Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 418 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
36. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 15:06 Parias

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 14:46:
As much as I'm looking forward to this game I think they rushed this module out. Approaching the ladder caused all the keyboard controls to go funky and when I eventually climbed the second ladder I started floating around and could move through walls. That and performance is terrible.

Still, at least it proves that work is actually being done on the game and it's not all fancy videos.

You completely missed the point of this release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 14:19 Parias

Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 13:53:
I am also aware of their mod promises. I have not seen anything that leads me to believe that it extends to full length single player campaigns, just assets like gear, ships, etc.

I actually don't think it's going to be that hard - the current game data format is VERY open... you can drill right down to the XML files which define how the game fundamentally functions in a lot of respects, and people have even literally dragged-and-dropped a lot of the asset files into the Cryengine 3 editor without much effort. But admittedly we don't have any visibility yet into what kind of data format their final mission / campaign structures will use... only some vague promises of moddability (to the extent that I'm even having trouble finding detailed posts about it off-hand). We'll have to see how it goes.

22. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 13:45 Parias

Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 12:48:
To me, what would ultimately be very cool is if they offered up single player modules that you could download and play. Perhaps even player created scenarios. If that were to happen however I think it would be very far down the road after the game is already a proven success. I also think any RSI produced modules would probably cost money.

A detailed singleplayer campaign (the "Squadron 42") component was already promised in the initial reveal trailer - although it has been a long time since that footage was put out, and the team has been relatively quiet about it (aside from some occasional comments in their "Wingman's Hangar" series and a few ask the developer threads). I actually share a few of your concerns as well that the singleplayer component might not end up being very deep, but there have been some definite comments from the developers saying the opposite (although it sounds like it'll still be a linear experience).

The game is also supposed to be very mod-friendly, so you could put in as much custom content as you wanted to (for your own private servers of course). In fact, the game data files are exposed even in this basic hangar app - guides have already been posted on how you can swap your ship in the hangar for one you don't actually own yet simply by renaming a couple of files since it's all just basic Cryengine 3 stuff.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Lost Planet 3
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lost Planet 3 Aug 28, 2013, 01:33 Parias

El Pit wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 23:57:
57/100 @ metacritic... Doesn't sound like a big hit.

Aside from this being "lol metacritic", a score like that genuinely baffles me - I mean, this has a few flaws and isn't going to be a blockbuster hit, but this also doesn't feel like a BAD game.

Maybe I'm just biased because I love anything involving giant robots so much.. I don't know. I'm just surprised to see this getting bashed as much as it is. I'm actually finding it to be a lot of fun.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2013, 02:50.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Lost Planet 3
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lost Planet 3 Aug 27, 2013, 23:37 Parias

I'm actually enjoying this a lot. I was expecting a linear shoot-em-up but the game's actually quite a bit more open-ended then I thought it would be. They also took a WAY different approach to the plot and dialogue - the story is actually comprehensible now. I'm crushed by the lack of co-op play (which basically sold Lost Planet 2), but the singleplayer component is way better.

I like the rig mechanic too - I'm sort of baffled at why you need to be nearby your rig get an ammo counter (the other things I can understand, but why ammo?), but they otherwise got the giant robot feel down just right for my liking.

Edit: Just realized it's only for detailed ammo tracking - even when you're away from your rig, a (small) gauge on your crosshair still shows your overall ammo, so there's that.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2013, 01:30.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 22, 2013, 22:38 Parias

Ditto - no more reason to put it off. Not at this pricing.

I never tried the Uprising expansion for Red Alert 3.. was it any good? I skipped over it because I heard it didn't have the campaign co-op play (which was what really sold me on the RA3 core game).

News Comments > Command & Conquer Getting Story-Driven Missions
6. Re: Command & Conquer Getting Story-Driven Missions Aug 20, 2013, 17:33 Parias

MattyC wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 15:16:
Riker wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 14:24:
although RA3 was pretty darn fun.

Really? I didn't care for it all that much. It wasn't awful or anything, but I would rate 2 much higher.

RA3 was great purely for the co-op nature of the campaign, and the hilarious cutscenes. I agree that RA2 offered a superior experience overall, but RA3's full campaign co-op is what's kept me coming back to it time and time again.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Aug 19, 2013, 22:47 Parias

If you haven't played Evil Genius yet, you really should. It's basically Dungeon Keeper meets Austin Powers.  

News Comments > 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned
16. Re: 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned Aug 19, 2013, 16:14 Parias

Wildone wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 15:02:
Good thing bcus XRebirth and Star Citizen would rape that game.

This is a horrible post and you should feel bad.

Why can't we enjoy all three games? This mentality is why I loathe the CoD/Halo communities.

News Comments > X Rebirth Preorders
37. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:40 Parias

ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 13:35:
The problem with multiplayer is that it's more work... More work on multiplayer means less features. Also, making a game work in multiplayer can negatively affect the gameplay and prevent some features. I for one think that single player games should stay single player and multiplayer games should stay multiplayer.

Now this I can understand - thank you. Doesn't stop me from wishing for it though... I would easily buy one of the X games twice if it meant I could play co-operatively with a friend.

30. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 13:17 Parias

Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:57:
The reason the community is against multiplayer is that X is very much a game about ownership. A lot of players build massive complexes in space that take dozens, if not hundreds, of hours to set up and get their trade routes optimized.

Playing mp would mean some shitheel can come into your universe and blow up all your shit.

I wouldn't want to play online against random pubbies - I'm just talking about putting private LAN play into the game so we can play it when I take my PC over to my buddy's place every weekend. We've have more than enough to do co-operatively in an NPC-filled universe. Is this really the main reason the community is so against the concept?

28. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 12:53 Parias

Gadzooks wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:39:
I think this could be the X game Ive been waiting for... glad its finally here. The only thing it seems to be missing is the ability to play co-op.

Yeah - for some bizarre reason the community is vehemently against any kind of multiplayer in the X-Universe games. Not sure why as being able to team up with a friend in the prior games would have been totally awesome. You wouldn't have to change much of the gameplay - just give me and my friend the same persistent universe to tromp around in so I could sit on the bridge of my capital ship and bark orders while my friend launches in a fighter wing and zips around, or things like that...

Sigh, guess I'll have to wait until Star Citizen.

25. Re: X Rebirth Preorders Aug 19, 2013, 12:22 Parias

Drayth wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 12:11:
I was a little dissapointed to follow a freighter through a jump gate and not see it on the other side, so some things are being spawned on the fly...

Really? It should be tracking them between sectors - each NPC ship should be persistent. Unless that was a limitation of the first X game I've forgotten about.

News Comments > 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned
7. Re: 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned Aug 19, 2013, 11:07 Parias

Disappointing to hear - I was really looking forward to giving this a spin.  

News Comments > Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer
5. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 15:14 Parias

Fletch wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 14:50:
Just how do zombies become zombies?

Maybe they're going with Walking Dead mentality?

News Comments > GTA Online Trailer
31. Re: GTA Online Trailer Aug 15, 2013, 19:00 Parias

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 18:35:
One thing to be leery about is that the Max Payne 3 MP was/is horrid......

Horrid in a technical sense, or a gameplay sense?

News Comments > Tropico 5 Announced
12. Re: Tropico 5 Announced Aug 15, 2013, 11:46 Parias

Holy crap, co-op play? I'll definitely give this a spin.  

News Comments > Matt Hooper Joins Oculus VR
32. Re: Matt Hooper Joins Oculus VR Aug 9, 2013, 18:00 Parias

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 03:40:
You can't compare OR to a graphics card.

A better comparison would be trackIR. When I got my trackIR 5 years ago I thought it was amazing. But eventually I stopped using it because..I had to wear a cap to play games..it made movement slower etc. Became bit of a chore. I will always acknowledge how good trackIR is, but to be honest I hardly actually used it.

Do you not play many flight sims? I find DCS: A-10 basically unplayable without my TrackIR (now that I've spent enough time with it).

News Comments > Strife Announced
29. Re: Strife Announced Aug 9, 2013, 15:22 Parias

Necrophob wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 09:37:
Ant wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 09:10:
I remember old Strife FPS game, but I didn't like it.

I didn't like the demo either. It felt more like a Doom mod to me. But maybe I just wasn't ready for rpg in my fps? Any of the opengl doom ports support Strife?

Apparently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnoux4JMQ

News Comments > Strife Announced
9. Re: Strife Announced Aug 8, 2013, 23:00 Parias

Beamer wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 20:07:
Aero wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 20:06:
Wasn't their an FPS in development way back when (mid nineties) that was going to be called "Strife?" Not that this has anything to do with anything here, but the name triggered that memory and I can't place it.

Doom engine based. It was released. It may or may not have had RPG elements. No one bought it.

If by "No one" you mean "people who enjoyed awesome games".

Came into this thread expecting a remake of the classic Strife FPS and was disappointed. =\ Not that I lose sleep thinking the world NEEDS such a thing, but.... I was expecting something new sharing the same name to be more than a MOBA.

418 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo