Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Narf2029

Real Name Narf2029   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Narf2029
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 4, 2001, 03:12
Total Comments 1572 (Pro)
User ID 11815

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Direct2Drive Top 10
2. Re: Direct2Drive Top 10 Jan 30, 2010, 15:55 Narf2029

Seems like more people are waiting until the last minute to get STO. I did notice last night that there were tons of people who didn't know what was going on and where things were, so they obviously didn't play in the beta.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2010, 15:56.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes Gets Vampires and Werewolves
8. Re: Battlefield Heroes Gets Vampires and Werewolves Jan 30, 2010, 00:01 Narf2029

It's not often I read a news posting here and I'm stunned so much I have to blink and shake my head, but here it is.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Head Start Program Update
2. Re: Star Trek Online Head Start Program Update Jan 29, 2010, 23:59 Narf2029

I think the issues are getting sorted just fine. Odds are they'll get fixed quickly since they are so few, and the launch will have close to no issues or none at all (aside from the day one rush).  

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles Patch, DLC Plans, Postmortem
4. Re: No Control Jan 29, 2010, 17:50 Narf2029

I think that's rather the point of the game though, control at a strategic level instead of a tactical one.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 29, 2010, 14:05 Narf2029

It's kind of Apple's fault. If I'm not mistaken there was nothing from them about what the iPad would or would not do. When you leave the public to speculate as to just what something is or does, you end up with nothing but disappointed people who won't buy it because it's not what they wanted.  

News Comments > GOG.com Gets Activision
20. Re: GOG.com Gets Activision Jan 28, 2010, 13:36 Narf2029

Their setup is a nice deal. It took a couple years before D2D put up a Silent Hunter 3 installer that didn't require an activation, and that's not really something they needed to do so I'm pleased they did, but you can never be sure D2D or anyone else will do something like that until they already have.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2010, 13:37.

News Comments > BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers
23. Re: BioShock 2 MP Details: No LAN or Dedicated Servers Jan 27, 2010, 22:23 Narf2029

I don't think it's a big deal that Bioshock 2 will not have LAN or dedicated servers. I do think it's a big deal that it's another game going that route. The more games that use this design philosophy now, the more games will use it in the future.

How many companies have to do this before it becomes a serious problem? By the time most people realize it's a real issue, too many companies will be doing it for consumers to be able to turn it around. Even if most of us have no intention of ever playing Bioshock 2 in multiplayer, buying it as such tells 2K's bean counters that we want that. It also tells everyone else's bean counters that, according to Infinity Ward (proven), 2K Games and Blizzard (speculative), we want less flexibility and more direct company control in our multiplayer options. Give it five or ten years and we'll be up to our noses in games that don't work anymore because the developer runs the only server that lets you play, and they don't want to run it anymore so they can make you get the new game. EA's been doing this for years with their sports games, at least for multiplayer. It was only a matter of time before it spread.

This is how production standards are eroded. First they tell us, "Take a look at our upcoming game! It's the dog's nuts! Our atmosphere is second to none. The AI is simply brilliant. 50 hours of challenge and fun, plus countless hours of compelling multiplayer! Oh, and you can't play LAN." Then it's more like, "Take a look at this one! Simply brilliant! The atmosphere is pretty neat. Our AI is pretty bright. 40 hours of challenge and fun, if you die a few times and stop to read every single word of the narrative. Oh, and only we can host multiplayer servers, and you still can't play LAN but you're ok with that now." Then, "Check this out! If you don't compare it to our previous efforts, it's the shit! 20 hours of challenge and fun, if you leave the game running every time you take a dump. Highly atmospheric and immersive levels that are an amazing forty meters wide! Five unique weapons, WITH SECONDARY FIRE! Our AI can walk through doors and not even bump into the sides! Oh, still no LAN or server hosting. Since you're ok with that, we don't want you playing it at all without online verification each time you start it up." Production value goes down, not just in corners cut from the game itself but also in what the extras (or lack thereof) cost. Every time consumers accept the next cut corner, they cut another. When does it end? Never, if developers keep doing it and we consumers keep rewarding them for it.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 22:34.

News Comments > Evening Previews
3. Re: Evening Previews Jan 27, 2010, 22:08 Narf2029

Wouldn't be much sense of accomplishment if you could get whatever you wanted for free, would there? Besides, if the Federation is in a standoff or at war with everyone, surely there is some level of rationing.

If anything, I would say Cryptic had every serious intention of making Champions Online a good or possibly great game, right until the second the Star Trek license dropped into their lap. Who wouldn't drop what they were doing to make the first/only MMO in the Star Trek universe? It sucks for the Champions players, but seeing that they're getting ready to drop a patch of "incredibly large size" and they have an expansion coming up, maybe Star Trek (or rather, Star Trek's money) is what Champions needed.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 22:11.

News Comments > Champions Online Kitchen Sink Patch & Expansion Plans
4. Re: Champions Online Kitchen Sink Patch & Expansion Plans Jan 27, 2010, 21:51 Narf2029

Do you really have nothing better to do with your life than slam Cryptic in every single news posting that mentions their name or the names of their products? Did they sexually violate a family member or run over your dog or call you names on the playground as a kid or what?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Verizon FiOS Growth Slowing Down Jan 27, 2010, 12:20 Narf2029

I'm thinking it has more to do with the real global economic collapse going on, and less to do with conspiracy theories. Just my two cents toward rational thinking. Really though, it has nothing to do with any human economy. Our economy is collapsing because the Beta Centaurians are draining all of our resources to fight the evil Denebolians and keep them and their dirty Communist puppets from taking over not only our world but this quadrant of the galaxy.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 12:26.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
20. Re: Legal Briefs Jan 27, 2010, 00:20 Narf2029

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 21:20:
I thought songs were $0.99 each? That's what the fine should be then, not some ridiculous amount.

Don't forget, they have to imagine how many people she shared them with and whip her for those lost sales too, which makes no sense. I mean, they don't sit in court and imagine how many people overdosed on the stuff this specific drug dealer sold and add that to his sentence. Or hey, why doesn't a person who kills a doctor or nurse get charged for 50 counts of murder instead of one because who knows how many lives could have been saved by that dead doctor/nurse?

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 00:23.

19. Re: Game Reviews Jan 27, 2010, 00:18 Narf2029

Pfft, Blue should make a separate blog for all of his crazy drivers. Not enough room on Blue's News for crazy drivers and the dogs.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online End of Beta Event
20. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Jan 27, 2010, 00:13 Narf2029

I still think it was worth all the time and money I spent on it. I didn't go in expecting the second coming though. Star Trek is a tough franchise to tackle, with what, five TV shows and close to a dozen movies? All that variety means no matter what they do, it won't be perfect for everyone. As an MMO I think it's quite fun. Is it an epic title with a beautifully crafted and intricate story? No, it's an MMO. Does it have the most in-depth and complex tactics and strategy ever seen in a game? No, it's an MMO. For what it is and what I realistically expected it to be, I think it is very worthwhile and entertaining.  

14. Re: Game Reviews Jan 26, 2010, 14:45 Narf2029

American drivers are amazing. On the way home from work a couple years back I saw a woman driving down the highway reading a fucking book. Then the highway turned and she didn't. She was damn lucky it was pretty much just flat grass and a slight uphill grade outside that turn.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2010, 14:45.

News Comments > Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication
20. Re: Ubisoft Plans Mandatory Online Authentication Jan 26, 2010, 12:29 Narf2029

Just keep in mind that only the legitimate customers will have to put up with it. It's the internet, I'm sure it will be cracked. That should not be a necessary step however.  

News Comments > Gamer Rehab Interview
4. Re: Gamer Rehab Interview Jan 26, 2010, 00:09 Narf2029

People will do or say anything to get in the news.  

News Comments > Steam Top Sellers
10. Re: Steam Top Sellers Jan 25, 2010, 01:39 Narf2029

Hah, hardly. My expectations of other people are probably just unreasonably high. I just can't comprehend why some people would rather seek out and stick to things that piss them off instead of doing something enjoyable.  

News Comments > Steam Top Sellers
8. Re: Steam Top Sellers Jan 25, 2010, 00:44 Narf2029

If I remember right, that was a problem associated with certain vendors. D2D comes to mind. Basically, they had you download the wrong client which then had to be fixed.

I don't get all the hate that seems to be out there about STO. Maybe it's just because Star Trek is a big name and has more people talking about it by default, whether they like it or not. Personally I find it quite entertaining. I'm already having more fun than I ever got out of WoW. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. I just wish the people who don't like it would stop going on crusades against it (haven't seen that here... yet) and go play something that is fun to them.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2010, 00:48.

5. Re: Legal Briefs Jan 24, 2010, 00:12 Narf2029

All this fighting to keep their profits coming and to stop their artists from leaving is probably the most work the music industry has ever done.  

News Comments > Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now
38. Re: Last Word on BioShock 2 DRM, For Now Jan 23, 2010, 16:17 Narf2029

A lot of the backlash was their attitude. Probably every DRM designer and big publisher using DRM thinks the consumer is a criminal. Starforce just came out and said it.  

1572 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo