Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1580 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 11, 2013, 23:29 Narf2029

Having a blast with Payday 2. I'm not the world's best at shooters by any stretch of the imagination but I like to think I'm pretty decent. I've mostly been playing it with my brother and 2 bots on +1 jobs, and I find it to be challenging but fair for someone of my skill level. We've had more than a few close calls, some of which lasted for up to 5 minutes of continuous pressure and even a little desperation (5 minutes is a LONG time in this), but we've always managed to pull it off every time and have yet to lose.

At least for someone of my skill level, Payday 2 does a phenomenal job of striking a balance between thrill and frustration. 90% of the time if I went down it's because I didn't look around before I went somewhere, but then a bot pulled me up, I got my head back in the game and we got it done. It forgives the occasional screw-up but you definitely feel like you're one or two mistakes from blowing it at times and that keeps you feeling tense, until you haul everything out and feel relief at your escape. Obviously you won't feel like that every time you play, but it's nice that you have a tangible sense of accomplishment somewhat often. It's exciting to be the one running halfway across the street and back, pitching bags into the safety of an alley so your buddy can load the van between sprays of suppressing fire, with bullets flying all around from all sides and you're just praying that not too many hit you at once because if you go down in the street you're in deep trouble and you hauled all that cash out of the vault for nothing.

I will say as it stands, those who are looking for stealthy heists are probably going to be disappointed - bystanders across the street spot hostages with almost superhuman ease, and often the easiest/only way to be sneaky is to kill a lot of them before they call the police. It's obvious that the developers watched Heat close to a million times, since the emphasis is clearly on huge, loud gunfights against lots of cops. And I mean loud - if you leave the volume settings on default, good luck hearing your team if they say something important while you or they are shooting. Gunshots also echo down the street when you fire outdoors, which is a great atmospheric touch and again is straight out of Heat. The system by which weapon mods are awarded leaves a lot to be desired as well, but the developers seem to be open to making changes based on feedback and hopefully that will extend to the way mods are obtained. Overall though, it's probably the best cooperative shooter I've played in years and is worth every penny.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saints Row IV Gameplay Footage
8. Re: Saints Row IV Gameplay Footage Aug 4, 2013, 16:59 Narf2029

GTA IV was too rooted, to the point of being tedious. I don't think I even got halfway through it. Saints Row 2 on the other hand I've probably done from start to finish a dozen times, if not more. Saints Row 3 was good as well, but I guess I didn't find it as good as 2 since I've only beaten it maybe 3 times tops. I think the variety of clothing and vehicles in 2 helped, because of the ridiculous combinations you could make.

My brother's "Joseph Stalin, PI" was among the most memorable to me - Joseph Stalin running around in a brown suit, trenchcoat and fedora, with his trusty revolver and pimp cane, hitting the streets in a Baron or dogfighting police helicopters in a triplane. Saints Row 3 had its share of over the top but it didn't have quite as many ways to make it personal and thus memorable. Just the very act of trying to shoot down police helicopters in a triplane was hilarious, especially if you actually managed to down one.

That said, I still preordered SR4 within an hour of it becoming available on Steam.

News Comments > XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month?
13. Re: XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month? Aug 1, 2013, 13:33 Narf2029

True. Some variety would have been welcome. With the new one, a plasma sniper is better than a laser sniper is better than a bullet sniper, or whichever. They all have the same number of shots so the only clear choice is to keep moving up the chain. If the new one's lasers had unlimited shots like the good old days, I probably would have stuck with them there too, even if they were only marginally better than bullet weapons. I doubt that would have worked out though, since having the option of suppressive fire with a weapon that never ran out would offer the player a tremendous advantage. The only choice I really felt I had was giving my assault soldiers rifles instead of shotguns. The shotgun was super awesome 25% of the time when you were close enough, but the other 75% of the time it was nice to have a weapon that could kill things at a distance.  

News Comments > XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month?
11. Re: XCOM Enemy Within Announcement This Month? Aug 1, 2013, 13:25 Narf2029

1badmf wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 11:34:
also more weapon/armor types. i hated how by the end everyone was wearing pretty much the same thing/every class had one ultimate weapon.

That personally didn't bother me much, but my approach in the original was always laser rifles for everyone. No heavy lasers, no plasma weapons, no autocannons, just laser rifles. With the item limit on a drop, using a high-accuracy and no-ammo weapon like the laser rifle meant more boyz and more grenades, and I could put on an Imperial Guard-style lightshow every time because again, no ammo. Casualties? Eh, so what. Suit up a new guy and give him a lasgun. With 14 guys, someone will kill it.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 1, 2013, 01:32 Narf2029

Shit, I was on broadband in 2002 I think. Don't quote me on that, that's a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure. Basically whenever it got rolled out in Cincinnati I jumped right on it, with those goofy DSL modems and the phone line splitters that only sort of worked.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details
16. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details Jul 31, 2013, 17:38 Narf2029

I didn't see myself playing it anyway... didn't they say Kevin Conroy wouldn't be voicing Batman? Kevin Conroy IS Batman. He's so Batman you could just dub him over Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, even Christian Bale and it'd be ok. In some cases *cough* it might even improve it.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details
14. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details Jul 31, 2013, 17:14 Narf2029

MP would have been nice for Arkham City, or at least the cooperative variety. They made such a big deal about having a playable Catwoman in there and you didn't actually do much with her. Yeah it would've taken some changes to fit her in, but then she'd do something, lol.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2013, 15:53 Narf2029

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 14:05:
Hey now I'm sure Congress is very broken up about their 17% approval rating. Devastated even. Yup.

See what effect that has next time there's an election, and you'll see why American government is so fucked up.

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
18. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 17:00 Narf2029

Flatline wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 16:58:
Narf2029 wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 16:11:
The guy even looks like a douchebag...

He buried the needle on my "hipster" detector.

According to Wikipedia, he's French Canadian. Suddenly, everything makes sense.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Lawmakers Who Upheld NSA Phone Spying Received Double the Defense Industry Cash Jul 28, 2013, 16:41 Narf2029

In other news, a huge ball of fire was seen rising in the eastern sky this morning. After peaking overhead around mid-day, it began to sink to the west. Experts predict the phenomenon is likely to occur again in the near future and urge citizens to remain calm.  

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
7. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 16:11 Narf2029

The guy even looks like a douchebag...  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Shadowrun Returns Jul 25, 2013, 15:07 Narf2029

Worried about the checkpoint-based saving. Maybe that will get changed in a patch.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2013, 19:01 Narf2029

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 13:53:
How exactly is Wikipedia not already mainstream?

Agreed. More often than not I check Wikipedia before Google when I want to know what something is.

News Comments > StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter
12. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 18:53 Narf2029

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 16:42:
Narf2029 wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 12:54:
I couldn't bring myself to put $3 down for it. I don't need photorealistic graphics but I am so over the "retro" style, the blocky style, and whatever else. Indie is not an excuse to make things that look like shit.

For $3 that is what you get. If you want glistening abs then the entry fee is $60.

That's kind of what I'm saying. I don't mind paying $50 or even $60 for something that's worth $50 or $60. In the same vein, I don't want to spend $3 if it means $3 production values. I have tons of other crap that I haven't even played yet, so I'm definitely past the point where a small price alone will hook me. I'm sure the game is a lot of fun for people who have fun with Minecraft, but I played Minecraft way back in its early super-rough days too. It was fun but I've had my fill, and nowadays you can't throw a stone without hitting an indie title that looks like crap. I can understand sacrificing graphics for game mechanics but don't sacrifice *all* of the graphics. Saying indie games "look quirky" or that the graphics have "special charm" is just like when you say it about women; a polite and thinly-veiled way of saying you wish she was hotter. One wouldn't say it when she was in earshot, would they?

Again, I'm not saying graphics are the be-all-end-all of a good game, far from it, but who here still plays Dwarf Fortress? That's an extreme example, sure, since playing that is like looking at the code of the Matrix - after a while you just see dwarf, goblin, elf. Sure, the game mechanics are deep and involving, but probably 99% of players that try it out give up before they figure anything out because even looking at it is a puzzle. I'm sure that's a huge factor in why it's free - if people had to tackle a learning curve just to understand what is going on but also had to pay for the privilege, the word of mouth would be damning.

News Comments > StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter
2. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 12:54 Narf2029

I couldn't bring myself to put $3 down for it. I don't need photorealistic graphics but I am so over the "retro" style, the blocky style, and whatever else. Indie is not an excuse to make things that look like shit.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 22, 2013, 08:02 Narf2029

I dunno, that's kind of like blaming Oneida for electrocuting yourself by sticking a fork in an outlet. Or more accurately, the manufacturer of the outlet, but I'm not sure there is such a thing as a name-brand outlet. Or, blaming the outlet manufacturer for electrocution after you plugged in an electrical cord you bought in a dark alley whose logo was drawn on the tag in crayon. Bottom line, as long as holes exist, people are going to stick things in them that don't belong.  

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 16, 2013, 14:12 Narf2029

You said it, buddy.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 15, 2013, 10:15 Narf2029

Great. Thank you both so much. Now that will be stuck in my head all day.

edit: After two unsuccessful attempts to get the song out of my head, I read the article and wow. Might be the most blatant cash grab I've ever seen.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 10:28.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 11:02 Narf2029

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:14:
Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:09:
Oculus Rift looks interesting but its the kind of thing I would never purchase without being able to try out for an hour or two.
I am pretty sure when they finally release them in retail there will be plenty of demo stations setup where you can try it, as well as return policy in place, as I can see that thing can make people sick.

I was about to buy the TrackIR also for Arma3 but I will hold off and see how the OR shapes up to be.
So far what I have seen of it, it looks like it will be awesome

I hope there's some kind of test setup. It sounds neat but 3D and VR stuff have all been migraine factories for me. I'd love Oculus for Star Citizen, but only if a few hours of play doesn't split my head in half and make me eat the device.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 10, 2013, 09:45 Narf2029

sharonbn wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 09:43:
The AVG search topic is dated Jan 2012 on AVG forum with the last post in the thread dated May of this year.
Any reason why this should be notified today ?!?

Probably because it's half funny, half excellent-cautionary-tale no matter when you read it.

1580 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo