Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeremy

Real Name Jeremy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 13463220
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1546 (Pro)
User ID 12225

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Company of Heroes Patch
2. Re: No Comment Nov 15, 2006, 23:44 DrEvil

Played and beat the game long ago, good game. Nothing more to see.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. No subject Nov 15, 2006, 22:26 DrEvil

Big fucking deal. Common sense dictates they will upgrade the software before Vista is ships. I can't believe such bullshit makes headlines. OMG something doesn't work on an OS that isn't even out yet!! Fuckin retards.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: PS3 PR Rep Nov 15, 2006, 20:01 DrEvil

If he turned around and sold it for $2k then I'd say that was a day of class well skipped.

News Comments > The Late Show - New ET: Quake Wars Movie
56. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2006, 11:15 DrEvil

It plays pretty damn smooth for me. The movie FPS says 7.3, but it plays back at 30, also clearly listed on the movie info page. And no it doesn't mean it would play back faster, it means many of the frames are extrapolated, just like most compression algorithms work. The resulting playback doesn't look choppy to me in the least. Is it not playing back at 30 on yours? Is there some quicktime option you fucked with and forgot about to disable it?

edit:
Does it play back differently than this for you? http://i15.tinypic.com/4d6s281.jpg

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 11:35.

News Comments > Gold - Windows Vista
72. Re: No subject Nov 12, 2006, 21:29 DrEvil

Or if it would let me run AVG anti-virus.
It does

Or if it didn't take up a gig of RAM just idling there.
It doesn't

edit: Here's a decent page that compares the overhead of commands between dx9 and dx10

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/11/08/what_direct3d_10_is_all_about_uk/page6.html

I'm not putting much faith on current benchmarks. I plan to give Vista a few months for drivers to mature, and for it to actually become available before I start looking at the performance difference. There's potential there I think, but we shall see in the coming months I think more in that department. I'm a bit optimistic of Vista after several of my friends reported to me actual improved performance over XP in several games on RC2. Obviously nobody should be expecting to run it that well in older hardware. It's a 'next gen' OS basically, and I could give a rats ass how much memory it takes up, so long as when I launch my games it frees up what it needs, which as I understand it, is part of what it is designed to do. We'll see what happens in the coming months.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 02:33.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. No subject Nov 12, 2006, 12:43 DrEvil

Predatory Packaging: Are You Being Illegally Forced into Buying a Mega Console Bundle?

As shady as marketing can be sometimes, nobody is being forced into shit.

25. Re: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Nov 11, 2006, 18:05 DrEvil

Riley you're so full of shit. The fps of this video means absolutely nothing. It tells you nothing about what framerate they recorded it at, or the PC's it was recorded on. It's common practice for PR shit to be saved out at a lower fps for file size. You're smoking crack if you think a shaky cam would have been better in any way.

It's a shitty movie for reasons not related to the its fps.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 18:06.

19. Re: No subject Nov 11, 2006, 15:29 DrEvil

It's pretty clear that there isn't that many people even playing. No large scale game is much fun to watch or play with a few people.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Railroads Patch
5. Re: Much Better Nov 11, 2006, 14:37 DrEvil

Is this a fun game?

News Comments > Gold - Windows Vista
70. Re: No subject Nov 11, 2006, 11:32 DrEvil

The overhead in directx is pretty high. There are calls known as 'draw calls', which are the calls that actually perform the drawing work, and the calls themselves have pretty high overhead to a point that many developers attempt to keep them under ~2000, which can sometimes be tricky to do, since depending on the shadowing method, number of dynamic lights, multi-pass rendering and such, drawing a single object can end up being 2-5+ draw calls. OpenGL draw calls aren't near as expensive, and I've read it is one of the areas where DX10 has improved much on.

I agree with you though, all kinds of advancements like that are likely going to have their gains eaten away by the increased appetite of the new OS. In the end they could have increased DX10 performance by 200% over DX9, but if the OS is eating that new performance up it doesn't mean jack shit to to end user.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Gears of War has 'zero innovation' Nov 10, 2006, 17:51 DrEvil

And you just helped demonstrate the general downfall of videogaming over the past ~8 years.

Me? I'm a gamer. What do I look for in a game, over everything else? Innovation.

I don't intend to play another fucking WW2 FPS 20 years from now, but at the rate developers/publishers are going, I will have to cope with that or find a new hobby.

What downfall?

I think it depends what sort of innovation you refer to. Some might consider the new locations in each Call of Duty/Medal of Honor innovative. Some people mean innovation that reinvents the way a game is played. Seems to me most people think of innovation as significant changes/advancements in the way a game is played. How much can you really do with an FPS? I'd day not much. Change up the weapons and new maps. I enjoyed most of the MOH and COD games for the diversity of locations and missions. Most of the COD and MOH games have been considered fun games by many, so naturally sequels are in order. Eventually the material will get old and we'll move on. Hopefully sci-fi is the next theme they will go all out on, as there is alot more room for creativity and new shit.

I'm also getting a little burned out on WWII games as well, and it takes more with each sequel to register on the fun meter. Thats all my point was, innovation doesn't automatically mean something is fun, but fun doesn't necessarily need innovation(unless you consider new maps innovation). Obviously we all have different opinions on what is fun, but IMO in the end fun is all that matters. Innovation is a really good hook for games that have it, and I too am looking forward to spore, but it isn't stopping me from enjoying other games that are fun. To me Gears of War is a fun game, whether or not it brought anything new to the table.

If you truely can't enjoy a game unless it reinvents the wheel then maybe it's time for a new hobby. The business doesn't work that way. Successful franchises get sequels, and often don't have alot of new shit other than different settings. Occasionally we get something cool and new, or shit we've all seen put together in interesting new ways. That certainly has an effect on whether the game is fun, but it doesn't default to shit if it doesn't have it. IMO being a hard core gamer is self defeating for some people, cuz they expect new games to capture the same enjoyment that they may have experienced years ago. Many argue the original DOOM is a classic. I can only attribute this to it being the first major successful FPS that many of us clocked alot of hours of enjoyment into, moreso than it actually being that great of a game. We all want to relive the funnest moments of our gaming experiences in newer incarnations.

Many times 'new' shit can also ruin what might otherwise be a fun game. Innovation is only part of a bigger picture, and a part that is often successfully left out of a fun game. Quake 3 brought nothing new to Quake, but is often regarded as one of the best DM games around. HL2 didn't really bring anything new, but was wildly successful. WoW isn't that much different than many other MMO games. A combination of many other things is what makes WoW the huge success IMO, with innovation not playing that big of a part.

Blah, sorry for the essay.

News Comments > BF2142 Stats
5. Re: Pretty Cool Nov 10, 2006, 14:14 DrEvil

No thanks. QW would be better off without global stat tracking. Track stats within a single game like ET, fine. But not globally.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Gears of War has 'zero innovation' Nov 10, 2006, 12:19 DrEvil

I like it because it's fun. The same reason I like any game. Innovation means jack shit to gamers.

News Comments > UFO Extraterrestrials Delayed
5. Re: Whats the point of turn based games Nov 6, 2006, 11:36 DrEvil

Realtime isn't always better. I'm personally wondering why these xcom remakes continually fail to add multiplayer. I'd love to see a multiplayer capable xcom remake with a similar system as Baldurs Gate, where it can be realtime or paused, so that when there are players available for squad member you could play it more real time. I suppose the limiting factor is the whole base management planet view part of the game. There isn't much in that area that is multiplayer-able.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 11:39.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: No subject Nov 5, 2006, 13:04 DrEvil

The ignorance of people is so sad. I would have expected these retards to be targeting games like Saints Row, which took the whole GTA thing to much more extreme levels, but instead they are going after a game seemingly for its name alone, and assuming that it has anything to do with being a bully. Fuckin idiots.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: VF5 screens Nov 4, 2006, 17:59 DrEvil

In other news EA predicts the sun will rise tomorrow!

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 18:14.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Vista Nov 1, 2006, 16:54 DrEvil

Microsoft seems to really be trying hard to alienate the PC enthusiast with Vista, maybe its a underhanded plot to kill off pc gaming?

Surely they aren't that stupid. PC gaming is the only thing that keeps me needing windows. If I wasn't a gamer I would have gone mac or linux long ago. If anything they should be fighting FOR pc gaming, as it is the only real area left that other platforms can't keep up in.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Patch
45. Re: No subject Oct 28, 2006, 22:43 DrEvil

Love to hate things I got ripped off from. Either way, well said, I'm not going to push anything further. Sell it/take it back and be done with it. Too many games to worry about the occasional ass one. If they fix it maybe I will revisit it later.

42. Re: INI stuff... Oct 28, 2006, 18:12 DrEvil

You're amazed that some of us have standards? Call me crazy, but I tend to like it when a game doesn't scream to me that the devs half-assed nearly everything about it. Yea you're right. We should sit back and pat the devs on the head and say good job. You know why they do this? For people like you. You are part of the problem. I agree the game has potential to be great, the devs/publishers, for whatever reason half-assed it and totally blew it, just like Dungeon Lords had potential and they released a turd. These types of games live very short lives. They will keep doing it though, while you fuckers that will take a plate full of any kind of shit they dish out throw money at them and defend them of their obligations to do their fucking jobs. For people with standards, there is no enjoying a game with such obviously rediculous problems. I'm happy for you that you can look past the problems, but theres nothing amazing about the negativity.

38. Re: INI stuff... Oct 28, 2006, 17:15 DrEvil

There is nothing sound about that logic. Bug ridden shit games should not get bought. Whether they patch it worth a shit or not has very little to do with who is buying it right now. They brought this failure on themselves by releasing it in such a state, and should be busting their balls to fix it. Only then should anyone consider shelling out money for this turd.

1546 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo