Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1580 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
3. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Dec 10, 2009, 19:43 Narf2029

Maybe Impulse really is number 2 if you let them count boxed sales. But we should let everyone do that if Impulse can. That would put Steam so far ahead they'd be the WoW of digital distributors. Would give D2D a leg up too, since they carry quite a few of the titles Steam has. One box could count as two sales that way!

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2009, 19:44.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2009, 14:07 Narf2029

All I've got in Cincinnati is lots of wind. Makes me nervous, don't want my power to go out for a week like last year. And then later (before they said it'd be now) they say we'll get rain and maybe snow, so it'll all be slushy and dangerous. Hurray!

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 14:09.

News Comments > America's Army Game Cost $32 Million
21. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 13:39 Narf2029

I think anyone with a quarter of a lobe knows that real death is permanent.  

20. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 13:36 Narf2029

Even so, that's about $3.2 million a year for AA vs $25 million in one shot for L4D2.  

6. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 11:44 Narf2029

Very true. That may be one of the things hidden to protect this competitive position they seem to have. All the same, even if it's a complete failure, it's a complete failure that costs each of us a penny. That's not something that can be said about a lot of other governmental failures.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 11:45.

4. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 11:34 Narf2029

Yes, let's also put that in perspective - $32 million on this game in 10 years, vs $604 billion (or more) every year. In other words, our overall defense budget is 188,750 times larger than the average yearly cost of this game. Imagine the healthcare and roads you could buy with that much cake!

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 11:39.

2. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 11:29 Narf2029

I would call that an efficient use of taxpayer dollars in their purpose of advertising and recruiting. For those curious, that puts the cost per person per year at a little over one cent. Not per tax-paying person, don't know where to find that number. Their claim about their competitive position does seem strange though.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 11:31.

News Comments > Fallen Earth Military Discount
10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2009, 11:18 Narf2029

People joined the military to "kill people and break things" in the 40s too, and the public viewed that as a just cause. Those soldiers differ from today's soldiers only in the equipment and tactics they use. Neither today's soldier nor the soldier of the 40s picked the war they had to fight. If you want to stop war, great, go to Washington and have it out with a congressman because he decides what the soldiers do, not the military. Or at least, he's supposed to decide that. Serving in the defense of your home country is always a noble cause, no matter how hard politicians may try to soil that honor by using the military to further their political agenda. That is never the soldier's fault.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 11:23.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2009, 00:54 Narf2029

Yeah, I was not clear on that bit. I didn't have to swear to any god myself, being agnostic. Us godless heathens just stay silent during that part, while everyone else swears to their deity of choice.  

News Comments > Fallen Earth Military Discount
6. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2009, 00:38 Narf2029

Supporting the troops is a very, very different thing than supporting what the troops are being made to do. People act like these men and women get to pick what they want to do when they join the military...

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 00:43.

News Comments > Metaverse
11. Re: Kansas to use stimulus funds... Dec 8, 2009, 21:34 Narf2029

Then by your logic this latest boom & bust should not have happened, no?

Actually, by his logic, the frequency of booms and busts is reduced, which is true. Leaps of "logic" do not win your argument, nor boost your credibility.

Such vile hatred and intolerance spews from your mind.

His vile hatred and intolerance does not spin at least, nor does it poke in every corner for conspiracy. If you believe what Google and Youtubers tell you, god help you. No government is perfect but go live in Australia or the UK or Germany for a year and tell me we're the worst out there. Or hell, go live in Africa for a year and if you make it back alive tell us how the US government is so horrible. Hey, I know, why don't you and all the other government-hating conspiracy theorists go get elected and fix the problem instead of complaining about it? No answer is necessary.

And yes, the internet was created by the groundwork done by the US military. If I remember correctly, it was created as a way to decentralize military command and control, IE to prevent an enemy from knocking out NORAD or the Pentagon or any other large center and crippling half of our military as a result. A lot of technology we take for granted exists today because the US military developed it yesterday. A great example - we all have GPS because it's inferior to what the military uses now. It had to happen, given the staggering amount of money we spend on defense. I would bet anything that both self-driving automobiles and alternative fuels will be finished first by the US military to gain some kind of edge over whatever it is we're so determined to protect ourselves against.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2009, 21:50.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
6. Re: Legal Briefs Dec 8, 2009, 13:18 Narf2029

If they don't tell you their age, they're obviously a cop looking to bust you for holding a conversation.  

News Comments > Metaverse
6. Re: Kansas to use stimulus funds... Dec 8, 2009, 13:13 Narf2029

Hey, hey. Calm the fuck down. Everyone knows nothing at all happened anywhere in the world for any reason before each of us became a teenager.

/sarcasm, because I'm sure I'll need it for someone.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2009, 13:13.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Fleet Q&A
4. Re: Star Trek Online Fleet Q&A Dec 8, 2009, 13:08 Narf2029

Hell if I know. Never looked at Champions til they had a free weekend cuz I'm already 2 years into Heroes and they'll have to give me a good reason to move. Wouldn't shock me at all if guild stuff came later in STO. I bet Paramount has guns to their backs to get this out in a hurry, with how desperately they want the Star Trek brand to be more mainstream. If TNG is still $80 a season, the well must be drying up!

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2009, 13:10.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Preorder Bonuses
11. Re: Star Trek Online Preorder Bonuses Dec 8, 2009, 13:02 Narf2029

If I'm reading this correctly, the head start is a bonus available to at least all seven preorder outlets rather than just one as with Champions (apparently). Running an MMO is still a business, and a head start must be appealing enough to some people that it boosts overall preorder sales. In the same vein, I'm sure these exclusive preorder bonuses tailored by retailer are not done for free. If they want to pull out a host of tricks to increase their startup revenue, more power to them. I'll just cross my fingers and hope some of that extra money finds its way into polishing the game in the future. If not, people will decide to stop playing as time goes on and that will be that. Yes it should all be in a "finished" state by release rather than trying to get buyers to pay to beta test it or something, but who among us has concrete proof that it won't be finished? I'll condemn it as being broken on release day when I see it broken on release day - until then, I'll keep my interest and modest hopes. On top of that, you try telling a board of businessmen who know nothing but what presidents are on which bills that your game needs more time in the oven. That's always worked before, right?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Heileen 2: The Hands Of Fate
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Heileen 2: The Hands Of Fate Dec 7, 2009, 22:02 Narf2029

If we're lucky, they'll forget to add the credits and there will be a huge catfight.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Preorder Bonuses
9. Re: Star Trek Online Preorder Bonuses Dec 7, 2009, 21:57 Narf2029

Tribbles don't fornicate. They have orgies. What? I'm just saying!
There's fornicating going on in orgies too. More densely packed but still. Call it a literal clusterfuck.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2009, 21:52 Narf2029

Shit, that guy is a riot. Best awkward board post I've ever been involved with.  

News Comments > Impulse Top Sellers
12. Re: Impulse Top Sellers Dec 7, 2009, 21:42 Narf2029

Hey now, Impulse has Evochron Legends? Wonder if I can activate mine on there. Probably not, but still a neat bit of discovery.  

News Comments > Impulse Top Sellers
5. Re: Impulse Top Sellers Dec 7, 2009, 19:12 Narf2029

Wow, Corporate Machine needs a 75MHz processor. That's just mind-blowing blast-from-the-past stuff. Makes me think of when only the rich kids had the 486DX2/66.  

1580 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo