Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 414 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Leviathan: Warships Jazzy Trailer
7. Re: Leviathan: Warships Jazzy Trailer Apr 17, 2013, 23:04 Parias

Yup, sold - almost completely from this awesome trailer alone. The promise of co-op play made up the last 10%.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Greenlights 18 More Games
1. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 13:54 Parias

Nice! Glad to see Cradle made it (and that it's actually still in development).  

News Comments > Dark Souls PC "Half-Assed" - PC Prioritized for Sequel
36. Re: Dark Souls PC Apr 12, 2013, 13:15 Parias

PropheT wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:51:
Darks wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 11:46:
Whatís offensive to me is when some junkie kid screams about needing controller support for a pc game. Yes that is offensive. You want to play with a controller go play on your console. Itís that simple. If you donít own one, then stop trying to turn your pc into one.

Games have been using controllers on PC for pretty much as long as consoles have had them. Joysticks used to be a must-have PC peripheral for any serious gamer. Is it really worth getting mad about what someone else uses on their PC, especially when there's nothing to base the idea on that keyboard and mouse are the only way to game on the platform?

Yeah - for games like GTA4, Saints Row 3, etc, I'll generally keep a gamepad handy to switch to for the driving bits because analog control makes driving a lot more fun than using the digital inputs of a keyboard. I'll then switch back to keyboard and mouse when I get out of a vehicle for the action bits.

And of course I still keep my Saitek X52 around when the urge to play Freespace 2 or DCS:A-10 strikes me - I couldn't picture playing those games any other way.

Edit: Doh, didn't realize this had already spanned onto a second page.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 11, 2013, 16:21 Parias

I just want to tool around in the 3D ship interiors with my friends - the ability to have a Millennium Falcon-esque transport with a fully detailed interior, mannable gun turrets, and even a launchable mini-fighter sounds very, very awesome. Lump in the prospects for co-op play and I'm completely sold.  

News Comments > Flashback HD Officially Announced
4. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 09:43 Parias

Wraith wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 09:28:
Seriously? Who gives a fuck? Putting a pretty face on 25 year old gameplay is lazy as fuck.

The world has moved on since then and while Flashback was barely acceptable for its day, right now it - and Another World - are ancient relics best forgotten.

It's just a platform game and by today's standards a somewhat mediocre one at that.

I disagree - I'd gladly pay for an updated copy of this (although not a huge amount). Maybe this is just the nostalgia talking though.

News Comments > Resident Evil 6 PC Specs
9. Re: Resident Evil 6 PC Specs Apr 3, 2013, 14:41 Parias

Darks wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 13:50:
Wallshadows wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 12:17:
Siygess wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 10:59:
Somewhere along the line Capcom decided to trade the bad camera angles for a third person camera, the creepy music for Explosions!!1! and kept the jump scares (and always to some degree, the bad controls). It's still the same sort of game in the same sort of universe with the same sort of atmosphere and the same sort of problems. It just gets harder to love it with each iteration

Second, co-op / AI buddy. This has been one of the big issues I have had since Zero and that lame character-swapping system but has become much worse. It defeats the purpose of Survival Horror in most cases.

Sorry, but some of us really enjoy Coop. that is one of the biggest selling points for me when I buy a game. If you donít like it, then donít buy it, itís that simple.

I have to agree - co-op was the selling point of Resident Evil 5 for me (the way it integrated so smoothly into the main campaign) and is the primary reason I still boot it up for an occasional playthrough with a friend to this day.

News Comments > Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks
18. Re: Torchlight II Patch Adds Editor; Steamworks Apr 2, 2013, 13:43 Parias

Optional nickname wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 10:21:
I wonder if I'm the only one asking this in the gaming world, but, what on earth do people get out of mods that can alter a game to such extent,

I mean, to people enjoy modding so that they can simply press X and have the whole 20 screens of monsters around them just vanish? Perhaps I am misunderstanding modding, and just think of it as a spoiler cheat cartridge.

You're definitely misunderstanding. Consider that the Team Fortress series started out as a mod for Quake.

News Comments > Hardware Debut Trailer
3. Re: Hardware Debut Trailer Mar 31, 2013, 20:53 Parias

I was incredibly excited for this until I read "persistent multiplayer game" -- is this not going to have a singleplayer storyline?  

News Comments > Guns of Icarus Online Adventure Mode Kickstarter
2. Re: Guns of Icarus Online Adventure Mode Kickstarter Mar 27, 2013, 00:47 Parias

Yup, agreed - I would really love this as a co-op game that I could just sit down with a small group of friends to enjoy during a LAN party.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
22. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 16:12 Parias

DangerDog wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 15:38:
Let's start with texture pop-up, very few games that used the engine properly dealt with that issue.

You really have to work hard to remove the feeling that you're playing a mod for Unreal Tournament 3 and way too many games just felt like lazy game developers recycling the included assets with the dev kit over and over again.

The physics in the engine always felt like a "good enough" check box feature and always tainted games in a bad way, most egregiously with anything trying to implement vehicles were just plain awful 90% of the time.

Those are some of my gripes, I can only think of a few games that overcame the deficiencies - Mirrors Edge for example and DICE replaced a lot of the subsystems included by default. Just replacing the lighting was a huge improvement.

That's all fair - I know what you mean about the texture streaming issues in particular, although it was never really an issue for me as I played most multiplatform UE3 games on my PC.

I think it's a bit extreme to say the engine "sucked" - it handled large outdoor environments very well and afforded a lot of games some very cool graphical and cinematic effects at good speeds. I can't disagree with the points outlined though.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
20. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 15:26 Parias

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 14:03:
Ue3 sucked so they better step up here.

What exactly sucked about it? Given the number of games that leveraged it, I thought it was working pretty well for it's generation.

News Comments > FEZ Coming to Steam
5. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 18, 2013, 21:54 Parias

ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 21:36:
Remember, the dev is the douche who said precious stuff as this. Now that his console incursion didn't bring him that much money he's back to PC gamers, hoping people forget how much of a douchenozzle he was.

Haven't forgotten. I'll still try this anyways since this game sounds neat, but I'd almost be curious to read a retrospective covering what led to this ultimate about-face.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Adding Occulus Rift Support
2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Adding Occulus Rift Support Mar 18, 2013, 21:52 Parias

Neat. The more games I see adopting something for this, the happier I am.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 13, 2013, 17:48 Parias

Panickd wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 17:03:
Try "bad" because it's simply pointless to play. For a game that is supposed to be about a planetwide war between three disparate factions it typically boils down to bottleneck battles that everyone joins in on not because they really want their faction to take or hold a particular area but because it's the quickest way to rack up XP. Taking and holding any given area is totally pointless and adds absolutely nothing to the game. There isn't any real benefit to having your faction totally own the map and there isn't any real detriment to being pushed back to your faction's warpgate. There is no "endgame" so there is no real point to anything that happens in the game, ever.

Giving new players somewhere to go and learn is a good thing but it doesn't solve the major flaw in the design of the game. If they would put in an endgame that resets every time one faction "wins" it would go a long way toward making the game's players feel like what they were doing mattered.

That makes much more sense - thanks. Was sort of curious how much this game was worth diving into again (although the "Continent locking" thing in the post below yours sounds interesting).

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center
9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Adds VR Training Center Mar 13, 2013, 16:36 Parias

loomy wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 16:02:
this game is really, really bad. tribes 2 circa 2001 bad.

Is it actually irredeemably "bad" for legit reasons, or just to your personal disliking? Someone a few posts up would seem to disagree (imperfect, but still fun), so I'm (genuinely) curious why you conversely think the game is simply terrible.

(If you're going to slam on a game, try to be constructive about it at least so your post has some use)

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3: Awakened
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3: Awakened Mar 12, 2013, 15:38 Parias

I'm sort of confused by this as well. That said, I found co-op play in this to be fun as hell.. I might bite down the road when I can convince my friend to spend more money on this game.

Chronologically then I'm still a bit unclear, does this take place in the middle of the game's main campaign, or afterwards? I always feel awkward about beating a game, and then going "back" to play DLC that's supposed to take place in the middle of the plot. From the "left for dead" commentary though, it sounds like it'd take place after the main game.

News Comments > SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused
19. Re: SimCity Marketing Campaign Paused Mar 8, 2013, 17:27 Parias

This is beyond tragic - all they had to do was ship the game with an offline component and they could have avoided nearly all of this pain. Instead, they ended up with this.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider DLC on Xbox 360 This Month
9. Re: Tomb Raider DLC on Xbox 360 This Month Mar 7, 2013, 12:53 Parias

avianflu wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 09:54:
Let's further stomp that once notable franchise into the ground.

Hey now, this actually isn't too bad of a game - and unlike most franchises that literally do get stomped into the ground, they're actually trying to take it in a new direction. I say let them try.

(Although I won't comment on the multiplayer as I don't really have much interest there)

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
41. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 16:35 Parias

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:40:
Parias wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:08:
Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:27:
DX:HR was excellent and the rubbish boss fights were only 50% their fault, in that they didn't make them but they should have paid more attention. I didn't like the expansion but that's a relatively minor complaint.

Heh, that's a bit of an ironic stance.... are you aware that the expansion had what was considered a "fixed" approach to boss fights - you could approach that particular battle any way you wanted to, and even just knock the guy out instead of killing him if you wanted? It was one of the better points.

The boss fight in the expansion may have been better than those in the base game, but the expansion as a whole was extremely forgettable ... so forgettable, I don't actually remember a boss fight. I think there was one in a huge hanger which gave you much more freedom. That's good, but on the whole, the expansion wasn't special and when I play through DX:HR again, I'll probably skip it.

I suppose I can't completely disagree... what I hated the most as well was that it didn't even integrate properly into the main campaign, yet takes place squarely in the middle of the story. Meaning that either I play through the whole original game and then have to "mentally rewind" where I am in the plot to even attempt to immerse myself in the DLC, or guestimate ahead of time whereabouts in the plot I need to save, manually bomb out, and then launch into a completely separate executable.

I really don't understand why they couldn't just inject it in between level loads - it would've squeezed in perfectly with a few adjustments. I know from a technical standpoint they did some engine updates which made it inherently incompatible with the original game, but I don't feel it was worth it.

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
26. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 14:08 Parias

Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:27:
DX:HR was excellent and the rubbish boss fights were only 50% their fault, in that they didn't make them but they should have paid more attention. I didn't like the expansion but that's a relatively minor complaint.

Heh, that's a bit of an ironic stance.... are you aware that the expansion had what was considered a "fixed" approach to boss fights - you could approach that particular battle any way you wanted to, and even just knock the guy out instead of killing him if you wanted? It was one of the better points.

414 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo