Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jeremy

Real Name Jeremy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 13463220
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 15, 2002, 03:11
Total Comments 1546 (Pro)
User ID 12225

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
31. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2006, 11:02 DrEvil

Lockups and error codes that turn your console to a brick are plaguing every console, so don't pretend its an Xbox thing only. The PS3 user agreement even says Sony isn't responsible if their software updates fucking up your shit. There's some customer service for you. Wii is already having error codes that you have to get it replaced for.

The way I see it, consoles are taking on the worst properties of PCs. Reliance on software updates and shit that make it easy for them to introduce problems, only now when they fuck up you get to mail your shit in. Further, I wouldn't be surprised if both new consoles have the same life cycle issues as the 360, most likely the ps3 at least.

IMO, what started out looking like a generation of PC gaming killers is turning out to be nothing of the sort.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Faith in Sony? Nov 22, 2006, 12:16 DrEvil

Did the devs even bother testing these games?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Blizzard Sued Nov 21, 2006, 20:55 DrEvil

True. I'm not sure of the legalities of peeking around in memory or reverse engineering network packets, so it may be perfectly legal. At the very least, my hatred of cheaters has me rooting for Blizzard to at least fix their detection shit and ban another 50,000+ users. The fact that you can max your level with a bot is testament to the shitty design of MMO games, so maybe bots will ruin MMO games as we know it and the next generation of them will actually have some substance. IMO creating and profiting from cheats should be illegal in competitive games. It pisses me off that the people ruining the experience of games the most are the players themselves.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 20:58.

12. Re: Blizzard Sued Nov 21, 2006, 20:01 DrEvil

No, the developers could simply have used another person's installation of the game or have someone else test the work. Neither one would make them subject to the EULA as acceptance of it is not required in either case.

You know as well as I do they aren't doing that. There's no way they are relying on their users sniffing the necessary addresses or network packets of health/mana/whatever other memory they watch to detect whispers and shit.

Judging by some of their 'announcement' threads about new releases, and mention of 'network fixes' they may be sniffing network packets as well. You think reverse engineering network packets is legal? Sniffing memory for the purpose of financial gain of someone else product?

I guess that means you'd support someone creating and selling aimbots, wall hacks, driver hacks, speed hacks for your favorite FPS game right? Or money hacks for RTS games. Most of those don't modify the game files either, so it should be fine right? Never mind that it fucks up the game for everyone else.

This program does nothing without WoW. It is clearly a cheat, and knowingly against the EULA by the developers and players(that bother to read the faq). It profits off of WoW, and that puts it on shaky legal ground. Modders can't legally sell mods for games, so why would a cheat be allowed to? Sure they aren't directly using blizzard code like a games SDK but the entire program is based around memory locations and/or packet sniffing that were undoubtedly found by reverse engineering the activity or network traffic of blizzards game while playing on blizzards servers.

You're hopeless if you still don't see anything wrong with this.

I can only hope there is some law they can smack the devs with, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 20:40.

10. Re: Blizzard Sued Nov 21, 2006, 17:44 DrEvil

It does more than issue keystrokes.

Q: Does Glider modify my game files?
A: Definitely not. Modification of the game files is another violation of Blizzard's terms of service and is extremely risky as well. Glider attaches to a running instance of World of Warcraft after you have logged in.

Q: Can it crash the game? *
A: Since Glider only reads memory from the game, it is incredibly unlikely that it can cause the game to crash. Glider does not "hook", "patch", "inject", or otherwise touch any part of the game code, in memory or on disk. It is 100% passive, working solely by reading memory in the game to see what's going on.

Also, Glider checks the version of World of Warcraft you have during startup to determine memory locations of the data it needs to extract. If it's not confident it can work with your version of the game, a popup will appear and you will be notified that it is incompatible. Typically, this is right after a patch, before we've made the corresponding updates in our central database so that Glider can get the data it needs.

To do such a thing the developers had to have used the WoW client to find the desired memory addresses. They even maintain a database of memory addresses, since the cheat likely stops working with each new update that alters the memory address of shit like health/mana/etc.

Whether this is ultimately legal or not remains to be seen. IMO it's pretty rediculous to be allowed to make money from selling cheats to a game.

8. Re: Blizzard Sued Nov 21, 2006, 16:51 DrEvil

It all depends on the legality of selling software that potentially violates the DMCA, and definately the EULA. There's no way they could have written such a program without using the game to snoop the memory addresses of the shit it does. It attaches to a running game to watch your health and other shit. They had to have the game to develop it, which makes the developers in breach of the EULA at least. I'm sure they maintain active accounts to fix their cheat when blizzard updates the client files and it breaks.

I for one hope blizzard destroys them. Selling a cheat for a game is bullshit.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
30. Re: Core system for $100 Nov 20, 2006, 10:59 DrEvil

$100 + ~$100 for an addon hard drive is still a bargain. Then you effectively have a premium console, except wired instead of wireless controller.

The only thing that requires the hard drive is playing the old xbox games. Getting onto live and all that shit can be done with a memory unit.

More details here:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox360/xbox360customize.htm

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Vista will succeed no matter Nov 20, 2006, 01:18 DrEvil

What about it?

News Comments > New Ship to Sail, CS Cheaters Banned, & More
33. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2006, 20:27 DrEvil

Dude, you're fucking stupid. The fact that it was a multi-player only mod has absolutely no bearing on whether it should or shouldn't have bots, and whether it is or isn't fun playing with bots. It is absolutely 100% your opinion.

The fact that any game or mod shipped with bots or not means not a fucking thing. It means they didn't want to bother, it means they didn't have the budget, didn't have someone interested in doing it to a high quality level, etc.

You're a fucking bigot plain and simple. You try to pass off your opinion as fact to trash anyone elses preference to play a game differently from you. To you if someone enjoys playing bots more than people there is something wrong with them. You can't accept easy explanation from these people for the reasons why, and instead comeback with responses of how they are doing something wrong not to be enjoying multiplayer. The world doesn't follow 1 train of thought.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Vista will succeed no matter Nov 19, 2006, 20:09 DrEvil

DX10 is really the only reason they could potentially make such a claim. It's not enough.

26. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2006, 15:53 DrEvil

Or you can play the game how you like to play and let him play it like he wants to play? Does it hurt your e-penis that someone else enjoys the game differently than you do? Like it or not plenty of people like playing against bots. You don't have to agree with the reasons or approve of it. As usual there is always a vocal minority of jackasses who attribute bots to the downfall of games. Pure FUD.

As a bot author I've been personally blamed for the downfall of TFC for my role with Foxbot. It blows my mind how retarded these people are.

The signal to noise ratio of playing against other people is often just not worth the effort. I want to jump in a game and have some fun quickly. I don't want to have to fuck with the best case of knowing a good server, refreshing till a slot is open and trying to join, and still inevitably deal with jackasses or people who are strictly out for kill counts, which dominate even the best servers. Don't like bots? Fine, but your view on the subject is no more right or wrong than anyone elses.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 15:57.

3. Re: CS Cheats Nov 18, 2006, 19:53 DrEvil

Banning any cheaters is good in my book. Shoulda been doin that shit for a long time now.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 19:53.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. WoW Nov 17, 2006, 11:07 DrEvil

The lameness of World of Warcraft—and what to do about it on Slate Magazine

Stop playing the damn thing?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Global warming Nov 17, 2006, 00:30 DrEvil

Leaving computers on is the least of our concerns for global warming.

20. Re: Damn Nov 16, 2006, 20:33 DrEvil

Meh, have fun playing the same thing over and over again, rebranded from year to year.

As opposed to console gaming, which does the exact same thing? And these consoles that are lucky to live past a few months? Nah.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 20:36.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Patch
16. Re: Bleh Nov 16, 2006, 20:30 DrEvil

And it's a server bug fix it looks like. So why the fuck do clients have to patch at all? Someone at EA has head in ass syndrome.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Patch
5. Re: 1 bug fix ... Nov 16, 2006, 12:19 DrEvil

Clients have to update for a server crash bug?

1. Damn Nov 16, 2006, 11:31 DrEvil

PS3 fetching mostly ho-hum prices on Japan Net auctions.

Damn, I guess the American PS3 fanboys are just that much stupider.

News Comments > Titan Quest: Immortal Throne Announced
16. Re: I liked it Nov 16, 2006, 11:21 DrEvil

Think he meant draw as in "attract". The game would have to draw/attract more than 100 people online playing, not draw as in rendering.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
17. Re: Are you really this stupid? Nov 16, 2006, 11:06 DrEvil

Depends on the service. The Navy and Air Force probably have a much higher collective intelligence than the Army and Marines, because they do many more jobs that are technical based. It doesn't take a degree to be a troop, and those branches have a higher knucklehead ratio. Many of them are college kids doing the same shit any college kid would be doing at home, partying when they have the chance. In the morning rather than picking up books they are picking up a gun. They have more responsibility than anyone in their peer group could possibly imagine, and fucks like you shit all over the lot of them.

The military is made of civilians. Just like civilians there are fuckups. If you really think the military alone is made of retards you haven't looked at your local college recently. The entire world is full of retards.

You don't ever hear about the majority of the military that supports the minority. Those are the people that have jobs that require intelligence and skill. All you hear about is the fuckups that snap in Iraq and rape a kid and kill their family. That's how the media works. The fact that you are buying into it so blindly puts you squarely in the retard camp with some of them.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 11:10.

1546 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo