Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1585 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Does Apple’s iPad Prove We’re Too Gullible? Feb 11, 2010, 23:38 Narf2029

I applaud the iPad. It's managed to do what no other Apple product has done - get Apple's customers to question them. Every time I read someone's review or discussion where they ask "What is the iPad beyond being a larger iPhone?" I smile. Looking at its capabilities I'm astounded that anyone would consider getting one. The majority of Apple customers will still blindly grab it because it says Apple on it, but Apple has finally knocked a tiny crack into the ice they've been standing on all this time.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2010, 23:22 Narf2029

I've also played both. I'm quite satisfied to stick with 3rd. 4th is more in line with gaming in general, not just WoW. With the changes to the alignment system it's one step closer to Mother Teresa vs Baby Eater. I suppose it couldn't come as a shock, given that 3rd has the extra alignment flexibility and yet still NWN and (especially) NWN2 boil down to you ending up either as the shining pillar of virtue or the deranged sociopath with an insatiable lust for cruelty and blood who would only lift an orphan from the streets to bludgeon another orphan to death with him.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2010, 23:54.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2010, 14:28 Narf2029

There's already a 4th edition D&D video game out. They call it World of Warcraft. There is such a thing as too accessible.

edit: typo

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2010, 14:29.

News Comments > City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade
18. Re: City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade Feb 10, 2010, 21:57 Narf2029

I have Champions and I'm not impressed with the character creator. Sure it has a lot of different pieces but that's the problem, they're all different. I lost count of how many times I tried to make a cohesive costume only to find that there was either a piece or a pattern missing that prevented it. It's like each body part had a dozen art teams and none of them coordinated with each other. I haven't played in a while so maybe it's improved now but I doubt it.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 21:59.

News Comments > City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade
3. Re: City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade Feb 10, 2010, 11:59 Narf2029

I'm more interested to see what it does to characters and their costumes. The character customization in City of Heroes is still unparalleled even in its old age, and I'm anxious to see its (hopefully) new sharper and prettier look.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 12:00.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 8, 2010, 23:06 Narf2029

Modern Warfare 2 is going to sell less? Really? I never would have guessed. Could it be because everyone has it already? Rolleyes  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Capacity Increased
4. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 7, 2010, 16:41 Narf2029

It is Super Bowl weekend. More calloffs than any day of the year. They may go watch the game later but they have to do something until then.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta for "All Fans"?
3. Re: StarCraft II Beta for Feb 5, 2010, 12:27 Narf2029

Just bad news for the rest of the world. Surely Korea alone can provide far more than the number of beta testers Blizzard wants.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Feb 4, 2010, 23:31 Narf2029

I know nothing's truly original anymore but wow. Reading that reminds me of how the makers of The Island got sued because they basically lifted the entire plot from The Clonus Horror. I realized that while watching The Island only because I saw The Clonus Horror on MST3K, but it was still amusing. Further, didn't Cameron learn his lesson with Terminator?

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 23:36.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Midnight Madness
3. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 1, 2010, 14:48 Narf2029

Don't really see the point lol. If you're at the store, you're not playing the head start. If you're going in hopes of getting a box, the game won't work for regular purchases til 10am Pacific anyway.  

News Comments > Safety Dance
3. Re: Study: Distracted driving laws don't stop crashes. Jan 31, 2010, 23:22 Narf2029

Distracted driving laws don't stop stupid people, and the government is never going to pass any law against stupid people. Since there are more stupid people than any other kind of person, stupid people pay the largest portion of the government's tax income. Would you bite the hand that fed you?  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Head Start Program Update
10. Re: Star Trek Online Head Start Program Update Jan 30, 2010, 16:03 Narf2029

I'm personally enjoying it a lot. Yesterday was smooth. Today I don't know. I didn't have time to try playing until 20 minutes ago, where I learned the server had been down for 40 minutes. Just gotta find something else to do til it comes back up. I liked it enough during open beta that I went for the lifetime as well.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 30, 2010, 16:00 Narf2029

After all that 3D Realms has done, and more importantly what they have not, I don't think Scott Miller should be telling anyone how to use their money.  

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
2. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Jan 30, 2010, 15:55 Narf2029

Seems like more people are waiting until the last minute to get STO. I did notice last night that there were tons of people who didn't know what was going on and where things were, so they obviously didn't play in the beta.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2010, 15:56.

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes Gets Vampires and Werewolves
8. Re: Battlefield Heroes Gets Vampires and Werewolves Jan 30, 2010, 00:01 Narf2029

It's not often I read a news posting here and I'm stunned so much I have to blink and shake my head, but here it is.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Head Start Program Update
2. Re: Star Trek Online Head Start Program Update Jan 29, 2010, 23:59 Narf2029

I think the issues are getting sorted just fine. Odds are they'll get fixed quickly since they are so few, and the launch will have close to no issues or none at all (aside from the day one rush).  

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles Patch, DLC Plans, Postmortem
4. Re: No Control Jan 29, 2010, 17:50 Narf2029

I think that's rather the point of the game though, control at a strategic level instead of a tactical one.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 29, 2010, 14:05 Narf2029

It's kind of Apple's fault. If I'm not mistaken there was nothing from them about what the iPad would or would not do. When you leave the public to speculate as to just what something is or does, you end up with nothing but disappointed people who won't buy it because it's not what they wanted.  

News Comments > GOG.com Gets Activision
20. Re: GOG.com Gets Activision Jan 28, 2010, 13:36 Narf2029

Their setup is a nice deal. It took a couple years before D2D put up a Silent Hunter 3 installer that didn't require an activation, and that's not really something they needed to do so I'm pleased they did, but you can never be sure D2D or anyone else will do something like that until they already have.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2010, 13:37.

News Comments > BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers
23. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 22:23 Narf2029

I don't think it's a big deal that Bioshock 2 will not have LAN or dedicated servers. I do think it's a big deal that it's another game going that route. The more games that use this design philosophy now, the more games will use it in the future.

How many companies have to do this before it becomes a serious problem? By the time most people realize it's a real issue, too many companies will be doing it for consumers to be able to turn it around. Even if most of us have no intention of ever playing Bioshock 2 in multiplayer, buying it as such tells 2K's bean counters that we want that. It also tells everyone else's bean counters that, according to Infinity Ward (proven), 2K Games and Blizzard (speculative), we want less flexibility and more direct company control in our multiplayer options. Give it five or ten years and we'll be up to our noses in games that don't work anymore because the developer runs the only server that lets you play, and they don't want to run it anymore so they can make you get the new game. EA's been doing this for years with their sports games, at least for multiplayer. It was only a matter of time before it spread.

This is how production standards are eroded. First they tell us, "Take a look at our upcoming game! It's the dog's nuts! Our atmosphere is second to none. The AI is simply brilliant. 50 hours of challenge and fun, plus countless hours of compelling multiplayer! Oh, and you can't play LAN." Then it's more like, "Take a look at this one! Simply brilliant! The atmosphere is pretty neat. Our AI is pretty bright. 40 hours of challenge and fun, if you die a few times and stop to read every single word of the narrative. Oh, and only we can host multiplayer servers, and you still can't play LAN but you're ok with that now." Then, "Check this out! If you don't compare it to our previous efforts, it's the shit! 20 hours of challenge and fun, if you leave the game running every time you take a dump. Highly atmospheric and immersive levels that are an amazing forty meters wide! Five unique weapons, WITH SECONDARY FIRE! Our AI can walk through doors and not even bump into the sides! Oh, still no LAN or server hosting. Since you're ok with that, we don't want you playing it at all without online verification each time you start it up." Production value goes down, not just in corners cut from the game itself but also in what the extras (or lack thereof) cost. Every time consumers accept the next cut corner, they cut another. When does it end? Never, if developers keep doing it and we consumers keep rewarding them for it.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 22:34.

1585 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo