Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Frans

Real Name Frans   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Frans
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Oct 30, 1999, 19:41
Total Comments 305 (Amateur)
User ID 1258

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 17:16  Frans 

Bagpuss wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 20:53:
Super impressed that my code for running these forums is still working and here 11 years later, and with the now ridiculous number of posts they're handling.
[...]
Oh yea, and I'd love to know what Frans had to do to make them still do so!
Hehe, it's been a long time since I worked on them, but I don't recall I had to fix a lot of stuff. Most of my work on the board code entailed new functionality.

Bagpuss wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 20:53:
Just wanted to say that and hello to anyone who can remember back that far!
Sure do, and hello back to you (if you still read this - I don't check the forums on a daily basis anymore, hence the late follow-up).

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TrackMania 2 Patch
2. Re: TrackMania 2 Patch Jan 13, 2012, 12:39  Frans 

nin wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 11:07:
Has there been any more talk of a steam release?
Nope, I guess that's unlikely to happen before more of ManiaPlanet and/or all of TM2 (so two further environments) have been released.

-- Frans

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2011, 04:39  Frans 

Ant wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 11:51:
Frans wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 03:37:
You don't have to miss those Doom, Quake & Unreal archives though, they were moved to ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/ long ago.
Nice! ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/doom2/incoming/ and ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/games/doom/incoming/ are empty. Back in the old days, I would check daily and there were new stuff. I still see my old DOOM 2 mods from 1995! Woohoo!
Heh. Well, /pub/games/doom and /pub/games/doom2 are just symlinks to the main DOOM-engine archive /pub/idgames. But that is indeed still actively maintained by Ty Halderman of TeamTNT (since 1997!) and new uploads are processed (usually) daily into /pub/idgames/newstuff.

-- Frans

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2011, 03:37  Frans 

Ant wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 04:44:
I miss avault.com/pcrl, ftp.cdrom.com/pub/games/doom?, etc.
You don't have to miss those Doom, Quake & Unreal archives though, they were moved to ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/ long ago.

-- Frans

News Comments >
10. Re: Morning Safety DanceMorning Safety Dance Oct 18, 2011, 17:05  Frans 

Genesys wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 20:10:
What blows my mind is that Blue still creates this news page from scratch. I would have long ago converted it into database-driven system
Uhm, that's what already happened really really long ago.

Genesys wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 20:10:
where you insert stories and links into a table with a category field (with a dropdown for the common ones to prevent typos), and tied it to something that flags duplicated links, and then builds the page with categories and bullet lists appearing dynamically as needed. That way you get a correctly-escaped, well-formatted page every time.
That's what Blammo does, for a large part. But it doesn't force any kind of structure on specific news posts, and doesn't flag stories that are accidentally submitted twice, which is probably what caused this orphaned forum thread.

-- Frans

55. Re: Chrome Oct 15, 2011, 10:22  Frans 

Enahs wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 09:59:
Blue wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 09:24:
Jim wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 19:33:
This is the only site that I visit regularly that forces them, and as a web developer (13 years) I don't recall one incident where this became an issue.

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought you were asking for code to remove underlines, but it sounds like we are adding code that forces them?

I believe he is saying, that if you do not force link underlines on through the css code (just remove that entire line) it will do what the browser is set to by default. By default in most browsers links are underlined, but you can turn that off for your browser.
The style sheets don't meddle with link underlines, and I'm able to turn them off in my Firefox (3.6.23 on Linux and Windows, dunno about other browsers). So I don't understand why Jim can't.

-- Frans

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2011, 08:25  Frans 

zincthallinide wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 13:47:
Even just a link somewhere on the main page that leads to my profile would work masterfully.
In the sidebar under Customize, User Settings links to a menu with View User Profile as the first entry.
Not ideal perhaps, but it's there.

-- Frans

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2011, 08:19  Frans 

Sepharo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 19:15:
In this post I used the url tags on "available here" and posted just fine. I then needed to edit my post. Without modifying the url tags or the url itself I then submitted my edit, but this time the url was deemed too long. I rectified the situation by putting a space between the opening url tag and the 'a' in "available here" and then I was able to submit. The odd part of course was that the error only showed up upon trying to edit my post.
Thanks for elaborating, there still was an inconsistency between the post and edit code. Hopefully solved now.

Sepharo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 19:15:
edit:
Sorry I'm having a hard time letting this go...
so please don't expect me to know everything else that goes on in the forums.
Would it not occur to you to check my post history if I thanked you for the fix and then reported "But I just experienced [...]" ? Surely it must have happened inbetween your fix and recently enough to use the word "just"
You have no idea how much I have on my plate, so I'll forgive you, but... no, even if it occurred to me it's not specific enough.

There are reasons why I'm no longer proofreading the site, nor developing new/updated features, or am barely skimming just the OotB/ItB threads. So unless someone provides a specific and detailed report about some problem here, I have no trouble "letting it go".

-- Frans

News Comments > TrackMania 2 Website, Trailer
5. Re: TrackMania 2 Website, Trailer Apr 20, 2011, 15:13  Frans 

JaguarUSF wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 18:41:
Trackmania United Forever is a fantastic game.

For those looking for a free taste, download Trackmania Nations.
That's the old TM Nations ESWC site.
TMN Forever can be downloaded from the current TrackMania site.

-- Frans

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2010, 17:39  Frans 

Bagpuss wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 15:52:
Wow, this place is still here. My board code still works. 10 year old Perl code for the win!

Seriously though, cool.
Yeah, but not without a ton of additions and tweaks.

-- Frans

17. Re: Site move Oct 26, 2009, 16:31  Frans 

I just clicked the link for the forum comments, and I got the evil "server not available" screen.
That was not related to the move, but me trying to fix a script warning... and briefly forgetting a pesky semi-colon somewhere.

But now it seems to be working. Good timing, huh?
Yup, well done.

-- Frans

9. Re: Site move Oct 26, 2009, 13:01  Frans 

Here we go...  

-- Frans

News Comments > OFP: Dragon Rising DLC & Patch Soon
22. Re: OFP: Dragon Rising DLC & Patch Soon Oct 22, 2009, 15:34  Frans 

test test  

-- Frans

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2008, 04:36  Frans 

The last line of text in a comment is at the bottom of the comment window, without any / with very little "padding" in between - it looks abrupt, and a little weird.
Not sure what you're getting at... which comment 'window'? 'padding in between' the comment and... what? The signature separator?

There's already some padding in that spot, 6 pixels of it, to be exact.

-- Frans

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2008, 17:35  Frans 

I don't know if this was mentioned before and I missed it...but I see the signatures are now updated to old posts if you make changes. Nice one!
Thanks, that is indeed the new-feature-of-the-day. W00t
there could be links added to the top of the list so we don't have to scroll down to click "Later/Earlier".
Done.
Better yet, could there be more per page, like a minimum of 25 or more, user selectable maybe?
They were already doubled from the original 5 per page a few months ago. Whether that is "enough" depends very much on the combined length of the posts. 10 seemed to work nicely, 25 is definitely too many. Selectable ain't going to happen, I'll see what Blue thinks of an intermediate number.
And could there be page #'s to jump through, rather than Later/Earlier.
Yeah that'd be better, and consistent with thread pagination, but will take some more time.
Search feature would be nice too, as sometimes finding something specific like mod info or links someone posted awhile back can be difficult to find.
I agree, I'll see what I can come up with.

-- Frans

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2008, 17:25  Frans 

who's doing the new game headers, (2) or Frans or...?
Missed the announcement? That's so unlike you. Headscratch

-- Frans

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2008, 12:14  Frans 

That Elvis smiley needs more contrast. With the dark blue background here, you can't really make out the hair.
Yeah, and the Mr-T one suffers from the same problem, they were designed for light backgrounds. But I'm no artist so I'm not going to touch them up. Anxious

-- Frans

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Test Oct 18, 2008, 11:33  Frans 

test again  

-- Frans

8. Re: Test Oct 18, 2008, 11:09  Frans 

test some more  

-- Frans

5. Re: Test Oct 17, 2008, 07:20  Frans 

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 7, 2008, 18:17.

-- Frans

305 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo