Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for sc4r4b

Real Name sc4r4b   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sc4r4b
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.burningsoulsforum.com
Signed On Dec 17, 2001, 20:48
Total Comments 998 (Graduate)
User ID 11928

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: Violence Mar 13, 2003, 16:48 sc4r4b

He is being sarcastic. Think about it... It is impossible for the world to be perfect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Violence Mar 13, 2003, 15:43 sc4r4b

If you're going to comment on Trent at least learn how to spell his last name. That was kinda funny though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Google Toolbar Mar 13, 2003, 11:48 sc4r4b

There is also iespell...
http://www.iespell.com/

*edit
BTW IMO The google toolbar rocks.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 11:49.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy: Freelancer
75. Re: colon Mar 13, 2003, 09:58 sc4r4b

Well I am glad that we could turn this into a real discussion. Now it is up to the masses to form their own opinion on Freelancer.

Also, let us know how EVE turns out. I am sure if you dig it I will too.

Later.

73. Re: colon Mar 12, 2003, 17:14 sc4r4b

Yeah after I re-read your post I could see how you were directing the loser comment toward the game producers... Which is why my reply said "I must have misunderstood..."

I too am burned out on the "Microsoft sucks" topic which is why I said... "why fight it?" That is a topic I just don't care about. I never said I didn't like Linux... From what I here it is a great firewall. j/k

Don't get me wrong I wasn't trying to change anyones opinion I just like a good debate.

And yes you were/are consistent. I never thought otherwise.

About the Freelancer plot/story being the backbone of the game...

I think this is a situation (like the mouse control) where the Freelancer developers were trying to appeal to a broader audience.

For instance, a friend of mine is currently beta testing EVE (Which its Devs tout as being inspired by Elite.) right now. He seemed like he wasn't really enjoying the experience.

So I asked him, "Is it boring?"

He replied, "Yeah... and I have no clue what to do most of the time..... I need some kind of clear goal in game... just going around aimlessly is pointless..."

My point is that I think some gamers have to have goals set out for them for motivational purposes. For the past 30 years we have been playing games (not games all but a majority) which have set goals and now we are reaching a point where the games don't necessarily have to have goals but a lot of gamers are accustomed to that formula.

I don't believe we should fault the game or the developers for trying to make the game more appealing to a broader audience. They need to make a living.

Not to mention that once you complete the game the entire Freelancer universe is open for the user. Also, users can hack some of the .ini files to bypass the SP experience if they wanted to.

BTW I am not trying to change your opinion... I am just trying to provide you with some "new data."

Take it easy.

News Comments > Devastation Gold
27. Re: rajajujuman Mar 11, 2003, 18:32 sc4r4b

It was joke... not an attack. Lighten up, man.

*edit
Oh yeah, I suck too.
This comment was edited on Mar 11, 18:45.

24. Re: Hump Mar 11, 2003, 16:55 sc4r4b

What kinda setup did you run the game on and how was the frame rate, man?

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 16:58.

16. Re: No subject Mar 11, 2003, 13:05 sc4r4b

Yeah, your right rajajujuman... This game is gonna suck just like all the other PC games ever released. Hell I should just quit gaming all together since they all suck. Oh yeah while I am at it Microsoft sucks too and I bet they found a way to make Devastation suck even more than it already sucks. I would watch movies or read a book but they suck as well. Life sucks too. I would kill myself but suicide sucks. The only game that didn't suck was E.T. for the Atari 2600.

7. Right on! Mar 11, 2003, 11:13 sc4r4b

Very cool. I have been looking forward to this one.

59. Re: colon Mar 10, 2003, 11:18 sc4r4b

Heh I respect peoples opinions man even if they differ from my own... Hell, it would suck if everyone had the same opinion. I think I misunderstood your first post... mainly the "loser" part.

Anyway, I can see what a lot of you are disgruntled about... Feeling let down and what not because your expectations of the game was not fulfilled.

Although I really dig the gameplay... I do enjoy a good twitch fest. Before the Freelancer came out I was worried that the whole combat part of the game would be on autopilot and all the EU had to do was click on the target. I was happy to learn it is not like that... It takes skill like any FPS. I ended up remapping my keys so W=afterburner and S=reverse engines... This made the combat a lot more fulfilling as opposed to constantly hitting your afterburners to stay behind the target. Another thing I found really cool was the ability to cut your engines and keep your forward momentum. My point is that the physics may not be realistic but we all know that sometimes games have to forsake realism for game-play. Personally I prefer game-play. (As I am sure most gamers do.) Even in IL2 often times I go more toward the arcade side of the options because I want to have fun. (As opposed to crashing at take off because I don't know what direction the wind is blowing because the IL2 Dev's left out the fucking wind sock.) I do enjoy realism/simulations in games but to reiterate I prefer game-play much more. Freelancer has game-play which is not dependent on levels I believe it is more dependent on EU skill. (My opinion.) Maybe DA should have implemented an arcade and sim option like IL2? Of course, that may have taken another 2 years of production. Last, I never read DA say that Freelancer was a space sim. At least it doesn't say that on the box.

The story is cool because in a way they are using it as a kind of training for the MP game. If you want all the systems available immediately all you have to do is start an MP server and jump on. But if you haven't played the single player then you are not going to know the (cool) nuances of the game. Plus the single player story breaks up the "open-ended" game-play some. To be honest I was kinda upset when I heard that the story was not very long because I am really enjoying it.

On to the open ended gamplay... Now the game may not be as open-ended as Elite but it is more open-ended that the most recent PC games like Freespace 1/2, Wing Commander games, or Tachyon. So I am not going to complain... because as much as I liked Freespace2 or Tachyon I prefer Freelancer because compared to those games I do have more of a choice on what I want to do next even if the number of galaxies is limited by leveling up... but even that aspect of the game (leveling up) reinforces the side missions. Because if you have explored an entire system them surly another system has loaded. Not to mention it really doesn't take very long until more systems are opened up. So in the end you by playing the SP story you are learning about the game and you can take that knowledge on-line or to a LAN with your friends.

Finally, it seems like y'all are blaming Microsoft for this... Where as I believe it is more of DA's decision on how the game turned out. Yeah Microsoft owns them but do you all really believe that There is some MS goon standing over the DA telling them how to make a game? For all of you who hate Microsoft what OS are you currently using? They are kinda like a necessary evil... so why fight it? (rhetorical)

Anyway,I felt I should express my opinions some rather than just saying Freelancer is a great game. There are other cool things about Freelancer but really I think I have said enough.

55. Re: colon Mar 9, 2003, 21:44 sc4r4b

Hey, not that it matters to you what I think but you were able to redeem yourself as well as your opinions with your last post.

I expect a lot out of games but to be honest they are still a long way off from being what I really want them to be... So, until we are able to jack in like the in the matrix I will take what I can get and I will bash games that deserve to be bashed like that POS FPS Revolution.

52. Re: colon Mar 9, 2003, 12:56 sc4r4b

I don't see why you have to bitch and moan about Freelancer and call people who enjoy it common or losers... It makes me think you just need to get laid. You're right though it is just game... Maybe you will enjoy Eve online? I think that sounds more like what you are looking for. Me, I am not looking for a game to end hunger or create world peace I can play for the rest of my life. I want a game that I will enjoy until I move on to the next one. If that makes me a loser or plebeian then so be it...

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 12:57.

42. Re: 40 & 41 Mar 7, 2003, 23:54 sc4r4b

<sarcasm>Yeah flying along side a fleet of spacecraft for years! Now that sounds like real fun! </sarcasm>

Your loss...

Freelancer is a great game. It doesn't even sound like you all tried the demo. It does sound like you will let other people form opinions for you.

I never enjoyed Diablo... it just wasn't my thing and I don't see how people could even compare it to Freelancer. If I were to compare Freelancer to another game I would say it is more like GTA3 in space... Of course, I am sure some one will completely disagree with my comparison and will probably flame me for doing so.

Oh well, I am going back to enjoy my game now.

News Comments > BF1942 Patch
11. Re: 'bout time Mar 7, 2003, 14:49 sc4r4b

Weren't they telling us to enable Hardware Acceleration before?

News Comments > Devastation Preview
22. Re: 20 S.T.A.L.K.E.R Feb 23, 2003, 12:02 sc4r4b

Thanks for the reminder. S.T.A.L.K.E.R looks really nice as well.

19. Re: pah Feb 23, 2003, 10:09 sc4r4b

I still haven't played Halo... I just can't bring myself to play a FPS with that damn controller... It's like driving a Porsche for several years and then trading it in for a Ford Pinto.
I know what you are saying about the linear gameplay though... I am getting burned out on that as well.

16. Re: Z Feb 23, 2003, 00:44 sc4r4b

Yeah the physics does add to the immersion... Have you seen the blood splatter screenies?

Scroll down some...
http://www.elited.net/interviews/2003/devastation.shtml

I am also happy to hear that the devs are keeping the player models low-poly for performance reasons. Nothing bothers me more than a shitty frame rate...

10. Sheep on Drugs Feb 22, 2003, 21:05 sc4r4b

Cool band.

4. Re: No subject Feb 22, 2003, 18:36 sc4r4b

Yeah, I kinda agree with you Z. The features in Devastation do really appeal to me. Although I would like to be able to hop in a vehicle and run some people over... but I guess the 40 various weapons in the game would keep me entertained.

2. Re: pah Feb 22, 2003, 18:30 sc4r4b

I am not really fed up but I am probably more into hybrids now... I have been playing Tribes 2 (on and off) longer than any other game ever in my 20+ years of gaming. I dig Battlefield 1942 but it is so friggin' buggy... Although, I am looking forward to Breed, Soldner-Secret Wars, Halo, and Planetside. I think Soldner is going to be the one for me though...

*edit
speeling

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 18:31.

998 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo