Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 504 (Apprentice)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 28, 2015, 11:35 Parias

“There are moments when, like I said with Deus Ex, people really pushed me to put a big fight in Chateau DuClare, when you’re leading Nicolette DuClare around and she’s commenting on the rooms of the house,” he said. “And I fought and fought and fought not to do that. And a large percentage of players said, Oh that’s boring. But at least some players said, Wow, this was super pivotal for me; a game had never been like this before.

Oh wow, nostalgia -- the DuClare mansion bit was one of my fondest gaming memories. Exploring this abandoned, highly detailed (for it's time) mansion with so many side areas to explore with their own bits of lore to read (news articles, logs, etc) and extras to pick up, with Nicolette filling you in on her history -- all the while the Icarus AI is taunting you and you know that MJ12 would be closing in at any moment.

Fighting to keep that area combat-free was a smart move. I felt the game did a great job of building the tension on it's own there without having to throw waves of enemies at you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access
15. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access Aug 12, 2015, 21:58 Parias

Nuhauser wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 21:55:
So what is this anyhow? I'm hoping for a single player mission like I would have gotten in Wing Commander. Is that just pie in the sky optimism?

Nope.

Although the singleplayer stuff isn't out yet and they're keeping it pretty much under their hats until it's ready to minimize spoilers. For now, what's available in the game's "Arena Commander" module does have basic singleplayer / co-op play against waves of bots that you can play through.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
23. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 7, 2015, 21:32 Parias

Kosumo wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 21:24:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 21:10:
I'm just going to leave this here...

Retaliator-Living-Front-Module

Retaliator-Living-Rear-Module

Retaliator-Cargo-Rear-Module

Retaliator-Cargo-Front-Module

Retaliator-Dropship-Module

Retaliator-Front-Torpedo-Bay

Retaliator-Rear-Torpedo-Bay

Fucking derek smart is looking more right by the broadcast.

WHAT

THE

FUCK????

That's very crappy pay to win/money grab shit right there .... Thinking CIG is aching for more money.

$25-$75 dollars for modules for internet spaceships that still don't yet have a game.

Totally Crazy - I'm starting to feel offended that Chris Roberts could treat his fan base like this.

Soo, don't spend your real dollars on them then? All that stuff will be available for in-game space dollars once it's done. This is just pledge stuff.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
15. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 7, 2015, 20:34 Parias

DangerDog wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 18:59:
This is a prefect example of why games are designed the way they are and remove the tedious actions of forcing you to actually manipulate your game character into vehicles like this. It's cool maybe once or twice but given the realistic designs of the ships you can't even pass another player in a hallway.

They're wasting so much development energy on animating all that realistically as possible when they should just have you walk up to the ship and press a key to get in, select an open position from a menu and take you there, maybe transition to a quick animation of you sitting in your seat and the console activating.

That would cut out so much of the cool gameplay they're planning though. What if someone was hidden away onboard the derelict bomber, who started assassinating the crew while they were trying to repair the ship? What if the other guys in the Constellation had arrived before-hand, and a gun-battle broke out inside of the derelict to see who could take control of it (while the space battle was going on outside)?

Plus, there's something I find insanely cool about being able to run around inside of a ship like this while it's in battle and directly interact with the various sections to keep them online (they're not planning to just keep you stuck at an engineering station the entire time, but in larger ships you'll have to run around and try and fix damaged systems personally, or seal off bulkheads to hold off boarders or whatever).

That's the kind of stuff they're trying to get built up for the persistent universe. I'd rather have all that then the half-assed "hit a button to teleport into the driver's seat" approach other games use.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 18:27 Parias

Creston wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 17:49:
I'm pretty confident that [none of the backers want] some small limited scope game.

I am pretty confident that a fairly large contingent of your backers want just a reboot of Wing Commander / Privateer. You know, the thing you originally promised them.

Not me -- I backed because of the promises of something more than just another space sim. We'll see if it actually lives up to that of course, but I want them to at least try.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Announced
4. Re: Halo Wars 2 Announced Aug 4, 2015, 21:54 Parias

I actually thought the original Halo Wars was pretty cool - I enjoyed the storyline, and in particular being able to play the entire campaign co-operatively with a friend made it an insane amount of fun (one person could manage the base while someone else handled offense, for example). Hope they bring full co-op play to this one as well.

The controls honestly weren't that bad. I was initially really skeptical, but with the way the game was designed it turned out okay. Admittedly though I'd still prefer KB/M any day, so I'm glad the sequel is coming to PC.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Trailer
5. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Trailer Aug 4, 2015, 15:12 Parias

I thought World in Conflict handled the whole "America gets invaded" thing pretty good - placing it in a sort of alternate late 80's and weaving things like the "Star Wars" program as being the only thing stopping the Soviets from flinging a bunch of nukes around (even though it was secretly a bust) into the storyline was a neat move.

Wish the developers would release more titles -- I always liked the "Ground Control" style of games =\

News Comments > Call to Arms Early Access
1. Re: Call to Arms Early Access Jul 30, 2015, 17:36 Parias

Neat! The past Men of War games have been absolutely fantastic (and sometimes hilarious) for co-op play -- been looking forward to this. Going to give it a spin at this weekend's LAN party.  

News Comments > Asian Online Titanfall Game Plans
2. Re: Asian Online Titanfall Game Plans Jul 29, 2015, 13:07 Parias

I thought it was a kinda neat game to play - I had fun with it =\  

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More
36. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 13:36 Parias

Wildone wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:53:
0:18 a good example of the problem right there..why the fuck is he doing a motion capture shoot for S42..I know its supposed to have a story with probably cut scenes but for gods sake..wasting time on this and not on the game/core mechanics. And who's to say hes not spent a lot of time on the core mechanics though right?!?! Well..I doubt it very much...all this waste and bloat is not gonna make the dogfighting better with a mocap shoot, I promise you that.

Why wouldn't they be doing a motion capture shoot? It's a singleplayer, story-driven campaign. I'd totally expect that just like I'd expect it out of any other campaign-driven game.

And do you seriously think the programmers putting together the core game mechanics are putting everything on hold while the motion capture stuff is going on -- that both aren't be developed at the same time?

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
48. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 14:31 Parias

panbient wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 14:00:
I mean really, did anyone honestly expect to not be flying around space in first person (much in the same way they did back in the day)? There is absolutely no real need for a shooter / on foot component to be attached to the product in order to feature first person perspective and gameplay.

I actually see it as a more important distintion; the fact that you're a person "inside" of a ship rather than just an arbitrary camera stuck to some cockpit position. By extension this means you can get up from your chair at any time and interact with the ship's interior, perform repairs, partake in boarding actions, etc, all seamlessly. That's what they're going for.

You don't normally see that kind of thing in space games, and that's what I'm excited about with Star Citizen -- because they're not just trying to make another space sim.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2015, 13:23 Parias

Nuts -- for a second there I thought "Tachyon Project" had something to do with "Tachyon: The Fringe", the classic space sim... and that this was a remake or something.

Disappoint =\

News Comments > Into the Stars Early Access
3. Re: Into the Stars Early Access Jul 9, 2015, 13:16 Parias

Cool - I like the whole "play from the bridge view" thing they have going on. Going to keep an eye on this.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patched
16. Re: MechWarrior Online Patched Jul 7, 2015, 13:18 Parias

edaciousx wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 12:11:
one of the big disappointments is that they said there's a good chance for single player missions and there has been no talk about that at all... at least from what i've heard. I want the single player experience, not the multiplayer.

And we were so close to getting it at one point, too!

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays
62. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 19:58 Parias

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 19:44:
Reading up on Star Marine that sounds a lot different than the original vision given. I recall, you can hit different body parts and that would affect the hitee. That you could miss and do damage to the ship and that would then need repair before it is too late. That you could sabotage someone at a docking station and steal their ship. Now it sounds like meet a station and do some un-attached PvP? Huh?

That's the long-term plan for the full, persistent-universe portion of the game once it's actually developed. The smaller-scale "Star Marine" concept is just the initial implementation of FPS combat to get things working and tested, just like what they're doing with "Arena Commander" for the space combat.

News Comments > Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans
6. Re: Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans Jun 29, 2015, 18:31 Parias

Sweet! This excites me in so many ways.  

News Comments > DCS World 2 Stream
3. Re: DCS World 2 Stream Jun 29, 2015, 12:37 Parias

Totally - I've had some great LAN parties with this game too. The "Combined Arms" expansion in particular was a great choice because one of us can be dedicated to playing from an RTS-styled top-down view (or take direct control of ground vehicles) while other players handle all the complicated in-flight stuff for their own planes, working as one large combined force. It's insane amounts of fun.

Can't wait for DCS World 2.

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays
15. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 11:06 Parias

Rigs wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 10:32:
I still say that they should put the video camera away, take the community managers off the grandstanding and put them to work on the game itself.

Put them to work doing what? They're community managers.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 25, 2015, 17:50 Parias

Cool, glad multiplayer has been a consideration at least. I know focus for Fallout should be on the singleplayer experience with the limited time and resources they have, but with the diverse skill trees I've had a lot of dreams about one day doing co-op play in these games.

I wonder whatever happened to that multiplayer mod someone was making for Skyrim?

News Comments > People Can Fly Returns
3. Re: People Can Fly Returns Jun 24, 2015, 15:57 Parias

Kajetan wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 15:19:
I'm glad Epic just didnt shut them down after EA was not very impressed with Bulletstorms sales performance, canceling all plans for Bulletstorm 2.

Which I found annoying -- I don't know if I'm in some strange minority or not, but I actually really enjoyed Bulletstorm. I hope we can still get a sequel one of these days somehow.

504 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo