Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mr. Denton

Real Name Mr. Denton   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Parias
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 8, 2002, 21:48
Total Comments 370 (Amateur)
User ID 12630

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942 Redux
15. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Redux Apr 19, 2014, 05:12 Parias

Jerykk wrote on Apr 19, 2014, 05:00:
Also, Codename Eagle wasn't a BF mod. It was the spiritual predecessor to the BF series.

And a freaking awesome one at that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailer
17. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailer Apr 17, 2014, 15:21 Parias

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 14:13:
Remember Aliens Colonial Marines..... and what bullshit and lies were spread before that released....

Yes. I also remember earlier games like the Alien vs Predator series, which were quite awesome.

I'm not going to write off an entire enjoyable franchise just because of one bad game from an isolated developer.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailer
10. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailer Apr 17, 2014, 11:55 Parias

Great trailer - this definitely ramped up interest for me. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 10:51 Parias

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 09:01:
I have been playing this game from release and this feature pack, although ambitious,has made too much of a negative impact of the game.Through all the devs positive double speak, it will have a negative impact on many. It's a game breaker for many.

Your post is pretty unclear - what exactly is "negative" and a "game breaker" with this release?

News Comments > Ghost Recon Phantoms Launched
9. Re: Ghost Recon Phantoms Launched Apr 10, 2014, 16:23 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 16:18:
So the original Ghost Recon games (IIRC) were single player or coop campaign style games. This is multiplayer only? Again, a trailer which doesn't describe what kind of game this is at all. Good advertising there.

This confuses me as well. Does it actually have some kind of co-operative mission-oriented gameplay, or is this strictly competitive?

News Comments > Ghost Recon Phantoms Launched
5. Re: Ghost Recon Phantoms Launched Apr 10, 2014, 15:09 Parias

LittleMe wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 15:03:
Why not just play a CoD or CS game instead? Because this is free?

Because multiplayer-wise, those are "twitch" games and I sometimes prefer something a bit slower-paced with a bit of strategy to it. Not every game out there has to be exactly the same as CoD / CS to be fun.

But by the sounds of things, the "Pay 2 Win" model makes this terrible so I'll probably skip it.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed
17. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 11:51 Parias

Prez wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 11:28:
I for one can't wait for this.

Ditto - any story-driven co-op shooter is AOK in my book. Every time I've played booted up Borderlands for a playthrough with friends, we've always had an insane amount of fun with it. I'm looking forward to this.

News Comments > Fortnite Alpha Signups
8. Re: Fortnite Alpha Signups Apr 8, 2014, 19:22 Parias

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 8, 2014, 19:10:
I've been alpha testing this since October. They sent the first 500 of us a cool little dog tag.

This game is FUN! It's only in alpha, so I can't wait to see what gets added and how much more fun it becomes.

Basically you have a bunch of areas with missions. You start an area and build a fort to protect yourself at night, when the monsters come out. During the day you try to complete the objectives to move on to the next board. Pretty much everything is destructible, and there are a lot of hidden areas. They shut down the test right before Christmas, and we've been eagerly waiting for them to start it back up again.

Thanks for the summary - this actually sounds like it'd be a really fun co-op game. Can't wait to see how the final turns out.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 7, 2014, 13:47 Parias

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 13:36:
Personally, if you buy the xbox one it is mainly for the enhanced graphics and you won't have that in a emulator. So what is the point?

It'd be a lot more convenient to just play everything on a single console rather than having to unpack my X360 every time I get the urge to play an older title.

And if my X360 breaks a few years down the road, it's going to be a bit trickier to get replacements for a discontinued product. Not impossible, but then I'd be at the mercy or whatever aftermarket options are available and could end up with an entire library of unplayable games.

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 3
18. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 21:03 Parias

[VG]Reagle wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 19:49:
I investigated the Star Citizen craze to try to find out what was going on

Why not try posting something original for a change? God forbid you contribute something useful to the discussion.

News Comments > Foolish Games, Volume 3
8. Re: Foolish Games, Volume 3 Apr 2, 2014, 16:10 Parias

panbient wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 15:48:
Like that HUD image. Sure it looks great, but it's a mock up. It even says so in the file name. Will it actually look like that in game? Perhaps, but right now it's still just concept art.

That ship looks really nice too, but tell me, when's the last time you were able to pay attention to the intricate details of a ship model in the middle of a dogfight? Why does it need a fine print warning to not step on the flap? What are the developers actually focused on? Making it work? Or making it look really pretty? Makes for great PR material though...

Actually, they do have some of this stuff in-engine too (although this is based off an earlier HUD concept).

There are a few reasons I can think of for the focus on ship detail. Namely, this is a first-person sim with fully rendered ship interiors and "get in / get out" transitions. You don't just walk up to the ship, hit "use" and teleport in to fly around with a typical full-screen or third-person view; there's a whole mechanic of walking up to your ship and getting into it before you launch into space. You'll see all of your ship details while you're getting into the cockpit, and while inspecting post-action damage (and managing repairs).

The boarding / salvage mechanics mean you'll be getting up close and personal with ships fairly often too. So there will be plenty of opportunities to appreciate the added graphical touches - they're not just adding this detail for no reason.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Trailer
2. Re: Tropico 5 Trailer Mar 26, 2014, 13:12 Parias

It's supposed to have some kind of new multiplayer / co-op play too, which in itself is enough of a reason for me to get it.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 3.0 Released Mar 14, 2014, 22:08 Parias

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:27:
Sho wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 20:31:
Yeah, Star Citizen can suck it for now - all the real actual gameplay ED keeps showing looks great.

Not sure it's an either/or proposition. Both look great, and I'm sure both teams are looking at each other's stuff and inspiring each other with design and competitive spirit.

Exactly - I like the look of both games and will get and enjoy both for different reasons. Definitely approve of the progress these guys are making in particular though.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers for Titanfall
11. Re: New GeForce Drivers for Titanfall Mar 10, 2014, 18:16 Parias

I found the beta to be a surprising amount of fun. Normally I tend to stay away from twitch-oriented competitive shooters like CoD, but something about this just resonated the right way with me, and now I'm convincing all of my friends to get the final so we can team up.

I'm probably just biased because I tend to love anything with giant robots in it.

News Comments > Interceptor Sees Blood?
12. Re: Interceptor Sees Blood? Mar 8, 2014, 16:46 Parias

Fantaz wrote on Mar 8, 2014, 14:20:
but what about Shogo??? we need a new Shogo: Mobile Armor Division game too.

I think they're already making one - it's called "Titanfall".

(But in all seriousness, I know what you mean and I concur.)

News Comments > Valve Reddit Interview
15. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 17:02 Parias

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 16:37:
BicycleRepairMan wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 14:56:
Beelzebud wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 13:27:
Gabe is great, and I love Valve, but let's get real here.

Gabe stood on Alcatraz island at an AMD launch event saying that Half Life 2 was ready to ship, and that it would be bundled with all new AMD cards. 48 hours later he had to admit the game was still at least a year away, and people got cd-key cards instead of a game.

Given his track record, I can see why he keeps quiet about HL3. When he has something to show, we'll all know it.

Yeah, HL2s delay was a major screwup, not the delay itself, but the way it was handled. As I recall, they promised HL2 on something like "sept 30" in May before that september, and then, as the summer went by, they went into some kind of panic mode, and instead of TELLING people that "its not coming out in september" they kept silent, and when they were asked in like late august early september if the game was going to be delayed, they said stupid shit like "Not that we know of..". Most people can deal with and excuse delays, but we dont like being lied to.

I totally understand that they dont want to create that trap for themselves, but it really was a royal screwup that they not only walked into, but kept making worse.

I suppose they have decided not to say anything until the game is nearly complete this time around, but how do you define "nearly"? I suppose when you have the content and game up running and playable start-to-finish, its about halfway there or so...

And there was the whole thing about some hacker leaking an alpha build they used as a convenient scapegoat. It was funny how much drama that caused with fragmaster at planethalflife.

Wow, I had almost forgotten about that.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts - Onslaught
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts - Onslaught Feb 28, 2014, 12:54 Parias

"Anchoring Onslaught is "Episode 1: Nightfall," the first installment in Extinction's new, four-part episodic narrative. As the initial foray into this single, connected story that will be told across each DLC Pack launch throughout the year, "Episode 1: Nightfall" takes fans to a remote research facility hidden deep within the Alaskan wilderness, where a small recon team must infiltrate the facility to find out what happened to the mysterious Nightfall Program. This expanded Extinction storyline introduces new characters, plus two all-new alien species, and debuts an exclusive Venom-X weapon that pulverizes the Cryptids, as players delve deeper into the story of what happened following mankind's first contact with the Cryptids in Colorado."

This might actually be kind of interesting if it's an actual scripted co-op mission - anybody know if this is the case, or is this just some singleplayer thing?

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Closed
33. Re: Titanfall Beta Closed Feb 6, 2014, 16:29 Parias

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 16:04:
More players is not inherently better. In fact 64 is too much in a lot of Battlefield maps. If they think 6v6 works best with the way they've designed the game, you could at least wait to try it out before you start bashing it for no reason. If every player in Battlefield had their own 2-story robot that could also act autonomously, it'd be a huge clusterfuck; gameplay and network connectivity both would be completely unmanageable. They would have zero destructibility at the very least.

Honestly, my main interest is in co-op games anyways so this sounds perfectly fine to me. The focus on vs-AI gameplay has actually given me more interest in Titanfall than I'd have for the usual CoD / BF releases. I don't really understand all the pre-emptive bashing either.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title
6. Re: EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title Feb 5, 2014, 21:18 Parias

Xokerat wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 20:21:
I mean that anything over looking around 45 degrees in any direction with the TrackIR for me becomes uncomfortable.
The sensitivity required for anything above that becomes so high that minimal movement triggers too much ingame movement.

The main use of looking around the cockpit in the EvE-VR prototype was looking beyond 90 degress around you.
That is, mostly above and behind you, and this I feel would be very bad using the TrackIR.
I have only found TrackIR confortable in games where 15-20 degrees of movement is the max. Like looking inside a turn in a racing game.

OK, fair enough then. I do know that it takes a painful amount of fine-tuning to get it to that perfect balance between usability and sensitivity - and ultimately agree wholeheartedly that the OR is going to be a far, far better solution especially once the consumer grade version hits.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title
3. Re: EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title Feb 5, 2014, 19:41 Parias

Xokerat wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 19:12:
The TrackIR would be counter-intuitive due to having to rotate the head and still look at the screen, and usually the degrees of rotations are so limited using it that it would not be that benefitial in use.

Respectfully, my years of TrackIR experience strongly disagree with your argument.

When tuned correctly the TrackIR works great - the idea is that it's sensitivity is set much higher than your head movements, so that only slight movements produce results that let you look all around the cockpit. I have no problems using it for all manner of space and flight sim games - especially titles like the DCS games which require you to constantly be shifting your view in order to play properly.

I have absolutely no doubt that the Oculus will be far superior when it comes out (and I plan to ditch my TrackIR in favor of it when the consume version is out), but saying the TrackIR is "counter-intuitive" and "would not be that benefitial in use" sounds completely wrong to me and doesn't match up with my experience at all. Currently I see absolutely no reason why it couldn't work for this game.

(Yes, I see in your post you say that you're also a TrackIR owner, but that just makes your post more confusing to me Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point you're trying to make? I just don't like seeing a perfectly good product getting slammed for no reason.)

370 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo