Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 406 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com
27. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 21, 2013, 21:12 Parias

Prez wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 17:15:
Wing Commander Saga looks amazing, (kudos to the dev team!) but judging from the screenshots on the website it looks as though there is no cockpit view. I would really miss the cockpit view - it just wouldn't feel like Wing Commander to me without it.

Freespace 2 actually does support 3D cockpits now as well, so technically this would be possible to implement. I think they just need the development resources to do so.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com
8. Re: Entire Wing Commander Series Now on GOG.com Nov 21, 2013, 11:47 Parias

InBlack wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 10:38:
Im tempted with Prophecy, but isnt there basically a free standalone total conversion MOD for Freespace2 that does the same thing and looks much much better?

It's based around a different story though, isn't it? I'd honestly play through both if you want the complete Wing Commander experience since these games are all about story. From my perspective, I don't think I can see them as the same thing as all just because they offer pretty diverse experiences.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2013, 11:55.

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
37. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 20:25 Parias

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 19:58:
bigspender wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 18:23:
So the remake was pretty damn cool - but its been given away for free for like a year - what makes them think anyone is going to pay for it now?
Well, I intend to buy it and several other people have indicated the same. Don't forget that a lot of people won't even know about it or aren't comfortable installing mods

It's not really a mod though - isn't it a totally standalone product with it's own installer? You pretty much just hit "Go" to make it run.

34. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 17:08 Parias

ItBurn wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 16:59:
If I was going to tell someone to play Half-Life for the first time, this is what I'd give him. The old game just doesn't hold up to our modern sensibilities.

Unless you enjoy it to the vocals of Freeman's Mind.

12. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 11:46 Parias

InBlack wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:26:
Not really interested. I played the HL1 campaign to death, I think I could do it blindfolded.

This isn't really the same thing - the maps were completely redone from scratch and a lot of the levels are actually quite different (fundamentally similar concept and architecture, but implemented differently enough to be interesting). The voice acting and character models are essentially original too.

It's actually quite well done; there's a reason why it's considered so popular.

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:53:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:39:
Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:21:
Thanks for nothing - literally - Valve.
Nothing? They're letting a mod team profit from their IP and giving them improved access to the Source engine. That's something that very few developers / publishers would ever do.

Personally I think this is great news. They deserve something for all of their hard work and hopefully this funding will allow them to continue with Xen and then move onto the Half-Life expansions. Black Mesa was excellent and I'm surprised that Valve hasn't brought them onboard to work on HL3. I'll be purchasing it to show my support.

Whilst super for them, it means sweet FA to me and many others who really wanted to see HL3 instead of a remake of a 15 year old game we can all play blindfolded made with an outdated engine - and they're charging for it. Knock yourself out however.

I don't follow your logic - how would this fan effort affect HL3 in any way whatsoever?

News Comments > Half-Life Anniversary
28. Re: Half-Life Anniversary Nov 19, 2013, 22:42 Parias

Taskeen wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 22:19:
I'm not sure who to blame for there being no amazing new SW Flight Sim in this day in age, with all the new tech that is available - LucasArts head exec's or publishers thinking SW Space Sim wouldn't sell anymore.

It's not exactly a Star Wars game, but "why doesn't anybody make good space sims anymore" is basically the underlying mentality for Star Citizen (if it ever comes out).

News Comments > New Studio to Resume Command & Conquer Development
11. Re: New Studio to Resume Command & Conquer Development Nov 19, 2013, 17:49 Parias

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 14:45:
Guess I'm in the minority here, but screw the Company of Command and Conquer shit. Big maps, tiberium mining and base building. All built around a single player campaign, with the ability to play multiplayer against people or AI. Make it purdy, put in destructible environments and we've got a game EA will never make.

Not entirely the minority - this is what I want as well. I'd actually like something in a similar vein to Red Alert 3 because it had a full co-op capable singleplayer campaign, goofy live-action cutscenes, and in general was fun as hell.

This online-only competitive stuff doesn't interest me at all.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall (Berlin) in January
6. Re: Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall (Berlin) in January Nov 19, 2013, 13:23 Parias

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 11:16:
Player crafted modules would have to implement it into the module. As far as I can tell, it's a module specific thing that has to be actively put in there.

I'm curious about the technicalities of this though - is it as simple as specifying a flag like "CanSaveAnywhere = Yes" (in which case, why not make it an engine-default), or do you actually have to alter the entire logic structure of your module to make this actually function?

Sounds a bit unusual for something that's normally a core game engine function rather than something modders need to specifically design around.

News Comments > Lunar Flight Occulus Rift Support Released
2. Re: Lunar Flight Occulus Rift Support Released Nov 15, 2013, 11:12 Parias

Are you aware that KSP actually does have multiplayer now?

http://tinyurl.com/l2rxhan

(And agreed - this does look pretty awesome)

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 13, 2013, 17:51 Parias

Yup - Adobe's updater will generally try to shovel it in there unless you hit the tickbox to opt-out.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 8, 2013, 18:15 Parias

Still not sure if I get your logic though, nor understand how this would impact the game experience negatively.

The game will have a singleplayer campaign and the ability to host your own private server instances - if desired, you'll never have to interact with the "Persistent Universe" portion at all.

Additionally, the MMO portion of the game that these purchases apply to involve large-scale, NPC-driven universes. The game is not exclusively driven towards combat. If you step into the persistent universe with a starting ship while player X starts off with a $1200 Corvette, what does it matter - how does this affect you? You might not ever see the guy, and if he DOES use his investment to go on a murderous rampage, there will be consequences and he'd basically have to live in low-security space just to avoid getting shot up by the authorities.

This isn't like other P2W games which are completely oriented around instanced arena combat; just because some other random player starts with a more expensive ship than you does not mean you're going to have a terrible gameplay experience - in all likelyhood it won't even impact you at all.

This is to say nothing of the actual ship balancing - the super-expensive ships are also going to be slow, ponderous, and expensive to maintain in the game (particularly to equip them properly and keep them crewed). They're not just handing you the keys to a magical win button, or giving you golden ammo that does more damage or something.

I guess if you're that determined to see only bad in this game, there's not much I can say to change your mind - but I'll continue to insist that you're misunderstanding the point, and that you're slamming a game that looks legitimately-promising for the wrong reasons.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2013, 18:22.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 8, 2013, 17:47 Parias

Julio wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 17:12:
I'm not buying into the hype. Perhaps because all I care about is a good single player experience. If Squadron 42 actually turns out to be good, I'll get it if its cheap enough. So far the pay-to-win philosophy makes it not worth investing in for me.

I don't believe it's an intentional scam. Just an extreme pay-to-win game.

The game is not pay-to-win.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion: Stellar Phenomena DLC
5. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion: Stellar Phenomena DLC Nov 8, 2013, 09:58 Parias

Just to round out the haters, I actually find this game extremely enjoyable at LAN parties - I'll team up with a couple of other friends against the AI in a large universe, and have gigantic fleets flying around helping each other out and coordinating attacks.

I didn't like the combat engine in this game as much because it's all abstracted number-crunching (rather than being based on real-time projectile physics - i.e. you see a laser hit a target but the damage isn't actually tallied until the next "tick"), but I can understand why it was necessary given the scale of the battles.

I get enough enjoyment out of the game in multiplayer (even to this day) that I might actually take a look at this.

News Comments > Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans
52. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 17:11 Parias

Quinn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 16:39:
You don't play console games for the immersion (I NEVER leave my livingroom); it's much more arcadey.

I do. There are plenty of singleplayer / story-oriented console games to get immersed in which I have no problem counting up right alongside some of my favorite PC titles.

Although I also just hook my consoles into my computer monitor and play everything right off of my PC desk anyways. I also tend to stick to singleplayer stuff and never really bother with competitive multiplayer gaming.

But speaking as someone who plays on PC as well as all the major consoles, I can confidently say that it is indeed very possible to become immersed in console games. Not all of them are rubbish. And I've never had an issue with the controls for games built around them - I agree that trying to play something like Max Payne on a console would be a terrible experience, but other games like Halo are designed around it and work fine for me. If a game is multiplatform, I'll get it on PC every time - but there are numerous console-exclusive games out there which really aren't that bad.

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Delayed
9. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Delayed Oct 31, 2013, 21:19 Parias

This looks fantastic - I was a bit skeptical about how the combat model would play and if it'd end up somewhat awkward, but this actually looks like decent. The gameplay blends with the art style really well.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Oct 25, 2013, 11:14 Parias

MoonSpook wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 10:04:
nin wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 09:42:
Notes (and it pains me to point this out, as I love the game) - The PC version is missing:

Second screen functionality

I'm not sure about that. If you look at the new manual on page 2 It specifically mentions using "Intel software technology" to enable it on PC. Unfortunately it does buggerall to explain what that means, so I'm clueless as to how you implement it, unless it just means you can run the game on one monitor and the other gubbins on t'other (and from the wording, I'd guess only on Intel gfx chips? Which is a bit funny to start with).

Edit: scratch that about Intel chips etc, it mentions using a smartphone too..

Take a read through this thread - it sounds like there's some kind of Intel-specific tech this feature is waiting on, and some kind of official update should be coming soon.

Still a strange way to launch this functionality.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video
72. Re: Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video Oct 24, 2013, 09:12 Parias

bigspender wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 18:31:
the visuals are great no arguments there - but please tell it won't be that slow?

I actually kinda hope that it is - I'm looking for something other than a CoD-esque twitch-fest.

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
4. Re: CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM Oct 23, 2013, 18:57 Parias

Damnit! I might have to modify my AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS settings and make sure EMM386 is correctly enabled.  

44. Re: Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video Oct 23, 2013, 15:10 Parias

Wildone wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 15:02:
Too many people want dumb ass things, now its fire fighting sim inside the space sim?!! DAMN!

What's wrong with that? Capital ship stuff is one of the main reasons I'm excited about this game - I'd love to work together with a crew co-operatively doing damage control and such in the middle of a battle.

27. Re: Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video Oct 23, 2013, 13:04 Parias

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 13:02:
Creston wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 11:36:
Excuse me, there's a little string of drool hanging from my lip that I have to clean up.

Can the final game really look this incredible, and have anything near a playable frame rate? I sure hope so.

Which screenies/video's are you looking at? Want to check out.

He's probably referring to the Hornet trailer: http://vimeo.com/77480949

406 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo