really an issue for me as I played most multiplatform UE3 games on my PC.

I think it's a bit extreme to say the engine "sucked" - it handled large outdoor environments very well and afforded a lot of games some very cool graphical and cinematic effects at good speeds. I can't disagree with the points outlined though.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
20. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 15:26 Parias

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 14:03:
Ue3 sucked so they better step up here.

What exactly sucked about it? Given the number of games that leveraged it, I thought it was working pretty well for it's generation.

News Comments > FEZ Coming to Steam
5. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 18, 2013, 21:54 Parias

ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 21:36:
Remember, the dev is the douche who said precious stuff as this. Now that his console incursion didn't bring him that much money he's back to PC gamers, hoping people forget how much of a douchenozzle he was.

Haven't forgotten. I'll still try this anyways since this game sounds neat, but I'd almost be curious to read a retrospective covering what led to this ultimate about-face.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Adding Occulus Rift Support
2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Adding Occulus Rift Support Mar 18, 2013, 21:52 Parias

Neat. The more games I see adopting something for this, the happier I am.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 13, 2013, 17:48 Parias

Panickd wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 17:03:
Try "bad" because it's simply pointless to play. For a game that is supposed to be about a planetwide war between three disparate factions it typically boils down to bottleneck battles that everyone joins in on not because they really want their faction to take or hold a particular area but because it's the quickest way to rack up XP. Taking and holding any given area is totally pointless and adds absolutely nothing to the game. There isn't any real benefit to having your faction totally own the map and there isn't any real detriment to being pushed back to your faction's warpgate. There is no "endgame" so there is no real point to anything that happens in the game, ever.

Giving new players somewhere to go and learn is a good thing but it doesn't solve the major flaw in the design of the game. If they would put in an endgame that resets every time one faction "wins" it would go a long way toward making the game's players feel like what they were doing mattered.

That makes much more sense - thanks. Was sort of curious how much this game was worth diving into again (although the "Continent locking" thing in the post below yours sounds interesting).

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 13, 2013, 16:36 Parias

loomy wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 16:02:
this game is really, really bad. tribes 2 circa 2001 bad.

Is it actually irredeemably "bad" for legit reasons, or just to your personal disliking? Someone a few posts up would seem to disagree (imperfect, but still fun), so I'm (genuinely) curious why you conversely think the game is simply terrible.

(If you're going to slam on a game, try to be constructive about it at least so your post has some use)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3: Awakened
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3: Awakened Mar 12, 2013, 15:38 Parias

I'm sort of confused by this as well. That said, I found co-op play in this to be fun as hell.. I might bite down the road when I can convince my friend to spend more money on this game.

Chronologically then I'm still a bit unclear, does this take place in the middle of the game's main campaign, or afterwards? I always feel awkward about beating a game, and then going "back" to play DLC that's supposed to take place in the middle of the plot. From the "left for dead" commentary though, it sounds like it'd take place after the main game.

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
19. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:27 Parias

This is beyond tragic - all they had to do was ship the game with an offline component and they could have avoided nearly all of this pain. Instead, they ended up with this.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider DLC on Xbox 360 This Month
9. Re: Tomb Raider DLC on Xbox 360 This Month Mar 7, 2013, 12:53 Parias

avianflu wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:54:
Let's further stomp that once notable franchise into the ground.

Hey now, this actually isn't too bad of a game - and unlike most franchises that literally do get stomped into the ground, they're actually trying to take it in a new direction. I say let them try.

(Although I won't comment on the multiplayer as I don't really have much interest there)

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
41. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 16:35 Parias

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:40:
Parias wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:08:
Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:27:
DX:HR was excellent and the rubbish boss fights were only 50% their fault, in that they didn't make them but they should have paid more attention. I didn't like the expansion but that's a relatively minor complaint.

Heh, that's a bit of an ironic stance.... are you aware that the expansion had what was considered a "fixed" approach to boss fights - you could approach that particular battle any way you wanted to, and even just knock the guy out instead of killing him if you wanted? It was one of the better points.

The boss fight in the expansion may have been better than those in the base game, but the expansion as a whole was extremely forgettable ... so forgettable, I don't actually remember a boss fight. I think there was one in a huge hanger which gave you much more freedom. That's good, but on the whole, the expansion wasn't special and when I play through DX:HR again, I'll probably skip it.

I suppose I can't completely disagree... what I hated the most as well was that it didn't even integrate properly into the main campaign, yet takes place squarely in the middle of the story. Meaning that either I play through the whole original game and then have to "mentally rewind" where I am in the plot to even attempt to immerse myself in the DLC, or guestimate ahead of time whereabouts in the plot I need to save, manually bomb out, and then launch into a completely separate executable.

I really don't understand why they couldn't just inject it in between level loads - it would've squeezed in perfectly with a few adjustments. I know from a technical standpoint they did some engine updates which made it inherently incompatible with the original game, but I don't feel it was worth it.

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
26. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 14:08 Parias

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:27:
DX:HR was excellent and the rubbish boss fights were only 50% their fault, in that they didn't make them but they should have paid more attention. I didn't like the expansion but that's a relatively minor complaint.

Heh, that's a bit of an ironic stance.... are you aware that the expansion had what was considered a "fixed" approach to boss fights - you could approach that particular battle any way you wanted to, and even just knock the guy out instead of killing him if you wanted? It was one of the better points.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance TMed
23. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance TMed Feb 27, 2013, 18:09 Parias

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 14:56:
Enjoying my first run thru this game... shouldn't have read some of these posts. Just quit the main game at the ship to do the missing link, disappointed about the DLC not integrating into the main game.

This annoyed me to no end as well and is a bit of a problem for all of the subsequent playthroughs I've done; I hate needing advance knowledge for what point in the game I need to actually save, bomb out, and load up a completely different executable in order to play the DLC within the right "timeline" in the plot... and then awkwardly switch back to the core came when finished.

Why couldn't they just integrate it into the main game?

News Comments > Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
17. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 18:47 Parias

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 18:15:
End of an era? WTF? A bunch of advertising platforms go offline and it's the "end of an era"? Yeah. Of a mighty shitty era. Good riddance to these fuckers. The less, the better.

Are you new to the internet?

Edit: OK, that was a bit of a harsh response - RollinThundr's reply above echoes my sentiments pretty nicely. I've got some good memories of a few of these sites.

News Comments > Bungie's Destiny Details Soon
14. Re: Bungie's Destiny Details Soon Feb 12, 2013, 20:56 Parias

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 19:33:
Myth - A mediocre and forgettable RTS series

Wait, what? When did Myth become "mediocre"? I've barely played the series myself but I thought it was pretty much reknowned for it's popularity; was there some sudden paradigm shift in what old games are considered "good", or is this just a case of you personally disliking it for some reason?

News Comments > Bungie's Destiny Details Soon
6. Re: Bungie's Destiny Details Soon Feb 12, 2013, 18:05 Parias

Is the Halo franchise really all that terrible? I don't know - I find a lot of people slam on Halo just for the heck of it. I've always found the games pretty engaging and fun to play. There's a reason they sell so well. I don't mind that they keep putting out new chapters and releases because I always want to see what's going to happen next in the story.

Then again, I'm also one of those rare players who's only in it for the singleplayer / co-op and avoids the competitive multiplayer like the plague - maybe that's where the franchise gets a lot of it's bad rap from?

Edit: Either way I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops - at the least Bungie's games always have a ton of refinement behind them, co-op play (for the most part) and tend to align with my own particular favored genres and settings. Even if this turns out to be "just another shooter", I'll probably still play it for these reasons alone.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2013, 18:15.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 18:48 Parias

Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 18:19:
Remember being a child? You liked Nintendo so you didn't buy a Sega. Maybe your friends grinded you a bit at school but that was about it.

A little off-topic, but I always feel like I'm in the minority when I say that this has never been the case for me. I've never had any kind of hard-core brand favoritism like that; it was just that all the different gaming platforms had games different available. I didn't really see any significant pros or cons to any of them; it was all down to whatever game I wanted to play at the time.

Which is pretty much the same case at it is now; I never understand why people get so bent out of shape with comments about Xbox being "better" than the PS3 or vice-versa (for example). Maybe I'm just in a unique position though because I happen to own all of the major consoles and whichever one I use at the time is the same deal - down to whatever particular games I feel like playing (less of a consideration now given the propensity towards multi-platform releases). I don't really see one as being better than the other overall, although certain features on one platform may be better-implemented (and the other way around).

I'm the same way about games these days as well - I don't understand why people *have* to hate Hawken and love Mechwarrior Online, for example - why can't people enjoy both based on their own individual merits? Or, if one or the other happens to not quite fit one's tastes, why do they always have to go out of their way to declare the game "shitty" and without any redeeming merit whatsoever?

Actually, re-reading your post, I think this does fit what you're trying to say. This is also a major reason why I hate just about everyone on the internet and understand why most developers tend to avoid their own messageboards like the plague. The way average feedback goes these days, you would think that every single game that that is ever released is a horrible failure and that everyone should just give up on trying to make games.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event
6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event Jan 25, 2013, 13:27 Parias

1AngryGamer wrote on Jan 25, 2013, 13:25:
Ah ok. I dont do mulitplayer I thought this was a single player thing. I probably wouldnt even notice all that stuff

Yeah, all the discussions here apply only to the multiplayer mode - I'm in the same boat in that I didn't even bother with it. I've only ever been into Mass Effect for the singleplayer experience, and (controversial ending aside) have always found it very enjoyable. 3 was no exception.

News Comments > Storm Brewing at Starbreeze
7. Re: Storm Brewing at Starbreeze Jan 21, 2013, 15:07 Parias

Sir Graves wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 14:42:
Cool stuff. Co-op is awesome when done right (especially if you have a regular gaming group you play with) and I'm so glad it's had a resurgence in recent years!

I echo this sentiment - I love the hell out of co-op play and don't think it really deserves that bad of a rap. I'd rather play a game in a proper, storyline-driven co-op setting than competitive deathmatch.

That said, I do feel this should be balanced out by having a strong singleplayer setting to begin with. It's all about the storyline.

407 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo