Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1585 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Legal Briefs
3. U.N. Steps Into RapeLay Controversy Aug 28, 2009, 22:18 Narf2029

All I read is "U.N. Increases Public Awareness of Something They Probably Didn't Know About." If governments really don't want people to get that game, maybe they should stop advertising the game as loudly and publicly as possible. But of course, they don't give a shit about who gets the game. Only important thing is being visibly opposed to something in such a way that it gets them votes or makes their organization look legitimate.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2009, 22:20.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Aug 28, 2009, 22:09 Narf2029

Pretty much six, though I only have a cellphone holster so I don't break the touch screen.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2009, 21:41 Narf2029

Of course she's a chick, what do chicks do? First, they gripe about never being able to find the "right guy" who listens, is smart and sensitive, etc etc. Second, they ignore that guy and fuck the first jerk that treats em like shit. And they wonder why so many guys just glaze over conversation to get into bed with them, when if a guy observes their actions that's clearly what they want in the first place, so why try harder? If you want people to believe it when you say you don't like cookies, keep your hand out of the fucking jar! It's kind of funny that she's a lesbian too, if that's true - sometimes I think that some lesbians keep saying men should be like this, and men should be like that, and one day they wake up and realize if they want a man that has all the characteristics of a woman, maybe they should go get a woman. Not all, of course, just some.

Now, more specific to the article, if there is sex at any point in the path of a romance, there are going to be people who are only after that. That sounds pretty human to me. Some people are gonna be after the talking and the getting to know the other character better, and that also sounds pretty human to me. It's not dehumanizing if humans do it. It's more like this writer thinks only her way is the good way. I haven't read the whole article yet but the first line of the excerpt pretty much sums up the flaw in the argument - "the player wants sex." With the example of Mass Effect, that player got what he wanted. Isn't that the goal of the developer, to give the player what they want? Only this writer seems to think it's terrible and shameful and inhuman for someone to want sex. Even then, if another player wanted to get to know the character better, they got what they wanted too. Why does she ignore that part? I wonder what she'd say about a game like Fallout 2 where you can have meaningless sex within the first 10 minutes of gameplay if you hurry?

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2009, 22:04.

News Comments > FCC Considers Unified Ratings System
13. Re: FCC Considers Unified Ratings System Aug 28, 2009, 21:30 Narf2029

I think the last thing all 3 industries need is federal oversight and regulation. It's hard to argue that parents shouldn't expect the government to raise their kids when things like this are proposed. But hey, maybe that problem needs to hit the bottom before people wake up and pay attention to it.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2009, 21:33.

News Comments > Emergency Internet Bill Plans
10. Re: Emergency Internet Bill Plans Aug 28, 2009, 21:26 Narf2029

It almost makes one miss the simpler things, like when governments controlled you by putting a gun to your head.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 26, 2009, 01:29 Narf2029

Hah, I have one of those kind of phones somewhere. Mine's a little smaller though. One of those great things to mention when someone complains that their mobile phone is too big.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Patch
13. Re: Mass Effect Patch Aug 25, 2009, 14:33 Narf2029

By disabling hardware audio in-game and restarting the game I've gotten my sound back to... well, as close to normal as it ever was. I only had time to run around Feros shooting at random to test the sound there but so far it's a definite improvement. I just finished Feros with all my characters last night so I'm not super eager to drum up another one and take a couple hours to get there for a better test heh. Hopefully this is helpful to anyone else who suffers from Realtek HD audio.

edit: And a pleasant surprise - I can see Therum as it was intended for the first time ever! Very nice since no fix anyone has ever posted fixed that problem for me.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2009, 14:39.

11. Re: Mass Effect Patch Aug 25, 2009, 14:14 Narf2029

Less neat. Now half the sounds are deafeningly loud and the other half are whisper quiet, and on top of that changing volume settings has no effect.

edit: And suddenly Steam is updating the game again, so let's see what happens in a few minutes.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2009, 14:14.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Outed 'Skanks in NYC' blogger to sue Aug 25, 2009, 13:48 Narf2029

All this because kids can't punch each other in school for talking shit anymore.  

9. Re: Mass Effect Patch Aug 25, 2009, 13:45 Narf2029

Neat, I was just lamenting about my Realtek audio likely causing problems yesterday and there it is in the patch notes.  

News Comments > More on Mass Effect Pinnacle Station DLC
11. Re: More on Mass Effect Pinnacle Station DLC Aug 25, 2009, 02:54 Narf2029

Not guaranteed to work, unfortunately, though it does seem to work for most people. I'm just in that 2% I guess. I always am. I'm sure a possible culprit is using the cheapest current-generation video card I could find last Christmas, but I couldn't afford to be too merry lol. I don't know though since I do get a high frame rate with all the bells and whistles, despite using a cheapie.

edit: Come to think of it, I do have another irritating-but-tolerable bug with sounds and vocals randomly stopping on Feros, but I'd bet money that's being caused by using Realtek onboard audio. If anyone has a magic pill for that, I'd be thrilled to try it. Enabling/disabling hardware sound was the only solution I found during an admittedly brief hunt, and of course that didn't help me.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2009, 03:06.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Aug 24, 2009, 20:59 Narf2029

Been seeing spring weather here all summer. Hell, spring was hotter than this, and less rainy.  

9. Re: More on Mass Effect Pinnacle Station DLC Aug 24, 2009, 20:52 Narf2029

That fix has never worked for me, unfortunately. The only "fix" I've come up with is to turn up my brightness to max. That way, lava is black and the land contours are slightly less black. Like I said though, that's the worst problem I'm having now and since you only go to Therum once each trip through the game, it's good enough for me. It's better than hard locks every hour, and every other time I land at the Citadel. It is kind of funny, though - out of all the planets to have a texture problem, it happens on the only planet with a destructive environment.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2009, 20:57.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Simultaneous PC/360 Release
13. Re: Mass Effect 2 Simultaneous PC/360 Release Aug 24, 2009, 20:51 Narf2029

If you like CRPGs, both are games you should not pass up.  

6. Re: More on Mass Effect Pinnacle Station DLC Aug 24, 2009, 15:24 Narf2029

I enjoy it enough that I'm actually playing several characters through it again. I dunno if it got patched on Steam while I wasn't paying attention but I don't think I've crashed once this time through, which is what made me stop playing last time. Of course, Therum is still 3/4 jet black but I'm used to that now.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2009, 15:24.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Man-made organisms Aug 23, 2009, 17:31 Narf2029

All the backup batteries in the world do your internet connection no good if you use BPL.  

News Comments > C&C4 Subtitle: Tiberian Twilight
8. Re: C&C4 Subtitle: Tiberian Twilight Aug 21, 2009, 18:15 Narf2029

Yeah, somehow I think that despite how strange Tiberian Dusk would sound, it would sound better.  

News Comments > Into the Black?
1. Re: Into the Black? Aug 21, 2009, 18:14 Narf2029

Lucky bastard. Wish my dwindling battery could get on the internet when the power is out.  

News Comments > Livingstone: Used Games "No Benefit"
22. Re: Livingstone: Used Games Aug 20, 2009, 12:54 Narf2029

At the end of the day, does the average gamer care at all whether or not buying used games helps the developer? No. They care that the used copy they pick up costs less than the new one. Costs less - the important part. Maybe if big studios didn't have multimillion dollar budgets for their titles they wouldn't need to sell millions of units to break even, and used sales would hurt less. Or hell, if they didn't have multimillion dollar budgets maybe they could sell a game for less and directly cut into used sales a bit (like they'd ever lower their prices, ha). If customers want to resell their used game, good for them. That's going to happen. Nothing but the most draconian solutions will change that, and even then only for the worse.  

News Comments > On the Demise of Gamecock
3. Re: On the Demise of Gamecock Aug 15, 2009, 17:34 Narf2029

Some people just like to waste money that isn't theirs. I figure if investors still give money to that kind of person despite all history and indication, more power to him.  

1585 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo