Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 425 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Selling Well
15. Re: Metro: Last Light Selling Well Jun 3, 2013, 15:13 Parias

I absolutely agree with theyarecomingforyou - the STALKER series was a fun set of games that had great atmosphere - no doubt. I really enjoyed playing them, but calling the Metro series inferior by comparison isn't fair in my eyes. I actually enjoy Metro a lot more because it does a much better job at presenting it's plot, and the fact that it's a linear experience means they can present a much stronger and engaging story.

Again though, I enjoyed STALKER a lot too and found a different way to get immersed in it based on it's own strengths. Both games have their pros and cons, and I don't see why some people can't just enjoy both of them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mirror's Edge 2 Indications
13. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 Indications May 30, 2013, 15:39 Parias

vrok wrote on May 30, 2013, 12:02:
Expect coop multiplayer.

I hope - that'd be bloody awesome.

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Trailer
3. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Trailer May 30, 2013, 01:47 Parias

Wow, I like how they kept the perfect Homeworld feel out of the UI, even though it's a ground-RTS game now.

But... I agree, if it's not going to have any kind of singleplayer content and is just focused on competitive only, I'll be really disappointed.

Edit: OK wait, what? Now I'm confused.

"We are not making a ‘social strategy game’. We’re making an RTS with both single-player and multi-player. There is gameplay on a planetary scale – meaning big maps and a big world to explore – and you have the ability to do that with friends. We’re eager to fix the misconception."

News Comments > X3: Albion Prelude 3.0 - Shady Business Released
9. Re: X3: Albion Prelude 3.0 - Shady Business Released May 29, 2013, 02:02 Parias

Illumin wrote on May 28, 2013, 23:42:
Rebirth just better come out before Star Citizen. Once Star Citizen is out Rebirth will be put on the back burner of games to buy for a long time.

Especially since I heard they're taking pilotable capital ships out of Rebirth. That's been my favorite component of the X series so far =\

News Comments > Hellraid Details
5. Re: Hellraid Details May 28, 2013, 16:59 Parias

Panickd wrote on May 28, 2013, 16:32:
Even in "true" co-op games like the Borderlands series everyone ends up competing to get the best weapons.

Not from where I sit - we're always gracious about what we pick up and tend to coordinate pretty carefully what kind of weapons each player wants to use so we're not doubling-up, trading weapons around as needed.

I only play with a specific circle of friends however - co-op with random strangers just feels like the wrong way to do it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 28, 2013, 13:17 Parias

Oh man, that 3dfx article was super-nostalgic. I think I actually still have my Voodoo 5 kicking around somewhere....  

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Adds Singleplayer
9. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Adds Singleplayer May 27, 2013, 13:34 Parias

Shataan wrote on May 27, 2013, 13:17:
"but Heavy Gear for me has always been as much about tactics as anything else."

Really? I well remember HG 2. And back in the day, it was mostly all about Dueling. But we approached as a Squad more or less, chose who we`d each duel with based on proximity, and then if we won, we`d quickly go help a team mate.

If that is tactical, it was really simplified tactics imo.

Wasn't the singleplayer campaign all about tactics though? They even had a bunch of defined ROE parameters for your team mates and a positioning map to let you deploy your squad mates, set up ambushes and so on - not to mention the whole stealth component.

I know with the actual scripting of the later singleplayer missions the concept fell apart a bit, but the framework was definitely there for some of the campaign.

News Comments > Call of Juarez: Gunslinger FOV Tweaking Coming
8. Re: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger FOV Tweaking Coming May 26, 2013, 03:58 Parias

Same here, this has never caused me any problems. Although I do hear this can have implications for some cases of motion sickness, so I guess I can understand how that would be a concern...  

News Comments > PC Destiny Talk
18. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 14:34 Parias

Fair points, thanks. I personally disagree about Halo not being fun, but that's also probably because I'm just a sucker for anything in a space / sci-fi setting and is purely my own POV. I can understand your viewpoint though and where you're coming from about the problem with consoles in general.  

News Comments > PC Destiny Talk
14. Re: PC Destiny Talk May 24, 2013, 13:45 Parias

I'm confused - what's so hard about playing FPS games on a console controller? Yes, it's not as responsive as a keyboard / mouse combo, but the console games are generally built around the controller concept so it balances out. Declaring them unplayable sounds like a bit of an exaggeration.

Don't get me wrong - I'm also a dominant PC gamer first and foremost (and I lean heavily into the sim market no less - I've got enough licensed DCS games and joysticks on my shelf to prove it) and I'd love to see games like Destiny come out on PC. But I also don't mind booting up my Xbox or PS3 every now and then for a fun romp through the singleplayer campaigns of Halo or the Metal Gear games just because I enjoy the production values, sci-fi storylines and co-op play (I don't really bother with the competitive multiplayer). A lot of console FPS games are hardly revolutionary, but games like Halo sell massive numbers for a good reason - I don't understand where the hate is coming from?

(I'm not trolling or trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just genuinely unclear on the line of logic)

News Comments > Atari Fire Sale
13. Re: Atari Fire Sale May 23, 2013, 11:05 Parias

I wonder what'll happen to the Independence War franchise? I'm not even sure who owns it right now... I'm still holding out vague hope for a third game.  

News Comments > Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for PCs
25. Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for PCs May 17, 2013, 18:17 Parias

Quinn wrote on May 17, 2013, 15:17:
More to the point is this: Would this be like dropping into a TV-show in the last couple of episodes, knowing fuck-all characters and having no idea what's going on? I mean, I haven't played a single Metal Gear because they were always console titles. Why is this one coming to PC? I'm sincerely happy for the people who couldn't wait for this to happen, though, if there are any?

Playing the prior games isn't required as only a couple of the old characters really appear, but helps with understanding and appreciation of the goofy plot at large. The gameplay is pretty different though and the game pretty much stands on it's own plot-wise.

And MGS1 and 2 both came to PC - although MGS4 (which is the one this game most closely relates to) is still a PS3-only title.

News Comments > Ride to Hell: Route 666 Trailer
1. Re: Ride to Hell: Route 666 Trailer May 17, 2013, 09:45 Parias

So basically, this is the motorcycle combat mini-game from Full Throttle made into a full-fledged game?

Awesome.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Thunder Wolves
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2013, 12:15 Parias

Is the co-op in this any good? It's the only reason this looks interesting... but I'm curious if they support LAN play or anything. I'll pass if it's just local / hotseat only.  

News Comments > Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround
5. Re: Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround May 16, 2013, 11:04 Parias

Frijoles wrote on May 16, 2013, 10:15:
The AI in this one aren't as good as I had hoped. There was one instance where I walked around a corner and shot a light out without noticing a guard sitting right next to me. He didn't even move (gun isn't silenced and I wasn't sneaking). Still fun though stealthing around and slaughtering the room.

I'm wondering about that. On the one hand, I'm really happy that the stealth dynamics in this game are a lot more forgiving - I found the process of sneaking around to be a lot more frustrating in the previous game.

On the other hand, it almost seems to be TOO forgiving sometimes. But I recognize this sort of thing can be a hard line to tread in FPS games, and I'm glad they favored on the side of making it easier rather than harder.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround
2. Re: Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround May 16, 2013, 09:42 Parias

I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. There's a lot of cool little touches, and finding it to be a pretty fun scripted adventure overall.

Playing the original will give you a much better appreciation for the sequel - there's a lot of throw-backs to the original game.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light HUD "Fix" Inbound
42. Re: Metro: Last Light HUD May 15, 2013, 16:59 Parias

TheEmissary wrote on May 15, 2013, 16:56:
The response to the FOV question by the dev is a cop-out because all they would had to do was put a disclaimer in the ini file or in the menu saying it could affect the performance. Let people tailor the performance for their own systems.

Well, there's the bit about how changing the FOV will break a lot of the first person animation sequences in the game too (i.e. seeing through your own arms, etc), but I agree - this should have been included with the release with a disclaimer.

At least they recognize the issue and are working to add the functionality now though.

News Comments > Diablo III Turning One
32. Re: Diablo III Turning One May 14, 2013, 15:06 Parias

ItBurn wrote on May 14, 2013, 13:41:
Sacred 2 was a pile of poop. That's my opinion anyway.

S2 got pretty repetitive, but it did pull in a few hilarious "WTF" points for some of the crazy stuff you could equip on your characters:

http://tinyurl.com/ceq96k8

Made for hilarious fun in multiplayer.

News Comments > Hawken Patch & Trailer
3. Re: Hawken Patch & Trailer May 12, 2013, 13:19 Parias

Quboid wrote on May 12, 2013, 12:10:
I got a £33.33 gift code with my new graphics card so I tried it out. It seemed pretty boring and unimaginative but if you're missing mech combat, you could do worse.

Yeah, Hawken has a few decent points to it, but if you really want something that feels like a giant robot game (rather than just a fast-paced FPS button-masher) you might want to give Mechwarrior Online a spin instead where they do the "Mech" thing a lot better (IMHO). Mind you, that has it's own share of quirks...

News Comments > Saints Row 4 Meet the President Trailer
8. Re: Saints Row 4 Meet the President Trailer May 7, 2013, 14:37 Parias

SpectralMeat wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:20:
nin wrote on May 7, 2013, 14:15:
I've never played any of the previous ones

Not even 3? Man, you missed out! Grab it on the next steam sale, it's a fuckin blast!

Can't wait for 4!

No not even 3. That tank mission was the only thing that looked kind of remotely interesting to me. I might check it out if the price will be right on the next sale.

Bear in mind as well that this is one of the few open-world games that has full campaign co-op. Adding a friend makes the game even more of a total blast to play.

425 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo