Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1578 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Online Interview
3. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Dec 13, 2009, 17:32 Narf2029

There was some really old LAN game that did that, I think it was simply called Bridge Crew. Never tried it myself but having it on a LAN would solve problems. At the very least you could run over and do it yourself, and maybe hit the person who's supposed to be doing it. I don't see how you could make that work reliably online, let alone in an MMO. When it all fell together, it would be really great and memorable. On the other hand, something would go wrong 9 out of 10 times at least especially if you had to pick-up to fill out the roster.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced
1. Re: Team Fortress 2 Crafting Announced Dec 13, 2009, 14:19 Narf2029

Next we'll all be collecting an assortment of clothing and body armor that will have a garish color assortment but we'll put up with it because it gives us the bonuses we want. Nothing screams manly like a dwarven hunter in pink pants.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 13, 2009, 14:10 Narf2029

Is Tales of Valor worth getting at that price? From what I hear it doesn't add much.  

News Comments > Batman Arkham Asylum 2 Announced
5. Re: Batman Arkham Asylum 2 Announced Dec 12, 2009, 22:10 Narf2029

Didn't watch it myself, so that sounds like good news to me.  

News Comments > Batman Arkham Asylum 2 Announced
3. Re: Batman Arkham Asylum 2 Announced Dec 12, 2009, 21:50 Narf2029

Maybe we'll get lucky and Arkham Asylum 2 is just a placeholder name to get people following it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 12, 2009, 15:29 Narf2029

So I was looking at the comments on last night's On Sale just now, and I was redirected to some IGuardPC site, which my antivirus blocked because it apparently has a Javascript exploit. Apparently it was just the one time because I've gone back now and it's not redirecting me. Just pointing it out because anytime I see anything that pops up and says I need to protect my system from some evil, I'm pretty sure the evil will come from the same place.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2009, 15:36.

News Comments > New Atari CEO
5. Re: New Atari CEO Dec 11, 2009, 21:55 Narf2029

I understand the business model. Initial sales will not keep them alive forever, but I didn't claim that. Just for a short while. I'd bet anything STO will initially sell a ton of copies. Whether or not anyone sticks around after the first few months is another matter entirely, but for those first few months Cryptic will be fine. I agree that if STO does not continue to do well after the first few months they will be in trouble. I think Champions is not doing so well because it's too much like City of Heroes. Graphics aside, I think City of Heroes is a superior game (I'm sure years of polishing is a factor). I have a lot of time invested in City of Heroes as well, and Champions doesn't offer enough difference for me to seriously consider dropping City of Heroes for it. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. And then Going Rogue is said to have a graphics overhaul in it, which will no doubt narrow the graphics gap between City of Heroes and Champions, if not close it entirely. Champions is also rather too much like WoW, especially in the way it handles missions. I wonder when developers will realize that having their game draw comparisons to WoW is a bad thing because the comparison always ends with how WoW did it first and does it better. I'm tempted to pick up Champions since it's $15 from Atari's online store right now, but by all accounts I could easily see almost everything it has to offer in the month that comes with it - another point against it, especially since I have about a week's worth of a head start from the free trials. Even costume creation is sub-par compared to City of Heroes, even if you ignore what has been added in City of Heroes since launch. Costume coordination is so difficult in Champions it's not even funny. It's like each body part had six art teams and none of them talked to each other. You like that chest pattern? Too bad there's nothing like it for any other part of the body. It's almost as though Champions wasn't seen as a serious project from the get-go, like it's just something for people to do while they wait for STO as well as being an engine test-bed since if I remember correctly both games use the same engine.

Anyway, I'm not saying Cryptic's future will be secured if STO initially does well, but it will keep the axe off their neck for a few months and really, what company looks farther ahead than that anymore? I made a point in another thread that there will probably be an unusually large proportion of people who buy both the collector's and deluxe editions because that's just what die-hard Trekkies do. That alone would get Cryptic/Atari $140 for each of those people, which would be small change to a person that can find $500 to spend on the complete TNG DVD set. And if they offer lifetime subscriptions, that same unusually large group will jump on that.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 22:41.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Collector's and Digital Deluxe Editions
7. Re: Star Trek Online Collector's Edition and a Digital Deluxe Edition Dec 11, 2009, 21:27 Narf2029

They can do it because it's Star Trek. They can also have both a collector's and deluxe edition with different bonuses because it's Star Trek and they know people will buy both versions because of that. If you can get people to pay close to $600 for all of one TV show (TNG), you can get them to pay for anything.

edit: It's come down a bit. Now it's "only" a little under $500 without a Christmas special. Then again, back when it first came out it was $840 for the whole thing.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 21:30.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 11, 2009, 21:21 Narf2029

D2D doesn't have a Steam-like program. Have to activate your game upon installation. You may or may not also get the DRM included in the normal version of the game. They tend to lag behind quite a bit on patches, and normal patches usually won't work on D2D stuff but there are exceptions. Don't know if Dragon Age is one of those exceptions but I would be surprised if it was.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 21:23.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 11, 2009, 20:57 Narf2029

Also a 50% off sale going at Atari's online store.  

News Comments > New Atari CEO
2. Re: New Atari CEO Dec 11, 2009, 15:31 Narf2029

STO will keep them alive a while. Good or bad, it's bound to have a large initial playerbase.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 11, 2009, 14:41 Narf2029

No shit. Didn't some poll show that 90% of Australians supported an 18+ rating for video games? 90! When has 90% of a population agreed on anything before?  

10. Atari sale Dec 11, 2009, 13:58 Narf2029

For anyone interested, Atari is having a 50% off sale. Among other things it makes Champions Online $15, so you'd basically get the client for free if you wanted to try it out for cheap.  

News Comments > America's Army Game Cost $32 Million
42. Re: Game Reviews Dec 11, 2009, 00:09 Narf2029

Of course you're not talking about world politics - that would invalidate your argument. You can't make the US look like an evil bully if people start throwing around their silly facts that make everyone else look that way too.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 00:10.

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
7. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Dec 10, 2009, 23:52 Narf2029

That or they've got the business sector locked down tight.  

News Comments > New on Steam
3. Re: New on Steam Dec 10, 2009, 23:51 Narf2029

Yeah really, and how much does all that DLC cost? That must be like the Warhammer 40K of train sims.  

News Comments > Borderlands De-Authorization Tool
7. Re: Borderlands De-Authorization Tool Dec 10, 2009, 23:40 Narf2029

And the pirates are playing the original and the DLC without the installation limits. Go progress! One day, maybe, the developers and publishers will wake up and realize "hey, if I call my wife a scumbag and a criminal, she'll leave! Maybe that's why my customers are leaving too!" Yeah right.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2009, 23:41.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Dec 10, 2009, 19:55 Narf2029

At least when renting for a dollar, someone is getting a dollar. I don't even rent movies. If the public library here doesn't have it, I can wait until they do because free fits into everyone's budget. Of course I recognize I'm fairly lucky to have access to a public library that, taxes aside, is completely free. But let's be fair - if the library didn't receive tax money from the state, the state would still collect that money.  

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
3. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Dec 10, 2009, 19:43 Narf2029

Maybe Impulse really is number 2 if you let them count boxed sales. But we should let everyone do that if Impulse can. That would put Steam so far ahead they'd be the WoW of digital distributors. Would give D2D a leg up too, since they carry quite a few of the titles Steam has. One box could count as two sales that way!

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2009, 19:44.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2009, 14:07 Narf2029

All I've got in Cincinnati is lots of wind. Makes me nervous, don't want my power to go out for a week like last year. And then later (before they said it'd be now) they say we'll get rain and maybe snow, so it'll all be slushy and dangerous. Hurray!

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 14:09.

1578 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo