Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1572 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Preorder Offer
9. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Preorder Offer Nov 3, 2009, 18:05 Narf2029

I still think the tenth class should be the fatty.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Preorder Offer
3. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Preorder Offer Nov 3, 2009, 12:10 Narf2029

Shit, I've been on the fence about preordering L4D2 but getting Bill's hat in TF2? That fuckin seals the deal. (/sarcasm)  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 3, 2009, 00:43 Narf2029

I was gonna say, $10,000 can't even get you through a community college anymore.  

News Comments > Bloodlines Patch Plans
6. Re: Bloodlines Patch Plans Nov 1, 2009, 23:23 Narf2029

Ugh I just started a new game the other day lol. Haven't updated since 5.9 though so I suppose soon is as good a time as any.  

News Comments > L4D2 DLC Not Revealed
3. Re: L4D2 DLC Not Revealed Nov 1, 2009, 08:10 Narf2029

And people ridiculed the spork as useless. This will show them!  

News Comments > Champions Online Free Weekend Underway
6. Re: Champions Online Free Weekend Underway Oct 31, 2009, 17:34 Narf2029

I was able to download and install the client a week in advance, but I don't think I ever found an obvious place to do it until I asked Google, which I should not have had to do heh. I checked it again every day from Tuesday as well so I had one patch yesterday at go-time and that was it. However, the server appears to be down now so I can't play. Patcher could be better too, I left it on overnight last week to download the client and I wake up to find it stopped at 18%.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2009, 17:37.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Oct 31, 2009, 14:02 Narf2029

Hadn't thought of that, thanks for the idea.  

News Comments > Champions Online Free Weekend Underway
3. Re: Champions Online Free Weekend Underw Oct 31, 2009, 11:31 Narf2029

I'm not very far in but compared to CoH it's faster paced fighting. Seems more actiony with how it's built around energy-generating powers so you're always attacking, albeit with a weak attack, to build up the juice for the big guns. In CoH, when you run out of juice that's it hehe, you stand around and get beat on until some recharges. In Champions you're always doing at least a little something. Also means you can afford to use travel powers in combat, especially flight, since you never have to worry about running out of juice and falling out of the sky from it. Powers do cost more while you're using a travel power but again, it's practically an unlimited well of energy when you're fighting, at least at low levels where I am. Travel powers are more interesting too. Swinging is a lot of fun hehe, so much so that I haven't tried others yet. I'm not a huge fan of the costume creation yet though. It just seems like it's lacking in parts, especially if you don't like making a look that's really costumey. I know CoH has been out for much longer but I still think it had a more balanced variety of costume parts even at the beginning, so people who wanted to look like they were fresh out of a comic book got what they wanted and people who wanted to look more plain and unassuming (like me) also got what they wanted. It's possible to look low-key, just not as many choices to do so. Missions run differently too, more like WoW from what I've seen so far - the only instanced mission I've done so far was the one in the tutorial. Everything else has so far been done in public zones. I've also never felt compelled to group, and if I wasn't playing with my girlfriend I probably wouldn't. Then again, I usually didn't feel a need to group in CoH until the mid-teens either so we'll see.

Another minor gripe, if your detail settings don't have the lighting effects on high you won't be able to see some of the detailing on costume parts, like folds in cloth and stuff. Without high lighting, all the options will look the same and you'll be puzzled for a moment wondering why all 6 options look the same. Just a warning to people whose hardware barely qualifies or to those whose hardware would gain a lot of FPS by disabling that - it'll cost a lot of the little visual details. Overall Champions is harder on your machine than CoH. Not that that should come as a shock with the years between them, but if your system did only fine with CoH it may not take Champions quite so well. On the other hand, I did make it playable on a Geforce Go 7400 (though with some artifacts), but obviously not as high detail.

Overall, the trial was probably a good idea. With the years I have in CoH I probably would have passed on Champions completely but now if the client ever came down to $20 I'd probably get it to play at least off and on.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2009, 11:46.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 31, 2009, 11:21 Narf2029

Bah, I keep hoping Arkham Asylum gets on this list. One day...  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 28, 2009, 23:31 Narf2029

I bet you mean Malkavian, and I strongly recommend you play as a "normal" race first (IE not Malkavian or Nosferatu) so you know what the Malkavian dialog is referring to. When you know what dialog options normally are, you can see that what the Malkavian says actually makes sense, in a crazy sort of way. Also yes, the community support for it reaches almost absurd levels given that community patches are still coming out for it 5 years later.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 23:32.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Borderlands Review Oct 28, 2009, 15:40 Narf2029

They're going to "monitor it," so when Gearbox "fixes it," they'll get their 5 rating.

Or, they're going to "hold out their hands," so when Gearbox "drops ten tons of money into them," they'll get their 5 rating.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 15:40.

News Comments > Metaverse
3. Re: Metaverse Oct 28, 2009, 15:36 Narf2029

Shit, do it. I bet they'll be there before your shovel hits the dirt. I guess they don't believe there's a real demand until someone else threatens to supply it. And all you gotta do is put on a hard hat and hold a shovel, and make sure someone takes a picture of it.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 15:38.

News Comments > ATI Ending DX9 Support for Many Cards
3. Re: ATI Ending DX9 Support for Many Cards Oct 28, 2009, 15:23 Narf2029

I'll admit I don't closely follow the fine details of video cards. Mine handles Source and most/all Unreal 3 engine games in max detail, but that's about all I know. I can't even tell you what kind I have without looking it up every time. GeForce 9500 GT. When I bought it, I knew only two things: my last card was so old that any store-bought card had to be a step up, and this one cost as much as 2 trips to the movies with my girlfriend.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 15:28.

News Comments > ATI Ending DX9 Support for Many Cards
1. Re: ATI Ending DX9 Support for Many Cards Oct 28, 2009, 15:21 Narf2029

Kinda blowing their load a little early, aren't they? I mean, I have no idea when I will upgrade to Win7 and I can't be the only one who isn't going to "fix" what isn't yet broken. But then again, if your DX9 card doesn't work under Win7, that's a great "incentive" to buy a new one.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 15:22.

News Comments > Fallout Preliminary Injunction Denied
11. Re: Fallout Preliminary Injunction Denied Oct 28, 2009, 15:09 Narf2029

When I see the word trilogy, I think of 1, 2, and 3. I can see why Bethesda wouldn't want them to call it that, since Fallout 3 is Bethesda's and it being absent from the so-called trilogy would make Bethesda look like the bad guy for not including it, at least to the less-knowledgeable. As far as today's gamer knows, Bethesda made them all and they're just being dicks for not including the "best" one. Now, if Interplay was releasing the Fallout Anthology (if anyone else remembers the Interplay 10 Year Anthology from way back) and Bethesda was after them then I would think Bethesda was up to no good on that particular item. Not many people would know what an anthology is (even if Interplay's usage was only barely correct), but they do know what a trilogy is.

edit: And while the box art is very direct in what it includes, you can't count on the Amazon and Best Buy and whoever else's online listing to call it "Fallout Trilogy: Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics." They'll just list it as "Fallout Trilogy," and likely at a pretty low price, and people will be like "OMG! I could get Fallout 3 for dirt cheap!" and impulse buy it (which should be their fault, but this is the United States).

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 15:18.

News Comments > Earth & Beyond Emulator
6. Re: Earth & Beyond Emulator Oct 27, 2009, 20:00 Narf2029

If they get a cease and desist, it's hard to ensure they really erased it all. Not much stops them from running unadvertised servers or even just playing it on a LAN or something.  

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
14. Re: Impulse Top 10 Oct 27, 2009, 19:58 Narf2029

I imagine they don't want these numbers visible because bad visible numbers drive away existing and potential stockholders. It'd be like Target coming out and saying "Whoa, Walmart has us by the nuts!" or in the future perhaps more like "Well, I guess this is the end of the brick-and-mortar stores that form the overwhelming majority of this company."  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.- Shadow of Chernobyl Oct 27, 2009, 00:06 Narf2029

For $5 it's a must-have. Fantastic atmosphere, patches have made it stable, and mods aplenty to enhance the experience.  

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 26, 2009, 22:44 Narf2029

Also wow, isn't Might and Magic VIII around nine years old now? And GoGamer's regular price is still $20?  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Oct 26, 2009, 22:34 Narf2029

What is this SHIT?  

1572 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo