Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 414 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Launches
16. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 16:20 Parias

Endo wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 16:02:
JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 14:45:
I played the older MechWarrior games long ago, so was curious about this one. However, after watching numerous videos, it looks to be incredibly repetitive. Are you not just doing the same thing over and over again indefinitely?

Yes. And apparently with the changes made throughout the last few months, only sniping builds are viable now. So you're REALLY just doing the same thing over and over indefinitely.

I don't know - I've had plenty of fun loading out a Spider with a flamer and TAG laser, dancing around blinding enemy pilots to disorient / piss them off like a jackass while streams of missiles keep flying into them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stargunner Free Release
4. Re: Stargunner Free Release Sep 13, 2013, 15:18 Parias

DOSBox works just as well under Windows 7 as it does under XP (if not better) in my experience.  

News Comments > Stargunner Free Release
2. Re: Stargunner Free Release Sep 13, 2013, 11:54 Parias

Agreed, this game was pretty awesome. This is excellent news.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Arma III
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 12, 2013, 12:37 Parias

Yeah - I'm really hoping the singleplayer campaign turns out better than Arma2's did. I know that Operation: Arrowhead turned out pretty good though.

The new campaign isn't going to have co-op play though, is it? That's a bummer - If the game's supposed to be mod-friendly, I wonder how hard it'll be to crack open the missions and add co-op support to them?

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
36. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:36 Parias

Panickd wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:41:
The fact that it sold for so little tells you how much no one cares about yet another spaceship strategy game.

I care. =\

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Early Access
7. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Early Access Sep 7, 2013, 12:18 Parias

Slashman wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 09:17:
Darks wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 01:34:
Tired of games like this that come out and offer no Coop. Wasted opportunity!!

I'm tired of the shallow mindset that multiplayer is the only thing that makes a game worthwhile.

I'm always happy when a developer has enough self-control not to put themselves in over their heads. Trying to add a component that doesn't mesh well with their games just so they can tick a co-op or multiplayer checkbox, is stupid.

I sort of agree. There are a ton of space games out there that would be insanely awesome with co-op play (looking at you, X franchise...). However, the entire game itself should certainly not be considered worthless if co-op play is not included.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Total War: ROME II
21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Total War: ROME II Sep 3, 2013, 17:23 Parias

InBlack wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 17:10:
Bought it on GMG for a 20something percent discount. Steam code. So far I cant get past the first tutorial mission (lol) It appears to be bugged, or Im not getting something, when I make it across the ford the game keeps telling me that I need to assist the city garrison but the two forces arent even engaged in combat. Then the mission suddenly ends in failure. Weird.

Tried the Campaign map and so far have only been looking at tabs. Its been such a long time since Ive given any time to this type of game. I think the last Total War game I played was Medieval. So far my impression of Rome II is rather, ehm did I just spend money on this? It feels somehow rather lackluster, but it sure is pretty to look at. Im going to give it a whole lotta more time tomorrow. I kinda remember the Rome I and Medieval to be much more fun.

Bear in mind that if it's anything like Shogun 2, all of the effort will be worth it when you can eventually end up with battles like this.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Total War: ROME II
18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Total War: ROME II Sep 3, 2013, 16:00 Parias

This game has the campaign co-op mode that Shogun 2 did, right?  

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2013, 22:20 Parias

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 21:11:
Not really related to the topic, but when I hear anything about this game I can't help but remember how excited I was when they released that incredible video some years back. And then how utterly deflated I felt when it was later announced that it was going to be a F2P multiplayer game.

Are you thinking of this one? Me too =\

News Comments > DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access
7. Re: DCS: UH-1H Huey Early Access Sep 2, 2013, 18:04 Parias

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 17:32:
Whatever Tom, that doesn't make my opinion invalid. I'm sure this will beat Battlefield Vietnam's 12 million sales, right? Jackass!

What's your point then - that this game isn't fun and worth playing at all because of Battlefield: Vietnam?

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
31. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 21:10 Parias

Aero wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 20:55:
Answering a FAQ question (and I know for a fact this is indeed a frequently asked question) such as "What kind of single player experience will Star Citizen provide?" would go a long ways.

Perhaps it does just go without saying, but I do see quite a bit of doubt out there that could so easily be cleared up and potentially bring more backers (I'd go a little further if I knew there was more there for me than Squadron 42).

That's fair. I could've sworn I saw a ton of this information on the site at one point in an official, clear capacity, but it seems ever since the redesign a lot of it is either obfuscated or isn't present at all (the FAQ referenced in my link above @ PC Gamer actually goes to a 404 error I'm now noticing). A lot of this information has been presented in bits and pieces over the months from their various video casts and news updates, but they've fallen behind in actually consolidating it into their central FAQ / "about the game" pages.

I'm not really inclined to think this means there's something fishy going on (since I know they've made these promises and backing out on them would piss off a ton of their fanbase) but I agree there's an issue with how this information is being officially presented. I'll ask about it.

Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 21:03:
They've been very evasive from day one. You can't get a straight answer from them.

I disagree with this, but only because I've seen so many of the interviews, webcasts, and public events where fans have asked these sorts of questions to the developers point-blank and have gotten clear answers. I haven't seen evidence of them being "evasive" about anything - the problem is just that a lot of these answers are spread out across dozens of videos rather than being clearly put together on their site.

I understand the skepticism, but it's not like they aren't trying at all.

28. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 20:30 Parias

Aero wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 19:47:
I'd be happy (enough) with connecting to a central server that manages my assets, but then puts me in my own local instance of the universe. They get to keep their microtransaction thing, I get the SP sandbox space-sim I've wanted.

If, in the end, all I really get out of is the Squadron 42 campaign, that will be worth what I put in, but the overall architecture of the game still seems as nebulous now as it did back when it was announced. I can appreciate that it's in flux, but I still see a lot of people claiming you will be able to host a private offline version of the sandbox universe, which never seemed likely. Sometimes it seems like there are thousand salesmen trying to sell me on a thousand different variations of the "dream space sim." I see the same thing with a number of other "community participation" development projects.

I don't have the time or inclination to follow every announcement and bit of news (I don't want to be spent on it before its done), but I would really like a description of what they have in mind for the game breaking it down to its fundamentals and without the spin. There is far too much of the latter. It can make people dizzy.

Then just read this:

When it comes to mods, the FAQ stresses how open to modding the game will be:

“Players will be given full control of their game! When operating private servers, players will be able and encouraged to mod the game. It doesn’t stop there, though: we hope to institute a ‘mod approval’ process that will allow the best of the best player created ships and other additions to be integrated into the central persistent world as well.”

These aren't just random claims - private servers will be supported and is one of the core bits of their design philosophy. It's been officially stated you'll get the singleplayer offline component, your own private servers, and the Persistent Universe.

18. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 16:11 Parias

Chris Roberts has posted more information beyond what's in the initial quote that is probably worth a read:

I was disappointed to see so many people feeling that we were trying to gouge people or do a money grab. I thought I had been very clear in my post yesterday that everything was optional and only should be done with the intent of supporting the game financially as opposed to something that was required. The whole team is incredibly grateful for all the incredible support we’ve received but as far as we’re concerned anything beyond the most basic pledge is optional and should be done to support the game’s development and not because you feel like you have to.

I do agree that pricing structure feels off – part of that is the problem of a blend of real world prices (cosmetic items to show support had been established at $5) and the in-game prices we need to manage. One of the other things we have been focusing on is the idea that the pledge or add on ship you opt for now should be cheaper in real money terms than its equivalent in UEC when the game is live, so the few weapons have been priced to our best guess as to what these should be relative to the actual in-game costs of a ship once the game is live. This leads to a dichotomy in value – of course a poster should be a lot less than a laser gun! It also doesn’t help that we’ve established an exchange of 1000 UEC to $1. 5000 UEC for a poster just sounds a lot more than $5! I am inclined to halve the prices in the Voyager Direct Store, with some of the smaller flair pieces, like posters getting a reduction even beyond this.

In addition there’s been quite a few complaints about having to “pay to test”. Which absolutely was not the intention! From a testing perspective what everyone can do now with their basic hangar (and don’t forget you can move items around between ships now) we have everything we need on the testing front. There is no need to buy a poster to help test it. The real testing will happen when you can earn UEC in-game and you then buy all these items. But we appreciate everyone’s eagerness to help out, so I’m investigating the difficulty of implementing “TEST UEC” now rather than waiting for the dogfighting module – the idea would be that everyone would get a certain amount of TEST UEC at different periods and could use the credits to buy items that would exist for a day in your hangar to check them out, try them on your various ships, walls and so on. This is doable but does require some significant work on the web side, so if we take this route it will be a little while before it can be implemented. We had originally planned this for the dogfighting module (as it is useful for people to try different load outs in balancing) but we can move up the schedule if enough people think it’s important.

In the spirit of community involvement and discussion and as a big thank you for reaching $17M I think the best thing to do is to give everyone a further 5,000 UEC and let you voice your opinion on some of the proposed solutions (and know that if you vote to reduce the Voyager Direct prices we will credit back the difference in UEC to people’s accounts for people that have already spent UEC)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 15:18 Parias

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 13:46:
At least some people wised up and avoided Saints Row IV. Horrible game.

What's so horrible about it? I'm having a hilarious co-op adventure with my friend in it so far.

I'm actually a bit saddened Lost Planet 3 didn't make this list; I just beat it and it's a surprisingly fun game. There are one or two issues, but the singleplayer component is WAY better than any of it's predecessors - they took a whole new approach to it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
9. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 16:06 Parias

Apparently they've noticed the backlash regarding this:

Hey guys - long story short, we hear you. The VD store ended up coming across pretty much exactly the opposite way we wanted. We're working out a plan right now to make this right and I will have more for you as soon as possible.

And:

We should have something later today at least. And in the meantime I will be at a booth at DragonCon and anyone is welcome to come tell me what they think about the store in person

I promise the goal was not to beg for extra money, and hopefully we will be able to prove that!

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
46. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 17:56 Parias

DeathMan20 wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 15:06:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 14:38:
DeathMan20 wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 14:26:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 13:58:
Nope I was wrong I do not have the 300i as I thought. Only have the basic ship.
Anyways speaking of sexy ships, take a look at this beast: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/products/constellation

Price tag is a bit over the top for my taste though

That it is, but really it looks better in game. Got one myself. Since its going to be a MMO style with no subscription I could justify going a little overboard considering what I spent on subscription fee's in the past.
I bet, it looks like a beast in that picture.

Here it is in the Crytech SDK
http://i.imgur.com/6YYnmBg.jpg

The Freelancer is looking pretty awesome too:
http://i.imgur.com/JxOwhES.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n8uaug2.jpg

36. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 15:06 Parias

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 14:46:
As much as I'm looking forward to this game I think they rushed this module out. Approaching the ladder caused all the keyboard controls to go funky and when I eventually climbed the second ladder I started floating around and could move through walls. That and performance is terrible.

Still, at least it proves that work is actually being done on the game and it's not all fancy videos.

You completely missed the point of this release.

25. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 14:19 Parias

Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 13:53:
I am also aware of their mod promises. I have not seen anything that leads me to believe that it extends to full length single player campaigns, just assets like gear, ships, etc.

I actually don't think it's going to be that hard - the current game data format is VERY open... you can drill right down to the XML files which define how the game fundamentally functions in a lot of respects, and people have even literally dragged-and-dropped a lot of the asset files into the Cryengine 3 editor without much effort. But admittedly we don't have any visibility yet into what kind of data format their final mission / campaign structures will use... only some vague promises of moddability (to the extent that I'm even having trouble finding detailed posts about it off-hand). We'll have to see how it goes.

22. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 13:45 Parias

Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 12:48:
To me, what would ultimately be very cool is if they offered up single player modules that you could download and play. Perhaps even player created scenarios. If that were to happen however I think it would be very far down the road after the game is already a proven success. I also think any RSI produced modules would probably cost money.

A detailed singleplayer campaign (the "Squadron 42") component was already promised in the initial reveal trailer - although it has been a long time since that footage was put out, and the team has been relatively quiet about it (aside from some occasional comments in their "Wingman's Hangar" series and a few ask the developer threads). I actually share a few of your concerns as well that the singleplayer component might not end up being very deep, but there have been some definite comments from the developers saying the opposite (although it sounds like it'll still be a linear experience).

The game is also supposed to be very mod-friendly, so you could put in as much custom content as you wanted to (for your own private servers of course). In fact, the game data files are exposed even in this basic hangar app - guides have already been posted on how you can swap your ship in the hangar for one you don't actually own yet simply by renaming a couple of files since it's all just basic Cryengine 3 stuff.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Lost Planet 3
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lost Planet 3 Aug 28, 2013, 01:33 Parias

El Pit wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 23:57:
57/100 @ metacritic... Doesn't sound like a big hit.

Aside from this being "lol metacritic", a score like that genuinely baffles me - I mean, this has a few flaws and isn't going to be a blockbuster hit, but this also doesn't feel like a BAD game.

Maybe I'm just biased because I love anything involving giant robots so much.. I don't know. I'm just surprised to see this getting bashed as much as it is. I'm actually finding it to be a lot of fun.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2013, 02:50.

414 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo