Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeremy

Real Name Jeremy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 13463220
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1546 (Pro)
User ID 12225

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Gothic 3 Patch
27. Re: INI stuff... Oct 28, 2006, 13:11 DrEvil

It amazes me that some of the same people that slam other games for their issues are the some of the same ones that tolerate this piece of shit of a game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gothic 3 Patch
4. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2006, 21:35 DrEvil

It takes a truely lazy or talentless developer, especially for an RPG game, to break saved games in updates. It is down right trivial to write file formats that can be extended and easily upgraded automatically by the game without getting broken/corrupted.

News Comments > Gold - Splinter Cell Double Agent
14. Re: Awesome Oct 26, 2006, 20:26 DrEvil

Dammit

News Comments > Gold - Splinter Cell Double Agent
11. Re: Awesome Oct 26, 2006, 19:40 DrEvil

Does this have Coop by chance?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: just so misleading its sick Oct 25, 2006, 19:15 DrEvil

Most of the time(and it depends on the type of assets and compression), compression actually saves load time, because the actual IO of reading the file is often much much slower than the act of decompressing it, on top of reduction of fragmentation, so reducing the file IO at the expense of cpu time is often a fast tradeoff. This may be becoming less of the case with these new consoles, I don't know.

Consider how much slower it is to copy thousands of files than it is to copy 1 large one, even if they are ultimately the same total size. In modern games of no load screen sort of things where they are loading new assets on the fly asynchronously compression may be doing more harm that good. It likely still takes longer, but a dev may prefer to use the cpu from the decompression actually running the game now, where it might be the opposite with when using an actual load screen.

No doubt they are likely still using pack files, even if they aren't compressing the assets within.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 19:17.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: just so misleading its sick Oct 25, 2006, 18:21 DrEvil

Sony has been claiming that games are already filling blue ray discs, though I find that really hard to believe unless some developers are abandoning all use of compression altogether, which would be pretty retarded of them.

News Comments > Prey Sequel Plans
6. Re: No subject Oct 24, 2006, 10:48 DrEvil

Prey was a turd. I don't understand how it sold so well. They practically ignored multiplayer options that might have been interesting with the portal stuff too, leaving it firmly in the realm of a mediocrity.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: UMK3 Oct 22, 2006, 21:48 DrEvil

No, their 'fact sheet' and their repeated public statements that are completely full of shit.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: UMK3 Oct 21, 2006, 23:05 DrEvil

Christ Sony is so full of shit.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
3. Re: No subject Oct 21, 2006, 14:41 DrEvil

Apparently more than just slow ass muskets.

Chris Owen: One of the interesting things that I learned when researching weapons was that the Civil War was one of our nationís greatest periods of greatest military innovation as both sides were trying to find weaponry advancements to win the war. Weapons such as Gatling guns, repeating rifles, hand grenades and exploding artillery were used by both sides in the Civil War and are featured in the game. All of the weapons are authentic to the Civil War era and also include period muskets, revolvers, sniper rifles, sabers, and knives. Here is the full list of weapons:
# Sheffield Bowie Knife
# U.S. M1860 Light Calvary Saber
# Colt Army Revolver Model 1860
# Remington Revolver
# 1861 Springfield Musket
# Whitworth Rifle
# Sharps 1855
# Colt M1855
# Spencer Rifle
# Henry Rifle
# Target Rifle (i.e. Sniper)
# Grenades
# Howitzer 9 lb Cannon
# Gatling Gun

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
68. Re: And so it begins. Oct 17, 2006, 19:54 DrEvil

With Valve being a private company and with Steam being closed-source and having encrypted or obfuscated network traffic, the public will never know what is being collected or how it is being used.

Just like every other piece of software out there. I'm not going to get into the steam debate with you. You are easily the biggest steam/valve conspiracy theorist out there, and no matter what is said you will believe that valve and steam is out to fuck you, despite absolutely no evidence supporting the claims. We all are entitled to our opinions, but frankly most of the blues crowd is sick of hearing your valve/steam drivel. If only we could convince you to keep it to yourself it would be a wonderful achievement.

56. Re: And so it begins. Oct 17, 2006, 17:20 DrEvil

In addition to using the collected data for its own sales and marketing purposes, Valve could and may be selling that information to advertisers and marketers who would certainly be eager to have it.

Right, and they could be skinning small children at their office. Until it is known that they are in fact using such information for these evil purpose I don't give a rats ass. I've yet to see anything harmful in compiling playtimes, death stats, completion time, etc of the single player and multi player games. I'm not going to live in fear of something that has yet to be verified as anything but a what if.

EA on the other hand is pretty public about their shady bullshit, with which I will choose not to participate, not that I would have gotten this turd game anyways. I can only hope they are just testing the waters and it will fail miserably, but thats probably wishful thinking.

With your definition, most software that does any sort of data transfer could be considered spyware. Every OS is spyware, every software that checks for automatic updates is spyware. Many games are spyware. I choose to go by a looser definition, which is basically malware or spyware with the intent of delivering me unwanted spam, ads, etc. Tracking usage of their games doesn't fit into that category, and may even help help make better shit in the future, and I see no harm in it, though it would be nice to have such things more obvious to the user. It's a compromise I'm willing to make as long as there isn't any misuse of the data, which there doesn't appear to be yet.

When steam pops up Victorias Secret ads based on how long it tracked me looking a Alyxs tits I'll be pissed at them too.

54. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2006, 17:02 DrEvil

Maybe if their stock price takes a deep dive they'll pay attention.

Probably would just blame it on piracy.

46. Re: And so it begins. Oct 17, 2006, 16:36 DrEvil

Care to post a source that they are tracking single player too? The stats on that page have been available for every game since the beginning of internet gaming and master servers. Server contact a master server with information, thats how clients find games. Nothing new or steam specific about that. It wouldn't be hard for them to track player play time through the same system.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/ Has similar stats, though in a not so pretty graph format. The hardware survey has also always been optional as well.

Where is the spyware bit? Using that logic every MMORPG in existance is also spyware, as they have detailed information of your playtime as well. Nothing on that stats page says to me of adware/spyware/etc.

If there's any truth to that link, the specific part that makes it spyware is monitoring surfing habits for the purpose of giving to ad companies for targeted ads. Steam doesn't do that. I could give a rats ass if steam compiles information on players online playing their game and optional hardware surveys. Even if they compile single player playtimes it doesn't mean shit. When they start targeting ads at me with that information they will be just as big of dickheads. In fact, I'd welcome them or any other developer compiling playtime throughout a game if it meant they would use it to see what parts of games people like best to do more of it. Until the information is used for evil(like these EA fags seem to be doing) I couldn't care less.

35. Re: Place yer bets.. Oct 17, 2006, 15:12 DrEvil

Another reason EA sucks ass. http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4010&Itemid=2

You're right. Everything they do is about the bottom line.

27. Re: And so it begins. Oct 17, 2006, 14:17 DrEvil

I havent played Swat4, or SC3, but what spyware are you referring to in steam?

It's more than enough reason to pass on this shit game, above and beyond the fact that it's a shit game.

11. Re: And so it begins. Oct 17, 2006, 13:19 DrEvil

Here's an even better reason to pass on this turd.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/centipedes/battlefield-2142-with-a-dash-of-spyware-207955.php

oops yall beat me to it.
This comment was edited on Oct 17, 13:21.

News Comments > Trade Wars Remake?
10. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2006, 12:06 DrEvil

As one of the people who never played TW back in its day, a friend talked me into participating in a game that he had set up for the workplace. I was bored to tears, but managed to stick with it for a couple weeks to try and give it a fair chance. Unfortunately it never got much better so I eventually just stopped playing.

So many people talk about all the classic of the old days, but today expectations are higher and the same stuff won't impress gamers like they did back then. Even a remake of TW with graphics wouldn't be much fun to me, I would expect them to add significantly more features and gameplay elements, almost to the point that it turns into a Master of Orion type game, but more focused on your fleet of ships.

My 2c.

News Comments > Vietcong 2 Fist Bravo Released
2. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2006, 11:19 DrEvil

I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, mainly coop with some friends. Haven't tried the 2nd.

News Comments > BF2142 Demo Issue
55. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 21:00 DrEvil

I'm sure there is a alot of bloat, and I even commented on the movies in the rant also. I'm also not going to try to pretend that their artists made the best use of texture space. My rant was addressing the comments that said it was the coders fault. Coders rarely put together the demos in my experience.

There's plenty they could have done to make it smaller, but thats rarely at the top of many developers todo list, even though it should be. I fully agree this demo is bloated, but I don't agree it is the coders fault. They would be the last people I would point a finger at. That was my whole point.

I welcome procedural texture formats that don't cripple an artists ability to create what they want. Until that happens it's unlikely to change the industrys use of our current texture formats.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 21:24.

1546 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo